test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why does the Nicor have a Registry Number?

snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
Why would a bio ship have a registry number? Also, I've looked for it on the ship and can't find it. Is it actually there?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by snoggymack22 on

Comments

• Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    i've always assumed it was oversight by cryptic and that all fed ships have to have a registry number by default. as for the number actually being on the hull, i think it falls under the same catagory of "why can't i see my ship's name or hull registry (et al) on the hull of my (undine/jem'hadar/hirogen/romulan/klingon/et al) ship?"
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Cattle have tags. Gotta keep track of those bioships in the bureaucratic databases.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    They have because nobody gave two thoughts about how and why these ships are supposed to be playable in the first place. They make money, TRIBBLE consistensy or in-universe logic :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Why would a bio ship have a registry number? Also, I've looked for it on the ship and can't find it. Is it actually there?

Because if a Starfleet Captain wants to fly a ship, it must be registered. And needs a registry number. Even if it's not printed in the hull (is the name printed there, by the way?), it coudl still be in its IFF transponder and in the Starfleet database.

angrytarg wrote: »
    They have because nobody gave two thoughts about how and why these ships are supposed to be playable in the first place. They make money, TRIBBLE consistensy or in-universe logic :D
    This is the official explanation how they are playable - so it seems it was given thought...
    Undine Bioships are a complicated combination of organic tissues, engineered and grown for the specific purpose of serving as warships for the Undine fleet. Although originally designed to be manned and flown by as little as a single Undine pilot, the internal systems of every bioship available for use by Alpha Quadrant species have undergone extensive modifications. While these modifications have made larger crew compliments a necessity, they have also done away with the need for the ship’s pilot to have powerful psionic capabilities, or for the interior of the vessel to be flooded with bioplasma, thus allowing even Humans, Klingons and Romulans to fly these complex organic starships.
    Source: http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/3042883-season-9-dev-blog-%2318

It's not much, but most of the ships have such little background information.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    (...)

This is the official explanation how they are playable - so it seems it was given thought...

Source: http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/3042883-season-9-dev-blog-%2318

Are we really statisfied with such a throwaway line? They "made modifications" so that everything we see on-screen doesn't apply anymore. "They" being a Cryptic made-up consortium of Ferengi marauders, who sell those salvaged ships to individual Starfleet captains for a made-up currency that we find in magic lockboxes.

That is, at least to me, not enough :P:D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Are we really statisfied with such a throwaway line? They "made modifications" so that everything we see on-screen doesn't apply anymore. "They" being a Cryptic made-up consortium of Ferengi marauders, who sell those salvaged ships to individual Starfleet captains for a made-up currency that we find in magic lockboxes.

That is, at least to me, not enough :P:D

What I personally really want is a mission involving the lobi consortium and learn their background and more about the brilliant engineers and scientists it employs. I personally have no doubt that a competent team of engineers and scientists could make Undine ships useable for humans or klingons or romulans, because that's just how awesome science is in Star Trek, but I would like to know more about them.

Maybe I should make such a mission myself?

I probably ignore the "lockbox" aspect, though, and just treat it as a pure game mechanical concept with no in-world meaning. I figure the Lobi Consortium is selling ships to Starfleet, the Romulan Republic and the Empire, for whatever type of resources that people trade in Star Trek. (Dilithium and raw materials doesn't sound unreasonable.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Because if a Starfleet Captain wants to fly a ship, it must be registered. And needs a registry number. Even if it's not printed in the hull (is the name printed there, by the way?), it coudl still be in its IFF transponder and in the Starfleet database.

Agreed

That "explanation" is pretty stupid and not the result of giving much thought. It's essentially just "we refitted it to be piloted by humanoids" that's not much thought.