test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Trying to plan a European holiday

jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Ten Forward
Well, since I'm half Polish, I decided to go on a European holiday. So, in Poland, I'm going to Wroclaw and Warsaw, trying to stop anywhere I can. Then, in Germany, I'm going to Munich and Berlin, France I'll go to Paris and other beautiful places. But a question, should I go to, Russia, Italy, the Czech Republic or Britain? I can choose two of those places. And whereabouts should I go? I want to choose the cheapest, yet best, places. So, Where should I go out of Russia, Italy, the Czech republic or Britain? Please help, I can't decide :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by jmaster29 on

Comments

• Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well, as a Brit, I'd like to be advising you to pay a visit to our shores; but if you're looking for a cheap holiday... yeah, don't come here. It's actually a little worrying seeing how much cheaper everything is when I go on holiday some place.

So... I guess I'd have to suggest Italy. Beautiful and fascinating country. Couldn't comment on the other two; never really looked into them.
  • Options
    jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    capnmanx wrote: »
    Well, as a Brit, I'd like to be advising you to pay a visit to our shores; but if you're looking for a cheap holiday... yeah, don't come here. It's actually a little worrying seeing how much cheaper everything is when I go on holiday some place.

So... I guess I'd have to suggest Italy. Beautiful and fascinating country. Couldn't comment on the other two; never really looked into them.

Well, I've been to Britain before, and I liked it. But, I'm really deciding to go to a place I like and know, or a place that I've only stopped off at on a plane.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I know that everyone visiting the UK wants to see everything in London, and there is a lot to see, but I recommend heading out of the city a little way to Windsor. That was my neck of the woods while I was growing up there. The castle is amazing, and almost entirely open to visitors, if the Queen isn't there at the time (she mostly spends her weekends there). The town itself is also worth a look, and there are very nice walks along the river Thames that quickly get you out into the countryside. It's easy to get to by train from London, and very close to Heathrow airport too, making it a nice relaxing point to catch your bearings after a long flight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Bucking the trend, if you plan on visiting Britain, go to Scotland, Edinburgh and Glasgow are fantastic places to visit and a lot cheaper than London.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    oldkirkfanoldkirkfan Member Posts: 1,263 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Rent this, and use it as a guideline... :D
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You're not even going to visit Holland? Might be a good choice though :eek::D.
  • Options
    shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jmaster29 wrote: »
    I want to choose the cheapest, yet best, places. So, Where should I go out of Russia, Italy, the Czech republic or Britain? Please help, I can't decide :)

Czech republic: Only been to Prague. Was lovely. Wasn't too pricey. Went in February, was busy but not rammed. Kept to the Old Town though, didn't go near the new bit but we were kept occupied for 3 or 4 days.

Russia: not been, but the future-wife did the Trans Siberian express through it and on into China. She enjoyed it. Can't say much more myself really. I think she did pay £7 for a can of Strongbow cider which costs a quid over here, but then she was daft enough to buy it.

Britain: Pricey, depending on where you're going (a pint that costs £5 in a bar in London will cost £2.50 up where I live) but that's the same everywhere. I paid £20 for two pints of lager in Paris, and that get's you a round at my parent's local near Limoges. There is a shed-load of stuff to do here though and if your prepared for it, it's so quick to get from point a to point b because we're so small. You can get a train from London to Leeds that takes under 3 hours. To most people from here, that sounds like a nightmare journey, but it really isn't. I would pretty much recommend getting out of London if you want a relatively cheap holiday in the UK, and if you don't have a ton of luggage, it's easier than you'd think.

Italy. I have to say, I'm kind of skewed about it but I would go for this even if it is a bit more pricey. Particularly if you go for Tuscany. We went to Florence for 3 or 4 nights a couple of years ago and since Cyd was there again for a conference last September we decided to basically just repeat the same holiday. Florence is awesome. Seemed no more or less expensive than Paris or London to me. Venice is awesome too. But if you go to Tuscany, try and get to San Gimignano (and try and spend the night there: it's rammed during the day, really quiet in the evening) especially if you've played Assassins Creed 2.

Basically: I love Italy. I like the UK, but I'm from here and so a bit biased.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jmaster29 wrote: »
    Well, since I'm half Polish, I decided to go on a European holiday. So, in Poland, I'm going to Wroclaw and Warsaw, trying to stop anywhere I can. Then, in Germany, I'm going to Munich and Berlin, France I'll go to Paris and other beautiful places. But a question, should I go to, Russia, Italy, the Czech Republic or Britain? I can choose two of those places. And whereabouts should I go? I want to choose the cheapest, yet best, places. So, Where should I go out of Russia, Italy, the Czech republic or Britain? Please help, I can't decide :)

uk is a s-hole, especially ran down areas of london, luton, manchester and such. if you have it set in your head to visit the uk, while london may appear to be alluring, its full of confusing one way streets and terribly expensive. there are other towns around that offer a second to none experience close to london in apperance, so go looking around.

if your planning on russia, it would be a good idea to get a request to visit there first, i dont think they allow visitors to just hop over with a passport. would suggest if you dont want to get a cold or whatever, the best places are near the georgia, azerbaijan, kazakhstan, ukraine area, between the seas, but stay east of Krasnodar though because of that ukraine/russian conflict going on.

Italy has a lot of places that you could visit, some of them from the days from history have unfortunately turned into a living space or attraction near a town or village that sprouted up nearby, monterriggioni and forli for example. still, plenty of places to get lost in, florence, venezia, roma again for example. central europe does a lot of good food... and no cakes are not a lie and cookies are not a dark side creation :P.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited May 2014
    Why not come visit our one of kind Metropolis of "Laaaaaaaaaaaaas Vegas" down in Nevada, USA!!!!
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You should visit Gibraltar and chill with the Gibraltar monkeys.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If you're planning to visit the UK, I'd personally suggest either Norwich or Colchester. Both have a lot of history and are pretty nice as cities/towns. It's also not as expensive as London.

Or if you want somewhere cheaper, Bury St Edmunds and Ipswich in Suffolk are rather charming.