test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New fleet

guymerguymer Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Fleet System and Holdings
Hey everyone, I recently made a new fleet and want it to have active members to work together towards building an accomplished fleet. I am finding it really hard to recruit people to join, guess im looking for people that are up for a challenge like me. Is there anyway of getting active members easy ? Or is it as hard at is seems when starting out in a new fleet, im just looking forward to getting that proud feeling once ive achieved small goals along the way you know ? Please if you have any tips for me, feel free to reply, ill sure listen but also if you are interested in joining a project like this add me Guymer@guymer it would be great to have some help and support along the way. Thanks for taking the time to read this :)
Post edited by guymer on

Comments

• dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Mist people are only in it for themselves at this point...the long haul of reaching t5 base and t3 everything else is such an undertaking that the fairweather players would just be turned off by the thought.

Make a name for yourself, show you know how to build ships for super high dps or really strong pvp piloting...people may flock to you for advice.

A cool fleet name actually helps, what is yours?

Good luck
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • guymerguymer Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hey man thanks, that really makes sense thinking about it. My fleet name is Peas And Carrots, i can change it though right ?
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You can change your fleet name at any time. And best of luck on your new fleet.

Be warned though. It is going to be an uphill battle to get people in your fleet. Yes, some may flock to your fleet because of the name, or they like your website (if applicable).

Nowadays, though, there is not much in the form of new players to this game and those who are fleetless either choose not to be in a fleet, are fleet jumpers, and/or fleet bank robbers. Be careful and make sure that your Fleet Settings are set up to prevent this.

It will be hard to have people that actually stay in your fleet. Most want instant gratification and don't want to have to wait for something to be built. With the Tier 5 fleets that already have everything, it is an uphill battle to get people who will join you. Why join a new fleet when there are several maxed-out ones that you can get stuff from with little to no effort on the member's part? And with the next patch, it's going to be even harder for small fleets to survive as the devs are removing the need for outside contributors to donate Fleet Marks, which is another important part of a fleet's growth.

Below is an excerpt from the Tribble Patch notes for May 30th...

Starbases.

This project requires no other inputs than 2000 Fleet Marks.
    It is specifically designed to supply large fleets with a steady stream of Fleet Credits in return for surplus Fleet Marks.
    The Fleet Credits received from this project are *HALF* of what is received from all other projects.
    This project completes in 5 minutes after all inputs are filled.

It is will be even harder to get people who will contribute to your fleet projects. As dahminus stated, a lot of people don't want to contribute to fleet projects. It's especially hard to get people to contribute their Dilithium or Fleet Credits to buy the Embassy/Mine/Spire Provisions that you will need to complete certain projects and upgrades. When you donate your Fleet Credits for Provisioning like that, you get nothing back. This is the problem with my Fleet. I have some at least semi-active members, but it's not very often that they contribute to the fleet's growth. They "farm" for their own gear, ships, etc. and I can't say I blame them. The system is what's screwed up and it is the system that has created the mind-set in the playerbase. Meanwhile, I put everything I can into the fleet because I want it to grow. My fleet is around 3 years old and we are just now getting our starbase close to Tier 3.

You need Dilithium and Fleet Credits to buy Fleet-Level gear, ships, etc. This is why it will be hard to get people to donate.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
    edited May 2014
    Wow thanks man, good to see that you recognise it as a legit problem. Also, thanks for the good luck, just an update, im going to keep the name, I have one member that seems active, he's loyal so im exited to see how far we can get. Seems as though its going to get a lot harder though so were gonna have to step it up quick. But as i say, any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated, if you could help in any other way or even join the fleet, please mail me in game at Guymer@guymer
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Definitely requires some serious dedication, I have been running mine solo now for roughly a year.

I do not bother spamming recruiting messages, as I prefer those who would willingly join of their own free will, and dedication even though I run it as a freelance fleet.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

edited June 2014
    Yea its gonna take a while but at the moment with the 3 activate people i have we're getting fleet tasks done pretty quickly. I feel the same about recruiting messages being thrown at people, even if they do accept it would unlikely be for the reason you'd want. I done some thinking and decided to change the name to 'New Earth's Fleet' in the hope of attracting slightly more players. Thanks for all your feedback on the topic :).
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    As a fleet founding member from the start of this game, its probably not worth your effort... I have a 4+ year old now custodial fleet, T1 SB and mine woohoo.... I joined a larger T5 fleet for my actual gear needs, and keep my custodial and its bank (1 alt)so if ur after that, go for it but for real progress you will have to join a larger more established organization period (unless you wanna take decades to T5 then have fun GL and all that)
    edited June 2014
    Well i get what your saying and how your trying to help but ive had the fleet for around 3 days now and we're past a quarter of the way for a tier 1 starbase with 3 active people, perhaps your exaggerating a little there, im pretty sure we could have a star base in a week or two. Then get the mine and embassy up to scratch as I dont see the value in a spire right now.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    guymer wrote: »
    Well i get what your saying and how your trying to help but ive had the fleet for around 3 days now and we're past a quarter of the way for a tier 1 starbase with 3 active people, perhaps your exaggerating a little there, im pretty sure we could have a star base in a week or two. Then get the mine and embassy up to scratch as I dont see the value in a spire right now.

imo your best move would be to get all your holdings up to t1 and then focus on provisioning.
    once your fleet has provisions in the bank you and your members can then take advantage of public service offerings, typically amounting to people inviting you to their fleet store to spend your provisions. even if your fleet is t1 you can still shop in a t5 fleet if you have the necessary provisions.
    if you set yourself up to take advantage of that, you can leverage it to get members into your fleet and to keep them there. if youre queuing smart, doing the dirty work (like filling the doffs, doing the bulk of the dil), and letting members earn regular fleet credit to spend at t5 bases they are going to be pretty happy with what you have going.
    edited June 2014
    Some real good advice, ill definitely take it on board, thanks :).
  • jenkaljenkal Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    kintisho wrote: »
    As a fleet founding member from the start of this game, its probably not worth your effort... I have a 4+ year old now custodial fleet, T1 SB and mine woohoo.... I joined a larger T5 fleet for my actual gear needs, and keep my custodial and its bank (1 alt)so if ur after that, go for it but for real progress you will have to join a larger more established organization period (unless you wanna take decades to T5 then have fun GL and all that)

If you still have a tier 1 starbase after 4 years it means you haven't been trying hard enough, and maybe you don't have what it takes to grow a fleet. In two months our starbase has gotten to Tier II with all the secondary facilities at tier I. I have been recruiting every day and I have really great members now. My High Commanders and Commanders have given A LOT to my fleet, and I consider myself to be lucky, but at the same time I have been working hard every day to keep everyone enthusiastic about the game and recruiting new people. So if after 4 years you are Tier I, well it's your fault. Nobody said making a fleet was easy. But with help, it's possible.
  • hootenitehootenite Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You're in for a VERY great challenge indeed. At this time in the game the cost associated with building a fleet to Tier 5 are so great that unless you can muster many active players it will take years. With about 20 active player you might be able to reach Tier 3 or Tier 4 within a year, but Tier 5 will be much longer because the cost of Tier 5 is equivalent to the total cost of all previous tiers.

If you want the best chance of success, you should create something that differentiates your fleet from all the others. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of small fleet just like yours that exist purely because someone wanted to make a fleet rather than join a fleet. But, to the average person that's not a strong selling point unless you yourself are very charismatic, well known, or otherwise offer something from a personality standpoint that they can't get anywhere else.

For our fleet, the "Guardians of Equestria" which started small 2 years ago, we are now nearly 500 members and in the process of expanding to an alt fleet to house alts. We achieved this because we are a brony fleet and one of the few remaining ones in-game. So that's our gimmick and we serve our community in-game and have been able to reach Tier 5 so that our members do not have to rely on others who may choose to refuse us. Our KDF fleet, the "Night Guards of Equestria", are close behind. Also we operate under a Charter, a written social contract, and the fleet is run in a fairly democratic way. So, what we offer our members is a lot beyond the tangible stuff - the ability to offer a safe, fun, community of gamers with a common interest outside of the game predated our capacity to supply them with high level gear. It was because of our ability to grow our community that it enabled us to get the active members needed to build out our assets.

My point in all that is that if you truly want to start small and get a good dedicated group, find something intangible to offer them like a community, support, friendship - something that they don't get from the "Earn X amount of Fleet Credits each month to join" crowd and you'll get there.... eventually.
  • vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have a very small fleet myself so I'm the only person contributing to projects but doing ok. As far as getting fleet members, good luck there, most people on the game now are either looking for a fleet that's already maxed out or they just want to grab some fleet gear and split. Won't find too many people left, if any, that's willing to join a new fleet and help it grow any.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Having a funny name probably helps. Who wants to be in Task Force 783 or STF Elite Squad 69? That's lame.