test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Upgrade System Suggestion. DEVS PLEASE READ!

gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
Here's my 2 cents. The only dil sink in this upgrade system should be, as markhawkman put it, in obtaining gold quality items. I don't mind having to upgrade to mk XIII at lvl 55 and then upgrade again at lvl 60 to mk XIV. But when I pop my kit and item in, I expect to get a mk XIII version at same quality (for lvl 55) and a mk XIV version at same quality at lvl 60. Not a chance of upgrading, a guarantee. And then I would have the option of attempting to upgrade to gold quality OR upgrade my mk XI blue mission rewards (lobi items, consoles, etc etc). This way, the dil sink is less mandatory and more optional. Plus, doing it this way will reduce power creep (I think) and for those who HAVE to have the best stuff, they will be willing to sink the dilithium for gold quality items which means grinding for them and more $$$ for Cryptic/PWE. But making us all do this is just ridiculous.

To elaborate, this is what I want to have happen on the drop of X2. I log on and upgrade my ship to T5-U (if not done so already). I then have the option to upgrade my mk XI blue/purple gear to mk XII. I then play the new story missions etc etc till I hit lvl 55. Then I can have the option to upgrade my gear to Mk XIII at the cost of like 2k (max) dil per item with the guarantee that I get a mk XIII equivalent at the same quality. I can then do this for all my items. (yes there will still be a waiting period on all the items but, just as it is now, you can insta-upgrade using dil). I then continue with new content to get to level 60. (This will not affect the new mastery tree). I then will have the option to upgrade my mk XIII gear to mk XIV just the same as before when I upgraded to mk XIII. And then I'm done. And If I want to I can attempt to get my gear to epic, or gold, quality (dil sink). Anyone else like this idea? If not, please tell me why. thanks
NOTE: By "upgrade" I mean, pull up the new UI, pop in the item, kit, and optional accelerator. The Tech points/experience will still play a role but only toward upgrading to epic or gold quality.
signature.png
Post edited by gameverseman on

Comments

• Options
    ceekayzeroceekayzero Member Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Then I can have the option to upgrade my gear to Mk XIII at the cost of like 2k (max) dil per item with the guarantee that I get a mk XIII equivalent at the same quality. I can then do this for all my items. (yes there will still be a waiting period on all the items but, just as it is now, you can insta-upgrade using dil). I then continue with new content to get to level 60. (This will not affect the new mastery tree). I then will have the option to upgrade my mk XIII gear to mk XIV just the same as before when I upgraded to mk XIII. And then I'm done. And If I want to I can attempt to get my gear to epic, or gold, quality (dil sink). Anyone else like this idea? If not, please tell me why. thanks

It is guaranteed that if you put in an item of purple quality, you will either get a purple or ultraviolet quality item. There is no item quality downgrade risk in this system.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    ceekayzero wrote: »
    It is guaranteed that if you put in an item of purple quality, you will either get a purple or ultraviolet quality item. There is no item quality downgrade risk in this system.

I never mentioned anything about a downgrade. There's still a gamble of whether or not my item will actually upgrade. Meaning, I can put in my fleet shield but there is no guarantee it will actually upgrade. I might just get my shield back and gain some "tech points". I wish to eliminate that to reduce the dilithium sink.
    signature.png
  • Options
    bethshepardbethshepard Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The only problem I have with this whole upgrade is that If I don't get the mod I am after my gear is now ruined forever and needs replacing from scratch.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There's still a gamble of whether or not my item will actually upgrade.

As I understand it, there's no gamble at all.

Each increase in mark level requires a set amount of points from the upgrade packs.

Once you've plugged enough of them in to hit the point threshold, hit upgrade and +1 mark level is yours.

Quality of the item may also go up, but never down, and it's chance is cumulative. Each failed attempt adding to your chance the next time.

tl;dr mark upgrade is guaranteed, quality is not.
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The only problem I have with this whole upgrade is that If I don't get the mod I am after my gear is now ruined forever and needs replacing from scratch.

This is just another reason to completely avoid the system until they make it more player friendly.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

I understand. Did you even read my suggestion? That won't be an issue because your quality of item (mods assumed) will be maintained. Its only when you upgrade to gold that you get an additional modifier and that gets added to the pre-existing mods, It will not replace any of them. Thats IF the devs acknowledge my suggestion and implement it.
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    As I understand it, there's no gamble at all.

Each increase in mark level requires a set amount of points from the upgrade packs.

Once you've plugged enough of them in to hit the point threshold, hit upgrade and +1 mark level is yours.

Quality of the item may also go up, but never down, and it's chance is cumulative. Each failed attempt adding to your chance the next time.

tl;dr mark upgrade is guaranteed, quality is not.

But in order to get the points you must constantly sink in dilithium and wait to actually upgrade 1 item. My suggestion removes that concept without completely throwing aside what has already been proposed by the devs.

To everyone, Please read my suggestion carefully.
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    This is just another reason to completely avoid the system until they make it more player friendly.

They could always try my suggestion, which, ya know, is what this thread is about. :)
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I understand. Did you even read my suggestion? That won't be an issue because your quality of item (mods assumed) will be maintained. Its only when you upgrade to gold that you get an additional modifier and that gets added to the pre-existing mods, It will not replace any of them. Thats IF the devs acknowledge my suggestion and implement it.

Just because it is extra does make it correct, my gear is still tainted and my build moved a step closer away from being "correct". I would even go as far as to pay zen for a mod removing token to get another chance of getting it right. ( I'm not saying I would like it, just that is is preferable to starting from scratch)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Just because it is extra does make it correct, my gear is still tainted and my build moved a step closer away from being "correct"

Well in my suggestion, Gold quality (airgo +1 mod) is optional. So since its such an issue, just don't go gold. As far as I know, aside from asthetics, gold only adds the mod. Even if it has better base stats to that of UR, even that will still "taint" your build, will it not?
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    valoreah wrote: »

Forgive me, I do not understand how that applies to my suggestion aside from the fact that my suggestion is hope. So are you saying the rest is TRIBBLE? Please explain.

Edit: I understand now. But you have to give my suggestion an opportunity or chance before you can claim it to be impossible. Improbable, yes. But not impossible :)
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Well in my suggestion, Gold quality (airgo +1 mod) is optional. So since its such an issue, just don't go gold. As far as I know, aside from asthetics, gold only adds the mod. Even if it has better base stats to that of UR, even that will still "taint" your build, will it not?[/]
    Well here's my whole problem, in order to improve my build I would need to go gold. And in the current system it means throwing items costing 10-100 mill through a random number generator that can spit them out the other side as what I would consider vendor trash. (Assuming they are bound to character)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Well in my suggestion, Gold quality (airgo +1 mod) is optional. So since its such an issue, just don't go gold. As far as I know, aside from asthetics, gold only adds the mod. Even if it has better base stats to that of UR, even that will still "taint" your build, will it not?[/]
    Well here's my whole problem, in order to improve my build I would need to go gold. And in the current system it means throwing items costing 10-100 mill through a random number generator that can spit them out the other side as what I would consider vendor trash. (Assuming they are bound to character)

Well... no. If you already have mk XIV UR. it will either spit back what you already have or give you a gold version.
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Well, for starters, I don't think the idea is a bad one. I like it as I agree the game is already polluted with dil sinks to the point of being (sadly) laughable. With that said, you're essentially asking Cryptic/PWE to remove a money making opporunity. That's just not going to happen. They aren't hoping you'll grind out dil for this. They're hoping you will (and doing their best to corral you toward) buy Zen to convert to dil.

You should also understand that once it's on Tribble, there is a 99.99999% probability that it will go to Holodeck as is.

Per Taco:

Yes, but you missed where money can be made in my suggestion. they will still be corralling people into getting zen. Whether it be T6 ships, tech bundles, or dilithium. The people who want gold items will need dilithium to attempt to get gold items. I'm implying that this would be a grind/dil sink, BUT it wont be completely necessary. It would only be that way for those who absolutely NEED the best of the best, which is far from the majority. Hence, an increase of overall satisfaction.
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    At this point, it wouldn't surprise me to see Cryptic adding a fee to log in to the game. They want your money. A lot of it. They know the amount of people who will want to upgrade from MK XII to MK XIII/MK XIV far outweigh the number of people who will try to upgrade to gold. There's money in them folk and Cryptic wants as much of it as they can milk from them.

An unfortunate truth.
    signature.png
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited September 2014
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I don't think your 'wants' are reasonable.

Thank you SOOOOO much for explaining why. I will have to give that some serious thought :rolleyes:
    signature.png
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm not a min/max type of player, so I don't get how getting an extra mod on an item can ruin it?

It's already got the mod/mods you prefer, how can adding another random one change its quality/usefulness?
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    I'm not a min/max type of player, so I don't get how getting an extra mod on an item can ruin it?

It's already got the mod/mods you prefer, how can adding another random one change its quality?

I don't know either, but that's not the point. Seeing how it has been confirmed that absolutely nothing I say or have said will affect anything. I guess everything is relevant.
    signature.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    But in order to get the points you must constantly sink in dilithium and wait to actually upgrade 1 item. My suggestion removes that concept without completely throwing aside what has already been proposed by the devs.

To everyone, Please read my suggestion carefully.
    basically.... you want to be able to upgrade a mk12 purple to mk14 gold for 8k dil and no other cost.... lol, no. Gold is supposed ot be hard to get, otherwise it wouldn't be called "epic"....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    basically.... you want to be able to upgrade a mk12 purple to mk14 gold for 8k dil and no other cost.... lol, no. Gold is supposed ot be hard to get, otherwise it wouldn't be called "epic"....

*faecpalm* No, read the OP again.
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014

It's already got the mod/mods you prefer, how can adding another random one change its quality/usefulness?

Right now I have 3/3 mods that are correct, yes my gear will be better but now only 3/4 will be correct. Can you not see how that could niggle a player who does min max?
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    having tested this out on tribble I can definitely state that basic upgrades have no gamble attached, you put in a mk12 you apply the upgrades you get mk13 ect.
    the only gamble comes when aiming for the ultra rare upgrade, you will not loose any quality on your item what you will loose is the upgrade modules and dilithium.

only thing is this will be at best a massive dil sink and at worse a ginormous one, apart from the ec you spend on the upgrade modules you will also spend a big chunk of dilithium applying them to your item.
    if you are happy to wait for the upgrade about 8 hrs the cost ends there you only spend more dil if you want to finish early.

if you are just upgrading an item from mk 12 to mk13 its ok I guess, even if you are upgrading to mk14 its tolerable.
    where you will find it very expensive is if you are upgrading a mk10 item to mk14 and if its part of a 3 piece set the costs can really mount up.

that's even if you wait for the 8hrs for each stage of the upgrade to complete but bare in mind to upgrade one item from mk10 to mk14 will take a minimum of 32 hours though you do have 3 slots so you should be able to upgrade a 3 piece set at the same time.

I would advise players to try and pick up mk13 & mk14 gear from drops and replace what you can, you only need to use this system on your most favourite items that you really really enjoy using the most like perhaps the 3 piece sets and such.
    even then you will need a fair old chunk of change at your disposal before you start.

I would only advise anyone to go for the ultra rare upgrade if they have lots of ec & dilithium they don't mind loosing.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Right now I have 3/3 mods that are correct, yes my gear will be better but now only 3/4 will be correct. Can you not see how that could niggle a player who does min max?

the 4th mod is neither correct nor incorrect. its a bonus. It will only help your build. So really its a case of 3/3+1 at gold. in the case with, lets say, weapons, you will get a combined bonus in both accuracy and damage from the gold mod. It will not replace or adversely effect your build. I still do not see the issue here. Sounds to be more sentimental than an actual concern of effectiveness.
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    having tested this out on tribble I can definitely state that basic upgrades have no gamble attached, you put in a mk12 you apply the upgrades you get mk13 ect.
    the only gamble comes when aiming for the ultra rare upgrade, you will not loose any quality on your item what you will loose is the upgrade modules and dilithium.

only thing is this will be at best a massive dil sink and at worse a ginormous one, apart from the ec you spend on the upgrade modules you will also spend a big chunk of dilithium applying them to your item.
    if you are happy to wait for the upgrade about 8 hrs the cost ends there you only spend more dil if you want to finish early.

if you are just upgrading an item from mk 12 to mk13 its ok I guess, even if you are upgrading to mk14 its tolerable.
    where you will find it very expensive is if you are upgrading a mk10 item to mk14 and if its part of a 3 piece set the costs can really mount up.

that's even if you wait for the 8hrs for each stage of the upgrade to complete but bare in mind to upgrade one item from mk10 to mk14 will take a minimum of 32 hours though you do have 3 slots so you should be able to upgrade a 3 piece set at the same time.

I would advise players to try and pick up mk13 & mk14 gear from drops and replace what you can, you only need to use this system on your most favourite items that you really really enjoy using the most like perhaps the 3 piece sets and such.
    even then you will need a fair old chunk of change at your disposal before you start.

Did you ever read my suggestion? i.e. OP
    signature.png
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited September 2014

It changes its comparative value, because of the existence of other mods. While it may be better, it is not as "better" as it might have been.

Say you've got your VR Weapon Mk XII [Acc]x2 as an example. You upgrade it to VR Weapon Mk XIII [Acc]x2. You upgrade it to VR Weapon Mk XIV [Acc]x2.

Say they only go with the standard four mods and do not include any of the additional R&D mods...so you go from VR to UR and the following are your potential outcomes:

[Acc]x3
    [Acc]x2[CrtD]
    [Acc]x2[CrtH]
    [Acc]x2[Dmg]

And bam...you're off to buy another VR Mk Weapon Mk XII [Acc]x2 to upgrade to Mk XIII to upgrade to Mk XIV...and to gamble again that you don't get a TRIBBLE mod again?

It's one of those quirky things...where there being multiple potential outcomes is actually worse than there being a single outcome of the worst outcome. Because if it was guaranteed to be that mod, then there's nothing to compare it to - that's it, that's what the upgrade gives you - but with the comparative aspect being part of the mechanic, well...it becomes yet another gamble that some folks simply will not be willing to make - while Cryptic counts on enough folks willing to risk it - getting TRIBBLE results - and having to go through the process again...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I am under impression I get an extra mod on the upgrade from very rare to ultra rare? Which is where I have this problem. When I go from ultra rare to gold there is only 1 available mod so that's find by me.
This discussion has been closed.