test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Critical Question

jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
No, the question itself is not critical, rather it has to do with the way cries are rolled in STO.

As a veteran of many MMOs and RPGs going back to AD&D, I have seen critical hit rolls work in one of several ways, two of which are the most common, and I'm just wondering which way STO handles it - this may have been answered in some mechanics thread at some point, but I figure it's more efficient to get the info from someone who knows rather than spend four hours wading through old meta threads.

My questions is as follows:

Is critical chance part of to-hit rolls, or is it rolled separately after the to-hit. i.e. if one theoretically had 100% crit chance, would you also have a 100% hit chance? I have played other MMOs where CrtH % was significantly more important than attack rating vs. defense simply because a crit was rolled as part of the to-hit (i.e. rolling a "natural 20" in D&D 2E), and others where crit chance means nothing unless you have the attack rating to actually hit the target, since it was a separate roll.

It's not really critical to me (pun, I apologize), more just as a curiosity, a little since more and more CritH items keep getting in game, but there are no direct CritH protections (e.g. a console that gives a -% chance for you to be critted).

If anyone knows off the top of their head, I'd be much obliged.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
Post edited by jornado on

Comments

• Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    95% sure it's a double roll.

One to hit and one to crit.

Having overcome defense through accuracy, your suppose to overflow into crith/critd.

This overflow is currently bugged, but that is how its designed..
    Thus why I'm quite sure of the double roll
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's separate from accuracy. Crit doesn't increase your hit chance.
  • Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thanks, that's just what I wanted to know.

Cheers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.