test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Devs, i really missed exploring "Expanse Zones".

wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
these are classic exploration regions when this game first launched years ago.
i cant fathom why it got pulled out, was it because of dil farming? i never got chance to finish serial mission to earn a purple doctor (doff) from delta (not that quaderant that is coming in Oct 14th).

i love those random types of adventures that deal with mix of first contacts, hostile encounters, and scanning missions.

please, i do really want to know if there is chance for "Exploring Expanses" or a new version of classic exploration that means as famous quote from original series and st:TNG series by saying "Space the final frontier where no one (man) boldly goes before"

that means alot to some players for sense of exploring, now that explorations and finding new worlds are gone, or meet new civliizations whom are barely on the verge of making first warp engines. now we dont do that anymore, and doing those dailies for dils and marks are getting old.

if making new expanses, it doesnt have to have any dils or marks, but a random chance of finding a "rare" technologies or upgrades if some players need. that all we need.

any suggestions? better ideas? or help out to give devs to change thier mind to reboot a new expanse format?
if any players dont like it, please dont flame, but explain reason why if oppose, but saying "devs dont have time" is no excuse and that dont answer few questions.

reason why i ask, is to give some players another options and fun to explore 'random' expanse zones and another means to level up some other chatacters or rerolls beside doing the episode missions, some missions are very hard and need few levels to come back to meet some requirements if some players cant find helps from other players or fleet members.

i dont wasnt to see those classic expanse retired since sto already had the random expanse mission blueprints, and i know some zones are buggy.

right now, sto is starting to feel generic and full of marks and dil grindings. i need a break from those and want to do something different and random.

devs, anything please ???

here the list of ideas.

scanning lost civilizations/ruins
finding beacons
go undercover explorings
repair prime directive if other advanced races interfering primative cultures.
breaking up slavers or rescources thieves
become 3rd party diplomats for rival factions
recover crews from crashed shuttles or lifepods.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    wylonus wrote: »
    i cant fathom why it got pulled out, was it because of dil farming? i never got chance to finish serial mission to earn a purple doctor (doff) from delta (not that quaderant that is coming in Oct 14th).

i love those random types of adventures that deal with mix of first contacts, hostile encounters, and scanning missions.

please, i do really want to know if there is chance for "Exploring Expanses" or a new version of classic exploration that means as famous quote from original series and st:TNG series by saying "Space the final frontier where no one (man) boldly goes before"

that means alot to some players for sense of exploring, now that explorations and finding new worlds are gone, or meet new civliizations whom are barely on the verge of making first warp engines. now we dont do that anymore, and doing those dailies for dils and marks are getting old.

if making new expanses, it doesnt have to have any dils or marks, but a random chance of finding a "rare" technologies or upgrades if some players need. that all we need.

any suggestions? better ideas? or help out to give devs to change thier mind to reboot a new expanse format?
    if any players dont like it, please dont flame, but explain reason why if oppose, but saying "devs dont have time" is no excuse and that dont answer few questions.

reason why i ask, is to give some players another options and fun to explore 'random' expanse zones and another means to level up some other chatacters or rerolls beside doing the episode missions, some missions are very hard and need few levels to come back to meet some requirements if some players cant find helps from other players or fleet members.

i dont wasnt to see those classic expanse retired since sto already had the random expanse mission blueprints, and i know some zones are buggy.

right now, sto is starting to feel generic and full of marks and dil grindings. i need a break from those and want to do something different and random.

devs, anything please ???

its more to do with the quality of the missions being an embarrasment to the developers TBH
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    We will never forget the Third Borg Dynasty. Bless their cybernetic hearts. RIP in peace. :(
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    jarod, is that long lost unrecorded xindi hamster? that is spooky. :)
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Let's face it, if there was a time to add a new exploration system, it would have been at the same time they removed the old one.

The devs have said that they realise removing them has made the game less Trek like, and that they will want to do something about that, but that could mean anything. Besides which, exploration had been in the same boat as PvP for years; with the devs saying they'd like to improve it, but never doing anything about it.

Frankly, I have no faith that we will ever see exploration return. I have a feeling that little easter eggs and accolades for getting to hard to reach spots in adventure zones are probably going to be all that explorers can hope for in STO from now on. :(
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    its more to do with the quality of the missions being an embarrasment to the developers TBH

I find it really hard to believe this when "masterpieces" like Divide et Impera are still prouldy in the game.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    i think devs were going wrong direction doing pvp format, it not every player's game theme, there are some who like pvp and but most of others dont do pvp due to "maxed" top tier or using undetectable cheat programs.
    i for one, really dont care for pvp, mostly if players want they can go to "Red Shirt" server for pure pvp. they dont seem care for explorings, just want another victim add to notch.

players are very varied, devs cant please everyone, maybe those devs were former pvp players from other games and think like that way. kinda very close minded.

that just my opinion, sorry devs.
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i think devs were going wrong direction doing pvp format, it not every player's game theme, there are some who like pvp and but most of others dont do pvp due to "maxed" top tier or using undetectable cheat programs.
    i for one, really dont care for pvp, mostly if players want they can go to "Red Shirt" server for pure pvp. they dont seem care for explorings, just want another victim add to notch.

players are very varied, devs cant please everyone, maybe those devs were former pvp players from other games and think like that way. kinda very close minded.

that just my opinion, sorry devs.

Seems the devs were thinking the same way about the clusters.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The devs had stated several reasons for pulling them,

1 Players got lost in them and couldn't get out.

2 They increased the amount of download and scared off new players by the size of it.

3 They were not up to the standard of their missions.

Here on the forums another one was thought of.

4 With the crafting revamp it was too easy to gather crafting mats by going there.

Numbers 1-3 were given us by the devs.

number 4 was what a bunch of forumites think, (Myself included)
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    thanks capinMax, i read the link to old post you suggested, lot of good ideas. sadly i saw head programmer "Shrad"(?), saying it is combat base game, not for exploring.

wow, sound like he just shot his own foot.

where is other game that has "explorings"?, there is none.

only exploration game i know is Elderscrolls, that set in fantasy theme, where you go in any caves, ruins and crypts to find things.
    Mass Effect isnt a exploration, just another sci-fi storyline driven from chapter to chapter.

original neverwinter nights and nwn2 are semi explorations, just follow events, it not same.

player-made is nice to have but it got to the point it not exploring once you know each corners.

but a random expanse is great and keep game fresh a little longer.

i saw a list of players on old post from other topic is staggering and popular request for explorable expanse, if the head programmer Shrad isnt the right person, and all they care is money, then they need a person who really understood the needs of players, and that what we need.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I really miss recovering third Borg dynasty relics.

Oh, wait, I don't.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Ren, you have a point about new players afraid of those massive downloads.
    i just feel those expanses were meant for experienced players who may want to run new alts or rerolls, the new players can decline expanse zones if they dont want or pc too small to handle?

i dont know what new players want, they will may never know what we had classic explorations, or the devs may have made poorly written mission for expanse with few words in quest tabs and no clue or got lost so easy, it not player's fault. devs were cutting corners with quest info with few vague words to work with.

it not that hard to learn what to do with expanse once you do few times over.

isnt that hard what to have "options" for expanses when some players who want to do or get a break from grinding for dils and rep marks?

adding new ideas.
    flying shuttle exploration concepts
    random shuttle combats
    find resources for repairs
    etc....
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'll just leave this here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1199301

All the devs would have to do is steal the exploration/discovery ideas from this, modifying the Genesis system to use them.

Would be cool to have 18.4 quintillion worlds in deep space to discover and explore. :P
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Nonsense young lad, you'll sit there and you'll go pew pew pew and you'd like it. None of this boldly going where no one has gone before! This doesn't exist here!

No sire bob!
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I don't miss them. Since I hadn't been there in nearly a year. At the time crafting was nearly a joke, so I didn't go there for the mats. Dil farming it wasn't all that, as I was doing other ways to get more and faster. The missions became repeating after a while I seen and done them all. So it was like how fast can I go to finish it. They was very buggy. Lot of times the mobs would get stuck in buildings, my Boffs was getting stuck in various places, and the list goes on and on.

Some of it was good, and I like it. As some of it was different by allowing not all shoot and move on. They could have done a lot to revamp it. But due to it was lacking and full of issues. That was why I didn't go back to them.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The old "Exploration" system could be a bit of fun, if you looked at them as three quick mini-missions. There are also the Patrols, but these are generally only playable once (you play it, then it disappears for that toon, never to return).

Then there's a Foundry mission put up a few weeks ago where you did what was in essence, a slightly extended Exploration/Patrol-style hybrid, involving the typical 'scan 5', then a twist... *spoilers*

As an idea that builds on this, an approach could be to introduce a tier of Foundry mission which basically pop up randomly in systems. To paint the picture: you're just minding your own business, but as you pass nearby Chapel System in Beta Ursae, a "Starbase 24"-style box pops up alerting you to something on scanners. You can choose to investigate, and if you do, you're taken into what is basically a featured mini-Foundry patrol taking only say, 10 minutes and getting a piece of purple equipment, R&D, or something small but good. Don't take it, and it disappears. It breaks monotony, adds some surprise and could be a good foundry writer training ground.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2014

don't you know you can still pick up the doff missions by going to the various clusters including all the serial or chain missions to get the purple doffs and also all the other exploration accolades associated with these clusters just by completing the equivalent number of doff missions as you would have needed to do actual missions.

and now you don't need to do those silly boring missions it doesn't take long to work your way through them all.

I have 7 purple doffs so far and most of the exploration accolades and I only started about a month ago.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    jarod, is that long lost unrecorded xindi hamster? that is spooky. :)

yes, yes it is
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    I find it really hard to believe this when "masterpieces" like Divide et Impera are still prouldy in the game.

those cluster missions were a whole level of TRIBBLE below divide et impera
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    those cluster missions were a whole level of TRIBBLE below divide et impera

Agreed. DEI is pants, but the exploration cluster missions were less believable than "Plan 9 from Outer Space".
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Imho i think weve seen the last of exploration in this game im talking real exploring like new worlds and lifefroms etc etc.

The devs are concentrating on Battlezones and will sight that theres your exploration etc etc and etc.

If cryptic is trying to take the trek out of star trek they are way ahead of the curve.