test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help for a Qin Heavy Raptor

hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Klingon Discussion
Me again. Didn't see a recent thread for this, so I guess I need to start a new one.

I've just finished kitting out a Qin raptor in full fleet gear, except for the shield/dish/engines - I currently have the full 3-piece Borg set there, but I'm wondering if there's a better option.

(Cannons front, turrets rear, one torpedo each.)

EDIT: A fleetmate just told me "Honor Guard dish and engines, Fleet Resilient ResB shields." Yes, no?
Post edited by hfmudd on

Comments

• warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Don't know too much since we have no idea what your build is.

Your friend suggested the 2 pieces for the Honor Guard set due to the Torpedo Damage bonus.

I'll also link you to some of my inputs that a Fed had to stuff onto his Gal-X. Yes, it's a different ship and playstyle, but the foundations of the sets remain the same.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • jaegernljaegernl Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    hfmudd wrote: »
    Me again. Didn't see a recent thread for this, so I guess I need to start a new one.

I've just finished kitting out a Qin raptor in full fleet gear, except for the shield/dish/engines - I currently have the full 3-piece Borg set there, but I'm wondering if there's a better option.

(Cannons front, turrets rear, one torpedo each.)

EDIT: A fleetmate just told me "Honor Guard dish and engines, Fleet Resilient ResB shields." Yes, no?

Hi there!

Well, first off, it would be much easier to give any and all advice if you would share with us what your current build is on a STO Academy page. That way, we can give pointers on several things, instead of just giving you general advice that may or may not suit your build or what you are intending to do with your Qin.

Also, are you going to do PvE or PvP?
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Devotion Paladin
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Sorry about that - I figured that the information in the original post would be enough, but here's some more details.

STO Academy Build Link

Tac, PVE only.

If, for some reason, the weapon types don't show up on the tac consoles, that's 3x Vuln Locator (Dis) and 1 for (Quantum P).
    edited May 2014
    That's a nice little Qin you have there. I've always loved the look of that ship.

Set wise: The Borg set is still a pretty solid choice. However, the shields only provide plasma resistance, which is fine if you do Borg STF's, but are less effective when doing other queued evets, where enemies use different energy types.

One of the main setups a lot of people use is two pieces of borg (Deflector and Engine) with a Fleet Shield. They provide nice resistances across the board, and even more-so when you use the appropriate shield (ResA or ResB) for the right enemies. I usually buy both of them. I'd recommend a Resillient, as it lessens the bleedthrough while still providing a good amount of shield hitpoints. The Borg 2-piece is there for the hull proc, which, while recently toned-down, still provides a nice amount of hull healing when it triggers.

Another option, if you're loving your torpedo's, is the thing your fleetmate suggested: Honor Guard with a Fleet Shield. Extra torpedo damage is always nice, however, you will take a slight hit in survivability - the borg hull proc does proc a lot. It's still a high healer when parsing matches.

A third option I might suggest, seeing as you don't run a plasmonic leech, is to use the Adapted KHG or MACO shield. It provides good resistances to plasma, more-so that the Borg, and will give you added power levels on being hit. I'd use that together with the Borg set, but you could also use the normal KHG set for added torpedo bang.

With that out of the way, I hope you don't mind me giving you some other suggestions that can improve your performance.

1) You're not going to have enemies in your aft quarter much, so a torpedo there won't fire as much. You might want to switch out the torpedo for a Kinetic Cutting Beam (360' arc) and drop one neutronium for the Assimilated console.

The reason for that is that the 2pc borg weapon set has a nifty proc that provides added weapon power and weapon power drain resistance, which will - overall - make sure you fire your weapons at maximum power more often.

Also, dropping the neutronium will give you a slight hit in turn rate and hull resistances, but I think both will be negliable. Hull resistances have massive deminishing returns. If you go into orbit around Qo'nos and check your resistances with and without the third neutronium, I'm sure you will notice not much of a difference.

2) You might want to consider using the Gravimetric Photon Torpedo on the front, especially if you have some points in Particle Generators. Right now, there's a lot of boosts for Photon available, via the Reputation system, and this torp has the nice 'mini-gravity well' proc, which does some nice, shield ignoring, damage. The High-Yield version is targetable, though. Might want to consider another Spread. Oh, and it's pretty.

3) Engineering Team 1: I'd replace this with another Emergency Power to Shields. Emergency Power to Shields has a shield-healing component, a damage resistance component on the power itself, and a passive resistance component by increasing your shield power. With two of those, you have it up 100% of the time. Oh, and I think the healing component is boosted by your two Science consoles.

4) Switch around Hazard Emitters 2 and Science Team 1. Hazard 1 will provide plenty of healing and cleansing of debuffs, especially if you use it with an Aux battery. Science Team 2 will give you more "bang for the buck" with your Emitter Arrays.

Oh, and to return to the set-part: If you don't mind a bit of a grind, you can just grind all of the sets and try them out. I switch sets out all the time, because I like the *feel* of a set better at that time. Advice might be helpful, but in the end you'll have to find out what suits your playstyle best.
    edited May 2014
    Holy wall of text batman.

Oh, and for any more questions: Just leave them here.
    edited May 2014
    Oh, a set I neglected to mention, and something you might want to check out, is the Solanae set. It's a lot easier to obtain, if you don't mind running missions, and is actually quite decent as far as mission rewarded sets go.

The shields are resillient with a decent cap, and provide 10% extra resistances.

The deflector provides added accuracy, which translates into more hits and a bit of critical hit 'overflow', and provides Particle Generators. I love Particle Generators because they boost the Gravimetric rift I meantioned earlier.

The engines are rather cool, in my opinion. They provide a 25% chance to boost your speed and turn on getting hit, which stacks up to five times. Pretty nifty.

You probably don't want to drop the AMP core, because the Warp Core on the Solanae set is only obtainable via the grind for the 'free' Dyson destroyer a while back, and the AMP core is quite good.

The 3-pc Solanae will give you 'Structural Integrity Leech', with will give your weapons a chance to proc a heal on your own hull.

If you did manage to get the 4-pc, you can check out the Metaphasic Shielding. It's basicly a 3 min cooldown RSP with added hull resistance.
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Unlike some people, I don't mind reading. And I do appreciate you taking the time to explain the reasoning behind your suggestions.

I'm fond of the Qin too. I do mix mine up just a little, preferring the 'down' pylons and 'armored' nacelles of the Birok style, but keeping the Qin nose; I just recently (less than a month ago) switched from my faithful original that I'd had for a couple of years to the Mirror version, swapping out that redundant Ens Tac for a much more useful Ens Eng.

Definitely getting the Fleet shield (at this moment, in fact - tabbing between this post and the game), but I may end up keeping the other two pieces of the Borg set. The hull heal is nice, but I'm very meh on the shield proc and the tractor beam, and something that's good for all endgame content - like an Elite Resilient ResB Adapt - will probably serve me better. With the pile o' marks this shuttle weekend is producing, I'll likely get the KHG set also, and try them both, as you suggest.

I admit to/plead personal preference on having a rear torp vs. a cutting beam - might not be as good in stats, but I just like it that way. *shrug* (And see below.)

I use the gravtorp on other characters (and it's everything you say, especially in my Fed Tac Armitage ALL THE TORPEDOES build), but this one (my second, ever) got put aside before Dyson came out, and now I'm not sure if I'll ever run him through it. Even with sponsorship to smooth the way... eh, I dunno. It's not just not wanting to go through the Dyson grind again; I also like my characters to feel at least somewhat different, rather than all being stamped from a mold. (Can you guess that several of them are attached to an RP fleet?) Personal preference again - that's why, e.g., most of my "engineer" BOffs have at least ET1, and my primary and secondary Tac BOff abilities often get assigned on the basis of "helmsman" and "gunner". And I do have access to Plasmonic Leech, but so far I only use it for the Nausicaan pirate whose destroyer it came with. But I also don't want to cripple myself, and so I ask people (like you) who aren't rubbish with numbers and builds for advice, and try to balance concept with effectiveness.

(On the gripping hand, stuff like that third Neutronium or switching SciT with HazE doesn't matter much to me, so I'll look into it. :) )

Thanks again.
    edited May 2014
    You're welcome, although I just noticed I basicly copied what Warmaker linked earlier. Herp-a-derp.

I agree with you on the mold thing, though. I generally approach questions like these from a PvP-standpoint (disclaimer: no pro) so I tend to go with performance first, and personal preference last. I only just recently have been switching around my layouts for PvE and PvP, just because I feel I have to make PvE a lot more enjoyable for myself.
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A Great pve mix-up build that I use for my fleet veteran destroyer are omega shields and deflector (tetryon glider for shield stripping from set bonus and energy wake proc from shield boosts turn rate) together with the solane engines for even more turn rate proc bonus. I run 5 disruptor beams, borg cutting beam, and I switch between the dyson and undine torp. I cycle faw 1 and 2, and tirp spread 3. It's an absolute blast to pve in and I highly recommend it.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif