test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Literary Challenge #67 - Delta Rising - Discussion Thread

pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Ten Forward
Literary Challenge #67 - Delta Rising - Discussion Thread

This is the discussion thread for Literary Challenge #67.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. Please be respectful of your fellow participants! Do not troll your fellow Captains, give them constructive feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked about their stories, and respect their rights to change their entries as they see fit.

Good luck Captains!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,382 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You need to talk to your superiors about this sort of thing, Smirk. I understand they're eager to push the new expansion, and I empathize and support the concept - but how in Gre'thor are we supposed to be able to write a story about our journey to the Delta Quadrant, when we have no idea what officially awaits us there? Or even how exactly we're making the trip?

I think I can do something with the second prompt, but not the first one. Insufficient data for a meaningful conclusion, ya know?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    You need to talk to your superiors about this sort of thing, Smirk. I understand they're eager to push the new expansion, and I empathize and support the concept - but how in Gre'thor are we supposed to be able to write a story about our journey to the Delta Quadrant, when we have no idea what officially awaits us there? Or even how exactly we're making the trip?

I think I can do something with the second prompt, but not the first one. Insufficient data for a meaningful conclusion, ya know?

Agreed. Though I don't have much for the second one, either.

Well, I'll see if I can come up with anything - and I'll definitely read what other people come up with. :D
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    This is your chance to write your version of what you expect to find in Delta Quadrant. Be creative. Show us what you think of our upcoming expansion and the familiar aliens and locations we all saw in Voyager.

I wanna see how close some of you might get. Some users have shown us that they can get pretty close to what we have in store for them, but we would also love to read some totally off the wall predictions on what we can expect in the Delta Quadrant.

Will your crew find that Neelix has become the new Borg Queen and taken over the quadrant? Or has Seska changed her ways and become mother of the year? What about Kes? Heck, what about Janeway and Paris' salamander babies?? Inquiring minds want to know!

I'm sure you can think up something good Jonsills, and you have a month left to mull it over :)

But by all means, if prompt #1 doesn't tickle your fancy, then show us what you've got for prompt #2.

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Free sub-prompt for you all: People start finding out from local species the TRIBBLE that Janeway got up to and she gets removed from duty and court-martialed.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Free sub-prompt for you all: People start finding out from local species the TRIBBLE that Janeway got up to and she gets removed from duty and court-martialed.

That's the spirit!

Never Give Up.

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    dack2rathdack2rath Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hey Hi I'm Dack

I have the first chapter ready for posting. however I would not like to pose it here. Dack@dack2rath ingame. the book is called

Back To The Delta.

it is already 5990 words
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hmm...I'd have to know where the shared-universe authors are going to place the events of #2 to know if that's feasible for me. Alyosha getting targeted is very plausible and he has a very unpleasant relationship with Section 31--but if it isn't a timeline fit, no can do.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,761 Arc User
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That's the spirit!

Never Give Up.

~CaptainSmirk

Never Give Up, Never Surrender
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    That's the spirit!

Never Give Up.

~CaptainSmirk

Thing is, I'm probably not going to take part in this one because I'm already using that idea for a Foundry mission I'm developing. None of my characters really fit the DQ prompt anyway: Eleya is currently assigned to the defense fleet around DS9 because a lot of the upper brass and civilian commanders are pissed at her (see The Wrong Reflection chapter one for an overview), and Morgan doesn't consider foreign adventurism to be a good use of the Romulan Republic's limited resources.

Actually, on second thought, Brokosh might be a good choice here.

BTW, re: your previous post? Seska's a little too, well, dead to be mother of the year. :D
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I got hooked on neopets/currently hooked on neopets/writing another story. Now I have to figure out how I'm going to go about these three stories, and it seems #3 has gone beyond rewriting an episode, which makes it so much easier really to write up.

I would have joined the last one, but since Gregs species was (essentially) killed off in Parrallel timeline-self genocide, I figured he would kill Drake and/or Daniels rather than kill another s[ecies. Of course Drake wouldn't survive the experience, but I would've written Daniels off as from a semi-evil timeline that wanted the Xindi-Avians dead... meh.

Yaya I'm back and slightly more crazy! 0.000067% so.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    hawku001x wrote: »

You have won the Forums today!

I fracking love Ralph
  • Options
    edited August 2014

OMG spoilers

J/K
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That's the spirit!

Never Give Up.

~CaptainSmirk

Challenge accepted. D'trel meets a species who have legends of the monster Janeway who bragged about how she helped the Hated Ones (Borg) by bio-bombing the Valiant Others (Undine), and takes a recording.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    D'Trel deserves a good day once in a while. That was fun to read, especially the part where the Kazon threaten her and she goes, "Uh, yeah, about that. *curb-stomp*"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited August 2014
    D'Trel deserves a good day once in a while. That was fun to read, especially the part where the Kazon threaten her and she goes, "Uh, yeah, about that. *curb-stomp*"

Glad you liked it! :D

The Kazon are such incompetent villains, I just HAD to make fun of their stupidity.

And I'm not a fan of sexism, especially the "all wimmin r slaves, durr hur hur" variety that the Kazon practice. Something like Klingon culture I can understand, especially since it's shown that it's more a separate spheres of influence thing with Klingons (you want to marry into a Klingon house, and the House leader's wife doesn't like you? You're screwed), but the Kazon just tick me off.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Dagnabit, I'm closing in on LC66 still :P. This one is interesting though :)
  • Options
    dack2rathdack2rath Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Where do we submit the story
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    dack2rath wrote: »
    Where do we submit the story

Make a post in the other thread. There is a link in Smirk's OP.

EDIT: here.
  • Options
    takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Dagnabit, I'm closing in on LC66 still :P. This one is interesting though :)

Speaking of LC 66, just got my own entry up for 66.2.

Feedback would be most appreciated. :D
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    There seems to be a pattern here. We all seem to want to bake Kazon.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but with the Great Delta Turkey Shoot going on, I'm leaning towards that.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but with the Great Delta Turkey Shoot going on, I'm leaning towards that.

Come, Klingon brother. Shoot some Kazon. It's easy and fun.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    @worffan101 - Very tame compared to your other entries :P, Janeway bashing aside.

@captaintpol - I really liked how each of the Captains interrupted their logs. Brought serendipity to their situation.

@spaldyn283 - Ah, Drake. What more can be said of le'douche. I appreciated the brevity of this piece with the question at the end :)

@feiqa - I agree that the Kazon will be the whipping boy of the Expansion :D

@cptgold172 - I like the discussion of the James' promotion to FA - it was a sideways glance at what's going to happen in-game.
  • Options
    masopwmasopw Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    *snip*

Heck, what about Janeway and Paris' salamander babies?? Inquiring minds want to know!

~CaptainSmirk[/COLOR]

A reference to "Threshold"? An acknowledgement that it exists? :(

Ack...I'm gonna have to leave this thread for a few months because of this...;)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Heck, what about Janeway and Paris' salamander babies?? Inquiring minds want to know!
    ~CaptainSmirk

done!

/10c
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    done!

/10c

YES!!! YES!!!!!! YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all. :cool:
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    done!

/10c

Makes a lot more sense than the episode, and funny to boot!
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    done!

/10c

That was a terrible, incoherent mess of fan fiction I have ever seen.

And yet it's STILL better than anything the writers did in Voyager over seven seasons.

:D
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    @moonshadowdark lol

@antonine3258 thanks!

@worffan101 read yours too; time for janeway's court marshal! (i imagine it would be like the Seinfeld finale)

BG info for my entry can be found here: Delta Rising on STEU