test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Still no Romulan Doff?

fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
Last Junior Doff weekend there was supposed to be a contact that rewarded Romulan players their own special duty officer in addition to their allied counterparts, but it didn't spawn due to a bug. Some people even had the mission that rewarded the doff in their log, but could't turn it in.

pwecaptainsmirk even noted that it was a bug and that it went on his "never forget" list:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=16298681&postcount=177

So the solution to fixing that bug doesn't seem to be to add him the next time the event is around, but to simply remove the feature of a seperate, romulan doff altogether.

For me, that makes pwecaptainsmirk a liar.

And instead of explaining why it was removed altogether, we gget a snappy "learn to read"-kind of post from smirk.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=18636071&postcount=15
Post edited by fraghul2000 on

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Your Special DOffs from the Junior Officer Appreciation event...

Feds get the Exocomp
    KDF get the Reman

Both of whom you can obtain from the event contact at their Faction's respective Academies.

As far as the Romulan DOff, as many of you have seen from the update to the event, Rojal no longer exists on the map, and will not be returning.

The last time we ran this event, there was a bit of old data that crept its way into this event that had an unfortunate consequence for some of our Romulan players.

During the event, an old Romulan-only version of the Reinforcements mission was available on New Romulus Command asking players to talk to a contact that no longer exists. As a result, the mission was not able to be completed and many players were confused as to what they needed to do in order to get their special Duty Officer.

Had the NPC been able to give Romulan players the correct mission on New Romulus Command, they would have been directed to either Starfleet or Klingon Academy, based upon their factional allegiance, to talk to the same contacts used by Federation and Klingon players to receive their special Duty Officer: an Exocomp for Federation-aligned Romulans, and a Reman for Klingon-aligned Romulans.

We apologize for any inconvenience experience by players during this event. We have taken steps to ensure this doesn’t happen again during this Junior Officer Appreciation Weekend Event, and when it is run again in the future.

While this will remain forever on my never forget list, it will be because I couldn't bring you the Romulan Liberated Borg DOff everyone was expecting.

While I have been able to help out with other issues and requests over the last several months, this time I won't be able to bring you this reward.

I'm very sorry I can't create this DOff for you all. but I sincerely hope you enjoy this weekend event, and that you are able to complete the event mission to get your hands on many high quality DOffs during the current running.

Thanks for your understanding everyone!

~CaptainSmirk

Not happening - gone.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Wow really, they are just going to leave people high, and dry like that huh?

Nice way to pull a complete 360 there Cryptic!!! :mad:
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    A 180 is what you mean. A 360 would have the Doff available as promised. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    from reading ltminns quote.... the romulan doff was never meant to have exist in the first place, that a bug gave you the incompletable mission rrather than the proper one.

nowhere in smirks quoted post does it actually say that they were going to put it in. just because thats what players were hoping he meant, doesnt mean thats what he actually said.

Edit: The linked post in the OP says that they are worling to fix the bug, but it wont be complete in time for the event, which tells me it'll be in the next one.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I like it how he hints to "we copy and pasted a bit too much code"^^
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tenkari wrote: »
    from reading ltminns quote.... the romulan doff was never meant to have exist in the first place, that a bug gave you the incompletable mission rrather than the proper one.

nowhere in smirks quoted post does it actually say that they were going to put it in. just because thats what players were hoping he meant, doesnt mean thats what he actually said.

Edit: The linked post in the OP says that they are worling to fix the bug, but it wont be complete in time for the event, which tells me it'll be in the next one.

Think you may have missed the date on that linked post.

April, this year.

The next one, when that was written, is this one.

Then it was an admitted oversight, now it is apparently wai all along.

One of those posts contains errors of fact. We actually don't know which.

The oversight, the new explanation, the inability to acknowledge error....the worst of it for me is that, like Gekos cracks about feedback on the Doff ui, we can see the falsehood right in front of us.

It's like they don't care about the veracity of what's said, at all.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Let us assume that Romulans got their very own unique duty officer for this event. Lots of Romulan players received the Exocomp or Reman duty officer from the previous event. Either Romulans would have 2 unique duty officers from this event while Feds and KDF only have 1 or the devs would have to remove the Exocomp and Reman unique duty officers from all Romulans. Either way, it would cause problems no matter what they did. Personally, I would go for removing the faction aligned duty officer and have a unique Romulan duty officer, but some players will say Cryptic is removing another part of the game.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Let us assume that Romulans got their very own unique duty officer for this event. Lots of Romulan players received the Exocomp or Reman duty officer from the previous event. Either Romulans would have 2 unique duty officers from this event while Feds and KDF only have 1 or the devs would have to remove the Exocomp and Reman unique duty officers from all Romulans. Either way, it would cause problems no matter what they did. Personally, I would go for removing the faction aligned duty officer and have a unique Romulan duty officer, but some players will say Cryptic is removing another part of the game.

I don't even see it as a problem.

So, romulans might end up with two doffs, both with the same powers, but different species.

In amongst all the things that unbalance the game, this is really low on the list.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Bit personal, donthca think? I suppose you've never had your boss tell you "Say whatever you have to, just make this go away." I may not buy the 'official story' but I do believe that Smirk has his hands tied here.
    And instead of explaining why it was removed altogether, we gget a snappy "learn to read"-kind of post from smirk.
    I believe your frustration is making you read snark into the post that wasn't there.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    I don't even see it as a problem.

So, romulans might end up with two doffs, both with the same powers, but different species.

In amongst all the things that unbalance the game, this is really low on the list.
    And if this really were the problem, many of us have stated multiple times that we would be just fine with trading the exocomp/Reman for the equivalent Lib Borg Rom doff. I'm sure not everyone would be happy with that choice, but it would help.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    And if this really were the problem, many of us have stated multiple times that we would be just fine with trading the exocomp/Reman for the equivalent Lib Borg Rom doff. I'm sure not everyone would be happy with that choice, but it would help.

I'd personally be okay with that option.

The fact it would be an option is better than nothing at all.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My thoughts on this matter can be summed up very simply:

T'Ress: WANT!!!!

Based on what Smirk said, and what we actually got.... I'm wondering if this was supposed to be a future special event...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, looks like they are just going to sweep it under the rug and pretend like the doff was never intended to be available to Romulans for the event...instead of a bug preventing players from collecting it the first time around.

The new statement is pretty heavily contradicts the old one, and Cryptic is definitely trying to wiggle out of expectations that the Doff would be back this time.

Unfortunate to see captainsmirk try to weasel out of his previous statement. I would have expected better.

Regardless, we have the previous statement on record, so I guess that's another black mark on Cryptic's record (although how big of a mark depends on how much you were looking forward to finally getting your Romulan-doff this time around)
  • tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Personally I'm sick of the Romulans getting their own stuff and their allied stuff but the allies can't get the Romulan stuff. We're friends enough to give you things, but they aren't friends enough to share their toys. Hell of a friendship there. We can't even put their uniforms on the few of their people we're allowed to have on our ships after working hard to get that right. The Romulan Republic are a bunch of selfish, ungrateful, spoiled little brats that don't play well with their "friends". :D
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yes, one-way benefits of the alliance is pretty awful, but it's also true that it covers for a lack of unique Romulan content. The Republic is in a weird place right now where they have more benefits than a pure KDF/Starfleet player, but have less 'Romulan' content than a KDF or Starfleet players has 'KDF' or 'Starfleet' content. I don't think many Romulan players would complain if they lost those benefits if they had pure Romulan content to replace it.

The issue at hand here is that Cryptic once again decided to have KDF/Federation content pull double duty for the Republic again rather than develop the Republic faction, made worse by the fact in this instance that they already made and promised the doff last time around but screwed up and are now pretending they never made those promises or intended the doff to be available rather than fix the bug.

This combined with the fact that folks are reporting the glitch that caused the academy instructor to rob players of their particle fragments makes me suspect that cryptic barely touched this event since it last came up, despite the rather awful bugs. rather disappointing IMO.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Last Junior Doff weekend there was supposed to be a contact that rewarded Romulan players their own special duty officer in addition to their allied counterparts, but it didn't spawn due to a bug. Some people even had the mission that rewarded the doff in their log, but could't turn it in.

pwecaptainsmirk even noted that it was a bug and that it went on his "never forget" list:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=16298681&postcount=177

So the solution to fixing that bug doesn't seem to be to add him the next time the event is around, but to simply remove the feature of a seperate, romulan doff altogether.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=18636071&postcount=15

That's disappointing. When my Rom couldn't get the Exocomp the first time, I felt sad, and slightly annoyed, but soon got over it, as we were led to be believe they'd get to it next round. Well, that time is now. And this time the no-show is apparently intentional.

What a let-down.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tenkari wrote: »

Hahaha! "Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • camenecius#5698 camenecius Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    With my Federation-aligned Romulan, Centurion Velaar still gives the Reinforcements quest, but it directs you to Starfleet Academy's Captain Jarol who will indeed grant an Exocomp. A fix of sorts?
    edited August 2014
    ltminns wrote: »
    A 180 is what you mean. A 360 would have the Doff available as promised. :)

The 360, was to imply originally they took the npc out, and said they would put him back in later. This is where the 180 would have applied, but instead now they went back on that word, by again saying "oh sorry we will not put this npc back into the game" it is WAI, and this is where they pulled their other 180, so 180 + 180=360!!!

edited August 2014
    starkaos wrote: »

Well technically speaking, Romulan's normally obtain 2X the doffs of their aligned faction, with recruitment from both the command center, and their aligned recruitment location, so it would seem correct.

• jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I still have the Reinforcements mission in my log as in progress.

In the details there is even a PICTURE of the doff T'ress.

I for one would have liked this to be available (give players that picked up a faction doff last time to keep it, and get a 2nd romulan version, players that werent around last time just geot the rom one - no big deal) but what's done is done and it isn't going to happen.

The mission should have been removed upon login after the patch so that it doesn't taunt people!

idaDrDZWj
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • no09dysonsphereno09dysonsphere Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well technically speaking, Romulan's normally obtain 2X the doffs of their aligned faction, with recruitment from both the command center, and their aligned recruitment location, so it would seem correct.

Of all the things that's been complained about (SRO boffs, warbirds, valdore console, etc etc etc) that's the one that I don't get because you can easily run another set of recruitment missions by leveling an alt to what, level 10? And having to run to Earth from NR will eventually add up to more time than just making the alt and parking it in front of the personnel officer.

If they just added 2 more missions to Velaar that takes the exocomp/reman as an input and spit out T'Ress I'd be a happy camper, and that'd be easier than unstucking poor Rojal from beneath the floor right?
This discussion has been closed.