test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Question about Mines

hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
I run ONE Projectile Boat and use mines for it in addition to Torps. I find it fun and actually very effective despite what one might imagine but there is one thing I am not certain about...

It is fine to have many different Torps but is it such a good idea to have more than one mine launcher? My fear is that because there seems to be some "Maximum" number of mines out that having more than one launcher would ultimately just see me erasing previous mines with no benefit to me. Also related to this is it alright perhaps if one set is Tricobalt considering they do not put out many mines but have massive detonations?
Post edited by hasukurobi on

Comments

• anyone#9933 anyone Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm using nukara mines (30s cd) and bio mines (15s cd), it works nicely. I think it's not as much as a mine limit as a time limit. I think mines just boom after X seconds.
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    No, there is a Mine Limit, you can only have 2 sets of mines out at a time, launch a 3rd and the first set vanishes. No idea if that's 2 sets per launcher or per ship, though.
  • anyone#9933 anyone Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think it's per launcher then, but I'm pretty sure I can get more than 2 sets of mines there
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    inmydot wrote: »
    I think it's per launcher then, but I'm pretty sure I can get more than 2 sets of mines there

I can actually get 3 sets from one launcher but after that they seem to vanish.
    edited June 2014
    Hmmm... Some testing would reveal that even with reduced cooldowns and different cooldown lengths on the mines that indeed, unlike torps, they are not really viable to have more than one set of.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    Hmmm... Some testing would reveal that even with reduced cooldowns and different cooldown lengths on the mines that indeed, unlike torps, they are not really viable to have more than one set of.

You can run two, but running 2 sets of damage mines is not useful.

What I did with mine (haha!) was carry tractors and a damage set, with the big pattern (beta 3 I think, its been a while) and neither one on autofire. I just hit the pattern and mine of choice on demand, to maximize effect.

So, while you can't really use 2 sets of dps mines for a nonstop dps effect, don't dismiss the idea entirely.
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    No, there is a Mine Limit, you can only have 2 sets of mines out at a time, launch a 3rd and the first set vanishes. No idea if that's 2 sets per launcher or per ship, though.

Each mine launcher has a maximum number of mines that may be deployed from that mine launcher specifically at any given time. This limit is per launcher rather than total. Secondly, using one mine launcher puts all other mine launchers on a 12 second global cooldown. Mines would be so much more useful if Cryptic reduced the mine launcher cooldown in the same way fashion as what they did with torpedo weapons.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
    edited June 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    You can run two, but running 2 sets of damage mines is not useful.

What I did with mine (haha!) was carry tractors and a damage set, with the big pattern (beta 3 I think, its been a while) and neither one on autofire. I just hit the pattern and mine of choice on demand, to maximize effect.

So, while you can't really use 2 sets of dps mines for a nonstop dps effect, don't dismiss the idea entirely.

That I can see though I would prefer the Nekura version I think... I have noticed tractor mines tend to be rather ineffective in most cases and generally just get popped before they can do much good.

Each mine launcher has a maximum number of mines that may be deployed from that mine launcher specifically at any given time. This limit is per launcher rather than total. Secondly, using one mine launcher puts all other mine launchers on a 12 second global cooldown. Mines would be so much more useful if Cryptic reduced the mine launcher cooldown in the same way fashion as what they did with torpedo weapons.

Agreed and why punish one of the hardest to use and honestly weakest weapons in the game this way to begin with?
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited June 2014
    Mines definitely need a rethink. They work fine against NPCs but are very hard to do in PvP. Usually you need some strong holds / disable or saturation mine the middle of the battlefield.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • vedauwoovedauwoo Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    I run ONE Projectile Boat and use mines for it in addition to Torps. I find it fun and actually very effective despite what one might imagine but there is one thing I am not certain about...

It is fine to have many different Torps but is it such a good idea to have more than one mine launcher? My fear is that because there seems to be some "Maximum" number of mines out that having more than one launcher would ultimately just see me erasing previous mines with no benefit to me. Also related to this is it alright perhaps if one set is Tricobalt considering they do not put out many mines but have massive detonations?

MAX sets of mines = 5....whether one launcher or two.....2 seconds before the 5th cooldown ends, the first set explodes in place.

I run the quantums and the tractor mines on one ship.....Dispersal pattern beta on the tractor mines is a nice little trap....

On my other I run quantums with bio-molecular...handy in the undine zones...

Both of these with "hot pursuit" of course...and Torpedo and mine Doffs.....

As for Tri-cobalts.....they are great fun....but can sometimes end up pushing your ship around when you don't intend it....