test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need some help with newb confusion

cadfael71cadfael71 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
edited August 2014 in The Academy
Been playing STO maybe a week and have some things I would wish to have clarified...

1. Are these PVE missions you que for like dungeons in WOW?

2. I got a Rom engineer up to 50 but with the expansion I'm not sure how hard to work on getting a better ship -- thoughts?

3.Would an Orion female make a good science toon? if not, what?

4. Does the 'rarity' of boffs make any real difference?

TIA,
Live long and prosper,
Nanu nanu,
Tony aka cadfael71
Post edited by cadfael71 on

Comments

• pompoulusspompouluss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    cadfael71 wrote: »
    Been playing STO maybe a week and have some things I would wish to have clarified...

2. I got a Rom engineer up to 50 but with the expansion I'm not sure how hard to work on getting a better ship -- thoughts?

TIA,
    Live long and prosper,
    Nanu nanu,
    Tony aka cadfael71

1) Yup. They're known as Special Task Force missions, 'stfs'

2) My advice, keep gathering resources but don't spend them yet. I'd be surprised if your Dil/Zen didn't come in handy for the expansion.

3) Any race can hold their own as any class. As for whether an Orion's racial abilities are suited to science, I dunno.

4) I believe the rarity of boffs dictate the power of their traits and the rarity of their boff abilities but I am guessing.
  • celavazmycelavazmy Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    hey,

1, yeah sort of, but not all PVE queues are STFs

2, as pompoulus said, save your money (ECs, Zen, Dili) and experience the game, sooner or later you will get the feeling what and how you want to play.

3, well Orions dont have special traits that improve science skills, but the traits have a minimal impact on the gameplay; except you want the very best for a specific gamestyle, you can ignore the initial racial traits.

4, yeah, the rarity defines which passive and active skills they can have. Here and here are some useful infos.
  • cadfael71cadfael71 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for the answers.

On the rare boffs I guess I ought to pay attention to their traits more and start comparing their skills a little more closely.
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited August 2014

TIA,
    Live long and prosper,
    Nanu nanu,
    Tony aka cadfael71

1. Yes, sort of, but most pve queues are NOT stfs.

2. Dont. Just save your resources, specially dilithium and zen. Because when you are new, you waste a lot of things and you realize later that you should saved em to buy better ones, or invest your resources in better things, or specially now that the new expansion is here. At least, wait a few months until you know more things about the game, and how other things works. Before you invest any dilithium or zen in anything.

3. Yes it will. Because it doesnt matter what race you pick up. Any race can be a science toon an engineer or a tactical. Of course, some races may have better traits for what you plan to do, and the style of play you want, but im afraid that, until you play a lot more, these things are not important. In a few months, when you already learned almost everything about the game, then you can start over and do things 200% right.

4. Sometimes, but not always. You need to worry about having a boff that fullfill your ship station style play, thats all. Of course, the better the boff, the higher tier of skills he will have. But again, all this will be better to check it out when you already learned everything about the game.

It may sound repetitive, but again, just play and play and play. This game requires A LOT of patience, and you will only learn everything you need to if you play for a few months. Until then, you should not bother asking too many questions, as they are going to be answered just playing the game... ;)
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Regarding #2....

Hold off on purchasing any ship since it is unknown at this time how much of an improvement the T6 ships will be over the current T5.5 ships. The T6 ships are supposed to have abilities unique only to T6 ships. T5.5 can supposedly be upgraded to be competitive with T6, but cannot be made to equal T6 ships. It is unknown how "expensive" / time consuming it will be to upgrade aa T5.5 ship. Current free T5 ships can be used play end game content. All my toons either use free T5 ship or a mirror universe variant purchased from the Exchange.

Continue to grind for dilithium and refine it. Convert to Zen if you feel the exchange rate is good. Personally, I am hoping that the exchange rate will drop back down to 155 dilithium per 1 Zen before I start converting again.

Work on the reputation systems that you think works best for you. However, do not purchase any of the ship gear until after Delta Rising has been released. I am guess, but do not know for a fact, that the mark level will of gear from the reputation store will increase to Mk XIV when Delta Rising is released. Purchasing now will mean you will only have Mk XII gear which may or may not be upgradeable to Mk XIV. If upgradeable you will likely need to spend resources and time to do so.

My science Romulan toon is working on the Omega (Borg) Rep and the New Romulan Rep. I have decided that i will attempt to turn my Ha'nom Guardian Warbird into a torpedo ship (no beam weapons).
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited August 2014

TIA,
    Live long and prosper,
    Nanu nanu,
    Tony aka cadfael71

1- of course. its a drop down on your map to join. There are no "raids"; the toughest missions only take 1/2 an hour tops and only have a few players relative to 40 in wow.

2) I would focus on rep & stockpiling dil, fleet cred, and zen for now, spend nothing.

3) orions are good for nothing except eye candy and ground combat*. IIRC the alien is probably best kdf choice tied with nauscissian for science. The orion would not be bad, but if you are max/min a space character, it is *very very slightly* less good than these other 2. If you like the eye candy, have fun with her, it is perfectly viable.

4) yes and no. Rarity of BOs means more "superior" skills which, usually being ground, usually do not matter to space-centric players. Purple BO can get some rare skills, but you can get the skills elsewhere so that is not critical. In the grand scheme of things, a KDF player with a nauscissian BO team is going to be excellent even if they are all blue you are assured to have pirate space trait (no superior or inferior option for it, its 100% and always the same quality) and some solid ground traits. Ideally a kdf player wants purple pirates with superior something (aggression, perhaps?). But you can do just fine with blues. Typically, BOs are worthless in the exchange and you can buy purples with solid stats cheaply, so there is no need to skimp at 50.

* ground combat is far less popular than space content. If you enjoy it, then you should study it and make your own decisions on race of your char and officers. My suggestions assume that like most players, you focus on space. However, for kdf and only kdf, nauscissian officers are still hard to beat; the only improvement are cross faction operative romulans which you may or may not have access to.
    edited August 2014
    Thanks again for all the input. Another question that I haven't found the answer for. What (besides a tribble) do you outfit your for slots on buffs with? For example, do they use shield charges, hypos, etc?
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thanks again for all the input. Another question that I haven't found the answer for. What (besides a tribble) do you outfit your for slots on buffs with? For example, do they use shield charges, hypos, etc?

yes, they use them. Oh yes, they do. If they get so much as a scratch, they will burn a big hypo or shield charge, and any combat triggers the power cells. They seem to not actually use tribbles, because they heal fast out of combat & cant use them in-combat. They don't grok breaking combat, using it, and going back in.

I leave mine mostly empty. My officers have enough healing from their skills; I run with 2 engineers that drop all the devices for shields and healing. My roms have the rebreahters and someone has a fire extinguisher and other random ground items that you find along the way.
  • ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I'm assuming you meant to write BOffs instead of buffs. BOffs will use any equipment you slot for 'em: Hypos, charges, Ophidian Canes... They may not use the equipment optimally, but they'll use 'em.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I don't bother giving any hypos to my Boffs.

They simply go through them like candy. I am wondering if they are using the hypos to treat little bumps and paper cuts.
    edited August 2014
    So with what I'm learning about the Boff's (rarity, traits, unique skills, etc), is there a guide to 'turning over' Boffs and how to use them to best effect?
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Not having ever played WoW, I would assume so based on other replies.

If you see/find a ship you like and that would fit your playstyle and you have the resources to get it, sure. No reason not to. It will still be perfectly useful after DR, it just won't be "top of the line" anymore, if that matters to you. Same with gear.

No worse than any other race, Though some part of me tend to think Romulans make the best Sci characters due to some of their racial traits. I have no evidence to support this, I don't play Sci, just a gut feeling/intuition. I could be wrong.

Yes.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If you really get down into some of the details, it makes all the difference,

For example, pairing off Bridge officer abilities with "active" duty officer powers for extra effect.

you should also always keep a "decrease transwarp cool down" DOFF handy.

I would like explain the issues with the answers to question 1.

Special Tasks Force missions are a select breed of PVE mission for 5 players. They started as longer, repeatable story missions that required you to team up in the Gamma Orionis Sector block.

During the conversion to Free to Play in late 2011 (with the launch of Season 5), it was decided to split their Space and Ground components into separate missions.

All but one STF is related to the Borg. The missions were originally "Infected" "Cure" and "Khitomer Accord", with the non-borg missions being the Undine based "Terradome". In the Season 5 split, they were named "STF name: Map type" example "Infected Space" Cure Ground."

Their difficulty was also split to "Normal" and "Elite." On a scale of one to 10, the normal missions are 5s, the original length missions were 7s and the elites are 10s

Terradome was not split, and is currently not active pending a remastering.

In a later update, the missions were given separate names to better tell them apart

Infected Space became Infected: The Conduit (note this is by far the easiest STF)

Infected Ground became Infected: Manus

The Cure Ground became The Cure Applied

The Cure Space became the Cure Found

Khitomer Space became Khitomer Vortex

and Khitomer Ground became in Stasis

Also, the last of the Borg STFs were added, two missions made in the double split (Space/Ground-Normal/Elite) method for the start.

Into the Hive (ground) and Hive Onslaught.(Space)

This split nature makes the overall story had to follow but it goes sort of like this

Infected space->Infected Ground->Cure Ground->Cure Space-> The first half of Khitomer Space->Khitomer ground->the back half of Khitomer Space-> Hive Ground->Hive space.

I mention all this because it's a bit of an annoyance that some members of the player base think all PVE content are STFs, which is not true.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I give all my boffs one gribble, one stack of small hypos, one Borg remodulator, and one special item like the combat horta or ophidian cane. They will not eat food, however.

Unlike others I don't find my boffs use hypos all that fast.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    1. Yes but the vast majority of them are 5-man teams. A couple of them go up to 20. Several of them are called "Fleet Actions" instead of "Special Task Forces" but it's just a label.
    2. Cryptic hasn't released any details about what's coming in October, so continue to collect and hold onto your resources until we know what's up.
    3. Player species traits have essentially no effect on science skills
    4. Rarity defines how many "superior" traits a BOff will have. Common will have none, Uncommon may have a "basic" version of a trait, Rare may have a Basic and a Superior version of a trait, and a Very Rare can have two Superior traits. Although the difference in trait levels is only a few percentage points.
    5. I give my BOffs a Tribble (that they will incessantly stroke), and a Frequency Remodulator for fighting Borg (which I replace with a Fractal Remodulator when I get enough resources from the Defera invasion zone). 3 of my 4 away team Boffs also get a combat horta (one regular, one acid, one crystal) because you can only unbox one of each type per character. It's a waste of time to give them any consumable devices because they'll burn through them in 2 minutes, so any other cool gadgets (Ophidian Cane, Pattern Enhancer) go in the last slot.
    Terradome was not split, and is currently not active pending a remastering.

Translation: Terradome is gone forever, just like "Gekli Feeding Grounds" "DS9 Under Siege" "Foxes and Hounds" "Distress Call" "Starbase 24 Rescue" and others.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.