test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Timegates do not reward skill.

centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
An annoying trend with the recent PVE missions is to require you to do something for a certain period of time. While this is valid game design and has a place, I've noticed that it is becoming more and more common, to the point where almost every queue mission in recent memory involves it.

Cryptic. I ask you to please stop.

The reason is that it's not just that it's boring when overused (it is) but that it doesn't require a great deal of skill. You can join any of these and just barely pass because of people who have no idea what they're doing, resulting in less rewards for everyone. It's a miserable experience sitting there for 30+ minutes knowing that no matter how well you do you're going to get TRIBBLE all because everyone else is dragging their feet. Not fun. No.
Post edited by centersolace on

Comments

• Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    They're out of ideas; time gates and slider fillers are all they've got left. That and an art team which can turn poo into gold.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The reason is that it's not just that it's boring when overused (it is) but that it doesn't require a great deal of skill. You can join any of these and just barely pass because of people who have no idea what they're doing, resulting in less rewards for everyone. It's a miserable experience sitting there for 30+ minutes knowing that no matter how well you do you're going to get TRIBBLE all because everyone else is dragging their feet. Not fun. No.

The entire game doesn't require that much skill, so it's not really that big a deal if you ask me. I see people refer to this game as spacebar online all the time. I'm guessing that if one wants to test their skills, PvP is really the outlet for that. Not PvE. So I'm not entirely sure what the issue here is.

You want to burn through some PvE in under 5 minutes, those Borg STFs still exist. Run them. You want to do something with one of the time-gated ones? And not PUG? Then put together a custom group? I don't know.

I just don't see any of the PvE stuff really requiring skill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Sadly, it's seems to be their way of "fighting" power creep. I mean, noone can complain about having the power to do PvE in less then 3 minutes if they gate it at 15 for everyone, right? :rolleyes:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    They're out of ideas; time gates and slider fillers are all they've got left. That and an art team which can turn poo into gold.

TBH their art team isn't THAT good, but i'd say they're superb at environment in general though(new romulus is still the most impressive thing in the game IMO), new ESD is pretty too, too bad it brings my PC to its knees.

i wish cryptic used that lockbox cash to get coders up to the same standard of their art team.

we would actually get a decent game this way.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The entire game doesn't require that much skill, so it's not really that big a deal if you ask me. I see people refer to this game as spacebar online all the time. I'm guessing that if one wants to test their skills, PvP is really the outlet for that. Not PvE. So I'm not entirely sure what the issue here is.

You want to burn through some PvE in under 5 minutes, those Borg STFs still exist. Run them. You want to do something with one of the time-gated ones? And not PUG? Then put together a custom group? I don't know.

I just don't see any of the PvE stuff really requiring skill.

That's not what I'm talking about. Doing well in the older missions requires everyone to have some degree of knowledge about what they're doing, and a sense of timing in order to pull it off. The new stuff lets people putz around and barely squeak by for 20 minutes. Not pleasant.
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    phoenicius wrote: »
    TBH their art team isn't THAT good, but i'd say they're superb at environment in general though(new romulus is still the most impressive thing in the game IMO), new ESD is pretty too, too bad it brings my PC to its knees.

i wish cryptic used that lockbox cash to get coders up to the same standard of their art team.

we would actually get a decent game this way.

Well it's not Cryptic, it's PWE. They love money. And Bran told me a while back that STO is PWE's most profitable game. It's more profitable to add sliders and time gates, I guess.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    Well it's not Cryptic, it's PWE. They love money. And Bran told me a while back that STO is PWE's most profitable game. It's more profitable to add sliders and time gates, I guess.

well, you could blame the time gates on people whining about things being too fast(guess who).

undine battlezone is one HUGE timegate and unlike the voth one it isn't fun(i'm in awe at how cryptic managed to do that, since space combat is vastly better than ground, but they did it lol), i don't know who at cryptic thinks that parking at a capture point for 5 minutes is fun, much less for measly 10 marks and 60 dil.

there is a reason why people gravitate towards the klingon capture points, and tend to ignore the others(especially the federation ones), since they aren't time gated.

to make things more awesome, the new undine STFs have very low rewards(with the ground one being the most sensible, which is surprising).

you know, we can just call the entire S9 a timegate and be done with it, i know i won't bother with it except for maxing the rep, and getting the ground set for visuals.
  • Options
    vhiranikosvhiranikos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If Mirror Event was any indication, people will just wait out the timegate until the period where the timegate ends and they have to actually accomplish anything.
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Y'know, I think part of this might've been because of last year when all the DPS folks did their thing. Running ISE in just over a minute, etc probably showed em just how bad it'd gotten.

But instead of...y'know, actually doing more about it, they took the easy way out and just time-gated more stuff so it doesn't matter.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    MMOs are not about "skill" they are about stuff.

The person is best who has the best/most stuff.

That's quite the satemant there. All the "stuff" you have can't help you if you no idea how to use it.