test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

FAQs - Questions about the Chat and Menu

malazancommandermalazancommander Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2014 in The Academy
Should you ask any questions here, it may take me a while. So if you're a beginner and you don't hear from me, inbox me ingame (no pm's).

>>> NEED MORE HELP? IF SO, VIEW MY MASTER GUIDE RIGHT HERE <<<

This Guide was predominantly made for new players.

This is pretty much everything you need to know about the chat and the main menu.
For more information about the Space screen, check out my other Guide/FAQ.

LOCAL, ZONE, FLEET, TEAM, SERVICE AND TRADE?
You should see the word "Zone" in your chat. Click on it to change chat rooms.
To change chat options, click on the "Escape" key on your keyboard, and then choose "Chat Settings". The options there are fairly simple, nothing complicated. At the top, there is a tab that allows you to join/leave/create channels.

What is the difference between Local and Zone chats?
There is some debate about what Local and Zone means. I've come to realize that Local simply means the room you are in. As for Zone, it would mean the current Zone you are in, cross-instances. If you are in the Earth Academy, this would mean everyone in the Earth Academy could see what you type – granted those in any instance globally. I have personally spoken to people who were on different instances as me and came to my instance to physically be there with me.

If you have any doubt, go to space in either the Earth Space Dock, New Romulus or Qo'Nos. Wait a while, and finally energize onto the planet. See all that text popping up? It wasn't there before! Because you were in a different Zone!

However, there is an exception to this rule; if you are in a queued event, ONLY the people in that queued event with you will see what you type. Any chat from the exterior will not be seen by you either.

What is the Fleet chat?
As for the Fleet chat, this is basically the chat you use with your fleet. No one can see what you type there, except them.

Your team chat is very similar. This usually includes people in your team in a queued event, and people who joined your team because you invited them to be on your team and vice versa.

What is the Service and Trade chat?
As for the Service and Trade chat, this is where people want to buy, sell or trade items. If for some reason you're not subscribed to it, join it. It is fairly safe, as you get to go to a player and choose a specific option called "Trade". Afterwards, you simply place in your item(s)/EC in the tray and you get to click on a specific button to lock in the trade. Of course, wait for the other person to place his/her item(s)/EC.

Within this same chat, you will see this jargon: WTS / WTB / WTT.
They stand for: Want to Sale / Want to Buy / Want to Trade

What's that? More info?
Do you know what's great?

- Press the "escape" button on your keyboard
- Choose "Chat Settings"
- Here you can join/create chat rooms. Or simply search for one. This section is fairly easy to understand. On top of things, you can change the colours of the text. What is great, is that whatever you remove will be reflected instantaneously. What's even better, is that if you remove and then re-add a chat, the text that was there will not be gone forever. It'll still be there, so you can test out whatever you want, without fear of the former text in the chatbox disappearing if you decide to re-add it ten seconds later.

WHAT SHOULD I KNOW ABOUT THE MAIN MENU?
Let's go step by step. Left, right and then middle. The ones on the left and right are pretty much self-explanatory:

There is only one that might need some explanation. The "Social" icon has several options that need some tuning:

- "Team Settings" Basically, these are the options that are automatically used upon creating a team. Creating a team is simply done by inviting up to five players in your team. A team can do missions together, fight other players (usually in a queued event), as well as fight in the Dyson Sphere and loads of other places.

I suggest you choose these options on the right hand side: "Open Team", "Free for all" "Rare". Why choose those? This makes it easier when you create your team, and setting the loot to "Rare" is worth it – since most items you find are "common", you'll want to set this at "Rare". "Uncommon" is also acceptable, depending on your level.

- "Search" This option contains all the current players in the same Zone as you.

What about the one in the middle?
Again, most of them are self-explanatory, but I will explain those you may have questions about.

Duty Officers

- Roster: This includes your Duty Officers, Prisoners and Colonists.
(The actual Roster is divided into different section, including the Brig, for the Prisoners)

- Active Space/Ground: You get to choose up to five people to place in each section. Depending on your preferred tactics, you may have up to three individuals from the same "Specialization". These are very useful to improve either a weakness or greatly improve a specific tactic you like employing.

- Duty Officers: You can recruit, dismiss, and send your Duty Officers on assignments. Duty Officers are more commonly known as doffs (in case you were wondering, their counterparts on the bridge with you are called Bridge Officers, also known as boffs).

The doffs have different "Specializations" and "Traits", which allows them perform better on their assignments, or add to the failing ratio. Furthermore, they get to bring back either items, prisoners, EC, Dilitium and more. On Critical Successes, those spoils of war are increased.

- Prisoners: They are captured in various ways, including raids on vessels or bought from slavers (both on doff assignments). They can then be sold, transferred to security for pay, utilized on experiments (doff assignment) etc.

- Colonists: They can either be sold to slavers or resettled.

- Assignments: These allow you to get items, prisoners, EC, Dilitium and more. This includes experience in a specific field or fields (as seen in the "Overview" tab). These fields allow you to gain a few things, such as passive skills, or the ability to freely get and then purchase new doffs of higher quality, or hold a specific title. Nothing too fancy, but definitely worth it nonetheless.

- R&D: Research & Development. You basically research weapons and pretty much anything else that you'll need. Of course, it is highly suggested you do the following:

First, get material by either obtaining it via ground/space missions, and play queued events. As such, you can obtain the materials needed. If all else fails, some players will be glad to sell some material.

Secondly, you'll want to make sure you "Research Projects". This option is the last option in every category.

Thirdly, make sure you obtain at least three "Research Lab Scientists", as they are the only people who can research the items you covet. Ideally, you want five of them, and ideally you'll want to get the best of the best.

Finally, raise three schools to level 5, and make sure you have one school at level 15. If you do this, you can R&D five items at a time!

Your Fleet
In case you were wondering, yours is probably greyed out, unless you already created/joined a Fleet. You get to participate in the creation of a bunch of structures that will allow your Fleet to produce weapons and the likes for your Fleet. Usually, they are stronger than the average weapons (and the likes) that you could buy otherwise.

Each Fleet Mark spent, or any item for that matter, that you give to the Fleet Projects will earn you Fleet Credits. These will enable you to do two things: Usually Fleets have a minimum amount of Fleet Credits needed to be spent, on your behalf, before allowing you access to the Fleet Stores; the Fleet Credits also allows you to buy specific items/weapons etc. that otherwise you could not buy. Once you get there, it'll become obvious, so don't worry.

Many fleets have forums, and even some form of audio communication (such as TeamSpeak).

Also, some Fleets actually have custom uniforms you can wear. Once you join a Fleet, there will be a new unlocked costume slot at the tailor. However, you can create any costume you want, as the slot is not specifically reserved for that purpose.

What about the small arrow, bottom right?
Well, let's look at the only two you might not be familiar with:

- PvP Queues: As opposed to the normal queues, pits you against random people. Player(s) vs player(s). Not very exciting in my opinion, as you'll risk getting paired with much more/less experienced players. There is nothing more boring than that.

- Notification Settings: Finally! The one thing you'll thank me for more than anything. You know those annoying fly-in messages and the like? Remove them here!

In the Chat section, you'll want to un-check:
- Gameplay Announcements
- And anything else you find annoying

In the Fly-in section, you'll want to un-check:
- Gameplay Announcements
- Squadron Looting
- Help popups
Post edited by malazancommander on

Comments

• Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Should you ask any questions here, it may take me a while. So if you're a beginner and you don't hear from me, inbox me ingame (no pm's).

>>> NEED MORE HELP? IF SO, VIEW MY MASTER GUIDE RIGHT HERE <<<

This Guide was predominantly made for new players.

This is pretty much everything you need to know about the chat and the main menu.
    For more information about the Space screen, check out my other Guide/FAQ.

LOCAL, ZONE, FLEET, TEAM, SERVICE AND TRADE?
    You should see the word "Zone" in your chat. Click on it to change chat rooms.
    To change chat options, click on the "Escape" key on your keyboard, and then choose "Chat Settings". The options there are fairly simple, nothing complicated. At the top, there is a tab that allows you to join/leave/create channels.

Another way to access is right-clicking on a Chat-Tab.

What is the difference between Local and Zone chats?
    There is some debate about what Local and Zone means. I've come to realize that Local simply means the room you are in. As for Zone, it would mean the current Zone you are in, cross-instances. If you are in the Earth Academy, this would mean everyone in the Earth Academy could see what you type – granted those in any instance globally. I have personally spoken to people who were on different instances as me and came to my instance to physically be there with me.

If you have any doubt, go to space in either the Earth Space Dock, New Romulus or Qo'Nos. Wait a while, and finally energize onto the planet. See all that text popping up? It wasn't there before! Because you were in a different Zone!

However, there is an exception to this rule; if you are in a queued event, ONLY the people in that queued event with you will see what you type. Any chat from the exterior will not be seen by you either.

What is the Fleet chat?
    As for the Fleet chat, this is basically the chat you use with your fleet. No one can see what you type there, except them.

Your team chat is very similar. This usually includes people in your team in a queued event, and people who joined your team because you invited them to be on your team and vice versa.

What is the Service and Trade chat?
    As for the Service and Trade chat, this is where people want to buy, sell or trade items. If for some reason you're not subscribed to it, join it. It is fairly safe, as you get to go to a player and choose a specific option called "Trade". Afterwards, you simply place in your item(s)/EC in the tray and you get to click on a specific button to lock in the trade. Of course, wait for the other person to place his/her item(s)/EC.

Within this same chat, you will see this jargon: WTS / WTB / WTT.
    They stand for: Want to Sale / Want to Buy / Want to Trade

What's that? More info?
    Do you know what's great?

- Press the "escape" button on your keyboard
    - Choose "Chat Settings"
    - Here you can join/create chat rooms. Or simply search for one. This section is fairly easy to understand. On top of things, you can change the colours of the text. What is great, is that whatever you remove will be reflected instantaneously. What's even better, is that if you remove and then re-add a chat, the text that was there will not be gone forever. It'll still be there, so you can test out whatever you want, without fear of the former text in the chatbox disappearing if you decide to re-add it ten seconds later.

WHAT SHOULD I KNOW ABOUT THE MAIN MENU?
    Let's go step by step. Left, right and then middle. The ones on the left and right are pretty much self-explanatory:

There is only one that might need some explanation. The "Social" icon has several options that need some tuning:

- "Team Settings" Basically, these are the options that are automatically used upon creating a team. Creating a team is simply done by inviting up to five players in your team. A team can do missions together, fight other players (usually in a queued event), as well as fight in the Dyson Sphere and loads of other places.

I suggest you choose these options on the right hand side: "Open Team", "Free for all" "Rare". Why choose those? This makes it easier when you create your team, and setting the loot to "Rare" is worth it – since most items you find are "common", you'll want to set this at "Rare". "Uncommon" is also acceptable, depending on your level.

- "Search" This option contains all the current players in the same Zone as you.

And the server-wide search for active (and unhidden) players.

What about the one in the middle?
    Again, most of them are self-explanatory, but I will explain those you may have questions about.

Duty Officers

- Roster: This includes your Duty Officers, Prisoners and Colonists.
    (The actual Roster is divided into different section, including the Brig, for the Prisoners)

- Active Space/Ground: You get to choose up to five people to place in each section. Depending on your preferred tactics, you may have up to three individuals from the same "Specialization". These are very useful to improve either a weakness or greatly improve a specific tactic you like employing.

- Duty Officers: You can recruit, dismiss, and send your Duty Officers on assignments. Duty Officers are more commonly known as doffs (in case you were wondering, their counterparts on the bridge with you are called Bridge Officers, also known as boffs).

The doffs have different "Specializations" and "Traits", which allows them perform better on their assignments, or add to the failing ratio. Furthermore, they get to bring back either items, prisoners, EC, Dilitium and more. On Critical Successes, those spoils of war are increased.

- Prisoners: They are captured in various ways, including raids on vessels or bought from slavers (both on doff assignments). They can then be sold, transferred to security for pay, utilized on experiments (doff assignment) etc.

- Colonists: They can either be sold to slavers or resettled.

- Assignments: These allow you to get items, prisoners, EC, Dilitium and more. This includes experience in a specific field or fields (as seen in the "Overview" tab). These fields allow you to gain a few things, such as passive skills, or the ability to freely get and then purchase new doffs of higher quality, or hold a specific title. Nothing too fancy, but definitely worth it nonetheless.

- R&D: Research & Development. You basically research weapons and pretty much anything else that you'll need. Of course, it is highly suggested you do the following:

This sounds a bit too "you have to do crafting or you will be left behind", which is a bit wrong, since Reputation and fleet gear are on the same level or, depending on the specific gear, even better than crafting gear.

First, get material by either obtaining it via ground/space missions, and play queued events. As such, you can obtain the materials needed. If all else fails, some players will be glad to sell some material.

Secondly, you'll want to make sure you "Research Projects". This option is the last option in every category.

Thirdly, make sure you obtain at least three "Research Lab Scientists", as they are the only people who can research the items you covet. Ideally, you want five of them, and ideally you'll want to get the best of the best.
    Be careful: Those are only usable for the Research XP-Projects, NOT for the actual gear (there you need many different Doffs depending on what you want to craft).

Finally, raise three schools to level 5, and make sure you have one school at level 15. If you do this, you can R&D five items at a time!

Your Fleet
    In case you were wondering, yours is probably greyed out, unless you already created/joined a Fleet. You get to participate in the creation of a bunch of structures that will allow your Fleet to produce weapons and the likes for your Fleet. Usually, they are stronger than the average weapons (and the likes) that you could buy otherwise.

Each Fleet Mark spent, or any item for that matter, that you give to the Fleet Projects will earn you Fleet Credits. These will enable you to do two things: Usually Fleets have a minimum amount of Fleet Credits needed to be spent, on your behalf, before allowing you access to the Fleet Stores; the Fleet Credits also allows you to buy specific items/weapons etc. that otherwise you could not buy. Once you get there, it'll become obvious, so don't worry.

Be careful here: The Provisions for Mine, Spire and Embassy are a great exeption, as it will only cost you FC. Many new players dont realize that and fall into the trap.

Many fleets have forums, and even some form of audio communication (such as TeamSpeak).

Also, some Fleets actually have custom uniforms you can wear. Once you join a Fleet, there will be a new unlocked costume slot at the tailor. However, you can create any costume you want, as the slot is not specifically reserved for that purpose.

What about the small arrow, bottom right?
    Well, let's look at the only two you might not be familiar with:

- PvP Queues: As opposed to the normal queues, pits you against random people. Player(s) vs player(s). Not very exciting in my opinion, as you'll risk getting paired with much more/less experienced players. There is nothing more boring than that.

- Notification Settings: Finally! The one thing you'll thank me for more than anything. You know those annoying fly-in messages and the like? Remove them here!

In the Chat section, you'll want to un-check:
    - Gameplay Announcements

In the Fly-in section, you'll want to un-check:
    - Gameplay Announcements
    - Squadron Looting
    - Help popups

I added some things you should clarify. Aside from those things the guide is ok.