test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would you buy a Horga'hn Statue

neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Ten Forward
for $599

So I was on Amazon looking for stuff, and found this in my recommendations lists.

Now i can understand spending that kind of money on a Replica of a starship or soemthing, but on a piece of wood?

So would you buy that for that price? and have you ever spent a lot of money on Trek, or any geeky item that you treasure? :cool:
GwaoHAD.png
Post edited by neoakiraii on

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    for $599

So I was on Amazon looking for stuff, and found this in my recommendations lists.

Now i can understand spending that kind of money on a Replica of a starship or soemthing, but on a piece of wood?

So would you buy that for that price? and have you ever spent a lot of money on Trek, or any geeky item that you treasure? :cool:

It is a must have item for any Star Trek player.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    for $599

Amazon thinks you're really desperate for jamaharon, clearly.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    i prefer to keep my trek side, lolcats and geek fun in the game, RL aquisition is taking the game too far
  • Options
    defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It isn't even wood, it's just a polyurethane resin replica made in a silicon mold with faux-wood finish and a coat of paint.

I am no expert on making something like this. Perhaps someone else who reads the description can guesstimate the true value of this item given the needed materials the time it would take to create.
    Seems like a con to me. Someone knows trek fans will pay through the nose.

If it was the actual prop from the show, then I could understand a high price. Not that I would,buy that either but it would make sense.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Seems like a con to me. Someone knows trek fans will pay through the nose.

If it was the actual prop from the show, then I could understand a high price. Not that I would,buy that either but it would make sense.

i just thought that was something from the game, i didnt know they had em in the show too
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    catstarsto wrote: »
    i just thought that was something from the game, i didnt know they had em in the show too

They're from DS9: "Let He Who Is Without Sin...", an episode which was frankly not very good. Not "Threshold" terrible by a long shot, or even "Profit and Lace" terrible, but still a lousy episode.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2014

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/9646/10500196_2.jpg

Originated in TNG with Captain's holiday
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/9646/10500196_2.jpg

Originated in TNG with Captain's holiday

how about that, never noticed it before :eek:
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Would you buy a Horga'hn Statue

Isn't that the Star Trek equivalent of the 'DO YOU WANT GIRLZ' popups on every other page on the internet?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    there are more "interesting" ways of asking for a girl to help you out then some silly statuette on amazon. but ive already been slapped on the wrist for going too far with such a topic type already, so thats all im gonna state :P.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    How do you let the ladies know you're lookin'?

Whip out your huge horga'hn! Nothing gets the ladies stopping in their tracks like a nice piece of wood!
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »

I would have gone for a replica of Sting or maybe a Bat'leth but a crown works too. Now you just need the broken blade (flame of the west) sword to go with the crown.:cool:
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I can't see paying $500 for that, being resin and not wood, being a replica and not an actual prop.

I have, however, spent a fair amount on a Star Trek Three-Dimensional Chess Set, with 24k gold and sterling silver plating on the pieces and various accents.
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    For six hundred bucks, the original is probably sitting in a storage unit in Van Nuys...

From a collector's perspective... Oooh, cast from the original, this I approve of, but $600 is not just taking the TRIBBLE, it's bending the buyer over so they can receive their purchase head first... :eek:

I bet either Frakes or Sir Patrick has an original sitting on a book shelf... :cool:
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    i prefer to keep my trek side, lolcats and geek fun in the game, RL aquisition is taking the game too far

I have a 1:1 replica of a First Contact phaser rifle, a Mintaken tapestry, and two Vuhlkansu tattoos... :o
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    For that? No way.PT Barnum is laughing in his grave.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    facepaw.....
  • Options
    abrahamjohnson83abrahamjohnson83 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    just cult ;) yes
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Bought myself one of these http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-R2-D2-Interactive-Astromech/dp/B002KHN23S for $150. I will never get sick of this "toy". I consider it sophistocated enough to be a real robot. It is also tough as nails, fell off the top shelf of my bookcase twice with no damage!
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Bought myself one of these http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-R2-D2-Interactive-Astromech/dp/B002KHN23S for $150. I will never get sick of this "toy". I consider it sophistocated enough to be a real robot. It is also tough as nails, fell off the top shelf of my bookcase twice with no damage!

Got one of those from my grandparents a few Christmases ago. It's been gathering dust under my desk for years.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Over the years, I have amassed a sizeable Star Trek collection. I have a limited-edition reproduction of the Enterprise-D painting from Picard's ready room hanging in my living room. I have a playable Vulcan Harp hand-crafted by the guitar maker who made the one used in ST5. I have a full-size steel bat'leth that I've collected many autographs on. I have most of the Star Trek items made by the Franklin Mint, including the tridimensional chess board.

The question you have to ask yourself is: what is its value to you? Would I pay $600 for that particular horga'hn replica? No, but that's just me. If it's worth the money to you, buy it. If not, don't.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    How do you let the ladies know you're lookin'?

Whip out your huge horga'hn! Nothing gets the ladies stopping in their tracks like a nice piece of wood!

LOL!!

You'll find a lady, a beaver, or both ;)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Nah, I have my poster and model collection for all my geeky needs.
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited May 2014
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    For that? No way.PT Barnum is laughing in his grave.

There's a sucker born every minute
    And the biggest one
    Much more than none
    Is [laughter] me!

(from "P.T. Barnum", the musical)
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited May 2014
    LOL!!

You'll find a lady, a beaver, or both ;)

Or a fencer who only understands thrust ... and who calls Romulan pets "epees".
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Got one of those from my grandparents a few Christmases ago. It's been gathering dust under my desk for years.

To each his own of course. I have nice robot collection and r2 is so far the crowning piece. If i ever find a cheap used one I might build one of these: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T3-M4
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    bberge1701 wrote: »
    Over the years, I have amassed a sizeable Star Trek collection. I have a limited-edition reproduction of the Enterprise-D painting from Picard's ready room hanging in my living room. I have a playable Vulcan Harp hand-crafted by the guitar maker who made the one used in ST5. I have a full-size steel bat'leth that I've collected many autographs on. I have most of the Star Trek items made by the Franklin Mint, including the tridimensional chess board.

The question you have to ask yourself is: what is its value to you? Would I pay $600 for that particular horga'hn replica? No, but that's just me. If it's worth the money to you, buy it. If not, don't.

That is very cool :cool: How does it sound?