test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

36000 XP for a new level

sophlogimosophlogimo Member Posts: 6,507 Arc User
As it stands on Tribble, it requires about 36000xp to reach a new level. Episode replay only gives 425 XP.

Apparently, reaching level 60 on multiple alts is going to be a very long endeavor...
Remember, STO is nothing but a cosmetics game, where only the rule of cool matters. The game mechanics are intentionally out of balance, don't try to "optimize" anything, as it would just frustrate you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That’s a little misleading I just ran Stranded in Space and got 1240 for killing the boss ship and 3608 total by the end of the mission. So 9 of one of the most basic mission in game to level up. My guess is some of the higher level players have forgotton you get XP per kill in missions, forgot myself as it had been so many years since I had seen XP.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    As it stands on Tribble, it requires about 36000xp to reach a new level. Episode replay only gives 425 XP.

Apparently, reaching level 60 on multiple alts is going to be a very long endeavor...

To be honest I'm OK with that. Its been said many times here that its too easy to level up in STO so I can understand why they'd put a brake on it.
    server_hamster6.png
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Please explain to me why you have to reach Level 60 in three days or less?

:rolleyes:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    Please explain to me why you have to reach Level 60 in three days or less?

:rolleyes:
    It wouldn't have been 3 days it would have been over a year or more if it was as bad as the first poster said. Meaning 5+ years if you have alts.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    But your number was based off one episode replay. There are other factors we have to remember too, like DOFF reward exp, Foundry, Dailies, and who knows what's in store with the DQ missions. So I think it's just as fast as it's always been. I'm willing to bet that we would have Level 60s by hard-hardcore within 3 days if DQ launch.
  • kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    They explicitly said that 50 to 60 is not going to be as easy as 1 to 50. You will be doing multiple new missions to get just one level.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    They explicitly said that 50 to 60 is not going to be as easy as 1 to 50. You will be doing multiple new missions to get just one level.

Good, I wouldn't care if It took a whole years worth of playing to get Fleet Admiral, You want more pips Work for em!
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    It wouldn't have been 3 days it would have been over a year or more if it was as bad as the first poster said. Meaning 5+ years if you have alts.

I'd think if that were the case people would rejoice...

That means that They are thinking the game will last AT LEAST that long.

But I still don't get what's the hurry to cap out?

Isn't the FUN in actually playing the game??

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited August 2014
    Post-50 leveling is also not likely to be balanced around replaying level-50 and lower content. We won't be able to accurately judge the 50-60 leveling experience until the new content actually drops.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Elitists being elitists, they want to be the only ones who can grind out level 60.

Well... what about the majority, the casual players?

I hope the level 60 will be achievable in 2-3 weeks if you work for it.

Becasue fast leveling is one of the GOOD POINTS OF STO!
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There is not a dilithium finish now button?
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
    edited August 2014
    There is not a dilithium finish now button?

What is the forum rule about giving Cryptic ideas? :rolleyes:
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • mrgrocer56mrgrocer56 Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I am very OK with it taking longer than 1-50 and the "level per mission" standard.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    The same advice I gave before they made the KDF faction level up from level 1 instead of 20 applies here. Get your toons leveled up to 50 now, because the 1 level per mission thing is going away.
  • mrgrocer56mrgrocer56 Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The way I took it, Luch, is that 1-50 would remain the same and the 50-60 would slow down. But you are probably right, easier to just change the whole dang thing than just 10 lvls worth.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I wouldn't mind that if it meant we don't have to grind the same mission over and over.
    Unfortunately, this is cryptic, and I fully expect to have to grind something, perhaps involving sliders (they seems to love them), and not "simply" following the storyline as it is for 1-50.

I just hope I'm wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »

Becasue fast leveling is one of the GOOD POINTS OF STO!

Not in my eyes. I'd like to have a lot more time in each tier of ship, but you level so fast it feels like you're just getting to know a ship when they throw you a new one. Some levels, multiple new ones. And pre-tier 5 C-store ships certainly feel like a poor investment, unless you're like me and will happily take a t3 (sometimes lower!) ship into endgame content.

I appreciate leveling not being tediously slow, but STO has the opposite problem -- you level way too fast.
  • ridantonridanton Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Leveling 1 character and it taking awhile may not be a bad thing. But for people with alts, a lot of alts, something needs to give. Maybe something like the rep token system give an alt a large bonus in gaining experience.

Now, I know it's not the norm but I have ~40 characters. Lets just say each takes 2 weeks. That would be a year and a half to level all of them. 4 weeks to level? That's 3 years to level all my alts without even taking into account any grinding be it rep or whatever. That is just way over the top for time consumption for 1 game that's already 4 years old.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ridanton wrote: »
    That is just way over the top for time consumption for 1 game that's already 4 years old.

Perhaps because having 40 characters is way over the top ;)

I feel your pain though. I have 13 characters, a couple of them not 50 yet. I'm just taking one to 60 though, for the time being.

@erei1: I love your sig.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Have any of you folks played one of Cryptic's other games, Neverwinter?

They introduced a post level cap system into Neverwinter, that, although it does have story content, requires you to do daily missions of various levels in order to earn "tokens" which are then used in "projects" which essentially "unlocks" the story content ... Which allows you to earn more "tokens" which allows you to run more "projects" which allows you to "unlock" more story content ... etc, etc ...

They have also introduced missions that require you to collect a certain type of resource, which grants a certain power/ability/boost to gear, which in turn allows you to access further missions in the same arc ...

Now I'm not saying that Cryptic will be copying that mechanic wholesale from Neverwinter to STO, but the system seems to work reasonably well in that game, and seems to be generally accepted by players, and it also seems that from what little (read: miniscule) amount of information we have so far, we can deduce that perhaps a somewhat similar system may be what they are intending for STO.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • bds007bds007 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    Have any of you folks played one of Cryptic's other games, Neverwinter?

They introduced a post level cap system into Neverwinter, that, although it does have story content, requires you to do daily missions of various levels in order to earn "tokens" which are then used in "projects" which essentially "unlocks" the story content ... Which allows you to earn more "tokens" which allows you to run more "projects" which allows you to "unlock" more story content ... etc, etc ...

They have also introduced missions that require you to collect a certain type of resource, which grants a certain power/ability/boost to gear, which in turn allows you to access further missions in the same arc ...

Now I'm not saying that Cryptic will be copying that mechanic wholesale from Neverwinter to STO, but the system seems to work reasonably well in that game, and seems to be generally accepted by players, and it also seems that from what little (read: miniscule) amount of information we have so far, we can deduce that perhaps a somewhat similar system may be what they are intending for STO.

Isnt' this the same/similar to the reputation system?
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's a bit premature to really draw conclusions from this until seeing what kind of experience/progression rate DR content provides.

That said, the rising trend has been to stretch out progression into tedium lately with the game. This is a minor rant/tangent on my part, but one of the reasons I fell in love with STO was the lack of having to spend months grinding the same linear content. The progression wasn't levels or gear, it was learning the mechanics of the game and how to play competently. As said, it's a bit premature, but I really hope this isn't going to become yet another step down the self-destructive path that soo many F2P games of the past have taken.
  • illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    I wouldn't have any problem if it took a year of playtime to get to level 60 from level 50 IF there was actually going to be a year's worth of playtime of new missions.

There aren't. We're looking at maybe twenty missions at the absolute max for Delta Rising (LoR introduced like, fifteen or so), and after that it's just endless replay and grind- and while the missions are interesting to play through the first time, the fifth or sixth time you just want them to be over.

A step between stars is a very well made mission, but it's frigging long and annoying to do after you've done it three or four times and gotten every possible combination of events. If I never have to hear Undine!Cooper whining again it will be too soon.
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I dont mind more XP needed per level when it goes live, but pls dont expect me to test anything by grinding lvl on tribble too. Just put an npc somewhere that gives us a good chunk of xp fpr testing purposes.

And I dont see anything related to specialization points or whatever lvl 50+ stuff there should be. maybe its not there yet? Or do you need to reach lvl 51 for it to appear?
    edited August 2014
    szerontzur wrote: »
    It's a bit premature to really draw conclusions from this until seeing what kind of experience/progression rate DR content provides.

That said, the rising trend has been to stretch out progression into tedium lately with the game. This is a minor rant/tangent on my part, but one of the reasons I fell in love with STO was the lack of having to spend months grinding the same linear content. The progression wasn't levels or gear, it was learning the mechanics of the game and how to play competently. As said, it's a bit premature, but I really hope this isn't going to become yet another step down the self-destructive path that soo many F2P games of the past have taken.

This. If people like tediously slow leveling, than maybe they should not do missions that give a lot of it, instead of forcing everybody to grind it out...very...slowly.
  • enyinayaenyinaya Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    they have also increased the hull points of NPC ships, at elite difficulty a Galor Cruiser in the Trellius Satellite Repair Mission had more than 800K hull points in Trible, compared to 129K points now on Holodeck with same elite difficulty. Seems killing ships will take longer however, killing one of those ships grants you about 900 skill points which is even higher than the mission reward. So even with the reduction in mission rewards there will be numerous pools to get skillpoints that will be available.

No more will we be able to blow up ships 30 seconds into missions. Though I have not tested this on normal difficulty but I assume the change will be seen there as well.

I welcome the change, at least for now but many things are not yet set in stone and is bound to change.
    This are empty!
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    enyinaya wrote: »
    they have also increased the hull points of NPC ships, at elite difficulty a Galor Cruiser in the Trellius Satellite Repair Mission had more than 800K hull points in Trible, compared to 129K points now on Holodeck with same elite difficulty..

What a waste of time, increasing the time taken to kill something changes nothing for difficulty.
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited August 2014
    One of the devs did mentioned that they are moving away from the "level per mission" status from level 1 to 50... Because yes, it does take a short period of time to reach level 50... some have done it in 3 days, others in 1 day....

I personally like this idea....

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=18726061&postcount=16

This is all still in flux, but we are purposefully moving away from the "Mission per Level" XP rates that are common pre-50. We want players to experience a wide range of content during their journey to the new level cap, beyond just the story Episodes.
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
    This is all still in flux, but we are purposefully moving away from the "Mission per Level" XP rates that are common pre-50. We want players to experience a wide range of content during their journey to the new level cap, beyond just the story Episodes.

You know, this would be fine with me if it meant that I can fly over here to do one thing, and then I could fly over there to do something else, and then fly this way to do a third thing, and all of these things are radically different, like fighting, mining, diplomacy, etc.

But based on the past, Cryptics version of a "wide range of content" seems to be, you can join this queue to fight this bunch of bad guys, or you can join that queue to fight that bunch of bad guys. Which, to me, gets a bit old after a while.

I hope I am wrong, but all we can do now is wait and see.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    one thing that could help them better i feel is something temporary to help level to level 60 whatever it could be that would be a substitute for this new content and how to level up, that way levels can come and go and ranks to check out everything is okay.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.