test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can we talk about warp core breaches?

voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
edited September 2014 in The Art of Star Trek Online
I'm tired so I'm just going to say this. Warp core breaches look pathetic. In the show, core breaches (I'm talking "real" ones, the ones they had the budget for) were huge white and orange explosions that encompassed the entire ship. They sent out a spherical shockwave that any any ship in range would get away from if the crew had half a brain.

Video clip: http://youtu.be/3BZpdSOrDbs?t=36s

In STO we have this pitiful little orange thing, which is often so small that you can see the ship disappear as it explodes. And why no debris if it's a tiny little explosion? Of all the improvements to game art, this is a very outdated and lacking effect. The Romulan singularity implosions got some love, it's about time warp cores did too. I mean, I love seeing a gigantic ship magically vanish in a tiny puff as much as the next guy, but... y'know, I'd much rather have it go BOOM.
I ask nothing but that you remember me.
Post edited by voporak on

Comments

• Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There should probably be a spherical shockwave that knocks nearby ships for sure.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    I'm tired so I'm just going to say this. Warp core breaches look pathetic. In the show, core breaches (I'm talking "real" ones, the ones they had the budget for) were huge white and orange explosions that encompassed the entire ship. They sent out a spherical shockwave that any any ship in range would get away from if the crew had half a brain.

Video clip: http://youtu.be/3BZpdSOrDbs?t=36s

In STO we have this pitiful little orange thing, which is often so small that you can see the ship disappear as it explodes. And why no debris if it's a tiny little explosion? Of all the improvements to game art, this is a very outdated and lacking effect. The Romulan singularity implosions got some love, it's about time warp cores did too. I mean, I love seeing a gigantic ship magically vanish in a tiny puff as much as the next guy, but... y'know, I'd much rather have it go BOOM.

Cryptic has proven how good of a job they can do if they put their minds to it (Romulan singularity core implosions). Now they have to revamp the other explosion effects accordingly, which still date back to the original release of the game.
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Indeed

I'm of two camps about this, Either we need serious Warp core breaches that completely destroy a ship, Or there needs to be some proper Debris left behind

Either or I'd be happy with, or both, with a random chance or either
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    amosov78 wrote: »
    There should probably be a spherical shockwave that knocks nearby ships for sure.

I vote for this. The overall explosion looks pretty good when a ship goes, but it and the "shockwave" should definitely be larger, in the case of the shockwave, much larger,... decreasing in amount of damage done as it radiates. Perhaps to a distance of 2km,...
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    corelogik wrote: »
    I vote for this. The overall explosion looks pretty good when a ship goes, but it and the "shockwave" should definitely be larger, in the case of the shockwave, much larger,... decreasing in amount of damage done as it radiates. Perhaps to a distance of 2km,...

Like a miniature version of the Crystaline Entity shockwave? does that one have damage drop off?
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    amosov78 wrote: »
    adverbero wrote: »
    Like a miniature version of the Crystaline Entity shockwave? does that one have damage drop off?

I have no idea if CCE does drop off or not. However according to show cannon, warp core breeches are supposed to be a fairly big deal with a lot of destructive power, capable of destroying entire other ships if they're too close.

Maybe the current damage they deal is fine as is, but the actual explosion and resulting shockwave should still definitely be larger.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Considering that the 1701-D's warp core breach in "Generations" hit the saucer section when it wasn't far enough away and knocked it for six and into a crash trajectory, I have to agree that the current 'warp core breach' graphics are definitely lacking...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    kasandarokasandaro Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The authenticist in me screams "yes yes yes!"

The player on a not-top-end video card looks at certain fights (Undine Assault, Spire, etc) and thinks "more visual spam lolsob."

Of course, we could have invisible shockwaves, right? Just like the Borg torps?
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You could balance it out by having a chance at a warp core breach, which should do times 10 the damage your explosive death does right now... with a kb range of up to 10 kilometres.

Yeah...

I dunno, 20 percent chance that your death will trigger a warp core breach.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    adverbero wrote: »

I think the CE shockwave just deals a set amount of damage within 10km. You don't even have to hit the shockwave. Ever tried to outrun it? It's not possible, when the entity emits the shockwave and you are one pixel within "10km" range you get hit, even if you clear with everything you got and retreat to 15km or whatever, you were already "flagged" for hit and recieve damage.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I think the CE shockwave just deals a set amount of damage within 10km. You don't even have to hit the shockwave. Ever tried to outrun it? It's not possible, when the entity emits the shockwave and you are one pixel within "10km" range you get hit, even if you clear with everything you got and retreat to 15km or whatever, you were already "flagged" for hit and recieve damage.

I've survived it, at 9.99 km... did 68,000 damage to me...
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited August 2014

You can survive it alright, but you can't avoid getting hit if you are within 10km the moment the shockwave is generated, you will get hit even if you exit the 10km while the wave travels. The amount of damage it deals is, I think, determined by a base value plus damage dealt to the entity while it "charges" and the amount of small fragments returned or something like that.

My Galaxy survives a shockwave normally if I activate all resistance abilities I got before impact with around 20% of hull on elite. My Nebula can take it if it's not pumped up too much during charging, but the Mogh on my Klingon tac usually doesn't survive the second wave - but I have no armour consoles slotted right now, maybe +kinetic res would help :)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think the explosion effect looks fine as it is, it just needs to scale with the size of the ship rather than its designation (frigate, cruiser, etc).
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I find the whole "immediate explosion on death" and respawn thing immersion breaking*. It's like we have a personal Q looking out for us, or an omega 13 on board! :D

I think a "dead in space" bleed out timer of 30 seconds or so would be good. Hit 0 HP, you're disabled and a 30 second core breach countdown starts. If it runs out, BOOM and respawn. However, if a friendly player or NPC comes along they can hit you with eng team, tac team or sci team to stop the timer and get you moving again so you can back off, repair any sustained injuries and get the hull and shields back up.
    Rezzing rather like on the ground.

It'll never happen though.

*First time I've ever said that. I feel like I need a shower.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,760 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Q should pop in on the side of the screen like the mortal kombat "toasty" guy and snap his fingers to respawn us
  • Options
    papertoastypapertoasty Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    i with a warp core breach revisit too

the amount of damage a player breach does compared to a npc breach is pathetic.
    as we all know, a core breach was big, why else did they say, 'move us to a safe distance' in the show.
    player core breach should do at a minimum 100k worth of damage. more or less depending on ship size and what warp core you have, ie a mk12 elite fleet core or rep core will make bigger boom than a white mk10 'oem' core.

like Jaime says on mythbuters, 'Jamie want big boom' :D
  • Options
    darlexadarlexa Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    kagasensei wrote: »
    Cryptic has proven how good of a job they can do if they put their minds to it (Romulan singularity core implosions). Now they have to revamp the other explosion effects accordingly, which still date back to the original release of the game.

maybe a two tier approach? there is an abandon ship toggle for when you are below 25% hull. it gives a bigger oomph to the detonation if your ship is destroyed, perhaps that is couple with a more forceful explosion effect?
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ironically, the most epic ship death i can possibly imagine would be for the ship to simply cease working. no hollywood explosion at all.
    not a chance it will happen. but it would be a marvel to behold.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Popped the Undine Set's damage resistance bubble and survived in my Avenger at 3km. Hull was down to 32%
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I usually just TRIBBLE myself while stuck next to a Cube about to go boom.

i save evasive action for that!

and nice, surviving at 3 km from the crystal
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Popped the Undine Set's damage resistance bubble and survived in my Avenger at 3km. Hull was down to 32%

I used HE, PH, SScan, Scattering Field, Science Fleet, Subspace Field Modulator, EPtS2, TT and survived it with my Nova.
    ZiOfChe.png?1