test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

MK XII Very Rare (purple) Phasers VS Advanced Fleet Phasers

sf911sf911 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Federation Discussion
Dear all,

I am currently running 6 very rare (purple) MK XII phaser beam arrays on my Tactical Odyssey.
They all have 1 [ACC] modifier and then a mix of [CrtH] and [CrtD].

I am considering the possibility of upgrading to advanced fleet phasers [ACC]x2 [DMG]x2.

Keeping in mind that I only do PVE, would this be a worthwhile improvement? Would there be some (even minimal) benefit?

The reason I ask is that I often read that the [DMG] modifier is the least useful, [ACC] the most recommended and [CrtH]/[CrtD] also good.

In the light of the above, is it possible I would actually be downgrading with fleet advanced phaser beam arrays? Especially considering that I almost never miss with even only one [ACC]?

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your kind help and suggestions!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited June 2014
    Acc only matters in PVP. Your current guns are fine for PVE.
    I AM WAR.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you have Mk XII Very Rare Phasers, I'd keep those any day over Adv Fleet Phasers. Generally I'd say so if the mods are favorable in the regular MK XII Very Rares because the mod variation may very well be more favorable. I'd take Acc/CrtH/CrtD combo any day over the Advanced weapons and very locked in mod variation.

For PVE, yes, ACC is still pretty important but not as absolutely critical as it is in PVP. There's also a variety of improving accuracy outside the weapon mods themselves.

Nukara Particle Converter Console
    Omega Deflector
    Solanae Deflector
    8472 Deflector

That's just off the top of my head and I'm very sure there's more.

I've always felt the mod combinations from Advanced and even Elite Fleet weapons were quite lackluster. But if you have Mk XII Very Rares with advantageous mod combos, keep them. Advanced Phaser Proc is not different from Mk I Common's Phaser Proc.

Hell, I'll even question the usefulness of Advanced or maybe even Elite Phaser weapons in light of 8472 Rep Biomolecular Phasers.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited June 2014
    I second the comment - you're current phasers are more than enough to deal with PvE.

In addition to the version you have, I have tried advanced and elite versions of phasers. The advanced will do slightly more damage that your current set-up, and ironically more than elite phasers.

Elite have a shield bonus proc, which depending on who you speak to is great or a waste of time.

Save your dilithium. Stick with what you have.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited June 2014
    Hell, I'll even question the usefulness of Advanced or maybe even Elite Phaser weapons in light of 8472 Rep Biomolecular Phasers.

I recently tried elites primarily due to the new gear from BioComand Rep. So far, I'm having fun with them, but I would not say they do more damage than the regular VR XII.

The proc from the bio phasers work more often than the shield proc does.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for the replies. Truly appreciated.

I've heard that the elites do less damage than the advanced fleet phasers. The shield regen proc does not sound very appealing anyway as my Odyssey is quite sturdy altready.

So the consensus seems to be that fleet advanced phaser beam arrays add nothing to MK XII purples with a mix of [acc][crth]crtd]?

Also, I am not really interested in the Undine phasers as I like the "cannon look" of orange phasers.

I think that based purely on stats, I would have gone for antiproton weaponry. However, for me the "look" and "feel" of the ship is important and for me Starfleet ships = phasers. Just a subjctive opinion of a long-time Trekkie.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    And that's all that matters :) Thank you for the question though because I've wondered about about Fleet gear v Non-Fleet gear.
  • Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    For phasers, it's one [dmg] modifier vs healing proc. I'd take the healing proc, even though it's hardly noticeable. One extra [dmg] even less noticeable.

For disruptors, the shield debuff is massive, on top of the normal disruptor debuff. It is without question better than an extra [dmg] modifier, or even an extra [acc] modifier of accx3 vrs.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    noblet wrote: »
    For phasers, it's one [dmg] modifier vs healing proc. I'd take the healing proc, even though it's hardly noticeable. One extra [dmg] even less noticeable.

IF we assume that [dmg] is barely noticeable and the same goes for the elite's healing proc...then one could almost say that fleet phaser weapons offer no added value for PVE?
  • Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    sf911 wrote: »
    IF we assume that [dmg] is barely noticeable and the same goes for the elite's healing proc...then one could almost say that fleet phaser weapons offer no added value for PVE?

It's an easier grind than farming the ec to buy vrs off the exchange. If you use something popular, like beam arrays, anyway.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    noblet wrote: »
    It's an easier grind than farming the ec to buy vrs off the exchange. If you use something popular, like beam arrays, anyway.

Fair enough, but in my case I already have them (I raised the ECs by selling a few lock box keys). I also have the FCs to buy the fleet version. I just wanted know whether or not they would be considered an improvement over what I already have.

The consensus seem to be to stick to what I have, which I suspected might be the case.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.
  • Options
    comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    heckgoblin wrote: »
    Acc only matters in PVP. Your current guns are fine for PVE.

WRONG!!! Even in PVE, if they don't hit, they mean nothing, so more hits translates into better damage, so they are important in both....

If you can afford to upgrade your phasers, do so, but if you cant just save up until you can...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    If you can afford to upgrade your phasers, do so, but if you cant just save up until you can...

Yes, I can afford them.
    I just fear that I would be paying for a downgrade as my current modifiers (all ACCx1 + a mix of CrtH and CrtD) may be better than the fleet modifiers.
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    [[DMG] = [LOL]. In fact, even a Dev acknowledged that they intentionally use DMG as a throwaway mod.

If you have mk XIIVR, keep them. I find most of the beam arrays from the fleet holdings to be wanting.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    arkatdtarkatdt Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I replaced my Fleet Adv Phasers DHC [Acc]x2 [DMG]x2 with Mk XII Phasers DHC [CrtH] [CrtD]x2 and I found that my average damage for the DHC straight-up, went from 1900 to 2150. I also noticed that I got a few more misses. So my Accuracy went from 99.5+% to somewhere between 98% and 99%. My current base Accuracy bonus is 28.6%
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    WRONG!!! Even in PVE, if they don't hit, they mean nothing, so more hits translates into better damage, so they are important in both....

but they will hit almost everything in PvE without having to resort to taking [acc] as a modifier. As someone else has mentioned, there are tons of other scources of accuracy (talent tree, traits, consoles) that will easily get you up to that rather low threshhold, way more effectively than [acc] mods would, so that taking CrtD/CrtH will ramp up your damage much better than the low spillover into CrtH from Acc.
    Thoughts?

I'd currently hold my money and wait what the crafting system might bring. They were talking about new, crafting-only mods, ultra-rare items, so we might get something from there, that's better than both fleet and regular Mk.XII. Prices for regular, purple Mk.XIIs might plummet as well, considering everyone will be crafting them.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There's far less sources of increasing accuracy than increasing critical rates. Most esp. so if you want to use Cannons.

But this is all part of the game. You have limited space for traits, active DOFFs, ship equipment, console space, etc. It's up to you as a player to determine what is a right mix for you. What one format a player says will be good may be good for their build but not necessarily another's.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    macricanmacrican Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    i'm still rocking out the old Borg DHC's ;P