test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crafting Tutorial-Needed?

gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Duty Officer System and R&D
I'm not a long time MMO dude so I'm not sure about it, but it seems like you'd incorporate some little tutorial for peeps getting started in the crafting. Like a short cut scene explaining how it works.
For me, I'm stupid, so I wasted a lot of EC and time crafting MKIV Sci consoles before I realized I could just do the 20hr. project to level up my game until I can craft something more substantial. Well at least some noobs out there can get some rare and very rare MKIV Field Gens & Emitters. hehe

Also, is it just me or does it feel like more of another rep system than a crafting system? Or is it just how it is?

And lastly, I'd really like some new missions to find these crafting materials instead of running the same old tired STFs and getting the mat packs. It would be awesome if there was some type of "Scavenge Wreckage" for KDF and "Search for Life Signs" mission for Feds where you'd come across a derelict and board it, search it, get mats, maybe come across some hostile aliens or some survivors that needed help. Incorporate a puzzle to save the survivors and a Boss ship for the hostiles.
Post edited by gooddaytodie39 on

Comments

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Apparently there is some sort of crafting tutorial out there...but uh...for almost everybody they just get a box for having completed it without even having seen it. There was a thread from somebody asking about being able to get back into it, because they started it - ended up closing it - and couldn't get back to it.

And heh, it's not just 20hr project...you can slot the project multiple times in the same school if you've got the project slots.

edit: So basically you raise one to unlock the second slot, raise one to 4 using two slots to unlock the third slot, raise three to 5 using three slots to unlock the fourth slot, and then raise one to 15 with the four slots, eh? Meh, I already forgot what it takes to unlock the second slot, can't remember if it is 2 or 3. Then you'll have the five slots to work toward getting to 15 in each...and then maybe take a look at doing some actual crafting, lol...eh?
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Is there a place that explains the Conversion process for the old Resources?
    I've been away for awhile and looked through the Dev Blogs but didn't see one about this.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    I've been away for awhile and looked through the Dev Blogs but didn't see one about this.

It's a double-click or right-click 'n use thing that brings up an interface allowing you to convert them. Can't remember if they can be converted directly from bank space or if they need to be in your inventory, I just did mine from inventory after pulling them out of the bank.

There are Common and Uncommon for the Data Samples. It's pretty much a 1:2 ratio, you get two of the new for one of the old.

The Particle Traces are annoying, because it is Random. You might get Rare, you might get Uncommon, or you might get Common. Meh is all I have to say to that one....

They listened to some of the initial feedback and kind of did a compromise. While converting, you can set the slider to 100. Heh, it used to be one at a time. Was still a PITA to convert of 30k mats...
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As far as I know, the crafting tutorial were those arrows you experienced when opening up the UI for the first time.

Thought it would've been nice if they had a video on the STO website or somekind of interface in STO that provided the information. Like a console somewhere or the info in the Help menu.

daveyny wrote: »

Just click on the old mats and it opens up the conversion store.

As for the conversion tables, don't recall seeing one. Though someone might've posted it on the Tribble Forums.
  • gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Where is the tutorial initiated? In the Academy, for both Feds and Klinks? I checked the "Available" tab to see if there was something in their and didn't see anything...
    edited July 2014
    Thanks folks.
    I guess it's like the last time They converted stuff for us...
    :eek:
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    edited July 2014
    It's a double-click or right-click 'n use thing that brings up an interface allowing you to convert them. Can't remember if they can be converted directly from bank space or if they need to be in your inventory, I just did mine from inventory after pulling them out of the bank.

There are Common and Uncommon for the Data Samples. It's pretty much a 1:2 ratio, you get two of the new for one of the old.

The Particle Traces are annoying, because it is Random. You might get Rare, you might get Uncommon, or you might get Common. Meh is all I have to say to that one....

They listened to some of the initial feedback and kind of did a compromise. While converting, you can set the slider to 100. Heh, it used to be one at a time. Was still a PITA to convert of 30k mats...

Whoa..?? dang!!!

My eight toons plus my fleet bank, is well over that number...

:(
  • egreywalker2egreywalker2 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Where is the tutorial initiated? In the Academy, for both Feds and Klinks? I checked the "Available" tab to see if there was something in their and didn't see anything...

the "tutorial" is little pop-up boxes that tell you how to use the doff system for crafting, and then a 10 second doff mission that basically does nothing. if your roster is full you get a box of 18 emergency r&d holograms (if you have space they auto-fill your roster). and basically that's it for the crafting tutorial.

the easiest way to get started is to pick a school, pick a mk IV thing to craft from that school, make the components and then do the mk IV item (15 minutes of crafting), that takes you to lvl 1 and you get a second slot. if you have time, make a few mk VI things until you're lvl 2, then slot in two 20 hour projects for your chosen school, which should take you to lvl 3. do the same the next day to get to lvl 4 and unlock your 3rd slot, then either craft or do 20 hour projects to get to lvl 5, then work on another school the same way (to lvl 5), then another until you unlock the 4th slot. then just pick a school and grind to 15.
  • r1shathrar1shathra Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    the "tutorial" is little pop-up boxes that tell you how to use the doff system for crafting, and then a 10 second doff mission that basically does nothing. if your roster is full you get a box of 18 emergency r&d holograms (if you have space they auto-fill your roster). and basically that's it for the crafting tutorial.

I addressed Captain Smirk during the last live stream session on 7/18. He stated that there is not currently an R&D tutorial in game. I think that was the point of the live stream, a way to get some education out to the community, since there was nothing in game. You can view the replay of the session on the PWE twitch channel if you like. On a side note, it was a bit of an odd presentation, I don't think even the PWE staff have had much time with R&D, at one point he almost fires off the 20h daily, which would have locked his only slot and borked the whole show, funny. In all honesty, it seems like the vast majority of players have a poor grasp of the duty officer system. All this noise about the changes and how it's un-playable. Questions about the free holograms you get. Are we playing the same game??

Anyway, after patching to 9.5 there is a small guided popup help script that plays, just to familiarize you with the new duty officer interface, but it in no way was meant as an R&D tutorial. I'm sure they will add something in at a later date.

John
  • akrilonakrilon Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Player Made Crafting Tutorial Video

For those needing a tutorial on the basics of the crafting system, Stonewall Fleet has a brief 7 minute video that will clear up the basic 'need to knows' of how the crafting system works. This is for beginners of the system that need some help understanding and getting around the new system, and doesn't answer advanced questions.

Best watched at 1080p and full screen resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_HzD0sin4g
    faddc0e2956f1903cb9ac9197fb10cd8_large.png
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    akrilon wrote: »
    Player Made Crafting Tutorial Video

For those needing a tutorial on the basics of the crafting system, Stonewall Fleet has a brief 7 minute video that will clear up the basic 'need to knows' of how the crafting system works. This is for beginners of the system that need some help understanding and getting around the new system, and doesn't answer advanced questions.

Best watched at 1080p and full screen resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_HzD0sin4g

I gotta say that's one pretty nice tutorial. Well narrated, well animated. In short, well done.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Since the DOFF forum has been expanded to include R&D I have moved this thread accordingly.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • cmdrhawkeyezcmdrhawkeyez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hello,

I have been away for awhile and looked at this; I have a basic idea of how I plan to run the crafting if I run it at all; it will show you only how I play; not necessarily the best idea but in my many years of MMO gaming I can see what road this leads to; in fact it is pretty much the same road as the old system:

In short you simply craft upwards on cheap stuff simply to gain crafting experience; you dont actually build anything you need and taking the time to sell anything you craft is also negligible to the time you should rather use to play the game; just ' how "I" roll ' !

It costs funds, dil, EC whatever; you make these funds in other ways to support your crafting if it is a goal of yours to become an expert crafter as hoping to get those elusive and probly expensive catalysts worths 50xp.

For me I would rather make funds in other ways and join a guild who can pool resources and just buy the stuff (or not join a guild). Also for me it is really more about the time I spend doing things in the (or any) game; crafting is not my forte.

I noted that the sniper rifle in the stream was a certain level produced at level 15 R&D; still probly not as good as rare drops.

IE you spend and spend til the final end and there is where you start getting your reward(s); it probly is a long road; I will attempt to go over it tonite: (2200 EST)

http://www.twitch.tv/cdr_zeta

I will try to get the stream loc in my sig...

CMDR Zeta