test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bonus Research XP R&D

xsilvermanxxsilvermanx Member Posts: 52 Arc User
Hey there,

did anybody run that mission? It's not fun.

So everything fine with Ground Gear, had leveled it to Lvl 1, need 260 XP to get to Lvl 2. At the same time I'd run the Science Bonus Research XP because I didn't have any materials to get things running. Now that one has finished, it rewarded 6,000 XP. Kinda much. Sadly it seems to have scaled the amount of XP you need to get to level up. That 6,000 XP got me to Lvl 2 (!) and to advance to Lvl.3 I need 10,000 XP. As the standard research projects still jield like 150 XP for a normal Mk IV-Deflector or whatever I can't do anything else than queue those Bonus Research-Projects. I don't think that this is correct.
Greetings
Silverman
Post edited by xsilvermanx on

Comments

• ltdata96ltdata96 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    IDK how the Devs have thought this through, but it seems the only reasonable way to level R&D is doing the XP project or crafting Mk XII Items (what costs a whole lot of dil).

As it seems, the XP projects are your only choice aside from blowing lots and lots of Dil to get R&D running.

EDIT:

I've thought this through and can tell you the (probably) best way to level your favourite school:

First level School XX (the one of your choice) to LV 5. That unlocks 3 assignment slots. Then you level Schools YY and ZZ there to unlock the 4th slot.
    Then raise XX to 15 and run XP projects in all slots so you can level as fast as possible.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    6k is a lot at level 0.
    By level 5 you are running the R&D 6k project for the same school 3x a day and still not getting 1 level per day.

Trust me, the 6k / day job is just fine.

Now compare it to the last "free" (no dil needed) stuff, which you can already make, mark X.
    Mark X takes 3 (or is it 4?) hours and gets you several thousand XP. So its actually faster to make mark X items many times a day, in multiple slots, to level up. But to do that you needed a lot of old crafting mats converted so you can make the mark X stuff. I had a sackful and still am running out of some of the blue materials, gonna have to farm stfs.

I think level 15 is going to take a long while if you do not accelerate the process with dil which I refuse to do.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm pretty sure the devs thought about this thoroughly because the whole crafting system is one giant dil sink, again. As you have noticed without the instant-finish-dil-payment leveling up will take forever and that's the whole point of it. It's supposed to keep the greater mass of people "occupied" with a lot of timegates while the devs (presumably) work on the next "big" chunk of real content.
  • xsilvermanxxsilvermanx Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's not a bug, it's a feature? Seriously?

So to get to lvl 1, you need 50 / 100 (not sure which) XP, for level 2 it's 260, for level 3 10,000?
  • havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    When I'm online, I roll MK2 gear @ 50xp per 5mins, currently with 3 queues, so 150xp every 5 mins.

All the higher Mk gear gives scaling xp but costs more valuable resources to produce while taking longer to finish, not as efficient.

So ~ run a bunch of mk2 gear when you're online, and the bonus daily XP when you're offline.

Also quirky is the cost goes down between rank 4-5 (10k-30k) vs 6 (30k-48k). Interested to see how that continues to scale past rank 6, or if it's just broken (my money's on the latter).
    edited July 2014

So to get to lvl 1, you need 50 / 100 (not sure which) XP, for level 2 it's 260, for level 3 10,000?

Welcome to STO, where for everthing good we get (the xindi carrier and the new traits are pretty neat) we get slapped in the face with something else (exploration, crafting, terrible doff UI).
  • ceekayzeroceekayzero Member Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Unfortunately. We complained about this on Tribble, because the time curve seemed bizzare. The Bonus Research XP project was the compromise.

I think it's a good compromise, since it will allow me to get all my schools to level 15 before the end of the year without paying any additional dilithium.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    ltdata96 wrote: »
    First level School XX (the one of your choice) to LV 5. That unlocks 3 assignment slots. Then you level Schools YY and ZZ there to unlock the 4th slot.
    Then raise XX to 15 and run XP projects in all slots so you can level as fast as possible.

Just follow this advice to go slow and steady. In about 2 months, you should have maxed one school. If you have multiple toons, just have each one max a single school you're interested in.

On another note:

Has anyone been able to craft deflectors or shields with any new mods not mentioned in the dev post?
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    while it is an obvious dil sink, at least it provides some useful and desirable items this time.

I am torn on the approach. Other games tend to kill you with activity: farm 10000000000 materials, refine them one by one into components, then make the same item 100000000000 times in a row, repeat. They may take less clock time, or not, to get to max level, but its a horrible grind, which IIRC people here throw a fit whenever something seems grindy.

there is no grind to this system, but it is not really interactive either. Tell your goons to go make something, and wait for it.
    edited July 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    Tell your goons to go make something, and wait for it.

Now I finally see it. It's Cryptik's way to simulate the life of an admiral. They make us order people around while we sit in in our office waiting for their reports. IT'S BRILLIANT! ;)
  • raptor63549raptor63549 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Just follow this advice to go slow and steady. In about 2 months, you should have maxed one school. If you have multiple toons, just have each one max a single school you're interested in.

On another note:

Has anyone been able to craft deflectors or shields with any new mods not mentioned in the dev post?

I have not. Not engines either.
    edited July 2014
    You can potentially make 10,000 xp in the same 20H it takes to make 6,000xp with the bonus project. That's per queue.

Its just a matter of sitting around and micromanaging your queue every 6 mins, vs "set it and forget it" for a day.
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    havokreign wrote: »
    You can potentially make 10,000 xp in the same 20H it takes to make 6,000xp with the bonus project. That's per queue.

Its just a matter of sitting around and micromanaging your queue every 6 mins, vs "set it and forget it" for a day.

Every six minutes, that cute.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Every six minutes, that cute.

or craft MK X items and then its every 3 hours
    edited July 2014
    Anything better than Mk2 scales proportionately with XP, but takes more time and materials.

Crafting a buncha Mk2's in the 3H a MkX would take, nets you the same xp at significantly less resource cost.

I never said it was practical :D