test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Defiance has gone F2P.

centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Ten Forward
Seems even Buy to Play games are having a hard time.

Course, Defiance wasn't that good in the first place....
Post edited by centersolace on

Comments

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    All sub games will go F2P eventually. It's only a matter of time.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    This game went F2P a few months ago. It's quite a decent shooter.
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited August 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    All sub games will go F2P eventually. It's only a matter of time.

Does that include WoW? I got this starter account dude itching for a dragon.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, it's been F2P for a bit now.

I'll just say this. If you think that the STO devs are bad, Trion takes the cake. And then smashes it straight in your face. The creative lead dev there, Trick Dempsey, is so badly out of touch with how his game works that it's outright scary. I'm not sure he even knows if he's supposed to be a video game developer.

I started playing when the game went F2P but quickly left after a few weeks after seeing how that guy operates. I was going to give it another shot since the Silicon Valley expansion just went live, but it looks like they nerfed all the mission rewards into the ground and stopped us from being able to upgrade weapon rarities anymore.

I will say though that I found the initial story line to be quite enjoyable and fun. I would recommend treating it like a single player game and just go for the main story line. Once that's done, get out. You will be spared the insanity that is Trick Dempsey that way.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Personally, I prefer Wildstar over Defiance, but I doubt that game will ever go F2P due to CREDDs. CREDDs can be used to gain a month of gameplay and are purchased by other players with $ to trade for ingame currency.

Although Defiance has an interesting idea for MMOs by linking up events in the TV show with the MMO and events in the MMO with the TV show.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    lystent wrote: »
    Does that include WoW? I got this starter account dude itching for a dragon.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/06/world-of-********-now-has-6-8-million-subscribers-half-compared-to-2010/
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I played the open Beta on Defiance and enjoyed it, but not enough to buy it. Now that it's been F2P for a while I still haven't gone back to it, even though I unlocked a lot of gear in the Beta. It's a fun shooter with some massive fights, but the rest is lacking.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited August 2014

EDIT: something about that linking system doesn't want to work. If anyone has the same issue, try to google "World of ******** subscriptions have nearly halved since 2010"
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The page is still there, but the forums are censoring the war-craft part of the url for some reason. Open up the page and fix the url and the article is there.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited August 2014
    That would explain it. :rolleyes: Thanks! :)
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Somehow I doubt EVE Online will ever go F2P. Ever.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Why do they insist on censoring other game names? That just seems rather childish.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Defiance is still the best science fiction show on television.

Mostly because everyone keeps cancelling the others. :mad:
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yes, old news, but Defiance is the only other mmo that I'm playing at the moment besides STO.

There are a number of game play elements that I like about Defiance that I wish we could see in STO ... like the ability to spontaneously jump into a mission that another player in currently playing and help them out without needing to join a team and without it negatively impacting the mission rewards/drops that the other player gets.

I think it's annoying that newbies have to struggle alone in a mission while leveling up or run around trying to find someone to team up with and help them. It would be so much more convenient for new players if other players can just jump in at any time and help without having to go through the process of teaming up.

I'm probably not explaining it very well, but if you play Defiance for a couple of days you'll see what I'm talking about.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.