test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Free T5 access, always a good thing?

rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
Firstly, I want to start by paying tribute to those who so generously make their T5 bases freely available.

They don't have to do it, and it's been very helpful to many people.

However, I have a nagging concern about the practise, regarding what I believe to be an unintended consequence.

I think the practise is a strong influence on the rising price of zen.

The fleet holdings act as sinks in the economy, this is well known.

As fleet holdings are completed, the supply of dilithium goes up and prices increase.

We usually speak of how, now the T5s are done, there is more dilithium around.

However, I wonder how many lower level fleets have stalled in their progression, as the incentive to grow is somewhat stifled by the lessened need to grow.

Why finish a tier 2 engineering tier, when you can just get an invite to a T5 base?

Tl;dr

I am concerned that free T5 access is slowing lower fleet progression down significantly, with a knock on effect on the price of zen.
Post edited by rinkster on

Comments

• centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    And people wonder why oligopolies are so hard to break. :rolleyes:
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm not sure, Rinkster. Maybe the need for Fleet Credits before you can get anything at a T5 starbase?

:: shrugs ::
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm not sure, Rinkster. Maybe the need for Fleet Credits before you can get anything at a T5 starbase?

Basically this. T5 bases have a difficult time offering enough ways for members to earn FCs. The logical process is that people earn FCs in their own Fleet and then temporarily join a T5 Fleet to buy what they want. Then they return to earn more FCs for future purchases.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Fleet credit is easy.

Marks generate lots, doffs and so on.

But a low level fleet can easily generate provisions and FC without completing the big dilithium sink projects.

It's the disincentive to donate large piles of dilithium that I see as an issue.
    edited May 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Fleet credit is easy.

But a low level fleet can easily generate provisions and FC without completing the big dilithium sink projects.

It's the disincentive to donate large piles of dilithium that I see as an issue.

If this is a dilithium issue, aren't most of the higher-end equipment in Starbases require dilithium?
    (UFP) Ragnar
    edited May 2014
    If this is a dilithium issue, aren't most of the higher-end equipment in Starbases require dilithium?

Yup, a fleet console costs dilithium

However, a few consoles aren't anything like the dilithium sink a tier three holding is, let alone tier four and five.

And Cosmic makes a good point regarding members of tier five fleets getting FC.

However, wouldn't that situation be eased if, instead of opening a tier five base, said members were seconded to lower level fleets to level them up?
    edited May 2014
    However, wouldn't that situation be eased if, instead of opening a tier five base, said members were seconded to lower level fleets to level them up?

I think that would be a social dynamic in the player community than anything.
    (UFP) Ragnar
    edited May 2014
    I think that would be a social dynamic in the player community than anything.

Bit like the Tier five invites then.

Thing is, broadly speaking, you can do three things with dilithium.

Buy stuff for yourself, donate it to your fleet or turn it into zen.

Fleet donations use it up the fastest and control the amount of dilithium in the system more than the other two

If donating doesn't happen, either because your base is already tier five or because you don't need that tier three thing when there's an open tier five just there, then we get the pressure we've seen recently driving the price of zen up.

And those small fleets are at greater risk of stalling.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Being in a small fleet with only a T2 Starbase, locking off access to higher bases and holdings wouldn't get me to contribute any more than I already do. In fact, it would do the opposite. I would instantly lose all interest in the fleet system and abandon it entirely.

The way the system is now, I can take my time with a few of my friends and casually build up our fleet as we go along while still getting all the goodies from higher level fleets. This has actually encouraged fleet contributions rather than stifling them. Before it became widely known that we could buy top tier fleet stuff from other fleets, I had absolutely no interest in the fleet system. I looked at the handful of friends in my fleet and saw an insurmountable grind. We would never, ever finish it all. So my contributions were near zero. Once I learned that I could get the good stuff without being forced into an impossible grind scenario, I suddenly found myself doing a fair amount of contributing to projects and even having fun doing it along side my buddies.

This actually helps small fleets instead of hurting us. We no longer feel the need to try to recruit en mass or jump ship to a larger fleet just to get stuff. If they were to lock it off, I imagine a whole lot of small fleets suddenly and swiftly dying off in favor of people flocking to the already larger and built up fleets. Competition for donating stuff to get fleet credits in those larger fleets is already a problem for many of their members. The sudden influx of new people would further exacerbate the issue.

The end result would be small fleets dying off and larger fleets choking to death with everyone trying to get fleet creds. I don't think that's something anyone wants.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Basically this. T5 bases have a difficult time offering enough ways for members to earn FCs. The logical process is that people earn FCs in their own Fleet and then temporarily join a T5 Fleet to buy what they want. Then they return to earn more FCs for future purchases.

Unless they want a higher-tier fleet ship, they don't have to do that. What I see is a lot of the opposite, people in large fleets dropping out temporarily to earn credits in a smaller fleet, then come back.

But regardless of which way it goes, the fleet that has the provisions produced the credits, and the credits came from resources being dumped. It's possible this has influenced the dil exchange- unlike the doff-heavy 1000XP starbase projects, the important provision projects all require a nice chunk of dil.

And the other results of free access are:
    • People who never expected to have access to Elite Fleet gear can buy it easily
    • People who want such gear don't have to feel pressured to join large fleets
    • People who were charging far too much for access get screwed

I'm OK with all of that.
    edited May 2014
    Unless they want a higher-tier fleet ship, they don't have to do that. What I see is a lot of the opposite, people in large fleets dropping out temporarily to earn credits in a smaller fleet, then come back.

But regardless of which way it goes, the fleet that has the provisions produced the credits, and the credits came from resources being dumped. It's possible this has influenced the dil exchange- unlike the doff-heavy 1000XP starbase projects, the important provision projects all require a nice chunk of dil.

• People who never expected to have access to Elite Fleet gear can buy it easily

I'm OK with all of that.

Me too.

I'm not suggesting the invite system be scrapped.

However, I'm not sure Lans experience is typical.
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited May 2014

I'm OK with all of that.

The red bit, is the reason why I like online games.... you always find greedy people, then along come those who like to upset them / troll them. :D
  • gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think you have a good point OP. Small fleets can just keep running low cost provision projects with little incentive if any to progress their fleets to Tier 5. I wonder what the Devs think of the whole idea? I'd imagine they like keeping dil as low as it is.
    All I know is that prices on the exchange are outrageous and much much higher than one year ago. Also the 150 Dil per Zen is the highest it's been in a long time. We need more EC and Dil sinks. With the number of Alts people can create and number of alt accounts one can have we've got players swimming in piles of Dilithium and EC with nothing to spend it on.
  • caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I also was thinking about this the other day, after seeing many adverts on ESD for free fleet access. While i agree it seems like a noble idea, i feel it could easily kill the incentive for people to even join fleets or progress smaller fleets they are already part of.

For some reason there has always been a lot of negativity towards fleeting up, maybe because there are a lot of douchebags out there that run fleets and take advantage of people.

We need reasons to boost fleet popularity, rather than pushing people further away from the idea of even needing to be part of a fleet.
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Fleet credit is easy.

Well that is sort of it though.

If you have 100x 5 man fleets....

All starting just small projects... they are still dumping in the exact same (aprox) amount of Dilithium... as 10x 50 man fleets.

So yes you may only have 10 of 100 fleets bothering to hit Tier 5... but those other 90 fleets are spending just as much D Per Person. Sure they are not completing the massive sinks... still they are completing the smaller projects. Which when you average out the number of people adding to them ends up being even anyway.

As someone in a small fleet I can say we are up around tier 4 on most stuff and sure on a few things like spire we got tier 1 to unlock provisions and just do provisioning missions on that one.

Still the 4-5 of us that log in now and then have been dumping D in at the same rate we would be in a larger fleet where 99% of the time when you log in there isn't anything to dump anything into to earn FC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The rise of the Zen/Dilithium ratio has very little to do with the generous offers by some fleets to use their facilities. The rise we've been seeing lately has everything to do with Season 9 not having another fleet venue to build, so no huge dilithium sinks. There are also no new cosmetic upgardes for the existing fleet facilites that would cost 200k dilithium each.

The fleets that give access do a great service for the community as a whole, letting people that belong to smaller fleets run as a small groups of friends remain in their fleet, while staying competitive with the 300+ fleets that have most of the facilities completely finished by now.
    That won't prevent those people from building their base with their small group of friends, it's a part of playing the game to experience anyway. They'll just do it at their own pace, without being forced to rush or feeling punished and left behind because of their choice to not belong in a mega fleet.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    the Red Bit, Is The Reason Why I Like Online Games.... You Always Find Greedy People, Then Along Come Those Who Like To Upset Them / Troll Them. :d

Stick It To The Man!
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited May 2014
    Well that is sort of it though.

If you have 100x 5 man fleets....

All starting just small projects... they are still dumping in the exact same (aprox) amount of Dilithium... as 10x 50 man fleets.

So yes you may only have 10 of 100 fleets bothering to hit Tier 5... but those other 90 fleets are spending just as much D Per Person. Sure they are not completing the massive sinks... still they are completing the smaller projects. Which when you average out the number of people adding to them ends up being even anyway.

As someone in a small fleet I can say we are up around tier 4 on most stuff and sure on a few things like spire we got tier 1 to unlock provisions and just do provisioning missions on that one.

Still the 4-5 of us that log in now and then have been dumping D in at the same rate we would be in a larger fleet where 99% of the time when you log in there isn't anything to dump anything into to earn FC.

Thing is, the dilithium for a provisioning project is a couple of days or so refining.

The dilithium for a project to build a tier, similar amounts.

But you need lots of the latter before you see any benefit, while getting provisions just for one such project.

While it won't be a universal rule, that will disincentive building tiers if alternate and cheaper routes to the shines is available.

As for a tier capping project, that's a lot of dilithium.

I have to be honest, I'm unsure what the solution is.

And i freely admit this won't even be an issue for some
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    As someone who has both received and given invites, I see both sides a bit.

Honestly, biggest thing I feel about the whole situation is that it is an equalizer. Such a thing gives those in small fleets, the fleets that may not ever reach tier 5 without a very, VERY long time. And it doesn't get any cheaper as it goes up.

Heck, presuming you did 2k xp a day on an SB area, with a 24 hour schedule, and ignoring upgrades atm, that'd take you at least:

250,000/2,000 = 125 days. Or about four months. Add about another month on top of that to include the time need for upgrades (and that is presuming they were filled instantly).

So about 5 months at least. An uber-fleet, be they small or large could obviously do it in probably 4, including upgrades if they had everything ready beforehand, and kept to a 20 hour time schedule.

But realistically, not so much.

Getting invites for everything except ships (as that is still rather rare to get), puts those small fleets on a much more even footing to larger fleets, and gives them the ability to get what they might not otherwise have as easy access to.

Also it frees those fleets from being tied down to new holdings as strongly. They know that as long as they get everything to tier 1, provision it, they can eventually get an invite for it. So, because of that, then they can work on what THEY want to work on.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have run our main fleet from tier 0 this time last year to tier 4 starbase and the other facilities completed)aside from the tier III spire we're working on now).
    In the beginning we had allot of people leaving the fleet to go to larger fleets to get the gear they needed as they saw an insurmountable grind before them.
    As time went on we found people willing to stay and build, many of whome paid for access to facilities before the advent of the serice channels.
    Now rarely do we ever have leavers and people often make use of the invite system, (I have informed all my members via fleetmail about the service channels). When it comes to fc generation when we reach tier V we already have plans in place for a new fleet so our members can flit between the two to generate fc in one and spend in another.
    With our relatively young (tier II starbase tier I other facilities) kdf fleet I'm finding the invite system to be a godsend as many members are happy to stay and contribute to the mountainous grind knowing they can get their gear allong the way.
    I think for fleets with casual or short term players in it this is a useful facility as players can get their endgame fleet gear and still contribute to the fleet as part of their gaming experience. They probably won't stay ingame the whole distance from tier 0 to tier V but they will contribute allong the way and live out their gaming time in sto happily.
    Does this impact the zen/dilithium exchange? Possibly. As I have heard of an increase in smaller fleets failing and we've found allot more work is needed to get newer fleets off the ground but it can still be done with the right amount of elbow grease.
    There will always be people eager to help build a fleet from the ground up as I have really found some gems in the early days of our kdf fleet, I'm always suprised at the number of members in our fed fleet who are still there and contributing since day 1 considering the turnover of active players I have on my roster. Out of around 490 members I'd say a good quarter of those at least have been there since day 1.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • captiandata1captiandata1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    maybe when the tech is ready crytpic the star trek online team will do what is being done in the reputation system which is have top tier repeatable projects to fleet top tier repetable projects?
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Firstly, I want to start by paying tribute to those who so generously make their T5 bases freely available.

They don't have to do it, and it's been very helpful to many people.

However, I have a nagging concern about the practise, regarding what I believe to be an unintended consequence.

I think the practise is a strong influence on the rising price of zen.

The fleet holdings act as sinks in the economy, this is well known.

As fleet holdings are completed, the supply of dilithium goes up and prices increase.

We usually speak of how, now the T5s are done, there is more dilithium around.

However, I wonder how many lower level fleets have stalled in their progression, as the incentive to grow is somewhat stifled by the lessened need to grow.

Why finish a tier 2 engineering tier, when you can just get an invite to a T5 base?

Tl;dr

I am concerned that free T5 access is slowing lower fleet progression down significantly, with a knock on effect on the price of zen.

bases are blackholes. they have no use until they are finished and all the options are open. you feed it and feed it but never really make any progress. You can kindo of figure out how long it will take your fleet to finish projects. Its completely unrealistic. Like in a year I can finally buy a console. And pay like 30K more dilith. But to just get to that item cost millions and millions of dilith. The smaller the fleet the more unbalanced it becomes. Like you can spend 100,000s of dilith and have nothing to show for it.

also if everyone didn't have equal access to items then the game gets really unbalanced since only people in huge fleets who have been around a while would have access to any of the high end items

the entire way bases are done needs reworking. I mean im grinding for a vendor so I can grind some more to buy the items it will sell me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • donowickdonowick Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Stores are open for all reguardless of tier of starbase but if you want T5 ship from another starbase. you have to join them and there are not many starbases that do that and so they will have to level thier starbase anyways. So if thier fleet has no provisions they won't be able to buy from other starbases stores. But ships are a different story because you have to use that starbases provisions. :)

I'm in a small fleet that is over half way to T5 on starbase and soon all holdings T3 (spire maybe 1 day to go). We have gone to other fleets stores and also share ours to others and had friends get fleet ships also if we had enough provisions.