test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would you play a re-launched STO?

cavaleriuscavalerius Member Posts: 126 Arc User
So, first things first; congratulations Cryptic for a good-looking federation ship finally. Well balanced design, 25th century looking I suppose, with good stats. Power creep is prominent though; but it is shiny...

Now to get to the main point, which isn't a request for Cryptic, but rather a question for the players. Many of us have already invested heaps into this game. We've either boldly grinded where no one has grinded before with days clocked into the game, or committed casual genocide on an intergalactic scale with the galaxy's meanest ship, bought for a few thousand zen.
Would you still support Cryptic if it was all erased?

Imagine the (highly unlikely) event where Cryptic has recognised the full potential of STO and their 'secret project' is a completely remodelled Star Trek Online, with the majority of the Cryptic team working on it to provide such things as an upgraded engine, mass immersion, exploration and everything else we wish for, with much less bugs than there currently is. Essentially they make a near perfect MMO to rival the best out there.

Only catch is it's a different game, and characters aren't transferrable. Money invested isn't refunded from the original game, and the original STO is shut down days later.

Would you play and support Cryptic, or nerf em for wasting your time and money?
Beta Antares Shipyards advanced Starship development project.
CLASSIFIED
[SIGPIC]the_forseeable_future_by_jetfreak_7-d3dvsud.png
[/SIGPIC]
SUPPORT LOGICAL FEDERATION STARSHIP DESIGNS!
Post edited by cavalerius on

Comments

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    cavalerius wrote: »
    Imagine the (highly unlikely) event where Cryptic has recognised the full potential of STO

You were doing so good up until this point. I almost thought you were asking from an objective viewpoint.

As for your question, this is my answer.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Sure, I'd give a STO 2 a go if it's F2P, not sure why they'd close down this one to launch a new one, why not run both?
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    No. However I would almost certainly TRY another Star Trek game if they released it as a standalone alongside STO.

Like a separate TOS game, for example, or a separate JJverse game using a tweaked version of the engine and under license from Paramount.

It remains my largely baseless conspiracy theory that Dan Stahl is working on one of the two.

Something like that would need its own leveling curve, its own ships, and its own spin on mechanics. And could probably benefit from using Neverwinter's ground mechanics as a design choice from the ground up.

But that's a different thing that pulling the plug on STO's servers if it's simply a companion game in another era of Trek with its own mechanics, provided STO also remains in active development.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    What would be cool. Run this one, and one classed as vintage. Where you can run everything like Star Trek 6 and older. So we can be in high level Connies etc.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If that was their secret project, I'd probably laugh myself to death...
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited May 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    but if they could fix that, use a proper dynamic mmo suitable balance schema, reward people for effort put in instead of having been carried, and got the GUI, controls, abilities and AI sorted, then id be willing to go through the gearing again.

Same here. Definitely. Much as I love playing STO ... I would happily let the dream version of STO blow my mind on a regular basis.
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I am playing STO less and less and less and less (ironically, I'm going on the forums more ...)

I would love a non-mmo game ... which got DLC updates.

A high quality, fun, Star Trek game.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    There would have to be considerably more sand in the box for me to give it another go.
  • Options
    oakland4lifeoakland4life Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Cut the head of the snake and replace it with another head that understands how MMO mechanics and game play properly works then u have a working STO with some dynamics and balance that people can enjoy...

Even though there is no such thing as 100% balance, but with the right person running things that understands how this game works and put any effort into balance between Factions and put them on par or atleast near par with each other is good enough than what we have now...

After all this is a MMO game, not a TV show that put the main focus on one side with their Bias.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    cavalerius wrote: »
    Would you still support Cryptic if it was all erased?

Everquest 1 still exists. As does Everquest 2. And Everquest Next is getting ready to launch.

So if they made a sequel to Star Trek Online, yes I'd probably play it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    My thoughts are along the same lines. The same folks with the same management are going to have the same agendas and are likely to use the same methodology and make the same mistakes. It might start out differently, but sooner or later the impetus to make money is going to drive changes that players are probably going to hate and then we end up right back here with the same kinds of discussions.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Depends on how the game turned out to be. If it turned out to be like EVE or Star Citizen, I would say no. If it was more along the lines of a beefed up and expanded version of what we have now, then sure.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    hypl wrote: »

Myself along with you. :D
  • Options
    captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I wonder if it was always gonna be about the Iconians, or if they might of had some other plan, like between ENT and TOS? I think there should be a game like that someday.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    With the outline given?

No.

And that is because the outline shows this game shutdown to herd people to the new game with a negative incentive for it.

Now if they did another version of STO. A TOS version with all they know now? Sure I would pay for both gladly.
    If they went STO2 with some of the option we have now. F2P, gold subscribe, Lifer, and kept this one running as it still makes money? I would play both till the better game won out and I spent money there.

But the close down the servers to force a migration would send me away from the company as well as the title.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    To be able to play a Star Trek mmo that was perfect. I would gladly forfeit everything I have, if they couldln't transfer it over to the new IP, of course. I dont' think anyone understands what this means to me. When I say forfeit. I'm talking about $1500 dollors worth of purchased zen easy. Lifetime sub. LOR upgrade. 5-10 fleet ships for each of my char. 40 plus lockbox ships. 5 characters fully maxed. Over 1000 very rare purple duty officers. Not to mention the weeks upon weeks of time invested and still, I would trade up in a heart beat. No questions asked. But my idea of a perfect star trek game is Godly. Massive Open world sandbox type galaxy with no load times. Ability to see planets far off and to fly up so close to them to be able to land on there surface and do away missions or pvp. Able to instantly challenge someone in any enviroment and a 300x300 box lands around you both for the pvp match. You could fly to asteroid belts , planet surfaces, nebulas, anywhere at anytime to do pvp. OMG the pve....I could literly go on for days describing what the perfect ST MMO could be.
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,788 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I now play a Romulan, soooo apparently I AM willing to start over.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I play lots of games and try most large new MMOs. I am certain I would try a new Star Trek MMO; but I do not believe Cryptic will ever do a STO 2 - as I am certain that would require a whole new license from CBS.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    due to my experiences here at sto, i would never sign up for another pwe/cryptic game ever again.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    due to my experiences here at sto, i would never sign up for another pwe/cryptic game ever again.

Same here.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    To be honest, I would play the new one to try it out. However, that will be it.

However, if they did an upgrade to STO, and transferred things over, I would love to play it. By upgrade, I mean that it is the same game, just with changes to make it more fun. The characters can be transferred, and the bugs are gone. Also, there is an upgrade to the AI, so that it is more challenging, and not just hard. (There is a difference in being challenging and just being hard).

If they just close the game and start a new one (even if it is better), without doing something for the ones that have invested time, energy, and funds into it, that would show a lack of appreciation for their customers. That is just my opinion though.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    An interesting post.

I've been thinking about how they should roll out a STO2 with a much needed new game engine while keeping this one still active, then eventually bleed out STO and get everyone switched over to STO2 by bribing the players to switch over in some way. The more I thought about it, the more I thought they shouldn't do it.

For me, it would need to be another Star Trek Online game, with a different name and with a different company and more partners involved.

This isn't to ding Cryptic, but their team size and being with PWE, it doesn't match what Star Trek demands for. Star Trek is more or less as popular as Star Wars, but Star Wars has big time players and publishers making their games with a much, much larger balance sheet. To me, this is what Star Trek needs.

Short answer: No.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    kavase wrote: »
    For me, it would need to be another Star Trek Online game, with a different name and with a different company and more partners involved.
    I believe you can find a post around here from Brandon indicating that Cryptic's MMO license with CBS is now exclusive - with the failure of ST:IS. You will not see another publisher making another ST MMO until Cryptic folds or loses its license - and it still has several years to go on the existing license.
    This isn't to ding Cryptic, but their team size and being with PWE, it doesn't match what Star Trek demands for. Star Trek is more or less as popular as Star Wars, but Star Wars has big time players and publishers making their games with a much, much larger balance sheet. To me, this is what Star Trek needs.
    I would only point out here that SWTOR could not last as a Subscription game for a year. Bigger companies do not always make more successful MMOs. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I play lots of games and try most large new MMOs. I am certain I would try a new Star Trek MMO; but I do not believe Cryptic will ever do a STO 2 - as I am certain that would require a whole new license from CBS.

I think they may actually be at the point where they could swing that now and PWE might bankroll it.

STO was already PWE's most successful North American MMO and I believe Geko said the last year was a record year for them in terms of revenue.

Shelling out for a companion game (again, not a shutdown; a second game) would probably make sense, particularly if they could port space combat and ships over and if costume work could be shared between the games.
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I believe you can find a post around here from Brandon indicating that Cryptic's MMO license with CBS is now exclusive - with the failure of ST:IS. You will not see another publisher making another ST MMO until Cryptic folds or loses its license - and it still has several years to go on the existing license.

I would only point out here that SWTOR could not last as a Subscription game for a year. Bigger companies do not always make more successful MMOs. :)

I'll take your word for it with the licensing. There have been other Star Trek games made in the meantime, but probably because they aren't MMOs they are safe to do so.

And I agree with you on SWTOR, I don't play it, it's just bad, but none of the less, it would be really nice to see what 'could' transpire should a ST MMO game be given a much larger company and balance sheet.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    STO was already PWE's most successful North American MMO and I believe Geko said the last year was a record year for them in terms of revenue.
    I have heard no indication that STO is still PWE's top MMO here. The only time that was stated was prior to NWN's Launch - and I have no doubt that fantasy-based MMOs are more financially viable then Sci-Fi-based MMOs.

For a STO 2 to be considered STO would need to be financially lagging; and as you stated, their revenues have been, by all indications, quite good. With a year's worth of Expansion Pack 2 on the horizon I do not see them going through all the trouble of getting a new STO license yet.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    After 4 years, this game has something resembling a polished and "finished" feel. Are you really asking for a STO 2.0, Cryptic style? And with PWE at the full helm?

This thread will give me nightmares.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,843 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm not sure to be honest, I've spent s fair bit of money between my LTS, LoR Legacy pack, and other things...not to mention all of the stuff I've ground out. I mean I could understand not getting dollar for dollar for zen refund back but I'd like to still have my LTS honored...maybe the Legacy pack.

It would be a hard thing for me to get over...