test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Engineers and Undine Infiltration

johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
Just played Undine Infiltration Elite and upon reaching the final tunnel entrance, one of our team decided to jump onto the closed hatch and block the entrance with a cover shield, preventing us from getting through to the final boss area.

The guy was a pretty rubbish troll, since he redeployed his cover shield after a minute or so and then started whining at us to leave the game, but still. Something should be done to prevent trolls from placing a cover shield across the hatch entrance.
You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
Post edited by johngazman on

Comments

• Options
    captainpirkocaptainpirko Member Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    pff. dont complain about the covershield man. it has so many troll uses, but that's possibly the most shrug worthy one. really, you cant do anything about trolls. sure some people will use the covershield for evil, but some of us just want to use it to dance a little higher then the rest (or climb onto things we're not supposed too, YAY KITTIES!)

nothing about the covershield needs to be changed. leave it alone. there are sooooooo many other things of actual worth of being fixed. covershield works both ways you know, just pin the troll to the wall and keep going.
    [SIGPIC]Timelords Fleet [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    pff. dont complain about the covershield man. it has so many troll uses, but that's possibly the most shrug worthy one. really, you cant do anything about trolls. sure some people will use the covershield for evil, but some of us just want to use it to dance a little higher then the rest (or climb onto things we're not supposed too, YAY KITTIES!)

nothing about the covershield needs to be changed. leave it alone. there are sooooooo many other things of actual worth of being fixed. covershield works both ways you know, just pin the troll to the wall and keep going.

Actually, I wasn't suggesting a change to the covershield, but a change to the area where you enter. Either so that a single cover shield can't block the doorway, or just make it so that players cannot place a cover shield there.
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Wow, really? One person prevents others from being able to complete a piece of content after spending a significant amount of time on it and you don't think that is worthy of dev attention?

They just need to modifying the map to prevent such a terrible potential trolling from ruining other people's experience. This should have been spotted and fixed before release.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    It's also a symptom of another major problem, that being that if someone does do something like that, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. You can't vote to kick them, nor can you remove the offending cover shield, so you're just stuck.

I know Cryptic does like this whole idea of not excluding anyone, but sometimes, there needs to be something in place to deal with trolls. People playing properly shouldn't be punished by having to replay the entire mission simply because Cryptic won't deal with trolling.
  • Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    To be fair, covershield is the most trollable ground ability and as an engineer captain myself I wouldn't mind if they got rid, or made it more like the voth set shield for when you crouch or something. In it's current form it can be exploited way too easily.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Sure it was a player? The Undine have the ability to deploy cover shields now.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    i never saw what the interest is in that cover shield, once long ago it could be used to exploit infected ground to keep the flying drone from bouncing the charge to other players, dunno if thats still the case, it could be used at completely the wrong time and such and capable of trapping a player in place as it happened to me once. the whole cover shield mechanic is rather absurd.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Sure it was a player? The Undine have the ability to deploy cover shields now.

Unless the Undine also have the ability to type "Lol" and "Now you all have to leave", i'm fairly sure he was a player.
    i never saw what the interest is in that cover shield, once long ago it could be used to exploit infected ground to keep the flying drone from bouncing the charge to other players, dunno if thats still the case, it could be used at completely the wrong time and such and capable of trapping a player in place as it happened to me once. the whole cover shield mechanic is rather absurd.

It has it's uses. In UIE, for example, the optional where you defend the Priest is absurdly easy if you plant a cover shield in front of him with a Med Generator behind it.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Why not keep Cover Shield as it is, just enable allies to walk through it?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    One of the many reasons why children shouldn't be allowed to play games. Seriously.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    One of the many reasons why children shouldn't be allowed to play games. Seriously.

really lol :P
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Cryptic will do nothing to stop people from ruining STF's.

They could make more soloable content. But instead they make an environment that creates trolls.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    foxfire2000foxfire2000 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    flash525 wrote: »

BINGO!!

Problem solved for everybody.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    chalpen wrote: »
    Cryptic will do nothing to stop people from ruining STF's.

They could make more soloable content. But instead they make an environment that creates trolls.
    You can't blame cryptic for the attitude of trolls.

I never thought about using a cover shield here, mostly because I'm not a troll, and this kind of ideas never cross my mind. I suppose that's true for cryptic when they designed the place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I thought the cover shield goes away after some time, but heck I could be imagining things.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    Just played Undine Infiltration Elite and upon reaching the final tunnel entrance, one of our team decided to jump onto the closed hatch and block the entrance with a cover shield, preventing us from getting through to the final boss area.

The guy was a pretty rubbish troll, since he redeployed his cover shield after a minute or so and then started whining at us to leave the game, but still. Something should be done to prevent trolls from placing a cover shield across the hatch entrance.

That's terrible. Sorry to hear about that. I think widening the opening would be a good move for the devs to fix this issue.

Wow, just wow. That really sucks man. I hope they address this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Cover shield frankly needs to be reworked or removed. This game's cover mechanics are basically nonexistent, so you can't shoot through or around it like you could something similar in Mass Effect. Therefore it serves no useful function and instead just gets in the way when you click it by accident. Or when TRIBBLE$holes start using it to TRIBBLE with people, as seen here.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Cover shield frankly needs to be reworked or removed. This game's cover mechanics are basically nonexistent, so you can't shoot through or around it like you could something similar in Mass Effect. Therefore it serves no useful function and instead just gets in the way when you click it by accident. Or when TRIBBLE$holes start using it to TRIBBLE with people, as seen here.

Personally I love playing an engineer and I use cover shields in a non-troll way. Namely if there's an ally who just died. I deploy the cover shield between me, the bad guys, and my buddy -- then rez. Drop some quantum mortars behind the shield or a medical generator to prevent them from getting hit.

That being said, Cryptic does have an environment that allows trolls to thrive. Instead of discplining the player, the most they will do is re-work cover shield or cause a 5 or 10 meter radius of the hatch to be unable to have cover shields deployed there. Whether it's something like Cure ground where an Undine radiation leak destroys all cover shields and force field domes around the hatch, or a small area is flagged as unable to have cover shields deployed (meaning the power is grayed out on power trays).

But as far as kicking the player or whatever, Cryptic isn't going to do anything. All you will need to do is suffer trolls and wait for the devs to get around to addressing that particular issue.

Which they will if it becomes a big enough problem -- or easy enough to put a band-aid over.

I would also support the cover shield having a NoClip option that allows allies to walk through them.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I thought the cover shield goes away after some time, but heck I could be imagining things.

It does, but it lasts a long time. It also vanishes if the engineer who deployed it creates another one elsewhere.

I'd change it so the shield can be targeted and destroyed by anyone, friend or foe.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    Actually, I wasn't suggesting a change to the covershield, but a change to the area where you enter. Either so that a single cover shield can't block the doorway, or just make it so that players cannot place a cover shield there.

One simple solution.

Set an objective trigger when the bomb is planted. This launches the AoE silence volume effect used in The Cure Ground which disables cover shields.

Then have a reach trigger flip once people arrive at the bottom which removes the silence.

In theory you could block the last person who set the bomb if one person waited behind to do this but it wouldn't block the team from completing.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would vote for the no clip covershield change for PCs. Mostly because I kinda trap myself with them a bit. . . :(

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Just make it to where teammates or friendlys can pass threw it. problem solved.
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    As a short term cure:

Walk sideways next to the Covershield.

Type /stuck in to the chat box

Teleport to the other side.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    That's terrible. Sorry to hear about that. I think widening the opening would be a good move for the devs to fix this issue.

Wow, just wow. That really sucks man. I hope they address this.
    Agreed.

Personally if this happened to me I would have simply stood where I'd drop through the hole as soon as the shield expired. :P

Since I'm doing Undine rep with a Lib Borg, I'd probably toss in a one-liner like "Trolling is futile." :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    We should be able to go through allied cover shield. Problem solved, several future trolling averted.
    It was suggested several time in this thread. Cryptic, make it so !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Reminds me of Door to "Paradise".

It was Covershielded once and caused a pretty significant traffic jam. THe captain that did it just stood on the other side and kept typing "lolololololololololololololololololololololol"
  • Options
    diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    foundrelic wrote: »
    Reminds me of Door to "Paradise".

It was Covershielded once and caused a pretty significant traffic jam. THe captain that did it just stood on the other side and kept typing "lolololololololololololololololololololololol"

That, and the people who would stand around typing on the New Romulus Transporter console when New Romulus first launched. Originally the console could only be used by one person at a time, so if someone opened the menu screen, but didn't transport, no one else could use that transporter while the troll stood there laughing at everyone who now had to walk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    flash525 wrote: »

I don't see why this isn't how it is now. There's no reason to keep allies from walking through it.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.