test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can Episode Content Be Tailored to Faction?

gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I was playing through the new Borg/Undine episodes the other night and I generally liked them though there was some awkward dialog. It's quite immersion breaking when my KDF Warrior says "Make it so". lol
Little things like that, if they can be fixed, will really add to the quality of what's a pretty solid episode.
Post edited by gooddaytodie39 on

Comments

• Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Of course it can, lots of episodes already are tailored that way.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Of course it can, lots of episodes already are tailored that way.
    Badly at best.
    Klingon missions consider your character and crew as klingon. Denying the possibility you can be Gorn, Nausicaan, Orion, Lethean or alien.

As for the rom, I don't know if it was changed, but there were a lot of dialogues where you are referred as a fed/kdf. The first meeting with Obisek was awkward.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The newer stuff is better about treating Romulans as Romulan, but even Step Between Stars drops the ball at one point, where you have to side with your ally instead of Commander Jarok.
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    Badly at best.
    Klingon missions consider your character and crew as klingon. Denying the possibility you can be Gorn, Nausicaan, Orion, Lethean or alien.

As for the rom, I don't know if it was changed, but there were a lot of dialogues where you are referred as a fed/kdf. The first meeting with Obisek was awkward.

The titke says "tailored to faction" not "tailored to race". That is, as far as I know, not possible yet (nor is dialog tailored to gender). But it has been about 3 years since I read an official statement on that.

So tailors to faction can be done and is done, poorly or not.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The titke says "tailored to faction" not "tailored to race". That is, as far as I know, not possible yet (nor is dialog tailored to gender). But it has been about 3 years since I read an official statement on that.

So tailors to faction can be done and is done, poorly or not.
    Dialog can be tailored to race. Cold Comfort has an example. (one of the Breen) BUT, the overall story doesn't change, just the way things are phrased.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2014
    On very rare occasions your species may influence the outcome of a mission step. Usually this is an Easter egg that is present only because it is story-appropriate. For example, play the conference at the beginning of "Surface Tension" as a Bajoran.

While we do often check character faction during dialog, usually it's just to determine whether the character is Fed-aligned, KDF-aligned, or Romulan-aligned. Sometimes we drill down to separate cases for Fed-Rom and KDF-Rom, other times not. Generally these cases are just dialog, but there are a few rare places where it can alter mission flow slightly. For instance, in the Colony Invasion queued event, Fed-aligned characters need to chase down the diplomats and beam them out, but KDF-aligned characters can shoot the diplomats to incapacitate them and then beam them out.

Obisek actually had several pieces of new dialog written for "The Vault" to accommodate meeting Romulan Republic characters, and there's even a new accolade in "Frozen" if you play as a Reman and make a choice that Obisek only offers to Remans.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It would be nice to have more species-based dialogues though... Makes the players feel more involved in the story, rather than being rather insignificant part of it....
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jheinig wrote: »
    ...and there's even a new accolade in "Frozen" if you play as a Reman and make a choice that Obisek only offers to Remans.
    "I felt a great disturbance in the Cryptic, as if millions of Remans suddenly asked Obisek a question, and suddenly squee'd in delight. I fear something wonderful has happened."
  • Options
    captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    There is dialogue with the Gorn ambassador near the end of Surface Tension where he speaks to my Gorn science officer like im not also Gorn.
  • Options
    gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jheinig wrote: »
    On very rare occasions your species may influence the outcome of a mission step. Usually this is an Easter egg that is present only because it is story-appropriate. For example, play the conference at the beginning of "Surface Tension" as a Bajoran.

While we do often check character faction during dialog, usually it's just to determine whether the character is Fed-aligned, KDF-aligned, or Romulan-aligned. Sometimes we drill down to separate cases for Fed-Rom and KDF-Rom, other times not. Generally these cases are just dialog, but there are a few rare places where it can alter mission flow slightly. For instance, in the Colony Invasion queued event, Fed-aligned characters need to chase down the diplomats and beam them out, but KDF-aligned characters can shoot the diplomats to incapacitate them and then beam them out.

Obisek actually had several pieces of new dialog written for "The Vault" to accommodate meeting Romulan Republic characters, and there's even a new accolade in "Frozen" if you play as a Reman and make a choice that Obisek only offers to Remans.

Thanks for the reply. Since there is other examples of that being done, maybe you guys could make a second pass on the new borg-undine remastered episode dialog that I mentioned in the OP. The phrase "Make it so" is a very Federation Captain thing to say and could be altered to have a more KDF feel for KDF players doing the episode.
    My character was just a plain old Klingon here.