test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Pluto may still qualify for planetary status.

centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Ten Forward
Post edited by centersolace on

Comments

• Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well that doesn't reinstate Setsuna Meioh to the Sailor Scouts, now does it?

:mad:
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2014
    Interesting, but I suspect it will be an uphill battle. To quote the current criteria as listed in Wikipedia:
    The definition of planet set in Prague in 2006 by the International Astronomical Union (IAU) states that, in the Solar System, a planet is a celestial body which:

1. is in orbit around the Sun,
    2. has sufficient mass to assume hydrostatic equilibrium (a nearly round shape), and
    3. has "cleared the neighbourhood" around its orbit.

It is this third point that will prove the challenge. That said, I did note several of the comments added at the link, and one comment caught my eye:
    Move Earth to Pluto's orbit and our own "planet" would have insufficient mass to "sweep its orbit clean". Go out far enough, and even massive Jupiter lacks the mass to clear such a huge volume of space.
    The definition is flawed. Whether or not something is defined as a "planet" should not depend on where it happens to be located.

I've not investigated the accuracy of this claim, but it does sound intriguing. I'm wondering, given Pluto's huge orbit, what if all criteria are met, and it will clear its orbit, but has not done so yet?. Do we give it planet status if we recognize that it will clear the neighborhood one day?

Personally, I like to cheer for the kicked-around underdog, so I'm hoping they find enough to either change the definitions or demonstrate that Pluto qualifies.
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Agreed. Pluto was a planet when I grew up, and I'd like for it to be considered a planet again before I die.

As for the "clearing your orbit" requirement, you have to take into consideration the much longer, and therefore slower, orbits the farther out you get from the Sun. Pluto has completed far fewer orbits; it just needs more time.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    On the other hand, if Pluto is readmitted, they have to put the other Kuiper belt objects of Pluto's size or greater on the list too - and I don't know how to pronounce "Quaoar"!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    On the other hand, if Pluto is readmitted, they have to put the other Kuiper belt objects of Pluto's size or greater on the list too - and I don't know how to pronounce "Quaoar"!

K way oar , I think!
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I have a feeling if they did that, they would probably group them into two areas:

Kuiper belt planets
    Non-Kuiper belt planets

Otherwise we would have a HUUUGE list of 'planets in our solar system'.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Not necessarily - Quaoar may be an ellipsoid and thus doesn't meet the "round" criterion.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Pluto was always a planet. It was just reclassified as a dwarf planet. The same as Ceres, Juno, Vesta, Pallas, Eris and a couple hundred thousand more objects in our own solar system. Not counting Sedna (a scattered object, but also controversially lobbied to become a planet).

For those who grew up way back in the day (up until around the early 1950's), might recognize Vesta, Ceres, Juno, and Pallas in your textbooks as planets, but were reclassified later.
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    Agreed. Pluto was a planet when I grew up, and I'd like for it to be considered a planet again before I die.

This is science, not religion. There is nothing sacred in science. By very definition, it is used to better explain the reality we live in. We can't make exceptions if we are to progress forward into further scientific advances.

Those who say their children cry when told Pluto isn't a planet anymore (for example), and therefore should be classified as a planet again... are what is wrong with society. It's this kind of anti-science, and anti-intellectual nonsense that rustles my jimmies.

The sciences, particularly astronomy is constantly being redefined as we are able to gather more information about the heavens above us.

We simply can not cling to the past and what we thought was science, and at the same time say we should move forward and learn and explore more. Because eventually we're going to find something that challenges our former beliefs. And if we are good enough -- this will happen quite often.

So no, nothing is sacred in science. Pluto's reclassification as a dwarf planet should be seen as an educative experience -- not a sacred cow that the IAU is slaughtering to make our children cry and cause schools to buy more textbooks.
    mimey2 wrote: »
    I have a feeling if they did that, they would probably group them into two areas:

Kuiper belt planets
    Non-Kuiper belt planets

Otherwise we would have a HUUUGE list of 'planets in our solar system'.

Even then, that isn't going to help you. There are many objects between Mars and Jupiter that share characteristics similar to Pluto (and other Kuiper Belt Planets), such as Ceres. You make the problem even worse when you consider the Centaurs between Saturn and Uranus, most notably Chiron (which some say should be a dwarf planet) -- however, that too is controversial since we've not even photographed Chiron.

If Pluto is readmitted as a proper planet, you can expect that it isn't going to be permanent (at worst), as we redefine what makes a planet a planet... or it will be controversial and not fully accepted by the scientific community (at best).

But that is the fun part of science -- it is always important to question.

Never stop questioning, and never make exceptions for questions (like Pluto's planetary classification).
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014

more overthinking on an idea and its nothing new there. the complex they make these things the more difficult is is to grasp who the bloody hell classifies what and where that eventually it becomes really silly and needs a new way to reclassify it with an even more silly system.

the issue is that we have no real data from around pluto to even be sure of anything. to classify something it needs to fit a criteria and i doubt half the boxes can be filled with anything more then 40 year old data from some ancient probe we launched an ice age ago. what would fill the missing blanks would be to get a mission together to fully explore out the various planets and moons in more depth then what we got.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    This is science, not religion. There is nothing sacred in science.
    Changing the taxonomy of an object is less about science and more about semantics. They didn't want to have 50 planets, since that would seem "wrong", therefore demoted Pluto. Yes, real scientific reasoning that.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I hope they keep it as a Dwarf Planet. 8 planets is a nice round number, four rocks, four gasses etc.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A dwarf planet is still a planet, it's just a smaller one. Nothing is wrong with Pluto being a dwarf planet.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    Changing the taxonomy of an object is less about science and more about semantics. They didn't want to have 50 planets, since that would seem "wrong", therefore demoted Pluto. Yes, real scientific reasoning that.

Yeah, I've heard a couple of the scientist mention the reclassification to keep from having a long list of planets. While I don't believe that is the only reason for classification changes, it is a pretty ridiculous one and should not have been thrown into the mix.

I do agree semantics are involved, and I suspect a pair of words carry a lot of emotional weight: "demotion" and "dwarf". The resulting effect makes it seem like fan-favorite Pluto is some sort of cast-off. I would have preferred if they always had used the term "recategorized" (especially in casual conversation), which is perceived as more of a lateral move. "Dwarf", I understand. We've had that term associated with stars for decades. Perhaps if they'd done a better job making it seem like the categories "planet" and "dwarf planet" were on equal footing, as I think the perception is about "star" and "dwarf star", things might have gone better.

As the guy on the TEDtalks vid said, they will be revisiting the definition of a planet at some point, and likely the controversial point #3 will be refined or changed. Next January, we may discover that Pluto is unique in our solar system, and may have to write all new definitions. It certainly has points to warm a discussion:

- only 50 km smaller than Mercury
    - an atmosphere, unlike Mercury
    - 5 known satellites, unlike Mercury
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    more overthinking on an idea and its nothing new there. the complex they make these things the more difficult is is to grasp who the bloody hell classifies what and where that eventually it becomes really silly and needs a new way to reclassify it with an even more silly system.

the issue is that we have no real data from around pluto to even be sure of anything. to classify something it needs to fit a criteria and i doubt half the boxes can be filled with anything more then 40 year old data from some ancient probe we launched an ice age ago. what would fill the missing blanks would be to get a mission together to fully explore out the various planets and moons in more depth then what we got.

I should point out that in 2015 we will have a probe on close approach to Pluto--the closest we have ever had, if I recall. Perhaps the scientific community should be tabling this discussion until we receive full results from that mission?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Part of the problem was that prior to the IAU's decision, there weren't any criteria. If it went around the Sun, and it was too big or lonely for us to feel comfortable calling it an asteroid or a comet, it was a planet. Then we started finding things in the Kuiper belt that were way bigger than we were expecting, and suddenly it became necessary to define a "planet".

And apparently some folks got upset about the definition, because it changed The Way We Always Did Things, which I thought was kind of the point of scientific advancement, but whatever, I don't have any emotional attachment to it either way.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    I should point out that in 2015 we will have a probe on close approach to Pluto--the closest we have ever had, if I recall. Perhaps the scientific community should be tabling this discussion until we receive full results from that mission?
    Yes, New Horizons will be the first man-made probe to flyby Pluto in July 2015. The "Grand Tour of the Solar System" back in the 80s, the Voyagers, took us by Jupiter, and gave us our first closeup looks at Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune, but couldn't get a look at Pluto.

And yes once we finally get a good look I'm sure there will be some new revelations.

As for other Kuiper Belt objects which may or may not be larger than Pluto: all that is largely based on extrapolation and certain assumptions at this point. It may take decades/centuries to really have a good understanding of this region.
  • Options
    seseronseseron Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm okay with it called a dwarf planet. The word originally meant "wanderer" in the Greek anyway. Nowadays, the word "planet" is synonymous with "world," and our gold standard for comparison is the earth itself. I'm not really concerned what the astronomical community decides, as they can be knuckleheads anyway, always finding something to debate about.

Even so, I'm eager for the New Horizons project to get there and send us some pretty pikshurs. Wouldn't we freak out if we got there, and all eyes of the world were stuck to the TV and we watched as Pluto revolved around, and suddenly an abandoned space base appeared? I doubt it'd happen, but it's fun to imagine our response.
    rottorung02.png
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well that doesn't reinstate Setsuna Meioh to the Sailor Scouts, now does it?

:mad:
    Wait, does that mean that Sailor Moon wasn't a Sailor Scout all along because the moon ≠ a planet? D=
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    An easy definition for a planet is any natural and somewhat spherical object that has a radius of over 1,000 kilometers. The largest asteroid is only half the size of Pluto and is has a radius less than 1,000 kilometers and there is only Eris and Pluto in the Kuiper Belt that would classify as planets. Of course, there might be other Kuiper Belt Objects that will be discovered in the future that can be classified as planets under that definition.

Science is full of meaningless definitions like how big does a geological formation have to be to be considered as a mountain and as proved by the mountain definition, organizations can have different definitions for the same thing.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Science is full of meaningless definitions like how big does a geological formation have to be to be considered as a mountain and as proved by the mountain definition, organizations can have different definitions for the same thing.

It's simple.

It's defined by a tourist board.

:D
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    jjumetleyjjumetley Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    This is science, not religion. There is nothing sacred in science. By very definition, it is used to better explain the reality we live in. We can't make exceptions if we are to progress forward into further scientific advances.

Those who say their children cry when told Pluto isn't a planet anymore (for example), and therefore should be classified as a planet again... are what is wrong with society. It's this kind of anti-science, and anti-intellectual nonsense that rustles my jimmies.

The sciences, particularly astronomy is constantly being redefined as we are able to gather more information about the heavens above us.

We simply can not cling to the past and what we thought was science, and at the same time say we should move forward and learn and explore more. Because eventually we're going to find something that challenges our former beliefs. And if we are good enough -- this will happen quite often.

So no, nothing is sacred in science. Pluto's reclassification as a dwarf planet should be seen as an educative experience -- not a sacred cow that the IAU is slaughtering to make our children cry and cause schools to buy more textbooks.
    Part of the problem was that prior to the IAU's decision, there weren't any criteria. If it went around the Sun, and it was too big or lonely for us to feel comfortable calling it an asteroid or a comet, it was a planet. Then we started finding things in the Kuiper belt that were way bigger than we were expecting, and suddenly it became necessary to define a "planet".

And apparently some folks got upset about the definition, because it changed The Way We Always Did Things, which I thought was kind of the point of scientific advancement, but whatever, I don't have any emotional attachment to it either way.

The whole problem arose when they found other objects similar to Pluto. Another problem - as jonsills points out - is that until lately there were no rules regarding classification. I think Pluto should be considered a normal planet as an exception that proves the rule.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    jjumetley wrote: »
    I think Pluto should be considered a normal planet as an exception that proves the rule.
    the problem with that saying is that the use of "proves" is archaic - it means "an example that tests the rule and finds it wanting." Today, we'd say it disproves the rule, which in the realm of science means the rule needs to be scrapped and a new one written that makes the "exception" no longer an exception.

I have no real problem with altering the new definition to make Pluto and similar worlds planets. Personally, I think it would be interesting to live in a system with 13+ planets in it...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014

I have no real problem with altering the new definition to make Pluto and similar worlds planets. Personally, I think it would be interesting to live in a system with 13+ planets in it...

It certainly would make Joss Whedon's Firefly system more realistic sounding.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    It certainly would make Joss Whedon's Firefly system more realistic sounding.

Not quite. A Solar System with a bunch of inhabitable planets would require planetary engineering by some unknown race. The farther away a planet is, the requirement for geothermal energy to heat up the planet becomes necessary. Mars might be able to be use sunlight for heat, but Pluto and the moons past Mars would require geothermal energy since there is not enough sunlight.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    An easy definition for a planet is any natural and somewhat spherical object that has a radius of over 1,000 kilometers. The largest asteroid is only half the size of Pluto and is has a radius less than 1,000 kilometers and there is only Eris and Pluto in the Kuiper Belt that would classify as planets. Of course, there might be other Kuiper Belt Objects that will be discovered in the future that can be classified as planets under that definition.

And there will be no end of complaints when an object is found that fulfills all of the criteria for planethood except for being just below the cutoff size. Any sharp line will result in borderline cases, simply because there's a whole continuum of objects in nature as opposed to everything fitting into neat categories.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    And there will be no end of complaints when an object is found that fulfills all of the criteria for planethood except for being just below the cutoff size. Any sharp line will result in borderline cases, simply because there's a whole continuum of objects in nature as opposed to everything fitting into neat categories.

Science is full of these sharp lines that have no basis in fact. Where our atmosphere ends has been based on distance and atmospheric pressure like 100 kilometers or 1 psf. There are very few objects in our Solar System that have a radius over 1000 kilometers. Various moons like our moon and Titan apply, but that is a completely different problem. If a moon is bigger than the planet, is it defined as a planet or moon or both? There are binary stars so why not binary planets. The whole borderline issue will only occur when we actually send people to other stars and that might be centuries from now.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Science is full of these sharp lines that have no basis in fact. Where our atmosphere ends has been based on distance and atmospheric pressure like 100 kilometers or 1 psf. There are very few objects in our Solar System that have a radius over 1000 kilometers. Various moons like our moon and Titan apply, but that is a completely different problem. If a moon is bigger than the planet, is it defined as a planet or moon or both? There are binary stars so why not binary planets. The whole borderline issue will only occur when we actually send people to other stars and that might be centuries from now.
    Well, Pluto was unofficially classified as a double planet.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg