test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are we overreacting much?

124»

Comments

• coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm not sure how to reply to that in a manner that is not offensive. Perhaps one of the more diplomatic members of the forum community could do so in a way that would not quickly lead to moderator intervention...

I know!

"You have your opinions and I have mine. Let's just agree to disagree and leave this to rest shall we?"

You're welcome :)
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    coupaholic wrote: »
    I know!

"You have your opinions and I have mine. Let's just agree to disagree and leave this to rest shall we?"

You're welcome :)

Heh, it's more about what matters to Player A may not matter to Player B, and that Player A saying that Player B is whining while Player B says that Player A is whining doesn't really get anywhere. But what you said definitely needs to be said more often unfortunately. :D
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Can't agree with either of you there. Once you get passed the shock of falling out of your familiar grinding channel I think the system works a hell of a lot better now. Its much simpler to start an assignment, information is much more clearly presented before hand, its MUCH easier to compare missions, and between the little animations for the success levels and the larger image sizes it looks much better too.

The only issue I've found so far is just the lack of any sort in the on-going assignments.

Sorting in general seems a problem to me. The DOFF list is pretty messed up, too. Maybe the filters will eliminate that problem.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Heh, it's more about what matters to Player A may not matter to Player B, and that Player A saying that Player B is whining while Player B says that Player A is whining doesn't really get anywhere. But what you said definitely needs to be said more often unfortunately. :D
    However, my point stands - any hyperbolic claim that there are no ("0%" was the term used) devs working on fixing bugs is categorically false, and trivially easy to debunk. Yes, there are bugs. Some are more difficult to fix than others, as any software professional (or former software professional, in my case) should be plainly aware.

(My personal best came when I was working at HQ SAC in the '80s - over 135 runtime and compilation errors in a COBOL program, and it took me three days to find out it was because I'd missed a semicolon in the Data Division section. Then there was the bug - not mine, someone else's - that lay hidden in a targeting program for over a year, until someone actually ran a dataset based on the real weapons through it and found it was suddenly targeting every weapon in the inventory at 0 degrees latitude, 0 degrees longitude, a point just off the west coast of Africa...)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • vhex333vhex333 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Let me clarify:

Originally Posted by vhex333
    I want them to be as greedy as they can, as long as they look at following the collective, majority views (not catering to an individual request).

Cryptic can be rewarded with financial gain as long as they continue to improve the game and listen to the gaming community. This prolongs the game, keeps the studio interested in developing content as it makes money and gives us, the players a continued line of new and interesting content. If a company does this, then they deserve to make money.

So, yes, I hope I am not alone. I am also probably, like many others, Crypitc's ideal player, I have sunk many many hundreds of dollars into this game over the years, possibly a couple of thousand across the span and in return have got hundreds and hundreds of hours of entertainment.

Also, the original Doff system wasn't a 1000% better as stated. It was easier to sort through. I am finding the new system makes it quicker to fill the 23 odd doff slots each day. I preferred the pie chart but it's not the end of the world that it's gone. I would very much like sorting and this is coming.

Also Jonsills above is absolutely correct, of course bugs are being worked on. Just look at the patch notes and it's clear that bugs are being eaten away. Remember we kept losing our set ups on map changes? All gone.. Magic imps didn't do it, hard working programmers and QA people did at Cryptic.

If I sound overly fanboy praising of Cryptic, it's just that this game is getting better and better and I feel the move to new content is a positive thing.
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    When was the last time you were on a ground mission and the enemies fell through the floor, leaving them able to shoot you but you unable to retaliate?

When was the last time the game crashed routinely on warping to a new sector block?

When was the last time all your BOff assignments vanished, leaving your bridge unmanned, every time you changed maps?

Those, my friend, were game-breaking bugs. And they are gone. And that's just a quickie list off the top of my head - I have a high degree of confidence that if I went through just the past year's list of bug reports, I'd find the majority of them have been addressed.

So, was your response intended as cynical (and, as David Brin has observed, lazy) humor, or were you serious?

Erm... haahahahahaha, of course dude. If they dont even fix those bugs.. the game will be dead years ago.. but i guess this is a joke, right?

My response cynical?? or are you just a cryptic employer? Ok, lets forget about any important bug. Who cares, right? lets spent 100% of our money in releasing dumb and stupid things, and forget about everything else, right? what about the loadout system?? what about the invisible weapons bug? what about the impossible to play zones like undine bttlezone and other ones?? lets forget about all of that, and let cryptic to keep releasing stuff without worrying on anything else. IM SURE that if this is the path you want to walk with cryptic, the game is dead A YEAR from now on.

The problem is, you seem to have a really little experience playing videogames. For you, a bug like the invisible weapons bug is not important, but for most videogame players, it is an essential problem that needs to be solved. I only hope its only you who thinks that way, because i dont want the next expansion to be "the new special weapons package, the "cloaked" torps and "cloaked" beam arrays are here!!!!".

BTW.. its curious you guys are always the same ones when its about to defend cryptic... lol, just saying..
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Honestly, this is the biggest question I have to ask: are we actually sitting here, throwing fits and declaring PWE and Cryptic are greedy [REDACTED]s because of a DOFF system? Because of the removal of the Star Clusters? Because they're a game company and they need money to keep going?

Seriously, I've been looking at posts for the past few hours and I'm sitting here seeing people saying that they were going to quit because of the DOFF UI. The DOFF UI, people. It's a little unwieldy, yes, but the way you guys are acting, it's if opening it up causes you guys physical harm.

Have we, as a community, fallen so hard that we have to pitch fits over the smallest things like every other game out there? I came here August 2013, just after the last Risa event and it wasn't this bad. A year later, it's like... I dunno how to describe it, but it's bad and it's embarrassing.

I used to like coming to the forums from time to time. Not anymore. Sure, go ahead, call me out on my own ironic complaining, but at least I'm not rage quitting over a piece of code. If you guys want to quit over it, fine. Go ahead. No one's stopping you. But don't quit over something petty.

LOL Honestly you have not been here for the past 9.5 seasons and were this game was and where it is now? Look at the former posts and you will see a trend towards more grinding and greedy behavior from PWE. Do you think by removing content and creating an insatiable thirst for grinding models people would be happy. To each its own but if you feel embarrassed look in the past and you will turn even redder. This AINT pretty at all and only for a single reason: GREED :eek:
    DUwNP.gif

• rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Greed is good.
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We're not overreacting, we're only [REDACTED]
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I say yes. Some of the complaints are so ridiculous. Yes, there are valid issues, but many posts end up becoming nothing but "PWE SUCKS, GAME DYING, WORST UPDATE EVER."

I guess people choose to forget or they were not here for years like 2011 where content was veeeery scarce.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I am not "defending Cryptic". I am defending the concept of truth. And if you cannot make an argument without resorting to extreme hyperbole (to the point it qualifies as "lying"), then perhaps you do not have an argument at all.

Now, if you were to base an argument on the idea that they aren't fixing the bugs that are important to you, you might have a case - but then you'd have to admit that your judgment was highly subjective, and the accusation that absolutely no one at all was fixing anything was blatantly false. Then that wouldn't give you that sweet, sweet self-righteousness high.

Really, is your basis that you can't find enough real things to complain about with STO, and you have to make things up in order to fill your quota?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I am not "defending Cryptic". I am defending the concept of truth. And if you cannot make an argument without resorting to extreme hyperbole (to the point it qualifies as "lying"), then perhaps you do not have an argument at all.

Now, if you were to base an argument on the idea that they aren't fixing the bugs that are important to you, you might have a case - but then you'd have to admit that your judgment was highly subjective, and the accusation that absolutely no one at all was fixing anything was blatantly false. Then that wouldn't give you that sweet, sweet self-righteousness high.

Really, is your basis that you can't find enough real things to complain about with STO, and you have to make things up in order to fill your quota?

I bet a lot do this.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I won't go so far to say people are over reacting to any of the BS changes craptic has been making. I for one am very pissed that all the time and resources I put into the old crafting have been completely wiped out only to start new with this...sh** they call crafting. Every change they [craptic] makes to systems, the ui, etc, that weren't broken in the first place (ie: equipment icons) is just flat moronic. The new doff ui? The old one was less confusing, worked more smoothly and looked a lot better than this cludge they've yet again produced. I'm sorry, but while I love my one and only decent Trek game (my opinion) I really hate the sh** they're doing to it.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    I bet a lot do this.

Argument for argument's sake? I agree.

You can tell when certain people reply with full reports complete with numbers, links and sources instead of just ignoring it. They love it, but then the entire Internet does.

It seems the absolute worst thing to happen to you online, is to have someone disagree with you.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Overreaction seems to be a fact of life on this forum sometimes, what with all the doom threads and all
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      cpc2011a wrote: »
      I won't go so far to say people are over reacting to any of the BS changes craptic has been making. I for one am very pissed that all the time and resources I put into the old crafting have been completely wiped out only to start new with this...sh** they call crafting. Every change they [craptic] makes to systems, the ui, etc, that weren't broken in the first place (ie: equipment icons) is just flat moronic. The new doff ui? The old one was less confusing, worked more smoothly and looked a lot better than this cludge they've yet again produced. I'm sorry, but while I love my one and only decent Trek game (my opinion) I really hate the sh** they're doing to it.

Let's be honest now, there wasn't a crafting system before. There was a shop. The new system might not be exactly what we were hoping for (and a lot of that will come when we get the ability to indicate which mods we prefer) but you can actually call it a crafting system now.

EDIT: And wow! You're actually saying you preferred the old equipment icons? They were rubbish! The new icons are a hundred times better.

The Doff UI? Yeah, I agree there is a lot wrong with it now. Just like the reputation system, the density of information on the lists is just too low. The use of space is wildly inefficient.
      http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
    • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      walshicus wrote: »
      Let's be honest now, there wasn't a crafting system before. There was a shop. The new system might not be exactly what we were hoping for (and a lot of that will come when we get the ability to indicate which mods we prefer) but you can actually call it a crafting system now.

EDIT: And wow! You're actually saying you preferred the old equipment icons? They were rubbish! The new icons are a hundred times better.

The Doff UI? Yeah, I agree there is a lot wrong with it now. Just like the reputation system, the density of information on the lists is just too low. The use of space is wildly inefficient.

The old crafting was more crafting than this new TRIBBLE-shoot they've given us. At least before you could "buy" with resources exactly what you wanted instead of hoping that you get the modifiers you want. Will we get the ability to choose the mods we want? I rather doubt it, as I'm sure they've already moved on to the next thing they want to completely TRIBBLE up.

Yes I did prefer the old icons. They were easy to tell what was what without having to squint at the tiny little center of a console to figure out which energy type it's for. Just by glancing at the icon you'd know, and don't give me the 'use the loadout options' because they cause more problems than they solve. But more importantly...they weren't broken.

I do agree with your assessment of the doff ui though. It's pretty much right on.
    • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
      edited July 2014
      I'm pretty sure these threads are generated by those that don't have much of an investment in the game.

Usually, if you are paying for something, you reserve the right to criticize it.
    • domadamsukdomadamsuk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited July 2014

Hear Hear.

"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth. It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based. And if you can't find it within yourself to stand up and tell the truth, you don't deserve to wear that uniform!"