What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

giving them something to close or delete...a horizon thread about PvP

thishorizonthishorizon Member Posts: 1,158
edited July 2014 in PvP Gameplay
i like PvP.

and the PvP forums!!!!!!

i wonder if this thread will get closed or deleted?

have fun kill bad guys
Post edited by thishorizon on

Comments

• Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    not if we stay on topic and play nice!

umm, the topic... a ya, i do have a favorable opinion of pvp.
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I as well enjoy pvp on the forums. It has a rightful place here... Right above Build, Powers, and Game mechanics, and right below Feature Episodes, Events and PvE content. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm calling out LORE!!! Bring it suckers! ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    whoopwhoop... i smell conspiracy! IT'S SO OBVIOUS :eek:

btw: no horizon for pewpew (or has it been the other way round?! :D;))
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    The moment anyone talks about anything which can be considered an aspect of pvp, such as ships, builds, doffs, teamwork, maps, content, or otherwise this thread'll get dumped into another forum, or deleted entirely, so I guess +1 with the meaningless 'yay pvp is pvp' stuff since we can't do anything else.
  • Options
    naz4naz4 Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Sub nuke this thread followed by a vape fast......

You shall comply!
  • Options
    oakland4lifeoakland4life Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    First this thread will be nerf'd, then shortly after Cryptic dev's will delete this thread after they remove PvP in STO and then they blame PvP'ers instead of themselfs of why PvP failed...
  • Options
    p2wsucksp2wsucks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    naz4 wrote: »
    Sub nuke this thread followed by a vape fast......

You shall comply!

OT, fyi regards to a post you had in another thread Star Citizen has Alpha Arena up now fyi. I'm still messing around w/the PvE environment until I learn how to fly the ship better. I use an underspec'd laptop and it's not too bad w/lower settings. I think the main issue is waiting for 4k resolution to hit a more economical price point, so there's no need from them to hurry at this point.

P.S. I've tossed them less $ than I did w/the lifer in this game so don't feel so bad. But, not sure why any would toss $1000s to a R&D project they know they're not going to get a RoI from.

Edit:

On Topic Forum PvP has always been one of my favorites tbh. Best PvP left in this game imo.
    [Zone] Dack@****: cowards can't take a fed 1 on 1 crinckley cowards Hahahaha you smell like flowers
    Random Quote from Kerrat
    "Sumlobus@****: your mums eat Iced Targ Poo"
    C&H Fed banter
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    p2wsucks wrote: »
    OT, fyi regards to a post you had in another thread Star Citizen has Alpha Arena up now fyi. I'm still messing around w/the PvE environment until I learn how to fly the ship better. I use an underspec'd laptop and it's not too bad w/lower settings. I think the main issue is waiting for 4k resolution to hit a more economical price point, so there's no need from them to hurry at this point.

P.S. I've tossed them less $ than I did w/the lifer in this game so don't feel so bad. But, not sure why any would toss $1000s to a R&D project they know they're not going to get a RoI from.

Edit:

On Topic Forum PvP has always been one of my favorites tbh. Best PvP left in this game imo.

Hope it does well some day bud. The only issue i got is that Elite has done far more with far less money and is in beta which is a lot more than SC....
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Hope it does well some day bud. The only issue i got is that Elite has done far more with far less money and is in beta which is a lot more than SC....

Compare them when the SC beta is done. Not right now. Multiplayer is already opening up to 200k users. Will add more, it's just a stress test atm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I'm thinking of investment in game vs actual current content. Weren't they both started at the same time?

The bang for buck is definitely with Elite right now.
  • Options
    therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Sounds funny but, the first 30 seconds of my first glimpse at Elite Dangerous made me more excited then all the stuff SC had thrown on me so far. I might be totally wrong too but the more i watch those community videos and 10 for the chairman the more i see something is wrong with all of it.

Sandi pretends like she cares about the game at all but you can see from certain behavior and face expressions shed rather be back modelling and going to the catwalk.

I didnt even know about this Elite game's existence until now! o.O

OMG
    i see wannabe phaser beams LOL gonna make a new elite faw beam boat :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I'm thinking of investment in game vs actual current content. Weren't they both started at the same time?

The bang for buck is definitely with Elite right now.

Nothing against Elite, but the potential quality of Star Citizen is a much higher bar which is why I brought up 4k resolution as an example. To your point Elite may end being the more fun game with an earlier release since it's not as beholden to the "physics" et al Star Citizen is aiming for. But, again in terms of quality goals even in just FX they're not in the same ballpark. A rough analogy would be to compare this game circa just before Season 5 compared to EvE Online in breath and depth and even just visual Scale and Warp FX.

Edit: Tbh I think Elite may have started crowd funding after.
    [Zone] Dack@****: cowards can't take a fed 1 on 1 crinckley cowards Hahahaha you smell like flowers
    Random Quote from Kerrat
    C&H Fed banter
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I am not really excited about either game at this point. Give me a finished product that is good and I'm all in. Until then don't even pretend to ask me to register... give you money... or TIP you. Sc**w off frankly.... you'll get my money when you have a product. It isn't that hard to talk rich people into bankrolling your product (If its good)... if not perhaps there is something they know that a bunch of morons on the internet willing to open there wallet cause someone made a cool game back in 1984 or 1990 do not.

I buy finished product... not infrastructure for some old game dude... who SHOULD be putting up his own money. I mean as bad as the movie was... what did he do with the pay day blow it on Coke... a cola and lady friends ? He should have had enough capital of his own to get the ball rolling on matching investments from some industry investors. If he didn't he either didn't put up his own $ or his plan was plain bad. After the initial kick starter the $ grab should have ended there. He claimed he needed proof there was a market for the game style... that's cool I understand that. He claimed once that happened his "investors" had agreed to step up and make things happen. Instead they start selling more and more product that doesn't exist. To me it sounds like a fantastic vapor ware scam. Create something just good enough to be viable so they don't have to worry about to much legal fall out when they drag it on for 5 years and release nothing real.

I hope SC happens I do... but until it does its 100% vapor ware. People throwing there money at them are silly. If the game is solid investment is not an issue. Sell the product when you have an actual real launch date.

That they are promising things like revolutionary physics and gfx for SC just makes my bs Vapor ware detecting antennae tweak all the more.

Elite I don't know at least it looks like it will be an actual shipping product. Doesn't seem they are over promising to much... although I somehow doubt a 1 billion world sandbox is going to be a reality there. :)

Oh by the way... my kickstart starts soon info to follow. I plan to bring out a Xbox/Ps3/PC gaming killer box. It will be 3in/3in/3in have 4k GFX with full 16x super sampling for no jaggies on antyhing... it will play any Windows / Linux game... have 12.1 surround sound, wireless thought interface controllers... and be fully oculus rift capable. Of course if we reach our stretch goal of 10 million we will be able to add 2 USB ports in a break out box style hock up for those of us addicted to keyboard and mouse style games. Anyway like I say info to follow. lol

"There's a sucker born every minute." - David Hannum
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I've spent about the cost of an AAA-level game in that game atm.

It's not a huge risk at all considering I can play it, and will be play to spar against my guys very soon. From what I've tested in the singleplayer test, it is very fun.

I saw Elite, and nothing about it impressed me. Certainly not to put money into it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I believe Elite Dangerous started planning and initial development before Star Citizen's kickstarter.

Also the problem for Star Citizen is a lot of the systems/mechanics are complex and intertwined. There's the single seater fighters (which are being used in the arena commander module to test the flight model), the multicrew ships (whereby you start having ships with their own gravity, separate command consoles, crew privileges, escape pods), the capital ships (more complex systems) and the "ground" combat mechanics (for boarding other ships, searching derelicts etc).

If each ship was a simple player avatar it wouldn't be a problem and the game would likely have been entering beta by now. Of course then we wouldn't be able to walk across a 1000m long carrier.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Roberts used to talk like he wants SC to be a movie that you walk around in. So he talks about things like, waving to your buddy in a fighter from the command deck of a carrier, and you see each other in real-time, or rendering individual droplets of water in the restroom shower. And it will have space combat and ground and all the other stuff. He's going for Epic. This is always what scared me about it, the amount of overreach with no budget, could be awesome could be blowing your hands off with dynamite

AFAIK, Elite is happy to be a space shooter/exploration type game with updated systems and graphics.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Roberts used to talk like he wants SC to be a movie that you walk around in. So he talks about things like, waving to your buddy in a fighter from the command deck of a carrier, and you see each other in real-time, or rendering individual droplets of water in the restroom shower. And it will have space combat and ground and all the other stuff. He's going for Epic. This is always what scared me about it, the amount of overreach with no budget, could be awesome could be blowing your hands off with dynamite

AFAIK, Elite is happy to be a space shooter/exploration type game with updated systems and graphics.

I have heard him say in interviews that it bothers him how bad a job he did with the WC movie. He would do it different ect ect.

Hes going to overreach on SC hard... and come up real short. That's how I see it. He may have great intentions... or he may also just be a complete scam artist. haha

I mean lets all be realistic... the first WC was made for peanuts, and with a fraction of the size a team you need to do something like they are trying to do now with SC. He was also not the money man. Origin took care of budgets and the like.

Now there at what something like 38 Million and plan to raise 50 Million to make this thing. Its just stupid... what is hilarious and stupid about the entire thing... is its NOT investment money folks. Your DONATING to them. If they fail they keep your money... If they don't fail they keep your investment and continue to SELL you stuff and make money not having to repay any investors or share profits with a publishing co. Freaking great deal for them. lol Yes anyone that has contributed to that model is a massive sucker.

50 million is twice the budget of the WC movie... WC III had a 12 MILLION dollar budget, of course they spent most of that hiring Mark H and Malcom M.

I'll hand it to Roberts though... he has came up with a great scam to keep himself working a very high paying job for the next 5-10 years or how ever long he can stretch this out. The real beauty of the entire thing... he has suckered you all into paying his and 40 of his friends wages for the next number of years and they have no boss. Just wait this thing is going ot be funding drive after funding drive. 48 million funding goal today... they will need another 10-20 million next year just wait.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014

It's a 30-40 dollar game to play singleplayer and multiplayer pew. Even it just had instanced PvP, I would be happy. The persistent universe is a cherry on top.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    snoge00f wrote: »
    It's a 30-40 dollar game to play singleplayer and multiplayer pew. Even it just had instanced PvP, I would be happy. The persistent universe is a cherry on top.

If any of that happens, including the single player game I will be shocked honestly.

Most games get made first and then the dev tries to charge you 30-40 bucks... not charge you 30-40 bucks so you can wait 3-5 years for the game you paid for.

I also doubt anyone that thinks they are already bought in are done paying. Even IF roberts manages to get the single player game out... they are going to have to charge people... or ask for more donations so they can complete the "next phase". It will be a non stop money pit.

Most games get investment behind them first... so that when you purchase a finished game they get there investment back... and people like Roberts get some fat bonus money when things go well. This model is all just $ in his pocket up front. Cloud Imperium his new studio paid for with customer donations. I'll call it now... in a year he will release some super alpha "first 10 missions" type single player thing... and try to drive another 10-20 mil... a year after that he will announce that the development of SC has fallen a part and been canceled. Short after that he will sell Cloud Imperium to someone like EA for a boat load of $.... and retire from the game industry. He will then dabble producing movies (which is what he has been doing since his WC film) heck he might even buy his way into a directors chair again. Just wait SC the movie. lol

I'll leave it alone now... it just bothers me that this guy has traded on the WC name to get so many fellows of my generation to throw money at him. He has been able to found a pretty sizable game development co with ZERO money of his own... and ZERO being the number of investors he needs to repay. Dude has pretty much gotten a 48 Million dollar gift to start a company. Insane.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I really do wish for all the best with SC

BUT if it does turn out to be a scam, the thing that would TRIBBLE me off the most is that it would ruin it for the future developers who actually want to create a game via crowd funding and not get the crowd funding required due to potential historic events.

I would also not want to be in the shoes of the guy who dropped £$£$£$'s on vaper ware.

Seriously though, look at it objectively as a timeline of events. Is the actual to date funding directly proportional to the current state of the product? 50 million for 1 module in alpha?

I bet John Carmack could have created a whole new custom engine, and a far better "hangar module" for less than 5 million in less than a year by himself (with full oculus rift support to boot :p)

Hell, I would have used that money to buy out Cryptic, sack the scarf and shoe designers for STO, and rebuild PvP which would be the envy of the MMO industry with a franchise renowned world over. I'd make it that good that CBS would cancel the next Trek film just to fund a whole era for STO.

Only if.....
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I bet John Carmack could have created a whole new custom engine, and a far better "hangar module" for less than 5 million in less than a year by himself (with full oculus rift support to boot :p)

haha made me laugh hard there.

Its a good point though... I am still not really getting what it is he is doing with 50 million. Granted it is likely costing them 1-2 million to licence the Crytek engine. So ya I hope there is 48 million worth of art assets in this thing. lol Perhaps he can set aside 12 million of that to hire Mark Hamill again. :)

I hope SC turns into something cool as well. I was pumped when I first heard about it and the first round of crowd funding I thought ya cool I like this and perhaps some games I would like to play will get made. The more I think about it though and as time stretches on and one stretch goal turns into the next... and now they are asinine enough to be counting down to a 50 million dollar funding goal. I can't help but get a bit mad about it. (and its not even my money... friends of mine are dropping to much but not I) It annoys me on the simple fact that as much as this is just fun for us its still a BIG business. After raising close to 50 million it should be no issues at all for Roberts to go and get any more money he needs from investors or frankly even a bank.

Unless hes giving you a share certificate don't GIVE him another dime folks.

I think I have a great idea for a new crowd funding project. I need funding for the Husanak Eatery... we are going to feature burgers so natural and fantastic that you will never go to another fast food chain again. I just need to hit 10 million to get all the designers and food techs hired. If we can hit 12 million I can open a kiddy ball room for your rug rats when you come to eat... 14 million we'll get the coolest mascot you can imagine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    haha made me laugh hard there.

Its a good point though... I am still not really getting what it is he is doing with 50 million. Granted it is likely costing them 1-2 million to licence the Crytek engine. So ya I hope there is 48 million worth of art assets in this thing. lol Perhaps he can set aside 12 million of that to hire Mark Hamill again. :)

I hope SC turns into something cool as well. I was pumped when I first heard about it and the first round of crowd funding I thought ya cool I like this and perhaps some games I would like to play will get made. The more I think about it though and as time stretches on and one stretch goal turns into the next... and now they are asinine enough to be counting down to a 50 million dollar funding goal. I can't help but get a bit mad about it. (and its not even my money... friends of mine are dropping to much but not I) It annoys me on the simple fact that as much as this is just fun for us its still a BIG business. After raising close to 50 million it should be no issues at all for Roberts to go and get any more money he needs from investors or frankly even a bank.

Unless hes giving you a share certificate don't GIVE him another dime folks.

I think I have a great idea for a new crowd funding project. I need funding for the Husanak Eatery... we are going to feature burgers so natural and fantastic that you will never go to another fast food chain again. I just need to hit 10 million to get all the designers and food techs hired. If we can hit 12 million I can open a kiddy ball room for your rug rats when you come to eat... 14 million we'll get the coolest mascot you can imagine.

I can see it needing 7 figures for initial development and "Go Live" capital expenses on infrastructure (server/networking/security/load balancing appliances). Then they'll need to park $ for re-occuring costs (leases/IPS PIPs/maintenance contracts/licensing etc). They'll need a budget to rollover future infrastructure etc. Keep in mind as involved as the game is they'll need a relatively larger scaled infrastructure set then many MMOs that aren't as sophisticated use.

Also, I wouldn't be as loose w/categorizing it as vapor ware. They do have Alpha PvE and PvP available for testing (tried both and I'm horrid/clueless atm). They also have rough timelines out there as well.

While in general I agree there should and will be more product shown before I'd even consider tossing them more than the $62 I did a little under 2 years ago, I have to strongly disagree on the crowd funding reliance. I'd much rather have the direct line it provides between consumers and producers than adding outside shareholders/debtors into the mix. As far as "consumers" continuing to toss $ w/o results ... a fool and their $ ... (no insult intended).
    Random Quote from Kerrat
    C&H Fed banter
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yeah the development costs are a big issue. They have something like 200-250 programmers crunching away.

Supposedly the average programmer wage is $80,000 per annum.

250 x 80,000 = $20m per year at the current amount of staff.

That's not even including the cost for the equipment, servers, bills etc.

So yeah, that 47m isn't really all that much as far as AAA game development is concerned (which is what SC's aiming for, being an AAA game on the PC).
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse