test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is Defiance any good?

centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Ten Forward
I need a new Sci-Fi show. Is Defiance so good, Fox would've canceled it after the first season? Or am I better off watching Babylon 5 again?
Post edited by centersolace on

Comments

• Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Defiance has a great concept, but terrible execution.

Just watch Trek or b5 again.

If you don't mind British stuff, try Doctor Who, Primeval, or the first 2 seasons of Torchwood.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Defiance has a great concept, but terrible execution.

Just watch Trek or b5 again.

If you don't mind British stuff, try Doctor Who, Primeval, or the first 2 seasons of Torchwood.

Primevial is a badish choice, the British series has kinda ended...ish...again...sort of...

The Canadian spin off was great...and kinda ended...sort of...

Also Children of Earth was fantastic, but do forget Miracle Day.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    Primevial is a badish choice, the British series has kinda ended...ish...again...sort of...

The Canadian spin off was great...and kinda ended...sort of...

Also Children of Earth was fantastic, but do forget Miracle Day.

Miracle Day was absolute drek. I was rolling my eyes throughout the finale. (almost said Children of Earth there, LOL facepalm)

They KILLED JOHN DELANCIE in the most pathetic way imaginable. The whole thing was just epic fail.

Primeval is one of my personal favorite shows; it just seems to get cursed with Development Hell a lot because it's expensive to get all that CGI. The spinoff...was about as good as most spinoffs, which is to say meh.

I hope that they get around to making that movie version that got stuck in DH like 5 years ago. If they ever actually finish that, it ought to be cool.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I enjoy watching Defiance and cannot wait for the Second Season. The game is a model of what not do and how to do alienate your player base.
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Firefly if you haven't :P
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I tried to get into it, but I didn't. I just feel like Defiance is something other people might enjoy. Like Alien Nation.I knew people who loved that show, and I just couldn't get into it.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    Firefly if you haven't :P

Who HASN'T seen Firefly???

I mean, I watch Serenity at least once a month, and the episodes whenever I can. And I'm not even that much of a Browncoat...
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    i liked it i would say give it a try
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you don't mind a Sci-fi show that's set on Earth and not a space ship, you should try Defiance. I'd say it's worth trying it out, but definitely not something I'd bet every sci-fi fan likes.

One of the downsides is it may take itself quite a bit more seriously than it should.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would also suggest Falling Skies, I like that one.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    While I watch very little TV and did not think the show Defiance would be my cup of tea, the soundtrack is good if you are a fan of Bear McCreary. IMO the game soundtrack is the better of the two because it is bolder and unashamed of what it is: Bear. Frakking. McCreary. DUBSTEP. SO SAY WE ALL.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited June 2014

I mean, I watch Serenity at least once a month, and the episodes whenever I can. And I'm not even that much of a Browncoat...

Too late. You're already one. And you've got plenty of company (I'm a Browncoat too).
  • Options
    rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Defiance feels like the Terra Nova to me. I don't like the teen romance, it makes the series unwatchable! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Defiance is very good. It's a good show, considering it's a Syfy original.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Primeval is one of my personal favorite shows; it just seems to get cursed with Development Hell a lot because it's expensive to get all that CGI. The spinoff...was about as good as most spinoffs, which is to say meh.

I hope that they get around to making that movie version that got stuck in DH like 5 years ago. If they ever actually finish that, it ought to be cool.

It's just harder to each due to all the hanging plot threads and actors leaving.
    New world was so much better than I expected it to be. I suspect it was cancelled because the audiences were low due to it only being shown in Canada and over here. Maybe if it had a US audience it may have been picked up for series two.

A film would be fantastic, tough maybe a series of TV films, that way the budget can be more easily managed and we still get a story.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yes it's very good. Starts off a little weak but really picks up. It's only on season 1 so it's unfair to judge it against other shows at the moment but it's got huge potential.
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited June 2014

*Hesitantly holds up hand*

Erm...I haven't!..sorry!
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    It's just harder to each due to all the hanging plot threads and actors leaving.
    New world was so much better than I expected it to be. I suspect it was cancelled because the audiences were low due to it only being shown in Canada and over here. Maybe if it had a US audience it may have been picked up for series two.

A film would be fantastic, tough maybe a series of TV films, that way the budget can be more easily managed and we still get a story.

I actually found New World to be eye-rolling. They really handled the whole timeline-change plot wrong, and when Connor shows up and he's clearly a better actor than literally everyone else he interacts with (except maybe the cool government nerd), I just...

It started off strong, but then it turned into a giant mess.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Haven't watched it yet, but I'm going to. Season 2 is starting up soon and I just started playing the game which is doing some tie in stuff.

Btw, the game just went full on F2P on the 4th. Don't need to buy the box anymore to jump in and play. Haven't fully gotten into it yet, but it seems to be a nice diversion so far.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    both game and show are mediocre. Give it a try...if you can watch the show, you should try out the game, though they have not much in common...game is free 2 play too.
    Falling skies is by far a better show. The setting feels more realistic, you can identify better with the characters.
    Defiance's main problem, atleast for me is, that the story of how the aliens actually arrive at earth seems more interesting than the "future" in which the story takes place.

i generaly dislike the "wild west" theme that is all over defiance (the show) but it is ok for the game.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited June 2014

mjarbar wrote: »

Erm...I haven't!..sorry!
    You're not alone. :o

Sadly its rather rare on TV, its one of those shows i always seem to keep missing.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I actually found New World to be eye-rolling. They really handled the whole timeline-change plot wrong, and when Connor shows up and he's clearly a better actor than literally everyone else he interacts with (except maybe the cool government nerd), I just...

It started off strong, but then it turned into a giant mess.

I thought the inconsistences in the time travel was leading up to something.

It seemed to me throughout both shows, someone was behind the anomalies in the first place. Think how easy it would be to have a anomaly open up in the middle of a Jurassic ocean and the other end in London now, emptying thousands of tonnes of water. Everything about them seemed specifically controlled but then all my suspects kept getting killed off.

Also seeing Siddig was great.

Seeing Conner in New World was a big highlight, it shows a massive amount of growth from a research student, to leader.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I need a new Sci-Fi show. Is Defiance so good, Fox would've canceled it after the first season? Or am I better off watching Babylon 5 again?

It's... Okay. It's neither great or horrible, it's just watchable.

And yes, not a fan of the wild west theme.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I thought the inconsistences in the time travel was leading up to something.

It seemed to me throughout both shows, someone was behind the anomalies in the first place. Think how easy it would be to have a anomaly open up in the middle of a Jurassic ocean and the other end in London now, emptying thousands of tonnes of water. Everything about them seemed specifically controlled but then all my suspects kept getting killed off.

Also seeing Siddig was great.

Seeing Conner in New World was a big highlight, it shows a massive amount of growth from a research student, to leader.

Siddig was on fire, and I couldn't look at him without thinking "Evil Bashir!!!"

I actually suspect that they're natural. I think that the relative convenience is just an aspect of writer fiat. Sort of like in zombie movies; somehow, the zombies always cause an apocalypse despite being truly wretched predators in every possible way.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Siddig was on fire, and I couldn't look at him without thinking "Evil Bashir!!!"

I actually suspect that they're natural. I think that the relative convenience is just an aspect of writer fiat. Sort of like in zombie movies; somehow, the zombies always cause an apocalypse despite being truly wretched predators in every possible way.

I was a bit worried with his character at first, he seemed like a generic villain, but he genuinely wanted to do the right thing.

I think they could be a self fulfilling paradox of sorts, it seems like Conner might be the one to create them in the first place.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,602 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    mjarbar wrote: »

Erm...I haven't!..sorry!

me either. we went to see serenity and I was ready to go after an hour.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I watched an episode, didn't like it. I found it hard to like or care about any of the aliens at all and don't see why their presence is tolerated.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I watched Season 1 of Defiance.

When season 2 was announced I yawned, scratched myself, and wondered if Falling Skies was coming back. Not that I find it all that great either, but between the two I find it stinks a bit less.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I like wild west stuff so that won't be an issue. I might give it the 7 final test this week if I ever get some free time. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    See, that's why I didn't even try to watch Defiance: I'm not a fan of westerns. But just because I don't watch something (or play it, in the case of the MMO) doesn't stop me from picking up a soundtrack or score if I know the composer's work.

Any other fans of the game or TV soundtrack for this show?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.