What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Am I the only one getting bored ?

13»

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    earwigvr6 wrote: »
    I see quite a few people saying to create alts ?

Surely creating Alts would mean just doing the EXACT same thing over and over just as I have been with my current toons ?
    Well, for one thing you can create 1 character for each Faction. That gives you 3 different storylines to follow - at least for the first 35-40 levels.

There are also other ways to level a new Alt. For example, I have a character who, after Level 5, went all the way to 50 only doing Foundry Missions. Every adventure was a new play experience for me - and it was a slower progression so I did not go from 1-50 in 25 /played hours. There are enough unique Foundry Missions to level 10 alts and never do the same Mission twice.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • earwigvr6earwigvr6 Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Of course the other issue I forgot about alts is having to buy everything again....

Bank slots, inventory slots, BOFF slots etc..... I have already piled hundreds of $ into this game and I simply refuse to do so again. Had they been account wide locks I would have happily done it.

I am a gold member and also buy zen for ships etc and I also have to keep repeatedly buying the EXACT same thing for each toon ? Sorry but that just disgusts me and turns me away....
    edited May 2014
    Of course the other issue I forgot about alts is having to buy everything again....

Bank slots, inventory slots, BOFF slots etc..... I have already piled hundreds of $ into this game and I simply refuse to do so again. Had they been account wide locks I would have happily done it.

I am a gold member and also buy zen for ships etc and I also have to keep repeatedly buying the EXACT same thing for each toon ? Sorry but that just disgusts me and turns me away....
    Did you ever think maybe you do not need all those extra Bank Slots, Inventory Slots, Boff Slots, etc? I am an Gold Member and I have never purchased any of those things.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Surely creating Alts would mean just doing the EXACT same thing over and over just as I have been with my current toons?
    rofl... Yeah, there is a sense of irony to this game.
    NUKARA is tetryon, not antiproton.

Anyways, people with a lot of alts will be getting bored sooner. Its an universal rule.
    I have only one alt, and I am already bored.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Am I bored? Yeah somewhat to be fair. I've also been here for over 4 years playing STO and for mostly 3 years I was playing daily for at least 5 hours hehe so it was bound to happen.

Not to mention I now have real life things that gotta be handled. But also I learned years ago to not just play one MMO constant all the time. I play multiple even now (I play STO, TOR, NW, CO on occasion) and then I have little games I play or my ps3/xbox.

Always being in one mmo can be draining and yes, very very boring so try others. You might find a few you like and take time away from STO, or play both.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited May 2014

One of the biggest things IMO to turn this game around is also the simplest.

Kill all the power creep, dump it right back down to next to nothing. All my ships currently do in excess of 20kdps and some over 30k... Its ridiculous but something you feel pushed into by the games mechanics.

If we were back in the days when most people did 2-3k dps and the really well geared up guys struggles to hit 10k dps then the content we have would last far longer, be far more fun.

Or give everything 10X hitpoints compared to what they have now ?

You could nerf your own ship by unslotting any Doffs and also remove some tactical consoles.

I purposefully run un-optimized ships for my Fed and KDF toons which are max level. I have no slotted Doffs and so far I only use gear that can be bought on the Exchange for 200k EC or less. The only exceptions are 2 Solanae pieces from "A Step Between Stars" and Phasers / Plasma-Disruptor Hybrids from "Everything Old is New" / "Second Star To The Right...". I am working on the rep systems, but have not bought any equipment yet.

I know my ships are pretty basic builds (Sovereign / Hegh'ta) for elite STFs and on occassions I do blow up (mostly my BoP), but I like the challenge thus far that I an facing. Sure, other players my have double or triple my DPS, but I do not focus on DPS. I focus on having fun and if I get to the point where I am completing elite STFs in less than 5 minutes and I no longer find doing them or anything else in STO to be fun, then it is probably time to move on to a different game.
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Well, for one thing you can create 1 character for each Faction. That gives you 3 different storylines to follow - at least for the first 35-40 levels.
    While the main story lines are different, the endgame for each faction is the same. Federation, KDF, and Romulan tactical officers all end with a reputation and fleet holding system.
    edited May 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    While the main story lines are different, the endgame for each faction is the same. Federation, KDF, and Romulan tactical officers all end with a reputation and fleet holding system.
    So? Are you in it for the journey or the destination? If it is the journey you can play all 3 Factions and then play thousands of Foundry missions. If it is the destination then just consider it done and go find something else to play. People do that with Console games every single day of the week. When you are done with GTA you put away GTA and buy something else. Now might just be your time to put away STO - at least until the new Expansion Pack comes out.
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Surely creating Alts would mean just doing the EXACT same thing over and over just as I have been with my current toons ?

I simply cannot bare the thought of repeating the same old grind over and over for new alts. That is essentially what I, and seemingly many others want to try and avoid.

And since the game is based around how many millions of DMG you can do in a second, the idea of a Sci, Healer or something else just doesn't warrant a second thought.

ISE for me is usually done in under 2 minutes from start to finish. If I decided to use a Sci alt.... What good would he be ? Nothing to heal as people kill things faster and faster with the power creep and I couldn't do any respectable dmg to keep up with them. Only choices are Engineer and Tac, which is a shame.

One of the biggest things IMO to turn this game around is also the simplest.

Kill all the power creep, dump it right back down to next to nothing. All my ships currently do in excess of 20kdps and some over 30k... Its ridiculous but something you feel pushed into by the games mechanics.

If we were back in the days when most people did 2-3k dps and the really well geared up guys struggles to hit 10k dps then the content we have would last far longer, be far more fun.

Or give everything 10X hitpoints compared to what they have now ?

The game is what the individual makes of it.

There is a perceived expectation that everyone must be putting out maximum damage otherwise you are not pulling your load. It's also nice to be able to solo a cube and feel powerful but what's the cost in being able to do what took hundreds ships to do at the Battle of Wolf 359?

If YOU are not having fun with the content being so easy then stop contributing to the power creep and make the content more challenging by dialing down your damage and start relying more on tactics and teamwork.

If you feel that this sounds like fun and you want to try to find other like minded players, take a look at my signature. Star Trek Battles channel is a group of players that play STO with a more Star Trek feel with more canon builds, lower DPS and... teamwork. We are not a fleet.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    BTW: Nukara gives Tet for space, and AP for ground.... does it make sense? Who cares? :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg