test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Call for Sustainable Game Play

spycho2spycho2 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
In the past 4 years since I started playing STO I have seen the developers come out with new content which is many cases is innovative and has a promising future. However, at the end of the day I have yet to see anything come about which truely sustains the intrest of the players for a prolonged period of time.

Throughout my life computer games have always been one of my favorite past times. Yet I feel in some ways the modern MMOs have lost their spark which made the MMORPG genra so great. People no longer wander around a world changing it as they play. There is no originality or true personalization in the world. What we play now is a far cry from the original concept of the MMORPG. We play in worlds (from STO to SWTOR to WoW to DCU and more) that give you a predefined set of goals in a static world and ask you to complete them with your friends.

This modern template for an MMO seems to be failing misserably. No modern MMO has acheived the sucess of EVE or Star Wars Galaxies(Pre-cu) or Everquest or WoW. I feel what is needed is a new take on how the modern MMO worlds run. I feel care needs to be taken to give players, per-character, new content which will sustain the intrest of the player for a substancially longer period of time then it does now.

Tetris, Space Engineers, Minecraft, Star Wars Galaxies, Eve Online, all of these game have strong levels of sustainable game play. For me Space engineers is a perfect example. Space Engineers comes out with maybe 3 building blocks a week because the game is still in beta. Yet with every weekly update they are adding multiple weeks of in game activity. In Eve Online the set up of the game allows people to live out events which are worthy of real life story telling. Star Wars Galaxies was the same. Events which are not only unscripted but not predetermined in any way.

There are many benefits to be gained from a shift in focus to content which will give players specificly more to do for a longer period of time. It would increase logins, slow down the rate at which new players cycle in and out of the game and increase the over all attension said game reseives. On top of this, most importantly, more sustainable game play will allow the developers to be more creative. They will have more time to work on cool new intresting concepts instead of having to go with the sure bet because updates and expansions wont be the life or death affairs for the Devs the way they are now.

I would like to finish by saying this is nothing more then my oppinions and feeling on the matter. I truely expect nothing to come of this but I felt strong enough about it to put it in writing for others to see. If any of this is unagreeable i apologize. I love star trek and 4 years ago i decide to make STO my number 1 game to play. Since then I have seen strong repetition in the content which has come out and i have seen great concepts completely removed. This is in a way a plee for something other then the status quo. To all who read this thank you for your time.
Post edited by spycho2 on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you have seen the MMORPG HERE then you can see the intent is to put out much more playable Content over the next 18 months.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    If you have seen the MMORPG HERE then you can see the intent is to put out much more playable Content over the next 18 months.

We all know that they can make great story missions if they feel like it. I hope what the article says about the future will come true. :)
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The problem is that Star Trek doesn't support this type of sandbox content. The most we can get is from the Foundry system, but lots of people never touch it. It has to deal with that our characters are a Captain so the type of content we can do is limited. My character can't set up a Sushi bar on Vulcan or I can't design my own starship or starbase. Scripted content is what STO survives on and it would take a lot of effort to introduce Dynamic content where players can change how the Galaxy is run.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    qjunior wrote: »
    We all know that they can make great story missions if they feel like it. I hope what the article says about the future will come true. :)
    You and I both. Lack of playable Content has been my biggest complaint about STO for the last 4.5 years. It is not like I expected something new every week, but something new every 4-6 weeks would have been cool.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I hope they are serious about it because I chat with a lot of people and my fleet specificly is almost completely filled with lifers and all the people who i have talked to who have an oppinion feel the exact same way I do. Right now in STO its all a thinly vailed illusion of creativity and originality. & to starkaos, I completely understand what you are saying and it is the main reason i have accepted what comes. However I heard a lot of talk in the old days of sandbox tools for various functions and it never came. I personally would accept any push in the direction of sandbox even a slight push. I have played star trek for a long time and i will not stop but I would like to see effort towards pushing some parts of the game that direction. This will also become easier to do as more sustainable content such as the random exploration generation comes out. EQ3 will be comming out at some point and Minecraft just sold to Microsoft for 2.5Billion so it would behoove them to jump on the bandwagon before theyre left running to catch up.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Corporatism.

It's the same reason you will never see another raging bull or apocalypse now etc.

Most of us old-timers do remember the heyday of gaming where you'd see brand new technology and creativity being pushed to see gameplay never seen before.

But that has been over for 10-15 years.

They call it the stagnation of gaming by the way but could easily translate into a universal term to describe the processes of the movie idiocracy, which is a prophecy not a comedy
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Believe me when I say the concept is not lost on me sir. I spent all morning discussing that very issue with my fleet and allied fleets. I have to admit I played SWG and thought to my self wow i cant wait to see what games will look like in 10 years. I even wondered if laws would start comming in to effect because the computer games would get to addicting. But the WoW model took hold and everything went down hill after that. Sad state of affairs.

EQ3 is from what i read everything i dreamed about. And this to be honest sort of worries me. I am not a fantasy game fan and i love star trek, have put a lot of money in to this game, and fear the EQ3 model is going to be the rebirth of the game play i came to love. Game play the majority of the gaming world now never knew existed and will absolutely go crazy over, causing a strong shift to the thempark/sandbox hybrid and pushing STO out. Returning it to how us old players remember it being in the begining, a ghost town.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited September 2014

OP is asking for sandbox elements, not more single-player content
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I remember one of the devs saying they would make more replay able content where you make a choice the mission changes a bit. But they have not going by the last mission they made its not happening. Yes craptic do tell a good story its what got me to stay playing in the 1st place.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    It would be in the developers best personal intrests to strive for content which keeps the attension of the player longer. For me, I know my play style by now. I dont have too much use or intrest in new ships or items. I've found what, to date, works for me. Infact, I only bother getting rep to T5 anymore because I collect the ground 3 peice sets.

For me, I don't play klingon and I dont want a romulan. Because of this the update to level 60 and the Delta Quadrant is probably the biggest thing for me in a long time. That being said, if the past content has shined anything on the future im going to be maxed out on what i can do with my characters and bored again well before the next update.

I now know im not exactly their target audience. But, I know I would be completely content if i just had different, unrelated activities to add variety. Combat one day, exploration the next. Maybe go do a holodeck program(robin hood?). Or hang out on risa or in my ship. Maybe have some sort of simple sports my friends and I can play when we are sitting in chat, bored.

If i had a variety of things I could do or work towards besides the end goal of a pimped ship I would be very much satisfied. I believe it would meet my need for more sustainable content, and i think if they can make us old players happy in that way theyll make the rest of the people quite happy as well.

Sustainable Game Play can come in many forms. Reguardless of which form it takes on it is vital to the games future. Sandbox elements are without a doubt most sustainable by a large margin and i do feel it is the future of MMORPGs(Prophacy, Mark My Words). However its not the only way and i dont claim to have the winning answer.

I just know their methods now will run their course and the world of computer RPGs will move on and they will either keep to their tactics or they will adapt. I believe we are ending the era of the WoW model based on the new games i see comming out and i fear as a commited player that STO is not ready. Gamers tastes are going to change and their intrest in pure theme park game play will grow sour. Its already happening.
  • Options
    thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    spycho2 wrote: »
    Gamers tastes are going to change and their intrest in pure theme park game play will grow sour. Its already happening.

Please link your facts on this? Sandbox games had their day but unfortunately are not profitable. Lots of us can recall the "old glory days" of MMOs, tainted by not remembering how bad a lot of content was. MMOs now cater to the majority, not hardcore ppl who want 40h/week of game play. Even sandbox gets boring after time.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    On steam theres a bunch of new themepark/sandbox hybrid games comming out. Theres a few comming out for the PS4 and Xbox. The old content is old of course. Windows 98 was better then windows 95 but they were still both peices of TRIBBLE compared to today.

You have Everquest 3 which is integrating the Landmarks engine into it and with modern gaming tech there isnt going to be the same problems as you had with old Sandbox MMOs which were trying to do something with technology that wasnt ready.

You have A large public intrest in sandbox as a whole. Minecraft, Space Engineers, DayZ, Fallout: New Vegas, Eve Online taking the lead with an increase in free form sandbox style customization and game play in every game type from FPS to Race Car games. It may not happen in the next few years but Sandbox breads creativity and people enjoy being creative. Combined with the fact that not a single game has been able to hold up the P2P model partially because no game is worth paying monthly for anymore. I dont see how an injection of sandbox play into a themepark world wont happen in the future.

Nothing is new. Sandbox will come back its just a matter of how. The technology can handle it now.
  • Options
    vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm glad to see this discussion as it is well overdue, my two cents on this issue is that the community has given well laid-out ideas, long term, short ideas that are in great detail that we have seen nothing come from it. I came from the gaming era of Starfleet Command 3, Bridge Commander that had more to do than STO. Id love to see a campaign system of some sorts, that could be tied into the starbase system. Everytime Cryptic releases something i expect it to be better or more of what i have wanted to see and is disappointed. It is the saying goes, it is the content stupid. Some have mentioned that the game engine is limited, i would say that it is only limited by limited programmers. We have seen many games in the past, that have been expanded in great detail. It only seems that Cryptic/Perfect World keeps it going because it is Star Trek IP and it brings in the money they need. Other than that, it is the same old same old. I'm disappointed further that they do not listen to the community, perhaps they do on some but not on the majority of what is wanted in this game. That is a real shame, they could make changes for the better if they would only do it, i don't understand why they aren't doing it but something needs to change and for the better.

Something needs to change, i'm afraid that The Delta Quadrant is going to be a another lost opportunity.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    thegcbacon wrote: »
    Please link your facts on this? Sandbox games had their day but unfortunately are not profitable. Lots of us can recall the "old glory days" of MMOs, tainted by not remembering how bad a lot of content was. MMOs now cater to the majority, not hardcore ppl who want 40h/week of game play. Even sandbox gets boring after time.

I know right, Sims only sold 175 million copies, the fekkin losers
  • Options
    xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    P2P

That is all you need. The F2P model has taken over and as long as gaming companies keep working with the fact that the average gamer will pay way over the odds by using "micro" transactions, then that is all that will be made for the majority.

If you want content based gaming, you need to pay a subscription and then the gaming company will be forced to keep you engaged rather than just dangling another T6/mkXIV carrot in front on your face ;).
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    xaraman wrote: »
    P2P

That is all you need. The F2P model has taken over and as long as gaming companies keep working with the fact that the average gamer will pay way over the odds by using "micro" transactions, than that is all that will be made for the majority.

If you want content based gaming, you need to pay a subscription and then the gaming company will be forced to keep you engaged rather than just dangling another T6/mkXIV carrot in front on your face ;).

Wrong. The reason majority of MMO's are going F2P? Subscription P2P games are not something the majority of the player base don't want anymore. They want the option to do micro transaction.

Honestly STO was P2P before, and probably was ready to close down because they weren't making much money. Now? They got a good size team at Cryptic, and are hiring more and more, so obviously they're making A LOT more money with F2P.

So yeah if this game went P2P it'd probably be dead within a year.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Nope,

You're wrong. If the game went p2p, it would be a much smaller operation with less profits, but it would still keep going.

And also, please tell me what's the name of the biggest space based MMO again? Can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe it is a P2P model ;)
  • Options
    legionexxodlegionexxod Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have some potential ideas for you, I'll keep them simple and expand if you'd like me to.

Firstly, this is something as a player I always think about, so far being a fan of startrek keeps me comming back, but the one thing that mmo's always fall short on is immersion... this is a huge challenge in any game.
    However, I believe there are a few things startrek online can do without breaking the bank (or the game)

These fall into:
    1) Aesthetics
    2) game play options
    3) custom play style.

Hit all three and you're on to a winner in my books! Here are my suggestions.

1) Sto's aesthetics are pretty good already... but there are so many moments where we see the same thing over and over again... just beam into you're starship and see for your self... Im actually surprised, whilst I understand the need to maintain a factional feel to a starship I feel that STO could have done so much more with the internal layout of the ship... you were on to something with the trophies... keep going! I'm willing to bet everyone would love to be able to have more options for shape of corridors, type of lighting, theme... It kind of feels weird that I have super cool dyson shields which make my ship look awesome, all these adapted consoles and unique technologies installed on my ship... yet the inside... doesnt look so special... I would actually love to see the warp core change to match the one i slot on my ship... to have access to the engine room and see the engines ive slotted, to be in tactical and see models of the torpedoes and weapons I've spent so much time acquiring! and oh... the mother of all my desires for the internals of my ship... on board ship missions and being able to customize the uniforms of the npc crew (just one "one-fits all" uniform no need to be unnecessarily complicated)

2) game play options, this does link to point 3 quite a bit... but what I mean here is types of modes that allow players to indulge in novelties they would have had to be crazy to do in the normal game... for example a teir1 ship pve mission... all players have to use a tier1 or equivalent ship, if they dont have one they will be placed in an equivalent vessel with standard common loadout temporarily... This would be fantastic! I know im not the only one who bought the NX class escourt, or who owns a suliban cell ship... players like us dont just pay for consoles which prove useless in late game... we like the ship in all its glory... it feels like such a huge let down that there is no realistic way we can keep using the early game ships we love (that dont have a retrofit or refit version) it really does. Either modes that allow us to continue using them should be implemented or a way to upgrade them... not to end game level but atleast to keep them flying so we can really enjoy and immerse ourselves with them... also it justifies having a massive collection of ships including free ones, dilithium bought ones, and zen ships! Currently too many ships just sit in mothballs!

3) custom play style... perhapse what i really meant was give us consequences to our choices... being led down a path which is only going to end one way is predictable... through missions we should have dialogue that actually alters how a mission plays out even if the conclusion is the same (mission success) it would be nice to play the way my character's fantasy personality would... we all do it in all games... look at masseffect (just for example) some players like to play as a shining example of all that is kind and just... others like the middle road approach... and others like playing a bit more rogueish... even though they are still the good guys...

If I saw these changes in STO I would move from being a standard player who occasionally makes zen purchases to a full life time member and probably uninstall all the other games on my pc! - I wouldnt have any need for them!

Finally one more thing... I hope 1) the galaxy map gets fixed to its a realistic representation of the quadrants... currently it looks like the word "quadrant" has a very loose meaning here...
    2) that the gamma quadrant gets some love... I know the tv series didnt show too much of it but it did show enough to give some points of interest and reference. Plus its an easy way to get the cardassians and bajorans involved again (we dont even see well known bajoran raiders in game whats up with that?)

Anyway I hope my feed back is helpfull, please dont view this as me simply saying "just add this and that" but rather me explaining what is missing from sto... why i havnt made the leap to being a lifetimer, and just some examples that I feel would really work... which have actually been backed up by other players ive spoken to in game.

Peace out. in game I'm @legionexxod feel free to ask me any questions if you wish.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I know right, Sims only sold 175 million copies, the fekkin losers

The Sims has long since stopped being a sandbox game and has become more of a legal murder simulator.

Sims teaches you that God made you in His image.

And God is a **** to you because He enjoys watching you suffer.

:eek:
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You and I both. Lack of playable Content has been my biggest complaint about STO for the last 4.5 years. It is not like I expected something new every week, but something new every 4-6 weeks would have been cool.

Same here, if they had kept the feature episodes going but on a regular basis, like 4 episodes a month then a month break between the next 4, they would not have needed to complete a story arc in 4 episodes, they could have left a "cliffhanger" so they could carry on after the months break..... But unfortunately that's just a dream and would require a lot of work on their side.

I don't log in much anymore, about an hour total through the week but I look forward to seeing what the next 18 months has to offer.... Maybe I will start playing again.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    its not lost on me either, when people come attached to the status quo, you have to change it to survive otherwise it will just die a slow painful death. right now the computer games market in general is on this declining path since about mid 2000, before this you had casette tv players, midi computers with a few hertz of CPU power, 150w of power, 50 mb hdd if your lucky, 2 mb gfx card, drive b and a. then dos came along and computers got better, things went well during this time you had your doom, quake, lemmings, then you had your zone 66, major strykers and simcity, then win 3.1 came along and games got a bit more different, then win 95 and then you had your homeworlds, half lifes, system shock 2s and others that sparked a whole line of creativity on the game world, then it just started going backwards by mid 2000 because games companies were getting rich and producing bad quality games, although some stood out, "diamonds in the rough" as far as games have gone, freelancer, mass effect, x3 and a number of others, the general quality for the rest is just garbage.

this holds true to the MMO market, you had by 96 your first mmo to come out, then ultima online and a few years later you had everquest, this was the beginning of a new way of coming at gaming and then in 04' you had wow, and then you had all the rest which were just knockoffs of everquest and as such nothing to really show anything other then the status quo. eventually the computer game market will have to change to survive, but that time will come on its own dime.

we havent had anything that is truly unique on these games, they all copy each other and so i dont expect to see any change.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    grishgartgrishgart Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The sad truth about F2P games is that the few deeply involved players of a game pay for the majority of players.
    STO, SWTOR and all the other games went F2P because not enough people thought that these games are worth paying for. And when the 15$ are not enough money for the company, they take away the payment limits and try to get the money from the people that are willing to spend hundrets or thousands per month.
    There were official statements from F2P companies that say, that many of the free players don't pay and that most of the shop income is from already subscribed players.

The only reason why I am still here is because its a star trek game. The Star Trek theme keeps me playing.
    I payed some money upfront, but once I realized that this is a wreck of a game I stopped paying.
    The game that I mostly play at the moment is Eve-Online. Its not perfect, but I think that it's worth the money.

I have played theme parks for many years, but I am sick of them. Theme park mmos are to restrictive. And I think thats STOs biggest problem, to much time gates, to much grind. All they care for are ships, crafting revamps and other restricting mechanics, that add near to zero gameplay value.

But what if we would pay for new content instead of new ships? Than they had to focus on new engaging and fun content.
    The problem is that the game is so broken at the moment, that it would take to much time and money to get it running again.
    So, in my humble opinion, this game will go on as it is. They will sqeeze as much money out of you till they shut it down.
    If I am wrong, and they make the game less restrictive and more sandboxy and/or fun, then I may spend some money on this game again. But until then, my wallet is closed.

ps: I come from germany, so my english is not perfect.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited September 2014
    Agree completely with this ... and no big deal about language issue. It is sad to say that this game relies on 2 groups of people:

1) People obsessed with min-maxing whole spent obscene amounts of money
    2) Freebie players who are here to inflate the numbers but spent next to nothing

There isn't room for those of us in the middle who are okay spending $15-20 a month in subscriptions or as in my case the casual purchase from c-store. You can see it everywhere from the obscene packs, cash grab lock box and other money sinks and the huge time gates (with dilithium shortcuts).

I stopped spending as Nov of last year. Everything I saw in Season 8, Grind-a-versery, Season 9, 9.5(crafting grind fest) and now X2 convinces me I was correct. PvP being completely trashed by crafting, T6 ships and lock boxes is the coup de grace.
    grishgart wrote: »
    The sad truth about F2P games is that the few deeply involved players of a game pay for the majority of players.
    STO, SWTOR and all the other games went F2P because not enough people thought that these games are worth paying for. And when the 15$ are not enough money for the company, they take away the payment limits and try to get the money from the people that are willing to spend hundrets or thousands per month.
    There were official statements from F2P companies that say, that many of the free players don't pay and that most of the shop income is from already subscribed players.

The only reason why I am still here is because its a star trek game. The Star Trek theme keeps me playing.
    I payed some money upfront, but once I realized that this is a wreck of a game I stopped paying.
    The game that I mostly play at the moment is Eve-Online. Its not perfect, but I think that it's worth the money.

I have played theme parks for many years, but I am sick of them. Theme park mmos are to restrictive. And I think thats STOs biggest problem, to much time gates, to much grind. All they care for are ships, crafting revamps and other restricting mechanics, that add near to zero gameplay value.

But what if we would pay for new content instead of new ships? Than they had to focus on new engaging and fun content.
    The problem is that the game is so broken at the moment, that it would take to much time and money to get it running again.
    So, in my humble opinion, this game will go on as it is. They will sqeeze as much money out of you till they shut it down.
    If I am wrong, and they make the game less restrictive and more sandboxy and/or fun, then I may spend some money on this game again. But until then, my wallet is closed.

ps: I come from germany, so my english is not perfect.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Wrong. If that were true City of Heroes would still be running. Corporations aren't happy with simply making a profit. If a game doesn't make enough of a profit they'll shut it down.

But City of Heroes didn't have a massive well recognised IP like the Star Trek name has. The IP of this game alone means profit, no matter what model they use. But you do hit the nail on head when you talk about the amount of profit. F2p will always bring a higher profit margin than a p2p with roughly the same population.
    Not relevant. Every genre of games has one or two 800lb gorillas that dominates the market that everyone tries to duplicate, but only a rare few succeed.

No one is trying to duplicate the 800lb space gorilla as it is a p2p model. That's the problem. You can't duplicate what it has done and use a f2p model. It just won't work. But, it is the 800lb gorilla in the market which means they've done something right. They didn't get that way through sheer luck ;).

I'd love to see what would happen if cryptic formed a p2p server with the f2p server and gave the players a choice. Some other games have done this, rebalanced the client on the p2p server and made a sub server and have done ok with it. Their f2p servers still tick over nicely, but they've brought a lot of older players back with the p2p.

Food for thought.

Cheers!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    But City of Heroes didn't have a massive well recognised IP like the Star Trek name has. The IP of this game alone means profit, no matter what model they use. But you do hit the nail on head when you talk about the amount of profit. F2p will always bring a higher profit margin than a p2p with roughly the same population.

Not necessarily, IP only brings interest to the game for most fans of the IP and it can actually backfire for the game. IP limits the creativity of the game. If STO didn't have the Star Trek IP, then people would not be complaining about the Dyson ships and Intelligence ships for violating Star Trek. Also, games with an IP are criticized more heavily.

There are some players that will play no matter what state the game is in, but there is not enough of them to support a game. If the game is absolutely intolerable to play, then no amount of help from the IP will save the game. Therefore, quality is far more important to the game than IP.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I hear what you're saying.

But my opinion is that p2p brings quality. F2p only brings quantity; more stuff to buy/grind, more zones etc, but no real change to the gameplay. We all know the way the new episodes are going to run: Kill x amount of enemies, interact with x amount of things and then run all the way back across the map to interact with other stuff (if the devs are feeling cruel). Exactly what we have to do at the moment, except this time we'll be in the delta quadrant with an extra stat scalar put onto the enemies and our new ships/equipment.

Now, I could be wrong and when DR comes out there will have been a complete revamp. But, do you think that will happen?

Cheers!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I hear what you're saying.

But my opinion is that p2p brings quality. F2p only brings quantity; more stuff to buy/grind, more zones etc, but no real change to the gameplay. We all know the way the new episodes are going to run: Kill x amount of enemies, interact with x amount of things and then run all the way back across the map to interact with other stuff (if the devs are feeling cruel). Exactly what we have to do at the moment, except this time we'll be in the delta quadrant with an extra stat scalar put onto the enemies and our new ships/equipment.

Now, I could be wrong and when DR comes out there will have been a complete revamp. But, do you think that will happen?

Cheers!

But we never had the mission quality that we currently have with the most recent missions with P2P. Sphere of Influence, A Step Between Stars, and Surface Tension are far better than any mission we got when Atari was in charge. So the whole idea that F2P only brings quantity and P2P brings quality is flawed.