test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Skill respec open letter

Comments

• dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Just for the ones with LTS. I think across my 8 toons I have respected twice, some how I have managed.

Is content able to be completed without any skill points? Yes

Does a properly optimized build provide an advantage in said build's target content? Yes

Your point? Irrelevant

Edit: damn auto correct
    And there's the entirety of the "reduce the price" faction's argument.

One person who immediately said he was kidding and thought a buy 1 get one free would be free...you sir, should l2read.

And try not to misquote people...it's rather rude
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You don't? Let's look again:

-facepalm-

Reading is Fundamental. :rolleyes:

To me, that came across as a joke, or sarcasm. However, if you also look at the rest of it, that was not made into bold red print, ("But I want it free . . . Anyway, maybe a discounted respect at level 50 . . . Buy one get one free?") they did say "maybe a discount, or buy one get one free."

This shows that even if they were serious about wanting it free, they are still willing to buy it, if it was more reasonably priced.

Would I like for every respec I ever want to be free? Most definitely. In fact, I would like everything in the game to be free. How many free giveaways have the developers offered you that you turned down? If you did, why did you?

People (in general) do like free things. That is a fact. However, just because some of us might want the respec for free, but it doesn't mean we are asking that, just because we ask for it to be priced more reasonably for what you get.

There is a difference in asking for something to be free, and asking for it to be reduced in price to more closely reflect it's value.

If you look at asking for a discount as those players being in the group that think they should be entitled to getting everything free, then I ask this:

What about the players that were asking for the rep system to be changed, so that it was quicker, or easier for their alts? According to your line of thinking, they were in the "I want it free" group. Therefore, it shouldn't have happened.

Yet, it did. And we ALL benefit from the REDUCED cost of running the rep system on our alts.

Same here, a few of us are simply asking that the cost of something be reduced. Not that every respec be made free, but that it be reduced. If they do, then everyone, even those that don't support the reduced cost can benefit from it.

Would you not take advantage of it, if it was reduced, and you had a character you would like to respec? Or would you not use it, just because it was reduced in price? How about the sponcership system for the rep system? Do you use it for the discount you can now get on your alts? Or do you run the rep systems on them without using it, because you didn't want the cost reduced?
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's $25 to respec on ddo and $20 to even get a name change. STO is incredibly cheap compared to other MMOs. For the 2 and a half years I've been playing STO, I've only needed to respec twice. That's why I've I don't buy many. Not because it's too darn expensive, but because I've only needed two.
    edited June 2014
    So, just over 24 hours and we have 80 posts, 1200 views. Vast majority of posters are for the idea, good chunk of players are neither opposed nor for the idea but would enjoy the service and a bit of minority are against due to it being "pointless"

I would say it has enough traction to get the devs to mention it at a meeting or something. Probably not enough to get them to changed it outright. At least they can do some cost analysis and decide if cheaper respecs would result in more revenue.

Thanks to all that are posting, including the minority.

• feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    noblet wrote: »
    Perhaps it has to do with it being sold at a ripoff price? Charge what it's actually worth, and maybe it'll actually sell. And no, the consumer decides what it's worth, not supplier.:P

Okay I was reading through here and waiting for you to be called on it.

No the customer does not set the price. You do not go to a grocery store and tell them how much you will pay for a loaf of bread. You pay what they say or don't buy. That is the only options.
    When people are given a pay what you think this is worth option they try and take the item for free or demand coin for taking it. So I can't stand by that statement.

Now that I have that off my chest.
    If this item does not sell, but there does seem to be some demand. Then lowering the price may move some extra coin to the company. My suggestion would be run a sale and see how well a lower price does.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
    edited June 2014
    feiqa wrote: »
    Okay I was reading through here and waiting for you to be called on it.

No the customer does not set the price. You do not go to a grocery store and tell them how much you will pay for a loaf of bread. You pay what they say or don't buy. That is the only options.
    When people are given a pay what you think this is worth option they try and take the item for free or demand coin for taking it. So I can't stand by that statement.

Now that I have that off my chest.
    If this item does not sell, but there does seem to be some demand. Then lowering the price may move some extra coin to the company. My suggestion would be run a sale and see how well a lower price does.

Law of supply and demand. The customer is the deciding factor in how much goods are sold for. Lots of supply but no demand, the price should come down.

Since Cryptic has an infinite amount of skill respecs to sell, and that the 500 price tag has led to poor sales, a reduction should have happened a long time ago

• jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited June 2014
    skill respecs are a huge cash cow for the company

nuff said.........
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • xanderkentxanderkent Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think it would be both helpful to the player base and make players feel like their opinion matters if the developers would respond to posts likes this. Good, bad, or indifferent.

I understand ignoring the BS posts about this or that sucks and when can I get an I win button, T5 constitution, galaxy revamp, etc. They're running a business, I run a business so I get it. However, I run a business and I have to respond somehow to reasonable requests from my curtomers. I think this thread qualifies.
    If you set a man a fire he will be warm for a night. If you a man on fire he will be warm for the rest of his life.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I respect you dahminus and this is something that's been on my mind as well. I spent a lot of time researching the Wiki and the forums before rolling my character. Since then, I have learned a lot more and the game has been tweaked since I started. I have a better plan now.

+1
    edited June 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »

nuff said.........

Except multiple people have said it was not what the dev's were expecting. When I find it I'll edit it in to the OP

• thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »

nuff said.........

I just buy a half price time card for 60 days game time, $10 worth of Zen, and a respec for every rank I gain when I decide to go run around on non-VA captains.

I've done that twice now so I have the 100 day respec for everyone as well.

If they were just 100 zen I'd buy them as necessary instead of minimizing my need to pay money or time for them.

Generally if I want to fly a new ship that needs a respec I just make a new captain for it as slots are cheaper than respecs.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    Law of supply and demand. The customer is the deciding factor in how much goods are sold for. Lots of supply but no demand, the price should come down.

Since Cryptic has an infinite amount of skill respecs to sell, and that the 500 price tag has led to poor sales, a reduction should have happened a long time ago

That logic would only apply if there were multiple sellers, but there are none. There is one seller. So its not a consumermarket.
    edited June 2014
    woodwhity wrote: »
    That logic would only apply if there were multiple sellers, but there are none. There is one seller. So its not a consumermarket.

Still applies to goods and services.

They have a service, isn't selling too hot, lowering the price will guarantee more sales...question is if those margins beat out the original price

• plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Have not read all the posts so sorry for any repetitive arguments but... ;) I think, it is sort of contradictive to other certain aspects of the game. I can choose a ship, regardless of my role (tac, eng sci) and pick a bunch of boffs and also train them as I see fit but personally, I am either stuck with whatever choises I've made at a certain point (good or bad) with my personal skills, or buy a retrain token. Yeah yeah, f2p, devs need some coins to keep it rolling i get that, but seriously, why?!

Is this game really in the need to be necessarily designed upon the income aspect primarily or, is it possible, to just take your time for once, don't rush out with them patches and get things up to a much better standard and THEN hit the community with it like a sledgehammer? I dont know how to put it really, Winter and Risa Events, grind here...waste your time there a little longer to get a few X points... is that really all this game can offer, is that its true potential? I'm sorry for going off course here...I love this game since day one, still having fun like mad...but, some things should be really reconsidered.
  • jenkaljenkal Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014

And not only that, there are multiple sellers... There are hundreds of MMOs, and if the Devs show that they care. although they get insulted all the time, it makes their game more desirable, therefore more customers. Every seller/chief of anything has people not agree with some decisions they make, or insult them, but that doesn't mean they should just quit tryieing to speak to people. Because that's what the Devs have told us, it's not worth listening to us, because some of us insult them.
  • atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited June 2014
    Without reading the last 10 pages. Sell a dual spec option for 500-1000 zen. Allowing 2 spec to be saved and swaped while out of combat.

I'd buy that.
    edited June 2014
    There is another possible explanation for poor sales.

It could be that the vast majority of players are happy with their skill tree selections and feel they have no need to buy respecs.

Possibly, the majority of the thread says otherwise...not a good sample by any means...so that could be meaningless.

More likely it's due to the price

• tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    To all concerning 500 zen respecs

Hello, my name is Dahm, forum personality that tries to help the community and let's emotions tie in here and there. I am writing this letter to have the developers reduce the needlessly high price of "respecing" ones character.

500 zen=5 dollars=75000 dilithium(150 exchange rate)=about 9 days of farming, for a necessity service is borderline scalping. There are multiple forms of content, just scraping the service...we have pve and pvp; both having space and ground elements. If you optimize for one, your hurting yourself in another. We also have human error; where one completes a build but misses some key skills that one could not do without, that could cost you another 5 dollars. Silver players that do not know anything about the game will always need a respec at 50.

We used to be able to spend expertise to do skill respecs, this was amazing, but as much as I could wish for it to revert back to this system, it won't ever happen. I can understand that this is a huge cash cow for you but please hear me out.

So, what I am requesting is a reduction in the cost of a skill respec. It would be phenomenal to us, the players, 100 zen would be going above and beyond what we would expect. Cutting it in half would still be a fantastic case of good will.

And, to leave this on a high note

9t2fr.jpg

Thanks for reading and I hope the community backs me on this.

Edit: Some annoying autocorrect mistakes and general update.

Generally good traction, wish the lookie lous would +1/-1 the thread for additional bumping/post counts/support.

Additional point: devs went on record to say that this service is not a big seller, reducing the cost has the very high potential of more people buying in, thus, higher revenue...a week sale of reduced cost may see what it's capable of (would have to factor out the "sale" effect though)

how is it scalping? Scalping is when you sell at a price overly inflated from the official price..... as 500 zen is the official price 500 zen is not over inflated and as such is not scalping in any sense.
    edited June 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    how is it scalping? Scalping is when you sell at a price overly inflated from the official price..... as 500 zen is the official price 500 zen is not over inflated and as such is not scalping in any sense.

Original price was some expertise(or merit)...now it's 5 hundred zen after a new commander in chief rook over...may not be scalping but it's so close, it's borderline....like I said :P

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There is another possible explanation for poor sales.

It could be that the vast majority of players are happy with their skill tree selections and feel they have no need to buy respecs.

'Happy' is a relative term. Rather, I'd say, they're not unhappy enough to spend 500 Zen to change it.

Way I see it, the trinity pretty much mandates a loadout system in which you can at least have 2 skill loadouts. Going Vesta and all drain? Spec in grav- and particle gens. Going BFAW in a Galor? Maybe shifted more towards EWS. Etc.

At any rate, the point being, that, whilst I can see the usefulness of switching between a few basic skill sets, it's not enough of an incentive to warrant spending 500 Zen each time (which is maybe what Cryptic originally envisioned ppl would do?). In that sense, it's only logical respec sales are fail.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    'Happy' is a relative term. Rather, I'd say, they're not unhappy enough to spend 500 Zen to change it.

Way I see it, the trinity pretty much mandates a loadout system in which you can at least have 2 skill loadouts. Going Vesta and all drain? Spec in grav- and particle gens. Going BFAW in a Galor? Maybe shifted more towards EWS. Etc.

At any rate, the point being, that, whilst I can see the usefulness of switching between a few basic skill sets, it's not enough of an incentive to warrant spending 500 Zen each time (which is maybe what Cryptic originally envisioned ppl would do?). In that sense, it's only logical respec sales are fail.

are you more or less asking for what wow calls a dual spec???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited June 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    are you more or less asking for what wow calls a dual spec???

Don't play WoW. :) But essentially so, I guess. Even having just a dual set would already strongly mitigate the issues that arise from flying all 3 ship-types along the trinity.

I can already hear Crypic think: "We're not gonna do that, because ppl won't buy respecs otherwise." Well, thinking ppl would (just to change ships) was too optimistic to begin with. Hence the poor sales.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Don't play WoW. :) But essentially so, I guess. Even having just a dual set would already strongly mitigate the issues that arise from flying all 3 ship-types along the trinity.

I can already hear Crypic think: "We're not gonna do that, because ppl won't buy respecs otherwise." Well, thinking ppl would (just to change ships) was too optimistic to begin with. Hence the poor sales.

ya never happen unless cryptic can find a way to make money off a dual spec sad thing is i would not put it past them they loving coming up with new dill grind so on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • kamipoikamipoi Member Posts: 365 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    i see the merrits of it costing but for the fact of how often the skills get buffed/nerfed changed otherwise.

it would be nice to be able to atleast get a free respec every week/month.keep the option to buy it maybe lower the price to 100-250zen but give the players some flexability.

as a side note add free respecs to golds/lifers they need a buff (coming from a silver player)
    edited June 2014

There is no trinity in STO. And I am very happy about that fact.
    And tbh, there are very little builds you need a completely differnt built. At least for notable differences in performance.
    edited June 2014
    There is no trinity in STO.

LOL. You could have fooled me! :P So, we have no Sci Captains, and Tactical ones, and Engineers? (and their derivative ship-types) *boggle*
    And tbh, there are very little builds you need a completely differnt built. At least for notable differences in performance.

There are many such builds. Imagine me going all BFAW, with no torps at all, that's 9.000 sp from Projectile Weapons, and another 9,000 or so (3 points) in Projecile Weapons Specialization, for a total of 18,000 points to be applied elsewhere! (an extra 6 points in EWS, for instance). And that's not counting skills like grav- or particle gens, that may not be needed in certain builds at all.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited June 2014
    LOL. You could have fooled me! :P So, we have no Sci Captains, and Tactical ones, and Engineers? (and their derivative ship-types) *boggle*

Trinity is not having different classes, its having different class-roles. And that we dont have in STO, as everything is DPS in PvE. Sure, you can make a supporter, but the best support is DPS. So its not like other MMOs, were Trinity is needed for upper class raids and such. Thats what I meant.
    In PvP you have at least a duality, as you have Tacs as DD and Eng/Sci as Healer/Debuffer.

And yes, you have a few vastly different builds, like your mentioned Torpboat vs. Beamboot, though even there you can find a good median without cutting much performance.
    edited June 2014
    Trinity is not having different classes, its having different class-roles. And that we dont have in STO, as everything is DPS in PvE. Sure, you can make a supporter, but the best support is DPS. So its not like other MMOs, were Trinity is needed for upper class raids and such. Thats what I meant.
    In PvP you have at least a duality, as you have Tacs as DD and Eng/Sci as Healer/Debuffer.

To that I would agree. Maybe (at some point very early in the game?) they had some notion of true divergent roles, but these days, indeed, it's all about the DPS, and nobody needs a healer, really (at least not in PvE). Being self-sufficient is probably part and parcel of the casual nature of this game.

Still, like you say, I have found some sort of median skill set, that's mostly offensive-oriented, but allows me to fly Sci-ships too. So, that actually underlines my point: there's no real incentive for me to spend 500 Zen on a respec.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • majinsyllusmajinsyllus Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The one thing that annoys me is that I cant buy 500 zen for 4.99 eu anymore, I have to buy 1180 and it's ****ing rediculous.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The one thing that annoys me is that I cant buy 500 zen for 4.99 eu anymore, I have to buy 1180 and it's ****ing rediculous.

Wow, they've gotten pretty bad with it there. They've even removed it telling you how much the $ got you by just clicking on a payment - you have to go further in the process just to see how much you're buying. Meh, that is getting pretty stupid there.