test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Watch Mojo releases Top Ten MMO List

jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Ten Forward
As the title says, Watch Mojo has released their list of the best MMO's - and STO doesn't even get an honorable mention. I'm pretty amused that ********* placed and this game didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU5uL4hC6no
Post edited by jer5488 on

Comments

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I was really disappointed. I expected STO to at least get an honorable mention.

EDIT: Of course this is just their personal list and does not mean anything in regards to other sites.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm actually not surprised. If they did one on best F2P models though, I think STO would be up there.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    I'm actually not surprised. If they did one on best F2P models though, I think STO would be up there.

And pretty high too, IMO.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    #10 can kind of maybe see it on the list...
    #9 can see it...
    #8 meh...
    #7 er...
    #6 can see it...
    #5 grudgingly...
    #4 can see it...
    #3 lolno...
    #2 can see it...
    Honorable Mention #1 hrmm...
    Honorable Mention #2 lolno...
    Honorable Mention #3 should have been on the list...
    Honorable Mention #4 can see it...
    #1 was obviously going to be on the list...

Yeah, that's definitely not the list I would have gone with...

For the three I would have pulled, they would have been replaced by UO, CoH, and TSW.

Honestly, I probably would have pulled another for SWG as well.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Top 10 lists are also subjective to the creator. For example, in their top 10 TNG episodes, Farpoint was on there when many people agree it wasn't that great.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Top 10 lists are also subjective to the creator. For example, in their top 10 TNG episodes, Farpoint was on there when many people agree it wasn't that great.

Heh, Farpoint almost caused me not to watch another episode of TNG. Not the worst, imho, but it almost killed the series for me from the start...heh.
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Didn't get a look-in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y_heFmFzcI
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Here's an MMO list by GamesRadar. STO clocks at #14. Whether their judgment is any good is up for debate... I mean, does WoW really deserve to be number 1?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

That's why I said models, not the game itself.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

It's not even on that either.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Here's an MMO list by GamesRadar. STO clocks at #14. Whether their judgment is any good is up for debate... I mean, does WoW really deserve to be number 1?

Sometimes I wonder why they just call it a top 10 if they are just gonna put WOW at the top everytime. May as well make it the top 10-2.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder why they just call it a top 10 if they are just gonna put WOW at the top everytime. May as well make it the top 10-2.

Well, it does make the most money of them all and a lot of other MMOs are WoW clones. I don't play that game nor have any idea if there's bias, but I'm just throwing out possibilities.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Well, it does make the most money of them all and a lot of other MMOs are WoW clones. I don't play that game nor have any idea if there's bias, but I'm just throwing out possibilities.

It may be the top...but it's bleeding...a TON.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lol :D I'm actually more suprised that people are suprised for STO not being on lists. I mean, do some of you seriously think that Cryptic is making such a good product here?? :confused:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    lol :D I'm actually more suprised that people are suprised for STO not being on lists. I mean, do some of you seriously think that Cryptic is making such a good product here?? :confused:

Clearly you have never played Dungeons&Dragons Online. Or SWTOR.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I could see folks putting it there on an All Time list...not on a Current List though...not for some time.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Hrmm, kind of leaves me to wonder if Cryptic/PWE should email survey folks for their lists...to see what kind of players they're dealing with, eh? Cause our personal lists of MMOs likely define how we criticize or support what Cryptic is doing with STO.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »

I haven't played D&D, not my cup of tea. And I currently rank SW:TOR on a higher place.

But that's besides the point. I didn't compare STO to other lousy, kinda' lame or worse games. I just said I'm suprised people expect STO to top lists and picks. While it's Star Trek which I assume most of us here love, it's not a particular gem as a game.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I haven't played D&D, not my cup of tea. And I currently rank SW:TOR on a higher place.

But that's besides the point. I didn't compare STO to other lousy, kinda' lame or worse games. I just said I'm suprised people expect STO to top lists and picks. While it's Star Trek which I assume most of us here love, it's not a particular gem as a game.

I actually like STO a lot. Plus, it's got the potential to be even better.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

In terms of F2P models, SWTOR is the worst on the planet, that I've seen.

Now if there is one that is worse, well, SWTOR is still one o the worst.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

SWTOR is the worst, period. Not even the bad Korean browser games are that bad.

It's kind of pathetic, really.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Not talking about payment models. Just the games themselves.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Not talking about payment models. Just the games themselves.

SWTOR has some things going for it mainly, like end-game content, but it's got problems STO doesn't.
  • Options
    jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Actually TOR isn't that bad a game anymore. It's MMO aspects could use a bit of work, but as a single player game with co-op shoehorned in, it's pretty fun. The story, the voice acting, how every world has a different reason for every class to be there.

As a single player game, TOR would have been magnificent. As an MMO... It's average.

As for STO... /sigh. I love the franchise, I enjoy the universe, but they've done so much to make it into a farmville clone that I'm pretty disenchanted. I love taking my Odyssey out, I love the story missions, I love fighting the Borg... But... I can only play Infected Space Elite and the Undine Space invasion so many times. Once you get passed level... oh... 15, the game is IDENTICAL for every class, race, and faction.

And I'm sorry. Having to log in four times a day to start 'crafting projects' isn't fun. It's a chore. The rewards will eventually be worth it, maybe, but it's exactly the same thing as 'Son, wash the dishes and I'll give you a quarter'.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Hey you, let me interest you in a deal. Pay $30 and you can change your guild name!!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Hey you, let me interest you in a deal. Pay $30 and you can change your guild name!!

No, thanks, I'd prefer to spend that 30 bucks making my stupidly-named guild richer than the Grand Nagus.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I actually like STO a lot. Plus, it's got the potential to be even better.

Unfortunately that potential is being beaten to death lately.
  • Options
    jlpgaming13jlpgaming13 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Honestly I was disappointed by their list. Out of a lot of free-to-play games, STO is one of the best. Deserved an honorable mention at least, especially since you can pay nothing and still have an amazing experience in-game.
  • Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Really? Korean browser games have fifty levels of content with full voice acting, high level graphics, end game PvE and supported PvP? Clearly I need to play more of those games.

Seriously, I don't understand why TOR gets so much bad rap over their F2P model. Okay, lets try this. Pro and con for TOR vs STO, and I'll try to be as fair as possible.

Gameplay
    TOR has:
    Full storyline leveling system, fully voiced, with multiple stages of intermediate group content (meant for specific levels to play) and end game PvE and PvP, that is officially supported for PvP seasons. Also has at least the illusion of choices with their alignment system and dialogue choices in most every mission, several of which can change the path of the mission to some extent. Finally, eight classes with different game play styles and further unique to that class choices to customize.

STO has:
    Full storyline leveling system, partially voiced, with several group content mission during the leveling process (that level with you) and end game PvE and unsupported PvP. Very few missions have any choice in them in either their dialogue options or in mission pathways. Three classes with different game play styles with further choices shared across all classes. Finally, has the capability for players to create their own missions.

My verdict:

TOR

Why?

A few reasons, first of which, full voice acting in every conversation. Also, conversations where you have some choice. In TOR, I at least have some option to have my character say something different, and I get to hear it done by some pretty good voice acting. STO? Yes sir admiral sir. Or better yet, getting talked to like I'm a Klingon when I'm not a Klingon. The few missions where there is a choice, its not much of one, but I'll give some credit to STO for trying.

Second, supported PvP. I've never really gotten into PvP in either game, but I don't have to look far to find something in TOR that STO has never had. Leaderboards. Right there on the website showing top in each class.

Third, more choice in game play. At the worst way to put it, TOR has 4 classes, with two different versions depending on which side you pick. STO has only three, and they are the same on which ever side you pick.

From what I see, TOR just is the better game, gameplay wise, which makes sense since it was fully developed with a huge budget and a full schedule, and STO, well, wasn't.

So, on to the F2P economies.

TOR:
    Full access to storyline, limited gameplay mechanics that can be improved through one time purchases. Limit to number of end game PvE and PvP games per week. Lockbox type purchases for special items (buy lockbox in store, no drops). Character and account unlocks purchasable. Subscribers/Lifetime get more included in the price of their subscriptions (allowance of in game cash money, species and some traits unlock for free or reduced prices, fewest limits on gameplay, fewer vanity items that STO). Some cash items can be placed on market for in game non-cash currency. Few optional recurring charges in game play. F2P has less opportunity to use in game only means to get cash items (market, limits on amount of in game currency F2P can use, limit can be removed (permanently?)).

STO:
    Full access to all parts of the game. Lockbox type purchases for special items (keys in store, boxes drop as loot). Character and account unlocks purchasable. Subs/lifetime get more included in the price of their subs (allowance of in game cash money, species, and more vanity items that TOR). Most cash items can be placed on market for in game non-cash currency. More optional recurring charges in game play. Ability to earn currency to convert to cash currency through pure in game means (market, dil exchange, limit on ammount of currency F2P can use (EC only) limit can be removed permanently).

My verdict:

Tied.

Why?

Honestly, this could go either way, and I guess it depends on the type of person. Yes, TOR does lock some highly useful parts of the game (I wouldn't quite say necessary) behind a pay wall, but its a one time purchase thing. Five bucks (and five bucks worth of anything, not just the action bar unlocks) and you get enough to play to level 50, seems to be the word. And there is nothing in TOR that requires ongoing payment besides a subscription. There is no equivalent to dilithium, and everything else is either pay for another shot at end game PvE and PvP, or wait until you get a free one next week. Me, I'm not big into PvE raids or PvP, so I don't really care. Bottom line, you can buy into a subscription a la carte, or not, your choice.

On the other hand, yes STO lets you do anything in the game, but there is a lot more cost of dilithium in the system. Yes you can earn it, but if you want to go get stuff, or do stuff now, like with crafting, all that dilithium goes down the drain. Also the one time unlocks, sure you get them on your entire account forever, but its almost a guaranty that the next unlock to come up will be bigger and better. TOR, most of the unlocks are one time and nothing will replace them or be better (game play stuff) or is cosmetic (like mounts).

So, I can see both sides of this, and I suspect it comes down to individual. TOR you probably have to spend more money yourself, STO you have to pay more in game but can get it in game or via cash. Therefore, I will call it a tie.

Final conclusion:
    TOR is simple the better produced and finished game. More money and time was put into it, so no surprise. Everything in it is a grade above STO, which one claim to difference is the foundry. The F2P matrix, both have their ups and downs, which might make a difference on the individual, but I don't think its universal enough to say one or the other wins. So I have to fall back to gameplay, and well, there you go.

Also following this long rambling post, you know the other reason why TOR is on these lists, and not STO, and why WoW is number 1? Public knowledge. WoW is the MMO "everyone" knows about. Its entered pop culture it's so huge. EvE Online has had serious news articles published about it. TOR is riding the coat tails of a massive fan base and the publicity of new Star Wars movies coming out, in addition to a lot of publicity of its own when it launched and ongoing.

STO was pushed out the door to tie into a movie that many people didn't like, and that it really had no direct connection to, is poorly publicized, and while the Star Trek fanbase is pretty big, I've seen nothing to say that its really been put to work like the Star Wars fanbase was with TOR.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member