test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will you do the Gear Upgrade System to Gold 14?

2»

Comments

• Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Did it take some period of time to reach the point one is at now? Will it not take some period of time to reach the new point? Is there any actual requirement to reach the new point? So it's like the current point that was passed long ago?

So what's the issue?

"Me wanna uber nao!"

So uh...yeah...hrmm...

Makes me think of the folks that complain that leveling takes too long so they can sit around at endgame with nothing to do...so they can complain about that as well.

In answer to your question... PVP. I do like to dabble with PVP, but only when I've got gear at near-top level. This system will kill that for a few months. (Actually, PVP looks like being the big casualty of this system as *all* top level gear is now behind massive time / dil gates).

Personally, I'll go with the upgrades because, done incrementally, the costs are bearable. It helps that my 3 principles are all KDF and therefore highly effective Dil farmers :). What I won't do is spend dil to speed up projects, or specifically target Gold to start with; that way madness lies. The best decision I've ever made in STO was not to target MKXII VR consoles and gear when they first appeared; Mk XI VR / XII rare did fine for everything including PVP, and there are a lot of parallels here. Because those drops depended on random events (be it from STFs, loot drops or console crafting) initially the costs in either time or EC were insanely high; but within a year they were overtaken by Fleet gear. I'd bet a few bob that within a year there will be a reliable fleet / rep path to MK XIV gold gear.
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    nightken wrote: »
    so hang on you mean to tell me the new slightly better thing costs sightly more, I would have ever guessed this. madnesss I say madness.

and I like how you ignored the rep and fleet mark cost well done!

Because upgrading, doesn't take Rep Marks so I leave them out of the equation. Now as for the thing being slightly more, ok fine, but you conveniently left out, that you have to spend the 34k to GET the item first, then spend another 37k, to upgrade it. So it ends up being not slightly more, but more than double.

The solution is simple, replace Mk XII's in the Rep projects and Fleet stores with Mk XIII and Mk XIV's then you pay your 34k plus Rep marks plus EC and have a top tier item again, for half the cost or less. Besides, I'd be willing to bet most end gamers have far more rep marks saved up than free, refined dilithium. I know I do.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    corelogik wrote: »
    Because upgrading, doesn't take Rep Marks so I leave them out of the equation. Now as for the thing being slightly more, ok fine, but you conveniently left out, that you have to spend the 34k to GET the item first, then spend another 34k plus some, to upgrade it. So it ends up being not slightly more, but more than double.

The solution is simple, replace Mk XII's in the Rep projects and Fleet stores with Mk XIII and Mk XIV's then you pay your 34k plus marks plus EC and have a top tier item again, for half the cost or less. Besides, I'd be willing to bet most end gamers have far more rep marks saved up than free, refined dilithium.

I'm willing to bet one could become the other at quite a rate if they brothered. and I haven't payed any dil for my rep weapons at alll how is that?

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    corelogik wrote: »
    Considering ANY rep item can be obtained for 34k or LESS, and Fleet items are 20k or less, then yes 37k IS way out of scale.

The way I see it, per-item prices aren't out of bounds per se; but the amount of items that gets degraded overnight (pretty much all of it) certainly is out of scale.

Really, it's the sheer number of upgradeable items that makes this all a wickedly expensive expansion. Sure, i have 700k Dilithium for a ship. Do I have 50x 700k Dilithium for ALL my ships and ALL my gear? Not necessarily. Do I WANT to spend 50x 700k Dilithium for ALL my ships and ALL my gear? Not necessarily.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    cenellcenell Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    the only way I could possibly see the upgrade system working well for anyone, is decreasing the dil costs across the board, some of the proposed numbers are absolutely insane, not to mention other resources, time, etc.
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The one and only thing I might upgrade to Gold would be my TR-116, just for the sake of curiosity. A Gold TR-116 might prove to be quite fun. But you never know unless you try.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    All I'm gonna say is this:

http://youtu.be/HLpmd6_KDyg

:D
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Sums it up quite well. :rolleyes:
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I don't know if I can afford it but I'm going to try. It will be the only option to stay competative in PVP. Gold quality 360% beam arrays. Ouch!!!
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Impossible to tell.

Why? Because of threads like this.

I'm just going to skip reading any information on this forum about the upgrade system. One person says it's 200k Dil for your entire ship, some say it's more, some say it's less..

This guy says 900k Dil.. the information is too inconsistent to make a decision at this point.

The one thing I have learned is that absolutely no one here has any clue how much it's going to cost.

It's just thread after thread of baseless guessing.

This sums up everything exceedingly well.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    I don't know if I can afford it but I'm going to try. It will be the only option to stay competative in PVP. Gold quality 360% beam arrays. Ouch!!!

I thought we could only fit 1 of those crafted 360 Arc weps per loadout?! (per weapon type)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Blank stats with no animations is worth nothing, I said that the whole time about DR (stfu5 aka. fu5 ships)

It was different buying reptuation gear for 30 k dil that had an animation they had spent time on. Their time for our money that was fair.

But, blank stats don't require time so they also don't get money/dil. Nothing for nothing.

It's to the point now I don't care if the future of sto is marauding for contraband - I am there already.

At the end of the day, you have to be politically aware enough to not particpate and vote all that bs out.

No, I am not going to re-buy the weapons I already bought and I am going to take offence to whole notion of it
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Honestly .. Forget Gold/Epic items ... Unless you are in the 1% group with Billions EC, Tens of Millions of Dil and Tens of Thousands of Zen.

Several things that the apologists aren't adding to the equation ...

Each and every Tech Upgrade Kit, first costs EC to craft. An Advanced Tech Kit which gives 5000 TP, which requires level 10 in that school, costs 2500EC ...

Now to upgrade 1 MK XIV Beam Array from Ultra Rare to Epic requires approx 360,000 TP ...

So approx. 72 Upgrade Kits = 180,000 EC (approx, because you 'may' get lucky and get a 1.5x or 2x 'crit" on adding a kit) ... Plus 72 clicks of the mouse @ 950 Dil per click = 68,400 Dil.

Now we also have to take into account the cost of materials for those kits ... How many of us have 72 Radiogenic Particles? Or 72 Plasma Infusers? or 72 Lab Equipment? So if we add the average price of Purple Quality Materials plus the cheaper white/blue mats, we get a number of ~40,000 EC (VERY conservatively) = 2,880,000 EC ...

So we now have:

Dil = 68,400
    EC = 3,060,000

And this does NOT include the initial EC/Dil cost of getting from Mk XII to Mk XIV or from White up to Ultra Rare ...

This also does NOT take into account that due to the RNG ... every single resource you just spent was for nothing, because the upgrade "failed"

And I remind you, that ALL of this was for just ONE item and ONE item type.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    Honestly .. Forget Gold/Epic items ... Unless you are in the 1% group with Billions EC, Tens of Millions of Dil and Tens of Thousands of Zen.

Several things that the apologists aren't adding to the equation ...

Each and every Tech Upgrade Kit, first costs EC to craft. An Advanced Tech Kit which gives 5000 TP, which requires level 10 in that school, costs 2500EC ...

Now to upgrade 1 MK XIV Beam Array from Ultra Rare to Epic requires approx 360,000 TP ...

So approx. 72 Upgrade Kits = 180,000 EC (approx, because you 'may' get lucky and get a 1.5x or 2x 'crit" on adding a kit) ... Plus 72 clicks of the mouse @ 950 Dil per click = 68,400 Dil.

Now we also have to take into account the cost of materials for those kits ... How many of us have 72 Radiogenic Particles? Or 72 Plasma Infusers? or 72 Lab Equipment? So if we add the average price of Purple Quality Materials plus the cheaper white/blue mats, we get a number of ~40,000 EC (VERY conservatively) = 2,880,000 EC ...

So we now have:

Dil = 68,400
    EC = 3,060,000

And this does NOT include the initial EC/Dil cost of getting from Mk XII to Mk XIV or from White up to Ultra Rare ...

This also does NOT take into account that due to the RNG ... every single resource you just spent was for nothing, because the upgrade "failed"

And I remind you, that ALL of this was for just ONE item and ONE item type.

Considering how I normally pay like 10-15mil for a single [CtrD]x3 wep, 2.8 mil is peanuts. :)

Seriously, if every items could be upgraded to Gold XIV for only 2.8 mil EC per item, I'd be most happy! The Dilithium cost will be the killer, though.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Ill upgrade all my gear to mk 14 ultra rare then possibly upgrade gear I feel is the most useful....will I be gold? The completionist in me says yes...but we will see if I've quit the game by that point
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i dont think i will bother too much, i will run with weapons i have now, swap out any if i pick up some good drop items but other then that i am happy as is, this gear upgrade thing looks like too much of a TRIBBLE shoot for my likling and will take way to long to get anywhere.

i will have a look see at a later time maybe and see if there is stuff i can upgrade slightly for free but at the moment it just looks way too much of a gamble im not willing to take.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    neppakyoneppakyo Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Star Citizen is looking better and better the more I read about Delta Re t ard.
    Quote about STO on consoles: "Not quite as bad as No man's sky, but a close second."
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hmmm... when you add up all the DR changes (level cap increase, T6 ships, T5 upgrades, crafting, and now the kit upgrade system), the endgame will have been pushed waaaaaayy out into the forseeable future, especially for the OCD completers. You can't say that someone at Cryptic/PWE isn't planning ahead; but this set of changes puts them in good shape to do nothing else for a long time. Unless, of course, so many players are so put off by the increased grind intensity that they just give up, and the dev's have to make further adjustments to reclaim lost revenues... :rolleyes:
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    hpgibbshpgibbs Member Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I'm not going to particapate in the Gear Upgrade System to Gold 14. Who else is not going to?

As it stands, with the information available, HELL NO. At first I thought DR was just about upgrading a few ships. Now it turns out *everything* is subject to an (R&D based) upgrade path. As others have calculated, that's nearly 900k Dilithium for a full ship overhaul. plus all gear rep, Vulnerability Locators, etc.

Then you may have to change your signature, given that you won't be OP afterwards :P
    The Grate Lorde Cheesus
    Ship build coordinator for The Breakfast Club http://WWW.TBCSTO.COM
    Doesn't Owe Anyone EC
    Kirks Prot