test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dyson Recon Build for PvE/Casual PvP

rck01rck01 Member Posts: 808 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Romulan Discussion
Looking for feedback on my Dyson Recon model. The goal is the create a ship that does CC in PvE but can also kill things. Being able to survive and perhaps do some damage in casual PvP (trolling Ker'rat to PUNISH THE FEDS, the occasional PUG through the queues) is a bonus.

Here's the build page:

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=rckdysonrevb_0

So far, I've found that I can leave the ship in Tac mode and get good results with CRF3 (for hard targets) and CSV1 plus TBR2. And if I want to draw spam into a single kill zone, I can switch to Sci mode, pump up the Aux power and cast GW3 while using a Wep batt to keep the CSV1 hitting hard (or the other way around - keep the Wep power up and pop an Aux batt).

Note that I do not have any Tractor doffs. I'm wondering if the VERY expensive TBR "pull" doff is worth it, or if I would be better served by the "slow" doff that targets engine power. In both cases I'm thinking in terms of PvP (PvE content is already devastated by the un-doffed base powers).

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? Also looking for feedback on the skill tree.

Thanks!
RCK
Post edited by rck01 on

Comments

• Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Outside of Gravity Well, Science isn't really something you can half-bake. If you want to run a Particle Gen build with TBR, then you'll have to be willing to invest the console and bridge room for it(and even then, ADSDs aren't really optimal for exotic damage with the lack of Eject Warp Plasma).

Inverted Repulsors.. really doesn't suit the ship/build, IMO. Stuff tends to wind up behind and to your sides with inverted TBR; you'll rarely ever have things in the firing arcs of your cannons. The Ideal setup for it is a science-heavy(Lt.Cdr.) cruiser with beam arrays(Grav Well+TBR+Warp Plasma+BFAW).

I'm not going to really comment on using cannons on the ship as I find the ADSDs to excel far better as beam-based drain boats and full-Aux/Shield torpedo boats. (I've found the Romulan DSD just has a nasty uphill battle with those lower power levels.)

As for skill tree, it really depends on what you're trying to do with it. I'd say the 3 points in countermeasures and decompiler would be better off maxing out Power Insulators and Inertial Dampeners though(to mitigate shield drains and gravity wells, respectively). You don't need points in Projectiles if you're not going to equip them(and vice-versa for torpedo boats).
  • Options
    rck01rck01 Member Posts: 808 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I decided to update my build in light of its poor overall performance in PvP. Major changes include:

1. Beam Arrays and BFAW2 insead of Cannons/Turrets and CSV1
    2. Upgraded to Fleet Neut [+Turn] and Fleet RCS [+AllRes]
    3. Upgraded to Fleet Particle Generator and Graviton Generator (both [Pla])

Updated Build page:

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=rckdysonrevc_0

So far, the GW3 and TBR2 are doing respectable damage (and seriously knocking stuff around) in PvE. My biggest problem is the beam output. Even switching power levels (from max Aux to max Wep) has me dishing out "weaksauce" damage. It just takes way too long to kill things once I have them stuck in the GW.

So the question becomes: Where to invest next? Do I try to up the beam damage by investing in Fleet Locators? Or do I just give up on weapons output altogether, grab another couple of Fleet Science consoles, and move all my Universals into Tac slots?

It's so hard to give up that Tac officer mentality (hence why I'm flying the Recon instead of the Surveillance model). :(

RCK