test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Global News : Ukraine

originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Ten Forward
The most recent release on a daily on the ground reporting of the near civil war.

The video is slightly graphic.

I also highly recommend watching "The Fight for Ukraine: Last Days of the Revolution " Fair warning it is for a mature audience only.

I posted this because I thought fellow trekkers could appreciate such an important moment in history that could spiral out of control and destabilize the entire region, and VICE has done a fantastic job at posting authentic and undoctored and timely official reports.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I do, thanks... after all, remember that star trek, behind its fictional curtain, deals with political, moral and spiritual issues... and doesn't the Ukraine case remind you a little of Bajor in DS9?
    P58WJe7.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I do, thanks... after all, remember that star trek, behind its fictional curtain, deals with political, moral and spiritual issues... and doesn't the Ukraine case remind you a little of Bajor in DS9?

Indeed, I never thought of it that way. I think its important that people know what is happening there, as major nations are looking at it closely from a NATO perspective, it could be a chain reaction of annexing countries, and global sabre rattling.
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think the only reason the US hasnt been invaded yet is the gun owners. The military is strong true, but you would have to search and quarantine a few hundred million Americans while fighting a war...and them. You wouldnt know who was the cream puffs and who was the chuck norris's of the bunch until it was too late. This tactic is what overcame England when we established the US. They would run into the same nightmare Russia did when they went after Afghanistan. Even with superior tech and budget, they where stung into submission and had to flee from rag tag guerrillas.

Yeah, Trek was created based off of real world issues and politics, its interesting how people treat something for real, after watching an intellectual approach based on logic and reason on trek debates within the shows, it can really show you where we are at in our progress....maybe progress isnt the word for it! =O.o=
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    Ukraine has a choice between being mugged off by the imf, or mugged off by the kremlin. either way, ukrainians lose and the rats in their government take payoffs. still funny watching indoctrinated cretins on both sides claim their own brand of imperialism is what will save Ukrainians.:rolleyes:

that Ukraine owes several billion dollars in unpaid gas bills just muddies the waters further.

you talking about whats happening in afgan now? cause thats what's happening to the us forces right now.

I was referring to Russias assault a few decades ago, since the news is doctored im not really sure whats going on there today, the soldiers would...I have a cousin who came back badly injured, since they shoot at doctors too! :/

Its a shame we cant deal with things like in Trek, people can get along given time, governments never have and never will!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    you cant expect something that is foundationally, both morally and rationally fallacious, to result in something moral or rational.

It will always be asking too much for the world to get along, even in the face of a common foe they would turn on each other. I think thats why i like trek, its fiction but its at least trys for a rational approach when dealing with politics...or at least thats the impression i got from tng
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2014

not really, ukraine emerged from the ashes of the former USSR, before this there was no ukraine but it was ruled by a group of cossacks called the zaporizhian host. so really i cant see where the comparison comes into it as bajor was around a lot longer the cardassians or humans.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The root of these problems comes from 1954 when the Crimea and Eastern parts were put into the Ukrainian SSR.

Since 1991, there has been unrest over this issue.

There in is the root of the problem
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      US has placed sanctions on the Russian federation. China has signed new trade agreements with them. NATO has begun to have strategic discussions on Defensive positioning of forces. Putin views NATO as a Hostile Organization.US has also accused China of hacking corporate websites, and stealing Trade secrets.
      I get the feeling we are witnessing the early stages of Cold War 2.
    • Options
      edited May 2014
      I would like to post more videos as they are uploaded from the situation specifically, I just want to know I am not violating any TOU for doing so. My thoughts are that the current situation is extremely important in the world right now, and the better people are informed on who is doing what without the filtered edits of corporations, and and people who get paid to fudge the truth as opposed to talking about information as it happens. My hope is the majority of people here with the Trekker/Trekkie mindset be enlightened and empowered by this historical data (as I believe they are the most mature, understanding, and unbiased people on the planet) , and to use their knowledge and understanding of such data to make a better world. As a disclaimer I will note and particular graphic imagery attached to the videos as well.

Thanks,

LLAP
    • Options
      jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      My best source for Ukranian news is here. It's a thread at Steve Jackson Games' forum that got semi-locked because it kept degenerating into American (and anti-American) political arguments; now the only person allowed to post in it is "Vicky Molokh", a gamer who lives in Kyiv and has some insight into how actual Ukrainians feel about all this.
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    • Options
      theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      We'll have to see what the election results are today, it could all hinge on that result
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • Options
        starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
        edited May 2014
        jonsills wrote: »
        My best source for Ukranian news is here. It's a thread at Steve Jackson Games' forum that got semi-locked because it kept degenerating into American (and anti-American) political arguments; now the only person allowed to post in it is "Vicky Molokh", a gamer who lives in Kyiv and has some insight into how actual Ukrainians feel about all this.

This is probably the only acceptable type of news source for the Ukraine situation. Any news organization will put in their own bias into the news and likely to make it seem worse that it actually is. There are some news organization that actually try to report the news as it is, but there are very few of them. We are not in the Ukraine so we have no idea how bad it is.

After all, take a look at how the media oversensationalizes news stories. If I was a worried parent, then I would be tempted to take my kids out of school due to all the kids bringing guns to school. News stories about horrible events get better ratings than news stories about good events which makes the world seem like a nastier place than it actually is.
      • Options
        edited May 2014
        We'll have to see what the election results are today, it could all hinge on that result
        And on whether the results are seen as legitimate; there's been considerable interference with polling in the eastern regions, and the Russian Federation is already calling the Ukrainian government names and insinuating that they're cheating (although apparently the only pre-marked ballots found so far have been for the other side).
        Lorna-Wing-sig.png
      • Options
        artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
        edited May 2014
        I just wish BBC news remembers occasionaly it's not THE Ukraine
        22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
        Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
        JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
        'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
        'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
        '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
        'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
        '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
      • Options
        ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
        edited May 2014
        And on whether the results are seen as legitimate; there's been considerable interference with polling in the eastern regions, and the Russian Federation is already calling the Ukrainian government names and insinuating that they're cheating (although apparently the only pre-marked ballots found so far have been for the other side).

Actually, the Russian President has said he will respect the outcome of the election and work with whomever is elected.
      • Options
        steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
        edited May 2014

In the midst of Vicky's reporting of voting events, she posts this curious item:
        Darth Vader has been denied his voting papers because he refused to take of the helmet.

at first I laughed at the oddity of the comment, but now I'm wondering: did Vicky mean that someone was afraid to be seen, and therefore wore a mask to the voting booth?

next question: why am I not hearing of the UN putting international peacekeeping forces at voting booths to (hopefully) stabilize the situation? I'm regrettably uninformed of the UN blue berets' role (or lack of one) in this.
      • Options
        starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
        edited May 2014
        at first I laughed at the oddity of the comment, but now I'm wondering: did Vicky mean that someone was afraid to be seen, and therefore wore a mask to the voting booth?

Someone dressed up as Darth Vader and was trying to become the Ukraine President, but his candidacy was rejected due to obvious reasons. Now he is trying for mayor in various Ukrainian cities, but I suspect that he will be rejected as well since I believe you have to be a current resident of the city for a certain period of time.
      • Options
        ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
        edited May 2014
        In the midst of Vicky's reporting of voting events, she posts this curious item:

next question: why am I not hearing of the UN putting international peacekeeping forces at voting booths to (hopefully) stabilize the situation? I'm regrettably uninformed of the UN blue berets' role (or lack of one) in this.

The UN Security Council has to agree to send in Peacekeepers, and Russia is on the Security Council. Each member can veto any motion by the Council, including Russia.
      • Options
        eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
        edited May 2014
        That is because Russia is now trying to legitimize its annexation of the Crimea and they are basically pointing a finger at the Pro-Russian rebels who was armed and trained by the Russians saying that is why we went into Crimea, because of the unrest and we are protecting our people, yet, every other country is saying but you caused the unrest.

Besides the fact, that Putin went on Russian TV saying those are not our troops last month to this month, yes those were our troops. Despite, everybody else saying (including the troops) that those are Russian troops.

Also, the US has not been invaded since the 19th Century, because no nation has the capabilities to do so, since the mid-60s when satellite, radar, and airborne surveillance acquired the ability to see far into anyone's country.

The US pulled out of Afghanistan due to the Afghani Government not the Taliban or other Taliban-alliied insurrectionist groups.
      • Options
        edited May 2014
        ryan218 wrote: »
        Actually, the Russian President has said he will respect the outcome of the election and work with whomever is elected.
        He's also said four times now that he's pulling back troops from the border with Ukraine. Hasn't happened yet. It might be worth recalling that Putin used to be a KGB director, back during the days of the USSR.

(BTW, for what it's worth, Vicky's a guy - he's one of three guys in his gaming group named "Viktor", so he uses a nickname.)
        Lorna-Wing-sig.png
      • Options
        askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
        edited May 2014
        I would like to post more videos as they are uploaded from the situation specifically, I just want to know I am not violating any TOU for doing so. My thoughts are that the current situation is extremely important in the world right now, and the better people are informed on who is doing what without the filtered edits of corporations, and and people who get paid to fudge the truth as opposed to talking about information as it happens. My hope is the majority of people here with the Trekker/Trekkie mindset be enlightened and empowered by this historical data (as I believe they are the most mature, understanding, and unbiased people on the planet) , and to use their knowledge and understanding of such data to make a better world. As a disclaimer I will note and particular graphic imagery attached to the videos as well.

Thanks,

LLAP

The rules do say you cannot post political threads as it always turns into a cluster shoot of trolling, anti this anti that and what not and no, mature videos aren't going to be allowed to be linked regardless.

That said, I get what's going on in Ukraine is a very huge deal to many people, including myself, due to either just intrigue or because they have friends/family over there (which I do). There is no easy out on this. I could just ignore it, go about my merry way but sooner or later either myself, bluegeek, trevor or morrigan would have to step in and start issuing warnings/infractions because sadly, our experience tells us this will only end badly.

Ultimately, I do get it is a big deal in the world, but unfortunately this is not the place to discuss it. The reason being is it is a political hot button and sooner or later someone will go anti-american, anti-russian, anti-ukranian etc etc and it'll just go ballistic and sadly none of us have the time to monitor and moderate it 24/7.

Soo TL;DR - Thread's being closed as it discusses a political situation.
        Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
        Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
        Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

This discussion has been closed.