test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

An end to Mark Hoarding?

bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Reputation System
Just looking at the Release Notes for 14th August ...

• All Mark rewardpacks now unpack upon pick up.
  • These can no longer be stacked in the player’s inventory.
  • Currently, this does not apply Mark Boxes which allow a choice of Marks upon opening the box.

So does this mean we can't "save" our Mark boxes in anticipation of a Bonus weekend any more?
Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    bendalek wrote: »

• Currently, this does not apply Mark Boxes which allow a choice of Marks upon opening the box.

So does this mean we can't "save" our Mark boxes in anticipation of a Bonus weekend any more?

Lol guess not.

What bugs me is that this change is kinda...well, petty. I am REALLY trying to see where we have been given something (outside of lame ships and costumes no one is buying) and I come up with nothing. But Things that have been taken away and/or nerfed? Plenty. :mad:
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's the PWE way ... They make things ... inconvenient ... to do the long way. As in the Rep Grinds, that take days/weeks to grind normally, but if you save up the packs? You can get 50% more marks ... Too 'convenient'

Make it just annoying enough, and you'll spend real cash to speed things up. That's the principal behind all of it ...

It's not a Pay 2 Win or Pay to Play scenario, as you can play and 'win' without spending a single dollar ... It's the "PFC" game mechanic ... Pay For Convenience ...
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's the PWE way ... They make things ... inconvenient ... to do the long way. As in the Rep Grinds, that take days/weeks to grind normally, but if you save up the packs? You can get 50% more marks ... Too 'convenient'

Make it just annoying enough, and you'll spend real cash to speed things up. That's the principal behind all of it ...

It's not a Pay 2 Win or Pay to Play scenario, as you can play and 'win' without spending a single dollar ... It's the "PFC" game mechanic ... Pay For Convenience ...

Except that you can't pay your way to more reputation marks, at least not yet.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • abcde123123abcde123123 Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    why is that in any patch 1 good thing had to be balanced out by at least 3 bad things? that's not mentioning the doff ui *improvement*...

What was wrong with marks hoarding I don't really understand. Especially now that we only have marks weekend once every two months, and if you miss one due to rl circumstances then it's every 4 months waiting. For something that usually happened every 3 hours.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    why is that in any patch 1 good thing had to be balanced out by at least 3 bad things? that's not mentioning the doff ui *improvement*...

What was wrong with marks hoarding I don't really understand. Especially now that we only have marks weekend once every two months, and if you miss one due to rl circumstances then it's every 4 months waiting. For something that usually happened every 3 hours.
    It was something ppl where "enjoying".
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Whats the benifit of storing marks anyway? Maxing the reps really doesn't take long anyway and the equipment is no big issue. I have the full counter command set, maco set, advanced maco set, doesn't take much effort. Also it's not as if marks can be converted for use on a different rep and they can't be traded or sold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The funny thing is that many of us don't think of this as a nerf at all, but as a huge quality of life improvement.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    anodynes wrote: »
    Except that you can't pay your way to more reputation marks, at least not yet.
    True, but you can buy Lockboxes that have Bonus Rep Mark Tokens. And of course there is that "yet".

Let's see if X2 doesn't bring in a Rep Boost Token to the C-Store, after all, the Rep stuff will also be obsolete with X2, so does that mean that all reps will get a new T6 level?

If that happens, they'll have to assuage all the screaming, whining, moaning, and crying about how "butz, uv all wedy maxed ma Repz" on the forums, so they introduce this new Token you can buy ... Nah, Cryptic would never do something like that!
    darkjeff wrote: »
    The funny thing is that many of us don't think of this as a nerf at all, but as a huge quality of life improvement.
    I totally agree! Spend half an hour in the Dyson BZ, and your inventory fills with the darn things, then you have to spend ten minutes double clicking them all ... I love the idea, but I know there will be complaints ... Probably from "taggers" and 'campers"
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This change doesn't prevent all Mark hoarding. The boxes that give a choice about which Mark is rewarded are not affected by this change. Personally, I can see why this change was made with your inventory full of Mark boxes doing the Battlezones.
  • ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited August 2014

And if you annoy me enough times I'll just wash my hands of it and leave the game. The official FTP launch (S6?) really irked me and it wasn't 'til the following featured series came out that I decided to play again. It wasn't much of a haitus - only three months - but after close to four years of playing the same-ol' same-ol' grinding content the game is getting a little long in tooth for me and it wouldn't take much to push the next haitus to permanency.

I wasn't a mark box hoarder 'til I started saving my crafting boxes (hey, why not? - the boxes are rewarded at the same time so why not put 'em in the same place 'til they're most useful?), so this isn't really an annoyance to me, but I do see some things in the pipe that'll could put me there (<shiver>ARC</shiver>).

I'm a lifer with a stipend and I can tell you that there has been nothing that Cryptic has done in the last 3 years that I'd be willing to spend extra cash on. Sure I've enjoyed things in game, but everytime I used to think about supporting Cryptic with a little extra cash they pulled yet another bone headed move (the latest being the DOff UI) that I just couldn't support in good conscience. I've even given up of entertaining the notion of supporting Cryptic with cash any longer. I'm more of a Pay-for-Content type of guy than Pay-for-Convencience. So in principal if Cryptic wanted to target my cash...
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah this is mostly good for saving me the tedium of having my inventory filled up in a battlezone.

But than again, I never got why the boxes were even necessary with events that give only 1 type of rewards. Just reward the marks to begin with!
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    vermatrix wrote: »
    Whats the benifit of storing marks anyway? Maxing the reps really doesn't take long anyway and the equipment is no big issue. I have the full counter command set, maco set, advanced maco set, doesn't take much effort. Also it's not as if marks can be converted for use on a different rep and they can't be traded or sold.

Marks can be converted for dilithium.

I won't insult you by trying to draw out how Mark hoarding helps towards that goal.
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited August 2014

I won't insult you by trying to draw out how Mark hoarding helps towards that goal.

Dilithium ore, meh... Three characters that I play for about 3 hours a day total and I've never had an issue getting 9k ore each in that play time when combined with some extra during the weekend (without converting marks even).

But fleet marks!!! (not convertable to ore) Two of those characters are soloing their own shared, year-old starbase. That was the reason I figured I'd start storing those mark boxes along with the crafting boxes. Anything and everything to cut down *that* grind!

Yeah, yeah I knew what I was getting into and I don't expect any pity. Saving boxes wasn't a short cut that I was planning on doing either 'til the crafting boxes and the crafting event came in to being.
  • vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I know 50 marks can be used to get 500 dilithium but still not seeing the big deal, 500 is nothing. Can earn more than that from foundry missions and the mine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    vermatrix wrote: »
    I know 50 marks can be used to get 500 dilithium but still not seeing the big deal, 500 is nothing. Can earn more than that from foundry missions and the mine.

Money is money, and money's not funny...
    XzRTofz.gif
  • abcde123123abcde123123 Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    hmmm Im kinda curious why one of my posts were deleted from this tread? It was perfectly legit, and I didn't swear or whine... how the post is gone, and reply to that post is gone too...
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Yeah this is mostly good for saving me the tedium of having my inventory filled up in a battlezone.

But than again, I never got why the boxes were even necessary with events that give only 1 type of rewards. Just reward the marks to begin with!
    I guess it was something they "needed" to do to implement the daily bonus marks system, and it took them a while to get the "auto-unpack" feature in.

Other than the mark events, there was really no value to giving us this stuff in boxes that clutter the inventory. And it seems to defeat the purpose of the mark event a bit if people don't log in to play the game with others, but instead just to open all those mark boxes.

The events exist to get people to play the game, and ideally engage in activities together with other players (The F2P/MMO principle: Players are content). But the mark box rewards can easily exceed the activity rewards, so it risks being very counter-productive for the actual goal.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I still think the weekend events are a terrible idea and won't change my mind. No one would have hoarded marks boxes if they could go every 3 hours and get a marks bonus. I didn't hoard them myself but I can see why people would. I do maintenance on STO during the week, barely playing at all now. On weekend events that don't interest me, maintenance continued. If the intention was to get me to play 10 hours a day, it went south. I now play 10 hours a week if that.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014

Well lets put it this way, I spent the entire duration of the last dil event, turning marks and other related to materials into dil. On my main it netted me over 3mil in ore and across another 6 toons they got on average 300k so work that out in zen, then you'll get an idea of how much cryptic would be losing in zen sales. Then is dawns on people why they would revert to the old way of doing it and why they adjusted the rewards for Borg STF's in the first place
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sqwished wrote: »
    Well lets put it this way, I spent the entire duration of the last dil event, turning marks and other related to materials into dil. On my main it netted me over 3mil in ore and across another 6 toons they got on average 300k so work that out in zen, then you'll get an idea of how much cryptic would be losing in zen sales. Then is dawns on people why they would revert to the old way of doing it and why they adjusted the rewards for Borg STF's in the first place

Must I take from this that you normally buy Zen to purchase Dilithium? Because that is the only scenario here where Cryptic would lose Zen sales. If you actually sell Dilithium for Zen, or don't use the Exchange, then you having more Dilithium will not negatively impact Zen sales.
    battykoda0 wrote:
    I still think the weekend events are a terrible idea and won't change my mind. No one would have hoarded marks boxes if they could go every 3 hours and get a marks bonus. I didn't hoard them myself but I can see why people would. I do maintenance on STO during the week, barely playing at all now. On weekend events that don't interest me, maintenance continued. If the intention was to get me to play 10 hours a day, it went south. I now play 10 hours a week if that.
    Would you really miss out on the chance to turn one fo those daily 55 mark boxes into 83 Mark boxes with hourly events?

It seems it would make hoarding even more attractive, since you only need to hoard the winnings of a day - much faster turn-around, no problem with a full inventory.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited August 2014

So, now which boxes are they referring to about this?

Because the only boxes, I myself not seeing auto opening, are lock boxes/gear boxes/traits/etc., and crafting material boxes.

Otherwise, any box that contains any form of marks, auto opens!

So, again which mark boxes are they referring to?

:confused:
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Because the only boxes, I myself not seeing auto opening, are lock boxes/gear boxes/traits/etc., and crafting material boxes.

Obviously those you get from winter eppohs, monkeys, birds, mirror event and crystall event. Those have one box with multiple choice. All pve-stuff is mutliple choice for a box.
    edited August 2014

Which current mission rewards them I'm unsure of as I'm pretty much stuck grinding fleet marks. The last box that I can remember that was a multple choice after opening instead of a the multiple choice prior to opening was the CC event.
    edited August 2014
    fftt wrote: »
    Which current mission rewards them I'm unsure of as I'm pretty much stuck grinding fleet marks. The last box that I can remember that was a multple choice after opening instead of a the multiple choice prior to opening was the CC event.

That's just it, even when I do the CE event, it offers either nukara marks, or fleet marks, and which ever I choose, still opens automatically.

• rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The CC event gives shards. You run the special event project to turn in X of them and after that you can run one smaller mission daily.

It is these projects which reward a multiple choice mark box. NOT the CCE mission itself.
    edited August 2014
    The CC event gives shards. You run the special event project to turn in X of them and after that you can run one smaller mission daily.

It is these projects which reward a multiple choice mark box. NOT the CCE mission itself.

Yes, but they keep removing it, keeping it as a special event like others.

If it was a true regular mission, it would obviously be changed to marks only rewarded, which would most likely automatically open them.

edited August 2014
    Yes, but they keep removing it, keeping it as a special event like others.

If it was a true regular mission, it would obviously be changed to marks only rewarded, which would most likely automatically open them.

You asked which boxes were being referred to and got a reply. Now that the CC event is running again we will find out if Cryptic is going to automatically open the event box or not. And just to be clear, I'm talking about the event box that you get by turning in shards (all marks available, not just Nukara or Fleet) and *not* the box that comes after just destroying the CE.
    edited August 2014
    fftt wrote: »
    You asked which boxes were being referred to and got a reply. Now that the CC event is running again we will find out if Cryptic is going to automatically open the event box or not. And just to be clear, I'm talking about the event box that you get by turning in shards (all marks available, not just Nukara or Fleet) and *not* the box that comes after just destroying the CE.

Shhhhh, don't go giving them ideas now, because they will change it!

They will undoubtedly make it, to once you pick the marks reward you want, it will automatically unpack that too!