test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

question about parsers.

f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
edited July 2014 in The Academy
Greetings friends,

Once again, I'm gonna come to you for the information. I've read quite a few threads, which detail combat logs, via a parser, yet, I am unsure as to where to grab the program, let alone, how to tie one in to the game.

As I understand it, they simply capture the combat text, and then give you a readout, based on a set amount of time or mission.

Which one should I use, and where do I go about getting one. Also, are they ok to use, as I sure don't want to get banned. Heck I've got 6 toons leveled to 50 so far, and almost have the rep maxed, so I really want to work on min/maxing, but not at the cost of getting my account locked.

Anyways, Any help is appreciated ahead of time , as always, I've always found you all to be a font of good information.

@F9thRet
My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Currently there are two programms ACT (Advanced combat log tracker) and CLR (Combatlogreader). Personally, CLR is much more userfriendly then ACT,while both are accurate.

You can download it from the german forum: http://sto-forum.de.perfectworld.eu/showthread.php?t=297731

Dont fret, its in english, and there is a video tutorial coming with it, so you dont need to know german to work with it. You also dont need to install it, as its a Java-File (of course you need to have java installed, which most internet users have).

You only have to give it the path to your combatlog, which is at *\Star Trek Online\Live\logs\GameClient.
    The combatlog starts to write when you type /combatlog 1 in your chat, and ends with /combatlog 0. It is recommendet to start it when starting a fight (stf,pvp or whatever) and end the writing when the fight is finished, so you dont get unusable data in hit (e.g. if someone jumps from a high point in esd and gets damaged from it, you will have it in you log and it might have wrong dps-numbers in it, as it counts the fall to the time and then the stf went a minute longer then it actually did. If someone uses a hypo in a social zone, its the same matter).
  • Options
    f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Many thanks woodwhity, exactly what I needed to know.
    My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    One thing to always keep in mind is that the parser will only tell you how much damage per second you can accumulate, but not how fast you can kill the enemy. In non-PVP content like STFs, and PVE, it is not just about damage over time, but also burst/spike damage.

It is possible to have lower DPS, and be able to clear a map quicker by using a build that combines both, DPS, and quick damage. Unless you just want to try to come in first place in missions that have a placement. Then the highest DPS is better.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!