test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic Please Put More Emphasis on the Zen Store and Less on Lock Boxes

gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
As I just said in another thread, please put more things in the zen store and lose the focus on the never ending stream of lock boxes.
Cryptic if you would have put the Xindi carrier in the zen store, I'd buy it right away for twenty-five bucks. I'm not willing to gamble my hard earned money away on a ship I want but only have a small chance to get. You can put a cross-faction tab in the store.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this line of thinking.
Post edited by gooddaytodie39 on

Comments

• Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Unfortunately, I think it's a CBS thing (I could be wrong) requiring them to make "Alien" ships rarer in STO. Which is why faction ships (Federation-aligned, Romulan, and KDF-aligned) ships are in the C-Store and other "alien" ships (like the Elachi, Dominion/Cardassian, etc) are in Lockboxes. The "randomness" of the ship dropping from a lockbox "technically" makes that ship rarer.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Lobi allows "non cannon ships" to be flown. Plus it's a huge cash cow.

Here to stay, no one to blame but the community, if no one bought lockbox ships, they would stop coming
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    wbaker256#3172 wbaker256 Member Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    Lobi allows "non cannon ships" to be flown. Plus it's a huge cash cow.

Here to stay, no one to blame but the community, if no one bought lockbox ships, they would stop coming

It's not that they're "non-canon". They're just not typical Starfleet/KDF/Republic fare. A lot of the ships we've gotten, including the two new ones (save for the names) are canon starships.
    @MGoblin256

"[GARBLED ELECTRONIC NOISES]"
    - Thot Gar - Commanding Officer of the Braaktak Kaan
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would rather them put more emphasis on fun instead of grinding/lockboxes/c-store. I know it's a business but come on now.
  • Options
    lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There are more specialty ships then you can imagine for sale and being used in the game, I've seen them myself, so people must be buying and using millions of keys! Geez, I just realized how much money is coming in from that alone!! So much for the theory of this game going bust anytime soon. lolz

:rolleyes:
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited July 2014
    Of all the cash grabs that Cryptic keeps coming up with ... lock boxes bother me the least. Yes they are OP and yes they are annoying in the hands of experienced players. But for the most part I have written off PvP and in PvE it is a not a big deal.

Immersion breaking is also not an issue since there is so much silly non Trek TRIBBLE here already. What does annoy me is the ridiculous amount of cash grabbing from the ostensibly named player crafting. It is more like Cryptic crafting a new way to soak up dilithium ... and indirectly cash.

Throw in a broken doffing GUI and the removal of content and there is way more to dislike than some silly overpriced gambling boxes I would ignore anyways.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I understand your point but Cryptic makes more money with lockboxes than C-store ships..... The Xindi Fat Batmobile Carrier is WAY too overpowered for $25. it's even too powerful to be a fleet ship. I'm not sure if you already know this but if you sell Master Keys/Fleet Ship Modules and save up EC, you'll have the Xindi Fat Batmobile Carrier in no time!

Also there will be more C-store ships very soon and I don't need a leak to convince me of that! ;) (even though they won't be as powerful as most Lockbox ships :p)
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • Options
    gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    stomperx99 wrote: »
    I understand your point but Cryptic makes more money with lockboxes than C-store ships..... The Xindi Fat Batmobile Carrier is WAY too overpowered for $25. it's even too powerful to be a fleet ship. I'm not sure if you already know this but if you sell Master Keys/Fleet Ship Modules and save up EC, you'll have the Xindi Fat Batmobile Carrier in no time!

Also there will be more C-store ships very soon and I don't need a leak to convince me of that! ;) (even though they won't be as powerful as most Lockbox ships :p)

They only make more money off of lock box ships because they choose to. They put the ships with the best stats and boff layouts in the boxes and Lobi store. If they put those same ships in the C-store I'm sure they would sell. Look at the Scimitar.
    As far as CBS controlling what ships go where and how they are sold, I've not seen anything that would support that claim and to me it makes no sense. Why would CBS care? It's like people saying "we don't have this feature because the engine won't support it". Says who?
    I'd imagine the only thing CBS cares about is receiving it's checks. The other stuff goes down to Al Rivera's likes and dislikes.
    Anyway, I dropped $20.00 in real money and about 60 miiliion ec I'd saved over 3-4 months on keys and no Xindi carrier. It's really not possible for me to save $250 million ec I'd need to buy it off the exchange.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You would think the most common ship in the kdf would be a bird of prey. Except it is lockbox ships
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As I just said in another thread, please put more things in the zen store and lose the focus on the never ending stream of lock boxes.
    Cryptic if you would have put the Xindi carrier in the zen store, I'd buy it right away for twenty-five bucks. I'm not willing to gamble my hard earned money away on a ship I want but only have a small chance to get. You can put a cross-faction tab in the store.

lockboxes are gamble device can net potentially far more profits then a small sum for that same ship your looking for on the z-store. thats your answer.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think what we are really desperate for is something rare and in desirable in the normal loot tables.

Right now everything an established player wants is available through lockboxes, the C-store, reputation, lobi, or fleet requisition.

Established players have huge stockpiles of EC and far better capability to generate EC then new players.

There was a time when a new player was faced with EC inflation but could get their foot in the door with a lucky loot drop. The opportunities for this are greatly reduced now that all the best ship equipment comes from fleet and reputation stores.
  • Options
    simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Tried this under Atari and it was a huge fail. Keep the boxes. If you don't want to use them or the ships don't. Let the players that want to sink money into the game do so. There is also other ways to get the ship. Earn the EC for one. I grind for keys and sell them. Then I have a set amount I am willing to pay ec wise for the ship. I got luck and found the Ximdi Ecsort for cheap. I found it miss labeled for 12 million instead of 120 million. People make this mistake all the time. I got my wells for 40k and my orb weaver for 890k.
    320x240.jpg