test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A niggle: Gorn doing Klingon

cadfael71cadfael71 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Klingon Discussion
I've got a Gorn tac captain that I've been leveling up. I understand that they are allies to the Klingons but going through the story line my inner Trekkie feels queasy with my big iguana doing very Klink stuff. I was ok with him running around with a bat'leh but the mediating at Kahless' shrine got me.

Anybody else feel this way?
Post edited by cadfael71 on

Comments

• lordarathronlordarathron Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Having all Klingon allies become Klingons more or less is somewhat annoying for me, but I think it is unavoidable. Totally agree with you though.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That's because nobody gave two thoughts about how this game should work out back then. All they had was "Fed vs Klingons", but Klingons would lack the customization options the diverse UFP would offer, so they simply turned the Klingon Empire into the "Red Federation" where everyone appearantly follows Klingon habits and culture (which is of course because there were no resources or time to create content like homeworlds and starting locations and so on).
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Having all Klingon allies become Klingons more or less is somewhat annoying for me, but I think it is unavoidable. Totally agree with you though.

get over it you alien lesser species. this is the Klingon Empire you adapt to our ways not the other way around.

its canon
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• kasandarokasandaro Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There are several places in the Fed storyline that assume you're Terran, and the Romulan storyline is awful for assuming Remans and Romulans are interchangeable - even from Reman NPCs.
  • harkonnen0998harkonnen0998 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    icsairguns wrote: »
    get over it you alien lesser species. this is the Klingon Empire you adapt to our ways not the other way around.

its canon

What would be cool to have an assassination attempt to give it a liittle flavor
  • bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'd like to hear a Gorn speak Klingon. Slurred consonants anyone? :rolleyes:
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Try being a Lethean, a species that might as well not even exist for all the times they are mentioned in STO.
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    cadfael71 wrote: »
    I've got a Gorn tac captain that I've been leveling up. I understand that they are allies to the Klingons but going through the story line my inner Trekkie feels queasy with my big iguana doing very Klink stuff. I was ok with him running around with a bat'leth but the mediating at Kahless' shrine got me.

I would have to believe that Klingons that resist alien integration are like rl rednecks.
    They're around, but they're out in the boonies where said aliens probably wouldn't want to go anyway.

If there was a type of discrimination against an alien "warrior of the empire" then it would degrade an already fragile relationship imo.
    In-game (if it's proper to use it as an example) you have to investigate some Orions.
    J'mpok states that "some defiance is to be expected".
    From this, it's implied that there is alot of internal diplomacy when it comes to alien - Klingon relations...far more than one may expect.
    If the Empire was ruled with an iron fist, there would be no aliens in the KDF because they would all be dead.

Things Fedside, however, feel alot more insidious.

EDIT: TL;DR Doing Klingon stuff is fine because you're a Warrior of the Empire...I think that's all that matters.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • asardetemplariasardetemplari Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm waiting for the Klingon Empire of Conquered People to have a civil war when everything dies down.

The Federation and the Romulan Republic inevitably get pulled into it (Because the Federation can't keep our noses out of matters that don't concern us, and the Republic split into essentially both factions.)

If that happens, once the Federation takes the Klingons' side (which the inevitably will due to the Jenolan Accords), I won't be drawn into it. When my Federation career started, I had to hide my friendships with Orions, Gorn, Klingons... even Joined Trill! All because I was being watched and I didn't like that.

So if it does break out into civil war, I will align with the non-Klingon races of the Empire, against the Federation.
    latest?cb=20160406061118&path-prefix=en

Dreadnought class. Two times the size, three times the speed. Advanced weaponry. Modified for a minimal crew. Unlike most Federation vessels, it's built solely for combat.
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    rezking wrote: »
    I would have to believe that Klingons that resist alien integration are like rl rednecks.
    They're around, but they're out in the boonies where said aliens probably wouldn't want to go anyway.

If there was a type of discrimination against an alien "warrior of the empire" then it would degrade an already fragile relationship imo.

EDIT: TL;DR Doing Klingon stuff is fine because you're a Warrior of the Empire...I think that's all that matters.

i always refer back to this when i think of an alien species in the empire.

its not discrimination they allow them but they must act as the Klingons do. not the other way around.

Martok's wife is still in the game even.

me personally only species in the Empire i have issues with are the orions. i do not belive that the ideas they live by are at all compatible with the Klingons.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    cadfael71 wrote: »
    I've got a Gorn tac captain that I've been leveling up. I understand that they are allies to the Klingons but going through the story line my inner Trekkie feels queasy with my big iguana doing very Klink stuff. I was ok with him running around with a bat'leh but the mediating at Kahless' shrine got me.

It goes both ways. Yes it's a bit weird to have a Gorn meditating at a Kahless shrine, but do you honestly think the Klingons would be ok with allowing a Gorn to hold the rank of Admiral in the KDF or commanding ANY ship they have? More likely they'd be restricted to the rank of Captain or below and allowed only to fly Gorn ships. You'd think most Klingons would balk at the idea of allowing a Gorn to command something like a Mogh or a Bortasqu.
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    variant37 wrote: »
    It goes both ways. Yes it's a bit weird to have a Gorn meditating at a Kahless shrine, but do you honestly think the Klingons would be ok with allowing a Gorn to hold the rank of Admiral in the KDF or commanding ANY ship they have? More likely they'd be restricted to the rank of Captain or below and allowed only to fly Gorn ships. You'd think most Klingons would balk at the idea of allowing a Gorn to command something like a Mogh or a Bortasqu.

Don't be so sure, they let S'taass speak for the Klingon Empire in important matters such as the talks regarding the Borg on DS9. As well as being the main Ambassador for the Jenolan talks.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,863 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    kasandaro wrote: »
    There are several places in the Fed storyline that assume you're Terran, and the Romulan storyline is awful for assuming Remans and Romulans are interchangeable - even from Reman NPCs.

Not to mention there are spots that assume you're a Federation or Klingon officer just because you're aligned with them...
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Klingon cultural imperialism. The Gorn were defeated, so they have to accept the victor's customs.

Except they don't. They were given self-rule according to the Path to 2409.

It's just Cryptic being lazy/lacking resources. My char's a Lethean and thus has even less reason to be a tlhIngan Hol-spamming blood knight than the Gorn do (they and the Nausicaans are just in it for the latinum).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Surprised no one has posted this yet.

Though maybe it's a sign that this forum has some sanity after all.
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    They only recently got the technology to recognize different races so they had to do it the way they did it.

Besides your not just a citizen of the Klingon Empire, your a member of the KDF, within a Klingon military culture.

Still its cool when the game recognizes your species isn't Klingon.

y
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Except they don't. They were given self-rule according to the Path to 2409.

It's just Cryptic being lazy/lacking resources. My char's a Lethean and thus has even less reason to be a tlhIngan Hol-spamming blood knight than the Gorn do (they and the Nausicaans are just in it for the latinum).
    Have you tried the Klingon storyline as an Orion? :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg