test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Does anyone else find it strange... (Borg content)

cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
...that the Borg just aren't a threat now?

At Wolf 359, 39 Starships were lost and 11,000 people died, and the Cube ignored every attack apart from one via the Borg's own hive mind - the most catastrophic defeat in Federation history.

By the battle of Sector 001, a Federation Fleet could actually bring down a normal Cube, with not quite as many ships lost.

By STO, even an average player ship has the ability to comfortably 1 vs 1 a Cube, and most of us on here could solo a Tactical Cube, with varying amounts of ease. And it isn't just the big stuff, even a remake of Archer's NX-01 could take on a Sphere and win now.

The Borg started off as one of the most dangerous opponents the Alpha Quadrant had seen, and now a team of 5 ships can destroy a Transwarp Gate Assembly, a Tac Cube, 2 normal Cubes and lots of Spheres in about a minute and a half.

A mere 90 seconds or even less!

In 43 years, the Borg have gone from only needing one Cube to assimilate the AQ, to needing a small fleet of their own to stop a single AQ ship. That's progress, and pretty soon we will need a new ultimate threat, because the Borg just aren't suitable now...
Post edited by cbrjwrr on

Comments

• Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    To be honest I noticed something I found strange watching First Contact the other night, in that scene where the Borg chase Pickard and Lily into the holo-deck he uses a tommy gun to kill the Borg following him.

That's when it hit me that when he used a projectile weapon their shields didn't adapt, why the heck didn't he just replicate a ton of projectile weapons and give them to the crew instead of abandoning ship?

Maybe it's along those lines, we just figured out how to fight them better now :)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    because Starfleet haven't used bullet-based weapons, they were out of date before Starfleet was formed...

Also, Borg can't adapt to a good pointy metal stick. Klingons FTW.

Trouble is, look at the progression - A Tac Cube is now weak. The Borg need Tac Diamonds...
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »

At Wolf 359, 39 Starships were lost and 11,000 people died, and the Cube ignored every attack apart from one via the Borg's own hive mind - the most catastrophic defeat in Federation history.

By the battle of Sector 001, a Federation Fleet could actually bring down a normal Cube, with not quite as many ships lost.

By STO, even an average player ship has the ability to comfortably 1 vs 1 a Cube, and most of us on here could solo a Tactical Cube, with varying amounts of ease. And it isn't just the big stuff, even a remake of Archer's NX-01 could take on a Sphere and win now.

The Borg started off as one of the most dangerous opponents the Alpha Quadrant had seen, and now a team of 5 ships can destroy a Transwarp Gate Assembly, a Tac Cube, 2 normal Cubes and lots of Spheres in about a minute and a half.

A mere 90 seconds or even less!

In 43 years, the Borg have gone from only needing one Cube to assimilate the AQ, to needing a small fleet of their own to stop a single AQ ship. That's progress, and pretty soon we will need a new ultimate threat, because the Borg just aren't suitable now...

i take your point but if you had the kind of resilliance and weaponry of a lore based cube it would be too dificult to make the game fun, theres got to be a balance between how much the game sticks to what we see in the episodes and what is achivable or playable that can feature in game.
    this means that some things in the game are only a shadow of what we see on tv otherwise it would make the game too dificult even for a team of 5 let alone a single player.

there is also the point that weapons and ships have been developed and enhanced way beyond the ships that were arround when wolf 359 occured.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Yes ... , but it depends on how you view "now" .

The Borg are not a threat since this game went F2P .
    Before that , when the STF's were 1+ hour raids and we had to face them with MkXI weapons , no doffs , no "traits" , no Scimitars or Lockbox ships or Lobi consoles or any of the other BS that we have today -- back in those days the Borg were a threat .... (especially if you flew a BoP or the like) .

Back then this game was fun ! :)

Which is why you will hear from time to time ppl asking for " the old STF's " back ... --- even if they'd be only half the fun with today's power creep BS ... -- which is one of the reasons I find the idiots with parsers that came in after F2P amusing ... , thinking that they are actually doing something bad TRIBBLE with their high DPS numbers . :rolleyes:
  • Options
    verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I want to see a nightmare level of play in STF's or even in missions where the Borg are really difficult to battle and are very tough, at the moment its pretty much a walkover in ISE and it should not be that way.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Were they ever really a threat?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Obvious answer: They would have adapted to that, too. It was just too unexpected in that moment to react in time to tune their shields for it. It was a extraordinarily small collective, after all.

Borg adaption doesn't work like that, they adapt to energy weapons by matching their shield frequency to the same as the weapon being fired.

Kinetic attack don't have a frequency, hence why bullets and blades can kill them.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    belidos wrote: »
    To be honest I noticed something I found strange watching First Contact the other night, in that scene where the Borg chase Pickard and Lily into the holo-deck he uses a tommy gun to kill the Borg following him.

That's when it hit me that when he used a projectile weapon their shields didn't adapt, why the heck didn't he just replicate a ton of projectile weapons and give them to the crew instead of abandoning ship?

Maybe it's along those lines, we just figured out how to fight them better now :)

holodeck, holo emitters. you forget something?
    Obvious answer: They would have adapted to that, too. It was just too unexpected in that moment to react in time to tune their shields for it. It was a extraordinarily small collective, after all.

Regarding the OP: I agree. Borg should get a rework and be a lot, lot, lot more dangerous. For example, they should have versions of all the special console abilities their enemies have. They assimilate such stuff, after all.

Fighting a tac cube should be a 20-player-fleet action. IMNSHO.

oh not this argument again. that borg can adapt to projectile weapons or can not adapt.

as for fighting cubes, on sto it was severely dumbed down for balance sake unfortunately.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Regarding the actual gameplay, what aelfwin1 said. The game has been dumbed down massively to avoid any kind of frustration which would lead to stop playing immedeatly, appearently. Also, keep in mind they reduced the map size and blocked pathways in the early singeplayer mission during the "revamp", appearantly because the average F2P target audience cannot be expected to complete a linear level without total and utter confusion and ragequitting. Their official (BS) excuse for removing the star clusters is that new players would regularily get lost on a square shaped, empty 2d map with a single entry/exit point for crying out loud.

Regarding the in-lore Borg, you have to go back a bit. When they first appeared in TNG ("Q, Who?") the Borg were or better was a coimpletely different entity with a completely different purpose. It was their "relaunch" with First Contact and Voyager that transformed them into generic villians and basic zombie cannon fodder to catch the zombie bandwagon and new action oriented content of the franchise. While the original Borg had some kind of theme, message and consistensy in it's actions and appearance, the "new Borg" fall apart the moment they are introduced in FC (a queen that verbally adresses individual drones? A "hive mind" that forgets things and oversees stuff because mommy wasn't paying attention? A "hive mind" you can parlor with (and outwit with basic trickery)?). It was made due to the writers didn't trust the cinema audience to follow the storyline if the Borg weren't easy to grasp villians with a sexy vampire leader.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    i take your point but if you had the kind of resilliance and weaponry of a lore based cube it would be too dificult to make the game fun, theres got to be a balance between how much the game sticks to what we see in the episodes and what is achivable or playable that can feature in game.
    this means that some things in the game are only a shadow of what we see on tv otherwise it would make the game too dificult even for a team of 5 let alone a single player.

there is also the point that weapons and ships have been developed and enhanced way beyond the ships that were arround when wolf 359 occured.

That's the thing - Wolf 359 was fought with equivalents to white Mk VI/Mk VII equipment, Battle of Sector 001 with Mk VIII/ Mk IX, and now we have VR Mk XII Rep and Fleet gear.

Hence why the Borg aren't a threat anymore, they haven't kept up as they are still the Borg of Wolf 359.

Thing is Aelfwin1, all that means is the best ships of 4 years ago are an average ship today - that's just progress.

Were they ever really a threat?

I think 39 ships and 11 thousand dead is enough of an answer.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    as for fighting cubes, on sto it was severely dumbed down for balance sake unfortunately.

I thought the tweaks were made to get the STFs in line with their standards of quality? And to keep new players from being confused?

I mean, that's how the devs present it.

If I were some conspiracy theorist, I'd be all crazy and left field whacky thinking they made the borg the way they are so they could be utilized in an endless reputation grind that they then time gated.

But that's crazy talk.

The current borg manifestation in STO is all about file size, player confusion, and very high standards of quality design work by the crack unit of game developers over at Cryptic. These are the guys responsible for big timey raid content like Hamidon after all. They know end-game!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I think 39 ships and 11 thousand dead is enough of an answer.

That was ages ago. Wolf 359 was like a rag tag bunch of Connies, Cheyennes and the USS Saratoga for crying out loud. One Kar'Fi could do the same amount of damage. Let alone a Scimitar.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    That was ages ago. Wolf 359 was like a rag tag bunch of Connies, Cheyennes and the USS Saratoga for crying out loud. One Kar'Fi could do the same amount of damage. Let alone a Scimitar.

And that is exactly my point - we've progressed to a level far beyond Wolf 359. The Borg haven't.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    And that is exactly my point - we've progressed to a level far beyond Wolf 359. The Borg haven't.

Which makes absolutely no sense, mind you.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Yeah, but they were never a threat in STO.

And since Wolf 359 was like the ladies auxiliary of Starfleet I'm not even convinced they were much of a threat back then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Which makes absolutely no sense, mind you.

Well, look at the shows and movies - the Borg of Wolf 359 were just as powerful as the Borg of Sector 001, who were just as powerful as the Borg of STO.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    But just like all spacefaring species in Trek, they do know how to make force fields that stop kinetic attacks, to stop micrometeorites and such. Modifying their personal force fields so that it stops them, too, would certainly not be a big issue for them. Because if it was, all those species in the Delta Quadrat who fight them would use nothing but kinetic weapons.

You would think but that apparently doesn't seem to be the case. Look at how they are completely incapable of dealing with kinetic attacks in STO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Based on the Dyson rep cinematics, I'm kinda hoping the Borg bag themselves some Voth tech and get an upgrade.

I'd love a Wolf 359 style fleet action. 20 starships vs 1 super cube; with the odds in the Cube's favour. :cool:
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Well, look at the shows and movies - the Borg of Wolf 359 were just as powerful as the Borg of Sector 001, who were just as powerful as the Borg of STO.

Like I said, this is a fault of their rewrite. Borg were not supposed to be beaten by force or technology. FC decided they had to be villians you just have to shoot long enough. A simple example: The drone in "Q, who" adapts to the ensign attempting to touch it before he even does that with superior speed and strength. Nu-borg would just walk up to their "victims" and get shot and beaten in melee combat. What sense does that make?
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    But just like all spacefaring species in Trek, they do know how to make force fields that stop kinetic attacks, to stop micrometeorites and such. Modifying their personal force fields so that it stops them, too, would certainly not be a big issue for them. Because if it was, all those species in the Delta Quadrat who fight them would use nothing but kinetic weapons.

Yet they would have them up all the time if that were the case, they don't need to adapt to a blade, as soon as they saw Worf they should have popped their anti kinetic shields on.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    An easy fix would be to reserve the Cubes, Tac Cubes and Diamonds for boss fights and let us fight spheres and probes at every other encounter.

So you know when you encounter a cube you really are in trouble without backup.

A really well build ship might be able to deal with a cube but it should still be a struggle instead of a simple space bar spam fest.

The difference between cubes, tac cubes and diamonds could be different flavors:

Cube - AoE DPS (basically capable of fighting off multiple targets), fighting it would require splitting it's damagee between multiple targets and a good healer/cc)

Tac Cube - Tank/Spike damage (can take a lot of damage with high resistance. Doesn't do much overall damage but when it spikes the attack is best avoided all together or requires a dedicated tank plus healer)

Diamond (more or less what the diamond is now in "Hive", not much hull strength but strong shields and lots of science abilities/heals, best countered with science ships plus dps)

To fulfill the current roles of cubes and tac cubes they could diversify the spheres into tank/dps/healer with minor visual differences including a size (no reason a tank sphere could not be a bit larger and have stronger armor while a healer sphere would be smaller and speedier) and keep the probes as frigates like they are now.

That leaves the unimatrix ships which could be blown up in size a bit (to make is closer to V`ger ;)) and reserve that for a 20 ship mass aussault scenario similar to the Crystalline Entity but a bit tougher. A unimatrix would combine the different cube's abilities and remain partially operative even when certain sections are destroyed. Defeating it could require different stages where the players have to destroy special subsystems before they could blow it out of the sky.

The current unimatrix fights would be replaced with Cube fights.

If a solo story mission requires the appearance of a cube the fight is usually scripted anyway and interupted before the player ship gets destroyed or the cube ignores the player outright due to not being a threat by itself.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, but they were never a threat in STO.

And since Wolf 359 was like the ladies auxiliary of Starfleet I'm not even convinced they were much of a threat back then.

I never said they were a threat in STO - but way back when they were very first introduced in TNG, one Cube could easily have assimilated the entire Alpha Quadrant on its own. Very easily.

Timelord79 - the problem with that approach is a normal Cube IS no longer a challenge - the Borg need to improve and design new geometric monstrosities, not keep relying on Cubes which get killed too easily.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I never said they were a threat in STO - but way back when they were very first introduced in TNG, one Cube could easily have assimilated the entire Alpha Quadrant on its own. Very easily.

Nah, that was just hype. They were pretty soft and easily defeated back then. I mean seriously? Sleep? Put them to sleep? That's how you win?

Weaksauce. The Borg have always been weaksauce.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    timelord79 wrote: »
    An easy fix would be to reserve the Cubes, Tac Cubes and Diamonds for boss fights and let us fight spheres and probes at every other encounter.

Removing the cubes from the STFs would make them rather inane.

Beefing them up would make the encounters too hard for most of the players and the forums would burn down.

It's a catch 22. Cryptic devs designed this mess. And now they're stuck with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Removing the cubes from the STFs would make them rather inane.

Why, as bosses they could remain, couldn't they? The boss battle would just be harder and take a bit longer than 30 seconds.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Nah, that was just hype. They were pretty soft and easily defeated back then. I mean seriously? Sleep? Put them to sleep? That's how you win?

Weaksauce. The Borg have always been weaksauce.

And what if Data and Picard hadn't found a way to put the Cube to sleep? It would be the end of the Federation.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I suppose those shields have limits, too. They can probably only be adapted to a certain number of attack types, so they tune them for the most probable attacks at any given time. In FC, they had not considered the possibility of melee attacks coming from people who know how to build all those nice phaser toys. Also, adapting the shields takes processing time, probably depending on the number of drones in the collective... and in FC, they were only a few hundred.

The adaption takes time because they act like a bunch of processers analysing the frequencies, I don't think one drone has the computing power (or at least that's the only way it makes sense), but when the drone saw Worf with the knife he should have raised his shield immediately.

However maybe they can only have one type up at a time, kinetic or energy.

Also looking back to Picards assimilation he sets up a shield that Worf bounced off from when he tries to punch him.

#TASforSTO