test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is STO Coming to XBOX One?

cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
According to this article over at WPCentral, some Perfect World titles available on the PC are available on the XBOX One in China. I wonder how long it will take them to be released on the XBOX One regions around the world and will it include Star Trek Online?
<
> <
> <
>
Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
Post edited by cookiecrook on

Comments

• conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    They would have to completely redo the control scheme and massively reduce the number of hotkey abilities.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I recall talk about PWE going to consoles around the time Sthal left. And led to speculation that he was involved with the project.
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    They would have to completely redo the control scheme and massively reduce the number of hotkey abilities.

STO already plays fine on an XBOX 360 controller so I don't think that is a huge issue.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Here is another article saying that they will be porting titles to consoles.

It does not say which though. Really, I think the biggest issue isn't the control scheme, but rather them trying to figure out how to implement Arc into consoles.

On a side note I find it kind of funny that the author of the article the OP referenced is complaining about Neverwinter being ported so soon to the Xbone, saying that it's hastily done. I doubt they've ever once played the game, It seems to me to be designed with a controller in mind...
    y1arXbh.png

• zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    STO already plays fine on an XBOX 360 controller so I don't think that is a huge issue.

Issue would be mostly like when stahl talked about a neverwinter team member wanting to port a bunch of their stuff to sto. He stated he told the person there are just too many powers and items involved for it work for sto. Plus most ppl don't even use that shooter mode that you are forced to use on neverwinter although for xbox players they wouldn't have a problem with that but I doubt its ever going to be where sto goes on a platform lol. Like some have said it would require so much work and then all these ppl who never played this game would be horrified at all the glitches and bugs not to mention poor design and development that has occurred in this game.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I recall talk about PWE going to consoles around the time Sthal left. And led to speculation that he was involved with the project.

Stahl left AGAIN ?

ROFL
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Stahl left AGAIN ?

ROFL

He left the STO team this time to go work on another unnamed project.

As for this I'm not shocked. This was announced awhile back that they are working to port some of their catalog to xbox one/playstation 4, so it's not surprising NW got done first. Hell, Champs was designed and set to go for xbox 360 so it probably didn't take much to bounce their engine up to xbox one.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• t0xsick2t0xsick2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The influx of console kids used to their CoD and GT:V is what would worry me
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    t0xsick2 wrote: »

You think the console peasants from the [theoretical] X-Box One port of STO will use Holodeck where the PC Master Gamers dwell?

We all know Cryptic has done a fantastic job in dumbing the game down -- so I'd actually wager they'll use an entirely different shard designed specifically for said filthy console peasants.

Maybe call it the 'Pakled' shard.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Those CoD kids would laugh their butts off at the STO combat system. Maybe you should try playing CoD before you knock the players.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I can easily see Neverwinter being made into an Xbox One MMO due to its simple control system, but STO's control scheme is too complex.
  • daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'll sell all my stock in PWI and abandon all hope if they waste valuable resources on a withering market.

right now the seasons for console growth is good, plenty of healthy vines for the fruit to bloom from.

however by the time this game is ready for the consoles, the vines would be withered.

It'd take years to fix this game properly, and by then the "Steambox" concept of consoles will replace the way consoles are now, only difference is the Xbox and Playstation consoles would be more Operating Systems to work universally on generic PC Consoles.

that or the Steambox would defy all belief and actually succeed better than intended.

but I cannot support STO if it wasted the valuable resources and personnel on a futile attempt at gaining a temporary boost in players, when those resources could be better used to improve and fix this still half deformed MMO.
  • t0xsick2t0xsick2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Those CoD kids would laugh their butts off at the STO combat system. Maybe you should try playing CoD before you knock the players.

I have. most of them are immature lil douche bags
    edited July 2014
    I have. most of them are immature lil douche bags

seconded...I fumed with smoke today because the gerbil in my head couldn't work hard enough when he heard one of these little Dbags think they were better than trained military personel and spoke some primitive form of what he referred to as "military speak"...it was just jibberish that sounded like what a squad leader would say in a combat situation.

keep in mind this was all heard via my neighbors kid.
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Since I am done with console because they no longer us backwards compatibility, I don't really keep up with it.

However, I was curious why a lot of people say that Neverwinter is designed for a controller. It doesn't even have controller support built into the game. I need to used another program to play it with the controller.

Also, the combat on ground is not as smooth as STO's ground combat.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    After a role of a lifetime I can't wait for my downtime here I go getting stuck in a wall...

or here I can watch tv and get this map manager bug lol.

Oh yes can't wait for some celebrity to do a commercial for STO... lol

Then play it on you tube for months as your only commercial rofl.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    According to this article over at WPCentral, some Perfect World titles available on the PC are available on the XBOX One in China. I wonder how long it will take them to be released on the XBOX One regions around the world and will it include Star Trek Online?

i cant see it happening. the whole engine would need to be rebuilt from the ground up to support the console and the gamepad, if the game did come it would be online as the game title suggests obviously. so it would mean the servers would need to be altered to accept console default files downloaded and verified to make sure there is no mismatch causing errors between the pc users and console users. it would also mean hiring a lot more people to deal with the whole complicated process for a few years and then extra mods and devs to police the console areas and work besides the main dev team to bring out the same content stuff. its all very complicated not to mention time consuming and very expensive.

it would simply be easier and cheaper to build a new game with pc and console support ability so that way one can be backended and reverse engineered for a port to the other at some point, but if that is the case the pc version would be very limited to work with as far as content and capability will be concerned. PWE would be far better off creating separate lines of games, one for pc, another for xbone and then ps4, not only to get the experience of building these games but a good idea for the future of how to get the whole thing to work together while using the profits from these console and pc games profits to fuel the effort on the pc/console supported engine one day, one that would show how the other big names should do it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    There is some support already, its clear the engine can handle it but STO UI certainly doesnt and either does the mechanics would work in a gamepad due to the amount of abilities.

Neverwinter ... yes because its designed in a way with minimum amount of buttons and its entirely run off hotkeys.

the engine limits are already clear for anyone to see, the devs have reached their own limits with it a few times, aka no 3rd (proper) faction. nw is a different story, co and sto run the 2nd version of the engine the 1st version was ran off CoH before that sank last year. nw is newer and an upgraded engine and it was designed with the capabilities for console support based on what information is out there, im not gonna state a load of TRIBBLE without anything to substantiate if the nw and sto engine are even compatible, only the devs can give that answer, but assuming no, then the 2nd engine clearly has no further point as an option to PWE and likely left to the devs to try make off what they can before they completely run out of ideas. if yes, then what exactly would be needed to upgrade (nerf?) the engine to get the whole thing to work? how will it impact pc players and what are the draw backs for console users.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    the engine limits are already clear for anyone to see, the devs have reached their own limits with it a few times, aka no 3rd (proper) faction.

That's so clearly not an engine limit. It was a conscious design intention to:

1) Avoid needing to triple the number of PvP queues
    2) Allow the re-use of existing content
    3) Allow future content to be created quicker

I mean think about what we have at the moment, faction-wise and how it's more complicated than just a straight up Red/Blue/Green split:
    Fed, KDF, Rom (prior to choosing ally), Rom (Fed aligned), Rom (KDF aligned).

Seriously, what nonsense are you spouting that the engine couldn't support a new faction??
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Console users want to play a game without any interaction with keyboard or anything else. In STO its impossible to play that way because you always will need to activate some skills or somethng else using the keyboard or the mouse. That is not possible for someone playing in a xbox. Or at least for someone who only wants to play using the gamepad...

If STO is ported to console, it will be a different game, thats for sure, and a lot of features will be not present. But i find this really hard to believe. First they need to "FIX" the game for the pcs, then to port em to the console. OR do you think seriously that they will port a game plagued by bugs and gameplay fails to a console?? i dont think so. Not even in a long shot.

Not to mention the limit of the game engine handling stuff. In the console will be even worst.. lol. I just cant imagine STO being in a console system.. i cant lol. Imagine playing in a console game with the same (and probably more) fails , bugs and engine limits that we are already suffering in our computers lol. That will be a total joke xD.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited July 2014

We have already inherited the PC version of said life form (parsers and all) , and they live nice and well in their high DPS channels and PVP . :cool:

How much worse can it get ? :)
    I somehow seriously doubt that what passes for "endgame" in STO would be of much interest to these folks .
    The time-gated-everything alone would just strain their patience ... , not to mention that better ships in STO cost at least as much as half of their games .
    edited July 2014
    My only concern with having STO on two platforms is dividing the already tiny development team between fixing bugs for the PC and fixing bugs for the XBOX One. With bugs older than the launch of the game still around, I'm thinking it would further slow the release of everything, whether bug fixes, new content, and Z-Store items.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Current tech and what's available for fixing these issues might not be available or limited. Coding is vast and programmers must be worked so hard trying to traces these issues. XBOX STO sounds fun but I'll stick to the STO PC..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My only concern with having STO on two platforms is dividing the already tiny development team between fixing bugs for the PC and fixing bugs for the XBOX One. With bugs older than the launch of the game still around, I'm thinking it would further slow the release of everything, whether bug fixes, new content, and Z-Store items.

Well, we are assuming that if they port the game for the consoles, they NEED to increase the number of their workers. They definitely cant do it if they are not willing to hire more workers. SO, no. There will be not STO for xbox. Fastest way to say it.
  • havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    STO doesn't need a keyboard/mouse for anything other than chatting. Everything can be hotkeyed.

The only difference is that in STO you have to setup your keybinds manually. There are plenty of helpful guides around this forum on how to do it. Then there's always emulation software like Xpadder and Joy2Key.

STO won't go to XB1 unless the entire ARC catalog is going, it has far more to due with marketing/profits than it does with what's technically feasable. I mean if it runs on windows, it'll run on XB1.
    edited July 2014
    why is it that people think Controller support = No Problamo for Porting?

It took them three years to port STO to Mac.....what makes you think it will be easier for a limiting console?

BTW they can add much better controller support in the form of a power wheel, that can solve the power problems.

I only say this becuase I need better controller support to use my N-SHIELD
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    sle1989 wrote: »
    It does not say which though. Really, I think the biggest issue isn't the control scheme, but rather them trying to figure out how to implement Arc into consoles.

Why? They didn't port Arc to the Mac. (Also, I'm not sure that MS would be happy with them porting Arc to XBone.) It would require a different shard, at least for the XBone because MS doesn't want them playing with people on other platforms.
    edited July 2014
    why is it that people think Controller support = No Problamo for Porting?

It took them three years to port STO to Mac.....what makes you think it will be easier for a limiting console?

BTW they can add much better controller support in the form of a power wheel, that can solve the power problems.

I only say this becuase I need better controller support to use my N-SHIELD

The XBOX One is basically Windows RT with a custom UI. Like someone stated in here already. if it will run on Windows, it will pretty much run on the XBOX One. With a Mac or even Linux, the code is very different.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >