Options

Guess im to old to understand:(

13»

Comments

• Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    This game hasn't been "stripped" of anything I like, and so far I still count as "people" (even though I'm not a corporation).

To be fair, you count as a person. The people I was citing where the other group of persons who created posts criticizing things that happened in Seasons 9 and 9.5.

Do you call shenanigans on that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    mhall85 wrote: »
    "Marginalized" means pushed aside, reduced, even forgotten about... at best, you're jumping the gun on all of that.

My commentary focuses on the reduced part of the definition. Because the way the tier system works and the way numbers work, there's just no getting around the fact that there will be a reduction when compared to T6. Otherwise, they'd not call it T6. If you thought I meant pushed aside, I apologize. I'm trying to strictly focus on what we do know and what we've seen in the past with how the tier system works. When they say "stay competitive" ... the example I fall back on is T5 versus Fleet Ships of the same class. Which in a numbers sense demonstrates that T5 is reduced or marginalized. That's all I'm really talking about.

The way the community at large deals with that reduction, usually resorts to hyperbole. Which is where ...
    There will be better ships out, of course... but, surely, you're not saying that a T5.5 ship with Mk XVI gear will be garbage?

This comes in.

As a player I'd flown a marginalized ship for ages. On one character I stuck with my Rear Admiral granted Assault Cruiser for ages (I mean, on this character, it had been his ship since about 40 days post launch alllllll the way to early 2014). It was still competitive. But the Excelsior marginalized it the day that debuted in the C-Store.

And eventually the Reagent appeared.

And the Fleet Assault Cruiser.

I have been flying a Fleet Assault Cruiser on that character for the better part of 2014. So I "upgraded."

Thing is, I never called my plain vanilla AC garbage.

The Forums did.

Other players did.

People quoting DPS parses did.

And so I don't know. I'm relying on my past experiences with their tier system. And with the community.

For better or worse, if T6 has a numerical/statistical advantage, it will be seen as the top. Cream of the crop. And people will call the "still competitive" ships garbage.

I've lived that already. I'm not crazy for thinking this.

The only way that doesn't happen is if T6 is congruent with T5.5. But that would destroy the concept of T6.

So I don't see a way around this.
    I have my own rule of thumb NOT to believe something until I see the official announcement.

Heh. I remember official announcements that this game was not going F2P. Sorry, tangent. But memory lane is sometimes fun.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Trust me, you're not too old. In fact, if you are wondering where the hate comes from, I think it comes from people, often but not always young, who are entirely focused on instant gratification, or who -get- something out of the act of hating.

When you get older, you realize that hating only hurts you. If I don't like playing a game, I can always do something else.

The only problems I see with STO and other MMOS is if the grinding becomes too extreme simply to coerce you into paying cash. When each game I play gets that far, I move on.

My first computer game was before PC's existed, and there are people around here older than me.

You are never too old to have fun, and never too old to imagine. In fact, I think that keeps me young-ish.
    jtmarsh wrote: »
    I'm 37 and when STO came out I was all but retired from computer games. Was left playing 80's and 90's style games on my iphones and kids DS. After all I played Elite Force 2 PVP to death!! In fact that was my last PC game!

Then came STO!! A Trek MMO?? First I knew what a MMO was but I never played one. You want to know how lame I was?? 1 month after it came out I jumped on to the forums and saw one of you all talking about end game. I was like wha!?!? I just started playing and the game is ending?? I thought these games lasted a long time! Then someone online after laughing and then laughing then most of zone laughing explained to me what it meant. I still don't know why it would be called end game and not continuing game but.. oh well:)

So I learned about MMO as I went. I love this game and its still the only one I play. My son is now playing it. I have had my issues. I don't like DEV saying this will be done and then it does not. Bad way to run a business. Also was real mad with F2P, vet rewards ending and the simple fact of throwing payers and lifers under the bus. So much so I let my sub run out just over 1100 days and went free to play. So Cryptic has had its problems.

That being said this new Delta move is the best thing Cryptic has done in years!! New content, new ships, new lvl increase. But But I have spent money on stuff??? So what so did I! Galaxy X and Oddy 3 pack. But ill dock them in a minute for the new stuff. Just like I docked my T1-T4 ships. Its called game progression. Its a reward crackheads!! But my fleet stuff I paid money to get!! Well that was your choice. I paid not a dime on fleet stuff. I mined!! If you choose to take a shortcut and spend money on keys and fleet stuff that was your choice.

A game is meant to go forward. Not stay back because you spent cash on your favorite ship. Cryptic is being nice. I would not of gave you any chance to upgrade you lockbox ships or fleet ships. They should be treated just like T1 ships. Gone for better ships that you earn.

Guess i'm to old to understand the hate.

Oh! One more thing! What you call grind I call a fun game. You call stf's a grind?? I call HGE and the rest "like my call out name" FUN!
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm 37 and when STO came out I was all but retired from computer games. Was left playing 80's and 90's style games on my iphones and kids DS. After all I played Elite Force 2 PVP to death!! In fact that was my last PC game!

Then came STO!! A Trek MMO?? First I knew what a MMO was but I never played one. You want to know how lame I was?? 1 month after it came out I jumped on to the forums and saw one of you all talking about end game. I was like wha!?!? I just started playing and the game is ending?? I thought these games lasted a long time! Then someone online after laughing and then laughing then most of zone laughing explained to me what it meant. I still don't know why it would be called end game and not continuing game but.. oh well:)

So I learned about MMO as I went. I love this game and its still the only one I play. My son is now playing it. I have had my issues. I don't like DEV saying this will be done and then it does not. Bad way to run a business. Also was real mad with F2P, vet rewards ending and the simple fact of throwing payers and lifers under the bus. So much so I let my sub run out just over 1100 days and went free to play. So Cryptic has had its problems.

That being said this new Delta move is the best thing Cryptic has done in years!! New content, new ships, new lvl increase. But But I have spent money on stuff??? So what so did I! Galaxy X and Oddy 3 pack. But ill dock them in a minute for the new stuff. Just like I docked my T1-T4 ships. Its called game progression. Its a reward crackheads!! But my fleet stuff I paid money to get!! Well that was your choice. I paid not a dime on fleet stuff. I mined!! If you choose to take a shortcut and spend money on keys and fleet stuff that was your choice.

A game is meant to go forward. Not stay back because you spent cash on your favorite ship. Cryptic is being nice. I would not of gave you any chance to upgrade you lockbox ships or fleet ships. They should be treated just like T1 ships. Gone for better ships that you earn.

Oh! One more thing! What you call grind I call a fun game. You call stf's a grind?? I call HGE and the rest "like my call out name" FUN!

A big part of the problem is the lack of connection we feel with our characters and their ships.

Generally speaking, a Captain will command his vessel somewhere from 5 to 15 years. In some cases, said Captain started out as a lower ranking officer on the same vessel.

But not in STO. Here in STO, we compress our entire career into 2-3 weeks, wherein we go from being lowly cadets on a training cruise, to suddenly be given command of a small ship ferrying Undine infiltrators to P'jem. Within a month, we've been promoted to Admiral (among 5,000 other new Admirals) in a feat that I doubt even JJ-Kirk could manage to pull off.

The only chance we get to truly settle in with a ship, and call it our own, is at max level. These ships, are our connection to Trek. The non-uniform uniform policy, along with the Mad Max Thunderdome meets Halo take on ground combat and the fact that we are 40 years past the last incarnation of truly canon Trek, means the only real connection we can draw to the IP in this game, is through the ships.

If you take that last tendril of IP connection away, just to push some new ships that look nothing like Trek, and have no basis in canon, then one truly has to ask themselves "Is this game STAR TREK Online, or is it "Space Game Online?"

And if this game is just "Space Game Online" rather than STAR TREK, well, there are better space MMOs on the market already (EVE) and new ones in development that can provide a generic space game, done better. (Star Citizen)

That's why T6 ships, with no basis in canon, is a major issue.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    cincyman39cincyman39 Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Lol you made my day I thought I was the only one I joined this beloved game right after season two I was 45 yers old this was my first mmo game and might be my last. Anyways when season three was announced I thought you had to pay more money to get it boy did my fleet mates get a real chuckle out of that one when I talked about it lol.

The game has changed the past four years good and bad but I still log in and have fun. Yes the new crafting system really rubbed me wrong after having to start all over and I have fear's over this new skill level cap are they going to reset us all back to zero so the new people can compete??? As far as the t6 ships go I have no issue docking my t5 ships its all progression in any case I'll do what I have been doing the last four plus years log in and have fun and when the day comes that I dont have fun thats when I stop logging in.
  • Options
    gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Precisely because you're new to MMOs, you won't understand that MMO forums are usually a "bark worse than bite" type of thing.

e.g., WoW is the biggest, most successful MMO of all time.

You'd think its forums would be places full of happy happy joy joy, right?

No, theyre EXACTLY the same as the STO forums. All MMO forums are the same - a whole bunch of whining and ********, interspersed with occasionally fun and informative conversations.

So I wouldn't take it too seriously. It would take worse things than anything that's happened to the game so far, to REALLY get people to ditch STO.

It's an f2p game, it's always going to be here if you ever want a Star Trek flavour. The idea of threatening to "leave" STO is a bit silly really, that kind of rhetoric only means something in a subscription game.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    gurugeorge wrote: »
    Precisely because you're new to forums, you won't understand that forums are usually a "bark worse than bite" type of thing.

e.g., WoW is the biggest, most successful MMO of all time.

You'd think its forums would be places full of happy happy joy joy, right?

No, theyre EXACTLY the same as the STO forums. All forums are the same - a whole bunch of whining and ********, interspersed with occasionally fun and informative conversations.

So I wouldn't take it too seriously. It would take worse things than anything that's happened to the game so far, to REALLY get people to ditch STO.

It's an f2p game, it's always going to be here if you ever want a Star Trek flavour. The idea of threatening to "leave" STO is a bit silly really, that kind of rhetoric only means something in a subscription game.

Fixed it for you. :D

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.