test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Comeback after a year. Things gone small?

radagast75radagast75 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
Just came back for some Trek action and started new fed character for this.

I am level 7 now and the missions so far seem to gone through a revamp of sorts, is this true?

The feel i get is that things are made more linear. Some areas smaller than before and so on.

Like the station where you save scientists and extinguish fires. There was more ways to go around that station before but now it seems like linear corridor train. P'jam (Monastery with Undine) starts in half made state and in general there are less enemies.

I play as Elite but things seem far more easy than before. Ships are weaker, use less abilities.

Why has this been made? i know i asked a slight ease on low level missions but it feels like they gone too far now.

Nothing is never good in MMORPG eh? :D
Captain Hunt, at your service!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by radagast75 on

Comments

• Options
    jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    radagast75 wrote: »

I am level 7 now and the missions so far seem to gone through a revamp of sorts, is this true?

The feel i get is that things are made more linear. Some areas smaller than before and so on.

Like the station where you save scientists and extinguish fires. There was more ways to go around that station before but now it seems like linear corridor train. P'jam (Monastery with Undine) starts in half made state and in general there are less enemies.

I play as Elite but things seem far more easy than before. Ships are weaker, use less abilities.

Why has this been made? i know i asked a slight ease on low level missions but it feels like they gone too far now.

Yeah, some new player missions were made a bit easier to ease new players into the game. However the maps were not streamlined, they were just touched up to be close to the new standard of graphics in STO (the graphics in the last two season are mind blowing)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    First i noticed was that graphics options were completely different and some things seem much better than before. Shadows seem a bit too soft or maybe i have some setting wrong for that.

Maybe i was wrong of streamlined maps but i could swear that some of those maps were a bit larger before and that there was at least 2 corridors to go in that station with fires :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    First i noticed was that graphics options were completely different and some things seem much better than before. Shadows seem a bit too soft or maybe i have some setting wrong for that.

Maybe i was wrong of streamlined maps but i could swear that some of those maps were a bit larger before and that there was at least 2 corridors to go in that station with fires :)

Been a while since i played through those, maybe they are a bit smaller, and yes the new graphics are kinda weird at first, but i dont know much about that, i just maxed them all and moved on

If you want to go through them a little fast, Mail/PM/Friend me @jarodroto123 and ill roflstomp some stuff for ya :cool:
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    yeah most of the end content is a train wreck away from a full blown disaster site, some how cryptic get away with it but it will be a matter of when.

there has been a number of updates, esd is not what it was before, its updated to match the new feature episode that will explain what happened when you can get around to it. its best to level your toon up then explore the dinosaurs with freaking lasers on their heads, the romulans and so on.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014

P'jem they beam you to the path and cut out about half the other spawns. (Though I did find one pacing Klingon back where you used to beam in.)

And yes the station added rubble to make you take a single route to find all the scientists and I think they cut out a large room.

And the swamps to turn off the force field you now have to follow the paths. No cutting through the swamp to hit them from the rear.

They did add a few tidbits of dialogue to some missions though.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    And all i wanted was to revamp missions to match Romulan missions and Starfleet tutorial and the most i wanted was new exiting content for Klingons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think it was streamlined so that new players could navigate easier without getting lost.

There have been a lot of changes in the past year I have been playing. Admittedly, they did make their fair share of mistakes. However, they also did some good changes. To be honest, I think they are trying to figure out what to do to improve the game, and might not be entirely sure how to do it. Some of the changes that were good were awesome. Whereas, the ones that were bad might sometimes make you wonder if they understand their players.

The good thing is that they do listen to players, and sometimes make changes that they think will fix mistakes they have made. Like with anything, ideas and changes need to be tested to fully understand how to proceed. This might mean that we will need to suffer with something that doesn't work as intended, or it does work as intended, but the majority of the players might not like or agree with it.

I am very hopeful for the next expansion that is scheduled to be coming out later this year.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Honestly? WHO gets lost in STO? I don't want to sound mean, but this game requires absolutely no effort whatsoever. Someone said people complained they get lost in STAR CLUSTERS. Which are literally empty 2d-maps with one doorway.

You know, back in the days, we had computer games that came with no instructions whatsoever while throwing us in a world of set rules. And we loved it, because you were required to learn, adapt and beat the game.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Honestly? WHO gets lost in STO? I don't want to sound mean, but this game requires absolutely no effort whatsoever. Someone said people complained they get lost in STAR CLUSTERS. Which are literally empty 2d-maps with one doorway.

You know, back in the days, we had computer games that came with no instructions whatsoever while throwing us in a world of set rules. And we loved it, because you were required to learn, adapt and beat the game.

I know wot u mean but a lot of new gamers will quit playing if there hand is not held if u did not pay for the game would u realy spent so long just trying to find out how to open a door.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014

First: (Holds up hand) I got lost in the jungle on the one hirogen mission for KDF. I couldn't find the spots they wanted me to do their linear mission on.

And that brings me to part of why they may be streamlining things. Linear goals in a sandbox can leave you guessing on where to go. If they made branching goals then a sandbox is great.
    IE: I went down the right path so only interact with the stuff to the right and get a (slightly) different mission outcome.
    But if you make a linear path, don't say to go all away from your goal and initial travel direction for step three of ten. Especially with the clumsy alert mechanism.
    (Either no notice, or it pops up while you are still dealing with mobs shooting at you.)

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited June 2014

This is the reason , games like "star trek 25th anniversary" from ages ago will be always superior to any STO. lol

I agree, sto story missions are far too easy in that sense. But if they do em harder, they will need to improve the rewards as well. Something that i will like to see are different finals on every episode and different paths to different missions, not always the same one after another. But i guess this is to hard for cryptic to achieve.. :cool: