Post edited by kirksplat on

Comments

• Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2014
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I may not be Klingon, but I have made some observations in my time on this topic.

To publically challenge the honor of a Klingon, even a dishonorable one, is to invite pain, grief and death.

My experience is that the term “Klingon Honor” is somewhat of a misnomer. One’s value of honor may change with any given development during the course of a Klingon’s life. What is considered an honorable trait or action today may be seen as less than so tomorrow. Even Klingons knew this and have come to expect a somewhat flexible and ever-evolving sense of the word.

A case in point could be given when considering that Gowron defended the Federation and brought peace between they and the Klingon Empire. This was seen as a significantly honorable act. Yet it was no less honorable when Gowron later renounced that treaty and ended the peace. In the end he was challenged and killed by Worf on behalf of Martok in 2375. Despite his “dishonorable actions” Gowron was still acknowledged as a Klingon Warrior.

It is highly political and extremely complicated, the Klingon Honor system. As such there is no single right or wrong, honorable or dishonorable act which crosses some imaginary line as it shifts as often as sand on a beach.

What can not be contested, however, is the act or sense of honor itself. To challenge a Klingon’s sense of honor will result in that Klingon’s mandatory response of defending that honor, for themselves and their house generations back. To make a sweeping demand that a Klingon has acted dishonorably is to, in essence, issue a challenge to invoke a response. An outsider may consider certain acts by Klingons, even against members of their own house, as dishonorable but in truth we’re only seeing a glimpse of a much larger, much more complex hierarchy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    As Dax once said, "Klingons are as diverse a people as any other"
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Wish it had been 10 reasons like the URL rather than the 5 in the actual article title...because I know there are WAY more than 5 examples of Klingons being dishonorable.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Same reason the Federation is not really all that perfect.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited June 2014
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Not even going to read them. Why do websites insist on splitting stuff over 5 pages, it's stupid and annoying and not a PP presentation.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    As Dax once said, "Klingons are as diverse a people as any other"

This^^^^^^

Klingon honor is just a convenient cultural excuse to kill the bad apples. It's likely a relic of early Klingon culture; given the likely tribal origin of Klingons, and the vicious environment of Qo'noS, treachery and backstabbing have a quick, extrajudicial solution for bad apples for a very good reason: In a tribal society in a vicious, storm-swept environment, anyone who kills rivals from the shadows instead of at least challenging them to their face is not only probably weak, but also a serious danger to the survival of the tribe/clan.

It actually makes a lot of sociobiological sense. And it gives the Klingons a sort of faux-Norse feel. Plus, it let us have "Reunion", where Worf finally gets around to killing that smug TRIBBLE Duras.
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Read the book, Klingon Art of War.
    It will explain the basis of Klingon honor as per the philosophy of Kahless.

Otherwise this article and any other such look at klingon honor is flawed as the perspective is from an area of personal understanding with no basis to judge.
    Frankly the Federation is as flawed with its flexible ethics as flawed as Vulcan logic with its loop holds.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Meh, it's the same old thing over and over and over again. Move along, nothing to see here.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »

And how is any Klingon supposed to answer this considering Klingons do not exist?
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I sum it up as thus:

Honor is a concept individual to ones own code of conduct based on the social code, thus not entirely the same
    Honor is a social code (for example, akin to following the ten commandments, for example) thus is fluid as needed ("Yeah... thou shalt not kill..well, we say its fine as its a war so pick up that gun...)
    Honor is a byproduct of religion (see above) - thus reinforces the social strand of honor

If individual honor goes against social honor, then the social honor overrides it if the individual is part of said social circle due to its connection to religion and its cause and effect (ie, be dishonourable, go to Grethor, be honorable - go to stovakor)

In effect. there is two strains of honor in the Klingon mindset, intertwined with the religious basis thus like reality, where a devout person can pick up a weapon despite the religious side saying they should not and shoot to kill another and believe they are doing 'right', outside their social group they are viewed 'wrong' yet within they have done a 'good' act

This is the same as 'Honor' to a Klingon - if it feels dishonourable, the elders, the controllers of religion, can say it is honourable - thus allowing atrocities such as decimating a colony of farmers with no weapons

However, if the elders said it was dishonourable, it would be dishonourable - even if the individual thought otherwise

Taking it futher, lets say they were the victors of a battle and the enemy has surrendered/been captured:

In one case, it would be honourable to kill them, rather than subject them to slavery
    In another, it would be honourable to take them as trophies of victory
    In another, it would be honourable to release them, forever marred by their defeat and in a blood debt

All three cases would, or could be considered honourable depending on the situation. It is this I like about honor in the Klingon sense - it is not cut and dried; it is a context fluid medium that equates to our own humanity

Something the federation seems to have lost, I feel
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Read the book, Klingon Art of War.
    It will explain the basis of Klingon honor as per the philosophy of Kahless.

Otherwise this article and any other such look at klingon honor is flawed as the perspective is from an area of personal understanding with no basis to judge.
    Frankly the Federation is as flawed with its flexible ethics as flawed as Vulcan logic with its loop holds.

Don't forget that the federation of this game is nothing like the federation of the franchise lol. I could be wrong if you count shooting at everything you see as exploration though.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Don't forget that the federation of this game is nothing like the federation of the franchise lol. I could be wrong if you count shooting at everything you see as exploration though.

Its the old world Earth way of exploring. Discover, control, eradicate, and pillage.

R.I.P
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    To be fair, a major problem with Klingon honor as it works in the show is that there seems to be no way to say "I've made a mistake and have been dishonorable, I am sorry." Once you take a major action, you've committed your honor to it. Things that could be ended with a mea culpa tend to spiral out of control, instead. Humility would go a long way towards making the Klingons more palpable for some people, as they sometimes come across as arrogant barbarians without it.

Otherwise, Klingons have the same problems everyone else has. In fact, they have some of the same problems they blame Starfleet for having. The next time you're levellinga Klingon, play "Frozen" and then ask the KI guy if J'mpok will want to help the Remans.

They're not willing to attack an enemy empire with nothing to gain based on a few rumors of ancient monsters controlling everything. There's no proof of their claims, even if there is some suspicious stuff, they need solid evidence of some major stuff before committing to taking on the Romulan Empire, ect.

In other words, exactly what the Federation said about the Klingons and Undine. This will never be acknowledged.
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Its the old world Earth way of exploring. Discover, control, eradicate, and pillage.

Christopher Columbus would approve.:rolleyes:
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    To be fair, a major problem with Klingon honor as it works in the show is that there seems to be no way to say "I've made a mistake and have been dishonorable, I am sorry." Once you take a major action, you've committed your honor to it. Things that could be ended with a mea culpa tend to spiral out of control, instead. Humility would go a long way towards making the Klingons more palpable for some people, as they sometimes come across as arrogant barbarians without it.

Otherwise, Klingons have the same problems everyone else has. In fact, they have some of the same problems they blame Starfleet for having. The next time you're levellinga Klingon, play "Frozen" and then ask the KI guy if J'mpok will want to help the Remans.

They're not willing to attack an enemy empire with nothing to gain based on a few rumors of ancient monsters controlling everything. There's no proof of their claims, even if there is some suspicious stuff, they need solid evidence of some major stuff before committing to taking on the Romulan Empire, ect.

In other words, exactly what the Federation said about the Klingons and Undine. This will never be acknowledged.

Why SHOULD the Klingon Empire have helped Obisek's resistance? There literally was nothing to gain for the Empire.

I know this eventually changed.

But the Empire was at war with the Federation already and was the leader in the Alpha & Beta Quadrants in dealing with the Undine. Because nobody else, including their former ally, was doing much about it. Even AFTER proof of infiltration came about. So what would have backing a bunch of rebels hiding in a wreck do for the Empire?

Also... the Empire was right about the Undine and the Federation admitted they were dumbasses. If the Federation backed their ally long ago, the Federation-Klingon War would never have happened. The Federation would have a say back then on how to conduct business in rooting out the Undine if they acted as an ally. Since this wasn't so, it was up to the Klingon Empire to root out the Undine in the way they were best at. War.

So yeah :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Starfleet operates under the common misguided view that they are the moral superiority of the galaxy, spreading ‘humanitarianism’ like some disease, constantly seeking to ‘improve’ the lives of species beyond their own worlds in exchange for their continued presence on those worlds. It’s not a peace=keeping mission. It’s an occupation!

Klingons, at least, are forthcoming with their actions. If they say they are going to kill you, they intend to kill you. If they say they intend to let you live, they intend to kill you in your sleep. With them you always have a fighting chance because you know never to trust them fully. With Starfleet, and Humans in particular, they wear you down until the moment you fully lower your defences, then they strike – from behind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    Starfleet operates under the common misguided view that they are the moral superiority of the galaxy, spreading ‘humanitarianism’ like some disease, constantly seeking to ‘improve’ the lives of species beyond their own worlds in exchange for their continued presence on those worlds. It’s not a peace=keeping mission. It’s an occupation!

Klingons, at least, are forthcoming with their actions. If they say they are going to kill you, they intend to kill you. If they say they intend to let you live, they intend to kill you in your sleep. With them you always have a fighting chance because you know never to trust them fully. With Starfleet, and Humans in particular, they wear you down until the moment you fully lower your defences, then they strike – from behind.

^^^^^This.

Duras being the exception, of course.

But every other Klingon on the show had the decency to hit their enemies in the face, like a man.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Christopher Columbus would approve.:rolleyes:

Christopher Columbus was a ****.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Christopher Columbus was a ****.

^^^ This + 1 million. He was a worthless greedy racist slave-trading r*pist scumbag. And a greedy son of a jackal on top of that.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    ^^^ This + 1 million. He was a worthless greedy racist slave-trading r*pist scumbag. And a greedy son of a jackal on top of that.

He was an entrepreneur and an explorer. He sought fame and fortune by discovering what others thought did not exist. Granted, he THOUGHT he was sailing to India at the time… still, he was, for his time, a hero of the people and to his King.

That being said, he was also a genocidal maniac who firmly believed that once he “discovered” a new place he was obliged to slaughter any native inhabitants to make way for the Europeans, just as the Spanish did to the Mayans and Incans, and Anglo-Saxxons did to most of Europe itself.

In short, he was a product of his environment and limited intelligence, unable to see past his own glory through the blood and tears he caused.

But we get a paid holiday for him so that makes it even in the end, no?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    He was an entrepreneur and an explorer. He sought fame and fortune by discovering what others thought did not exist. Granted, he THOUGHT he was sailing to India at the time… still, he was, for his time, a hero of the people and to his King.

Queen, actually. Isabella I of Spain, if I remember rightly.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That's why Janeway gets to be an Admiral, yes. She demonstrated her crazy-chops and was thus allowed to join the Insane Admiral's Club.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Queen, actually. Isabella I of Spain, if I remember rightly.

Who also was a truly filthy human being.

Everybody romanticizes Columbus, but IRL he was like Ferengi with the systematic abuse of other cultures of the Dominion with the casual cruelty of the Breen.

Really not in any way a good person.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Point of fact, if the Klingon Empire says they will let you live that is their only intention. No subterfuge.
    The Empire has either let you live because you impressed them as a species, you are intended for conquer, or you are considered worthless and are to be left to die of your own design.
    If they intended to kill you it will be to your face or after a formal.declaration of war.

R.I.P
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Who also was a truly filthy human being.

Everybody romanticizes Columbus, but IRL he was like Ferengi with the systematic abuse of other cultures of the Dominion with the casual cruelty of the Breen.

Really not in any way a good person.

I know, I'm just a stickler for historic accuracy. :P

Onto the subject matter.

From my observations, while minor details of Klingon honour can be subjective depending on the individual or house, the generally accepted view is that;

1) Subterfuge and espionage is dishonourable.
    2) The killing of innocents (read as non-combatants) is dishonourable.
    3) Insulting a Klingon's honour demands an immediate response from the insulted Klingon, though this can vary in severity from a retort, to a headbutt, to a fight to the death.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    I know, I'm just a stickler for historic accuracy. :P

Onto the subject matter.

From my observations, while minor details of Klingon honour can be subjective depending on the individual or house, the generally accepted view is that;

1) Subterfuge and espionage is dishonourable.
    2) The killing of innocents (read as non-combatants) is dishonourable.
    3) Insulting a Klingon's honour demands an immediate response from the insulted Klingon, though this can vary in severity from a retort, to a headbutt, to a fight to the death.

I agree with all of this.

And TBH, I'm a stickler, too. :cool: