test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Maleficent

worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Ten Forward
So. I saw this movie yesterday.

I admit that I went in with a healthy dose of concern and suspicion about the Mistress of All Evil being turned into a protagonist, but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised.

Bad parts:

--The effects were so overblown. I mean, I thought "Snow White and the Huntsman" was bad, but this is just ridiculous.

Good parts:

--The acting in general, but Angelina Jolie in particular. Maleficent steals literally every scene.

--Maleficent. Holy cow, she's just done to perfection.

--The Evil Ex. He's such a great villain, and you just love to hate him because he's so unapologetically a flaming jerk.

--Everything about Maleficent.

--The plot. You can really see Maleficent go from young and idealistic to broken and jaded and betrayed to desperate and sad to really, really angry.

--Those nitwits who the EE leaves his daughter with to raise. They are just the worst guardians EVER. Literally; they just leave a toddler to go roam around a tangled forest alone. No supervision beyond that provided by Maleficent, who takes up the job pretty much as a matter of course. In a way, this is a good thing; it makes the EE even more disgusting by showing that not only is he capable of epic abusive d*ckery, he's also a flagrantly bad parent.

--Maleficent.

--The scene in the castle, where Maleficent basically forces Prince Whatshisface to kiss Aurora, and she stays comatose. He makes it pretty clear that he's only known this girl for 12 hours or so, and he doesn't think that that qualifies him as a true love, but Maleficent's so desperate for her surrogate daughter that he eventually does it anyway. And it fails. The heartbroken look on Maleficent's face is just heart-wrenching.

--Did I mention that Maleficent is fantastic?

--Evil Ex's death scene. FINALLY that jerk dies...

--And a happy ending, yay! I'm a sucker for happy endings.

Overall, I'd say that this movie is definitely worth the money. I had a fantastic time. Also, the way they finally wake Aurora up...

Yeah, I'm not spoiling that for you guys. Go see the movie.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Another female villain who becomes a villain after being rejected by a man. Meah.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    Another female villain who becomes a villain after being rejected by a man. Meah.

Rejected?

More like the TRIBBLE drugs her, maims her while she's out, and then becomes king for doing so in one epic act of abusive d*ckery.

If I were Maleficent, I'd be angry, too.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thought it was perfect. Nobody else could play the role as Jolie did.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We saw this the weekend it came out and we actually loved it. We hoped it was going to be a little bit darker but overall the story was well told, the action sequences were great and yah jolie did an awesome job selling the role. I never liked the boy who became king something about him was fishy right off the bat with me. But in my mind, no movie can go wrong that has a friggen dragon! :D
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    But in my mind, no movie can go wrong that has a friggen dragon!

Yeah, pretty much this.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    askray wrote: »
    We saw this the weekend it came out and we actually loved it. We hoped it was going to be a little bit darker but overall the story was well told, the action sequences were great and yah jolie did an awesome job selling the role. I never liked the boy who became king something about him was fishy right off the bat with me. But in my mind, no movie can go wrong that has a friggen dragon! :D

I agree with this^^^^^

The bit when Maleficent pours her heart out to Aurora and kisses her is just the sweetest moment ever. I, a grown man, cried at that scene. And the scene where Maleficent gets maimed by her evil ex, but those were mostly tears of extreme rage at the EE.