test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Priority One Episode 190 | Unruly (feat. CaptainGeko)

elijahmreelijahmre Member Posts: 195 Arc User
Greetings, Captains! You’re listening to Episode 190 of Priority One Podcast, the premier Star Trek Online podcast! This episode was recorded on Thursday, September 11th, 2014 and made available for download Monday, September 15th, 2014 at PriorityOnePodcast.com!

Captains, this week we Trek Out our interview from STLV with our friend John Champion of Mission Log Podcast. You can also check out our video version of the interview on our new YouTube Channel (youtube.com/p1network). This week in STO News, the specs and details of the T6 Intelligence Ships has been released in a series of blogs highlighting each ship. Additionally, we have information on the new Intelligence Bridge Officers that will have access to a whole new slew of powers. Lastly, a new adventure zone has been announced with details on what players can expect. We also hear from Star Trek Online’s Lead Designer, Al “Captain Geko” Rivera with a special supplemental discussion regarding the Intelligence BoFFs. Later, we’ll open hailing frequencies and see what’s incoming from you -- our listeners!

Captains! We have published a majority of our interviews from STLV check them out HERE!

In case you missed it – you can catch the STODev Panel – in its entirety – during episode 184 of Priority One Podcast!

Topics Discussed [*]Intelligence Bridge Officers
[*]The Kobali Adventure Zone

This week’s Community Question
  • Captains, share with us your thoughts on the new Hybrid BoFFs.
Let us know YOUR thoughts by commenting below!

Captains, if you haven’t already filled out our “Game Ideas” form on our website, check it out at http://priorityonepodcast.com/gameideas and let us know your thoughts!

The Priority One Productions is always looking for new team members that have a passion for Star Trek. *Please know that all of our positions are volunteer, but we do offer a well known outlet for your work.*If you have a skill that you believe could enhance our content, then*send your contact information and experience along with a few writing samples to*incoming@priorityonepodcast.com

Did you miss any of our great Blogs last week? Stop by*this link*and see for yourself! How about our latest Video Release? You can also follow us on the social media sites!*We’re on*Facebook! Head over to*www.facebook.com/PriorityOnePodcast*and say, "Hi!" Or, Check us out on*Twitter*via*@stopriorityone*for show times and other cool stuff.

Liked this episode? Totally hated it? Leave a comment below, Contact Us using our handy web form! Enjoy the show!

STREAM WHILE YOU PLAY & DOWNLOAD FOR LATER (iTUNES AND MP3):
Web: http://priorityonepodcast.com/po190
iTunes: Priority One Podcast

SUBSCRIBE:
OUR RSS FEED

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER:
STOPriorityONE
There are no plans to transcribe this episode at this time.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    "Because we want you to buy the new ships"

Sorry to see there are zero animations for t5u, leveling or ship traits.

And yeah it's hard to tell how you getting jacked the most, what will be the biggest waste of resources.

Upgrading each ship individually, deleting all your old ships, using your fleet versions, going with a lockbox or simply wait for winter ship and get one for free.

Personally I'd like to play ball but I don't like the un-official ship designs so too bad it's black or white all or nothing with no animations "because we want you to buy the new ships".
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Sad thing is if their was no T6 and they simply released the intel ships as a subtype at T5 I would be frothing at the mouth for them. Merely having the new mechanics with the ship plus the new boff powers are more than enough to make me want them.

Instead I feel forced to pay again for all my ships. Making me feel forced to spend money to continue to enjoy the game might not have been their goal, it might not be logical, and it may not be how others feel about it, but it is how I feel about it.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Way I do it is 1 character, 1 ship.

And my characters have their ships. I'd love to go do an alt but you know someone removed the mirror event hoping I'd play their cursed story missions.

I just can't be whiped like that. You can make all the t5u upgrades passives hoping I will get a t6 ship but you know that's just going to make me ignore the entirety of the expansion instead.

Joe pesci bat-pistol kind of guy.

But that aside it seems as with crafting you are better off waiting and then potentially down the line put something into it.
    The next lockbox ships, the next fleet tier ships?

In either case, 10$ for some hull HP passive, hilarious
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think the multiple tiers were a mistake.

The upgrade from Tier 5 should simply be Tier 6 (instead of complicating it with Tier 5U, Tier 6, Tier 6I, Fleet Tier 6, etc.) and the Tier 6 ships should be balanced against one another.

I think even having a separate TERM for Tier 5U is a case of over systemizing and trying to squeeze more out of players.

All they really had to do was just call it ALL Tier 6 and give the retrofits a single generic 5th mastery tier starship trait while the Intel ships get unique ones. Much better marketing. Much less confusion and pointless, manipulative subdivision.

Want a Tier 6 ship? Upgrade your existing ship (and recognize your mastery tier 5 trait is generic) or buy one of our new ships that start at Tier 6 and have unique traits and BOs. That simple.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I also think it would have been wiser to limit Intel BOs to Intel abilities, at least partially. Because that would avoid making ships obsolete -- which Cryptic really doesn't need to do if people are willing to pay money to keep their existing ship competitive.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think the multiple tiers were a mistake.

The upgrade from Tier 5 should simply be Tier 6 (instead of complicating it with Tier 5U, Tier 6, Tier 6I, Fleet Tier 6, etc.) and the Tier 6 ships should be balanced against one another.

It will likely bite them in the back at some point.

Or maybe not - if, after they sold a lot of Tier 6 ships, they buff TIer 5 Upgrades to full Tier 6, it may only cost them manpower, but may give them more income than the other way around.

But it feels just very messy.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    vestereng wrote: »
    "Because we want you to buy the new ships".

Things that Geko says.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    "Because we want you to buy the new ships"

Sorry to see there are zero animations for t5u, leveling or ship traits.

Actually, yeah, that is pretty lame. I've seen several ppl go "OMG! How dare you complain about an animation?!" Yet almost all of our boff abilities have some sort of visual effect on your ship: if, for nothing else, because it's informative towards other players. And a thing so major, like a trait that encompasses the entire ship itself, should not be without *some* sort of visual at least. Otherwise T5U is nothing but a 'notepad' job.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Actually, yeah, that is pretty lame. I've seen several ppl go "OMG! How dare you complain about an animation?!" Yet almost all of our boff abilities have some sort of visual effect on your ship: if, for nothing else, because it's informative towards other players. And a thing so major, like a trait that encompasses the entire ship itself, should not be without *some* sort of visual at least. Otherwise T5U is nothing but a 'notepad' job.
    my characters have lots of ship space traits that they've gotten from doing reps and even from the exchange. none of them come with animation changes to my ships. why should new traits come with them when traits don't? gear changes your animations, not traits.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    my characters have lots of ship space traits that they've gotten from doing reps and even from the exchange. none of them come with animation changes to my ships. why should new traits come with them when traits don't? gear changes your animations, not traits.

Didn't have my coffee yet, so I could be missing something, but what ship traits did you get on exchange so far? (not personal ones)

If I read/watched everything correctly, the new T6 ship traits themselves will be animated.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Didn't have my coffee yet, so I could be missing something, but what ship traits did you get on exchange so far? (not personal ones)

If I read/watched everything correctly, the new T6 ship traits themselves will be animated.
    the traits that came in the various lockboxes, like helmsman. you could put them on the exchange and sell them. then someone could buy and open them and apply those traits to their characters.

as far as the new traits on t6s, the one on the intel ships is called receiprocity. all it does is speed up the cool down of intel abilities. if it has an animation great, not that i've heard it does. but keep in mind that you can slot any t6 trait onto a t5u ship, which means it gets the animation too. and there's new t6 traits that t5u ships can use in the new rep system.
  • Options
    atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    bareel wrote: »
    Sad thing is if their was no T6 and they simply released the intel ships as a subtype at T5 I would be frothing at the mouth for them. Merely having the new mechanics with the ship plus the new boff powers are more than enough to make me want them.

Instead I feel forced to pay again for all my ships. Making me feel forced to spend money to continue to enjoy the game might not have been their goal, it might not be logical, and it may not be how others feel about it, but it is how I feel about it.

You are not alone. Being forced to pay again for an intentionally subpar "upgrade" is grating in the extreme and does not put me in the mood to buy the new ships. I'll just get by on the few characters I have that have lockbox ships and ghetto all my other characters into the veteran destroyer.

Geko needs to realize that using the stick just pisses people off. Honey is a much better strategy in a retail environment.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Nah, ONLY the t6 ship locked boffs have animations and ONLY on t6 ships... "because we want you buying the new ships".

Everything else, t5u, your 10 new captain levels and your ship traits will have ZERO animations.

Reputations had animations for free but ignore that and let's talk about LoR having 8 free ships for you, ship abilities - with animations, and free outfits. 5-10 outfits ?

All I am saying is I take offence by the attempt alone. 10$ for some hull hp is an insult, funny but an insult still
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Nah, ONLY the t6 ship locked boffs have animations and ONLY on t6 ships... "because we want you buying the new ships".

Everything else, t5u, your 10 new captain levels and your ship traits will have ZERO animations.

Reputations had animations for free but ignore that and let's talk about LoR having 8 free ships for you, ship abilities - with animations, and free outfits. 5-10 outfits ?

All I am saying is I take offence by the attempt alone. 10$ for some hull hp is an insult, funny but an insult still

So, a T5U upgrade will cost 1,000 Zen? That's more than I expected (I thought they'd be cool about it, and sell it for 500 Zen or so).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    So, a T5U upgrade will cost 1,000 Zen? That's more than I expected (I thought they'd be cool about it, and sell it for 500 Zen or so).
    they haven't stated a price.

you need to keep in mind this guy is stuck in some ocd logic loop. he keeps going on about animations and lor's 8 free ships, but can't seem to grasp those ships were meaningless to the 75% of the players who don't play romulans. he can't understand that new content for everyone is better then new content for a fraction of the players.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    they haven't stated a price.

you need to keep in mind this guy is stuck in some ocd logic loop. he keeps going on about animations and lor's 8 free ships, but can't seem to grasp those ships were meaningless to the 75% of the players who don't play romulans. he can't understand that new content for everyone is better then new content for a fraction of the players.

Honestly, an animation, in the grand scheme of things, is minor. I'm already most happy with my 11th console. A ship trait animation would have been cool, though.

Good to hear the price isn't set yet, though. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'd turn most of the animations and special effects off if I could, so I'm fine with it personally.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    also the upgrade tokens will be like the fleet modules and the can be sold on the exchange. so if you don't want to spend money or dilithium-earned-zen just wait for others to start selling them on the exchange. i'll probably buy a couple of them off the exchange myself for my less used characters.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    In either case, 10$ for some hull HP passive, hilarious

Cite a source where they confirm it's $10 or stop spouting this TRIBBLE. Making up a set number to feed your bias against the idea is how false rumors get started and right now we need as few of those as possible.
  • Options
    elijahmreelijahmre Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Wait, I'm sorry --- Maybe I'm not just too dense. Why is it bad they they want to incentivize the purchase of T6 ships? Or is it just the way he said it?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I heard 10-15$ per ship so I was being polite before.

But just to clarify...

Passives, passive stats with no animation, in terms of work they have to do is roughly the same it takes for you to send a txt.

Animations or ship skins - 8 for free in LoR, takes WEEKS of good solid work.

So, in terms of value I hope you understand the clear picture that's forming here.

All the work went into animations of t6 ships boffs "because we wanted to sell those ships" and can only guess someone felt they were on rocky ground it being unofficial design?
    Threw everything at it but the kitchen sink

And so there is litterly nothing for t5u, character leveling or ship traits.

Not one single animation there - aka. no WORK put in there aka no VALUE for t5u, 10 character levels AND space traits. THE GOOSE EGG

SO, 1+1=2

And, yes, this is where I like to bring up the 8 ships we got for free with LoR, the amount of work and value put into that versus the goose egg this time
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I heard 10-15$ per ship so I was being polite before.
    no you didn't, because even the in the blog it's listed as 5 or 10, not 10 or 15. but that's been pointed out to you before and you just ignore it.
    But just to clarify...

Passives, passive stats with no animation, in terms of work they have to do is roughly the same it takes for you to send a txt.

Animations or ship skins - 8 for free in LoR, takes WEEKS of good solid work.

So, in terms of value I hope you understand the clear picture that's forming here.

All the work went into animations of t6 ships boffs "because we wanted to sell those ships" and can only guess someone felt they were on rocky ground it being unofficial design?
    Threw everything at it but the kitchen sink

And so there is litterly nothing for t5u, character leveling or ship traits.

Not one single animation there - aka. no WORK put in there aka no VALUE for t5u, 10 character levels AND space traits. THE GOOSE EGG

SO, 1+1=2

And, yes, this is where I like to bring up the 8 ships we got for free with LoR, the amount of work and value put into that versus the goose egg this time

and here we go with the ocd stuff again. please type 8 ships 50 more times and then try to explain to me how that helped my fed andorian at all?
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    He wants me to buy a new ship? Hell I want to buy a new ship!
    Just not fed ships. I don't have a fed character and won't make one to buy the pack.

More kdf ships, please.
    Carrier? Bop?
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    if you want to hear the geko parts it starts at 36 minutes, and it's all about intel boffs and their powers.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    That is entirely false and anyone who has ever coded anything can tell you that.
    even geko talks about how they had to individually code 130 ships to make that work.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    one of the intel ground skills will be the ability sloan used to make it look like he was disintegrated when shot but really cloaked. :)

other new specializations in the future might include communications or pilot.