edited June 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    "Captain, sensors indicate extreme levels of trollbait in this vicinity."

"On screen."

"Magnify."

"...My God."

oh...HAHAHAHHAHAHA....that was great :D *continues laughing*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    kestrelliuskestrellius Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    This one does not know what those "furries" are supposed to be? People jealous of Khajiit's glorious manes? Khajiit has no time for this. Go bother somebody else.

Just now noticed this. :D:D:D Keep at it, M'aiq, old friend.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Just now noticed this. :D:D:D Keep at it, M'aiq, old friend.

If I'm ever bored enough to buy the Caitians, my one Caitian character would be M'aiq the Liar, and he would only communicate in M'aiq-style statements.
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tremere12 wrote: »
    If we have stupid cats, why not get a wolf-like race like in the wizardry games? That would blow my mind. I dunno if there's such a thing in the canon, but who cares about canon right?

Dont you dare to insult those amazing creatures!. Dont you dare!! :mad::P

Some games have dog based characters, STO has cat based characters. Period.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    no ty on want to turn sto into wow with worgen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If we have stupid cats, why not get a wolf-like race like in the wizardry games? That would blow my mind. I dunno if there's such a thing in the canon, but who cares about canon right?

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Antican

That's as close to wolf we got in Star Trek canon.
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Obvious Troll Is Obvious.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    setheweavilesetheweavile Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Funny thing, and really I kinda hate to encourage, but there are two established canine races in Star Trek. THey are as follows;

Anticans and Fenrisals

Though I doubt either will get a place in the game (unless a Breen Confederacy playable faction comes along...).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom

The biggest issue are those who are super extreme with this stuff...causing a lot of the stereotyping that occurs.

Isn't Wikipedia so much fun, I love the way that article credits the start of "furries" to a convention in the 80's, yet with just a small amount of research it's plainly obvious that people have been dressing up as anthropomorphic animals for thousands of years.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    belidos wrote: »
    Isn't Wikipedia so much fun, I love the way that article credits the start of "furries" to a convention in the 80's, yet with just a small amount of research it's plainly obvious that people have been dressing up as anthropomorphic animals for thousands of years.

Yeah but fandom and fetish aren't the same as ceremony and religion. Depictions of animal characters in mythos may stretch back to humankind's earliest rituals, but dressing up as an anthropomorphic cartoon dog is relatively new.
    The only canon argument anyone should be concerned with, is the tetryon one I have aimed at your ship.

No.

We'll give you Anticans for the RR. Because they're a canon race, and yes, because it would be fair for Roms to get a Furry race. We'll even give you a better natural bluish tint for Gorn, because that's not really stretching it too far.

But you can't just ignore canon. I refuse to accept your assertion that canon is immaterial to the matter simply to fulfill your disassociation with your own species.
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yeah but fandom and fetish aren't the same as ceremony and religion. Depictions of animal characters in mythos may stretch back to humankind's earliest rituals, but dressing up as an anthropomorphic cartoon dog is relatively new.

True, but even though, it can't be attributed to the 80's, I've so far been able to find photographs of people dressed as animals for "fun" as far back as the late 1800's/early 1900's.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xUVtf_qt-_g/TrB2FfryTYI/AAAAAAAAApw/CSpB__1CV0A/s640/imagesCAL6VOGU.jpg (early 1900's)
    http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/5c/9e/fa/5c9efa8ae25478baee90624fb5771c46.jpg (1930's)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    belidos wrote: »
    True, but even though, it can't be attributed to the 80's, I've so far been able to find photographs of people dressed as animals for "fun" as far back as the late 1800's/early 1900's.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xUVtf_qt-_g/TrB2FfryTYI/AAAAAAAAApw/CSpB__1CV0A/s640/imagesCAL6VOGU.jpg (early 1900's)
    http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/5c/9e/fa/5c9efa8ae25478baee90624fb5771c46.jpg (1930's)

them look like kids maybe trick or treating ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Funny thing, and really I kinda hate to encourage, but there are two established canine races in Star Trek. THey are as follows;

Anticans and Fenrisals

Though I doubt either will get a place in the game (unless a Breen Confederacy playable faction comes along...).

"Fenrisals" are not established, they were mentioned in a novel which means they are pretty much "fanon" and non existant in the IP. That does not mean Cryptic couldn't pick up the idea if they were to get the novel's license.

@ topic: I say yes to anticans, selay and more non-humanoid body options for caitians, fere... whatever KDF cats are called and tellarites as in digitigrade legs, paws/hooves and claws. But just making up new anthropomorphed animal races because other franchises have those doesn't feel right for a star trek game. But if it was up to debate: I want space cows! :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014

No.

We'll give you Anticans for the RR. Because they're a canon race, and yes, because it would be fair for Roms to get a Furry race. We'll even give you a better natural bluish tint for Gorn, because that's not really stretching it too far.

But you can't just ignore canon. I refuse to accept your assertion that canon is immaterial to the matter simply to fulfill your disassociation with your own species.

Now if we are only going to say that canon races should be in the game. Then the alien generation section should be pulled and all those who rolled them converted to humans or Klingons. Because every one of those 'aliens' is non-canon.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    them look like kids maybe trick or treating ?

By internet logic, they must be furries.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I want the ability to create beings that looks like pigs so that I can spoof the old Muppet Show vignette "Pigs In Space".
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Is that so. Then kindly explain why each faction has the option to create thousands of NON-CANON races using the Aliens character template. :rolleyes:

Because those are generic "aliens", background actors so to speak. Creating an entire race template however is something different. Right now there are only canon races playable if I'm not overlooking something (Ferasans are supposed to be Kzinti and as such canon, albeit loosely interpreted). Being a Star Trek game this is a reasonable basis. You can create "unlabeled" aliens as much as you like, this is a nod to the vast number of rubberhead aliens Star Trek used as well, but putting a non-canon race in the line-up would be out of place.
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    I want the ability to create beings that looks like pigs so that I can spoof the old Muppet Show vignette "Pigs In Space".

As much as I'd love star pigs, I guess Tellarites are as close as you can get. At least the all-Tellarite crew of my "USS Sus Stellaris" (should translate to "Star Pig" or "Pig from the Stars") come quite close :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I wouldn't mind parts to make anticans (and Selay's) being added, they sound quite cool and both look distiinctive.
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tenkari wrote: »
    ... some aliens i've seen are just hideous.
    I'd bet those aliens probably think *we* look pretty hideous.

Oh wait, you meant in the game. Um... never mind? ;)

Seriously, it is a limitation of Trek that the actors are human, therefore all of the aliens are all basically humans with some makeup and padding. STO isn't necessarily limited that way, but programming anything other than humanoid-ish is a large undertaking. I haven't paid enough attention - did they bother trying the whole 'dogleg' look for the Ferasan/Caitian models?

Anyway, I'd love to see more non-anthropomorphic races available. It'd be fun to play, say, a Horta. (trait: no_hands, trait: acid_spray) Or some of the races in the novels, such as the Deirr. But it won't happen - way too much programming for not enough payoff.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    feiqa wrote: »
    Now if we are only going to say that canon races should be in the game. Then the alien generation section should be pulled and all those who rolled them converted to humans or Klingons. Because every one of those 'aliens' is non-canon.
    Is that so. Then kindly explain why each faction has the option to create thousands of NON-CANON races using the Aliens character template. :rolleyes:

Your responses are knee-jerk reactions and suggest to me that both of you failed in your comprehension of what I wrote.

The context of this thread is the addition of a new playable race. I asserted that any new playable race added should be drawn from canon, not made up.

Nowhere did I suggest that aliengen being non-canon should be grounds for it being pulled from the game. I did not phrase my assertion in a way to even begin to suggest that non-canon races be purged from the game. Don't be stupid.
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Technically CBS gets a bit huffy about SOME canon things but they do not seem to care about other massive canon breaking things. *cough*lockboxships*cough*

That virus I got from that Cardassian attache' is nasty...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, CBS is a real PITA.

im still mad at CBS for no T5 connie :D :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Anticans could work!
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    how many here even think cryptic going to add a new playable species?!?!?!! think back to the last one added think it was cat ppl
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    how many here even think cryptic going to add a new playable species?!?!?!! think back to the last one added think it was cat ppl

The last species added were Romulans, Remans, and Romulan Borg.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    Anticans could work!

Never was a Fan of the Anticans, but Badar N'D'D was a very good looking one, he has a face of greatness.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    The last species added were Romulans, Remans, and Romulan Borg.

thats a faction not what i was talking about i said playable species like the cat ppl................... you know the ones in your sig as they were not part of the game when it came out they were a Cstore playable species...............

had to put it in red!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead