test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do players make "human" custom aliens?

Comments

• snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    tilarta wrote: »
    I've seen this enough times to be genuinely curious as to the reason why it's done at all.

I made a human looking alien ages ago, for the efficient trait. His backstory is he's a human/alien hybrid.

So he looks human. But is part alien.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    sirokk wrote: »
    ...and maaaaaybe... UNDINE! :eek:

Shhhhh, don't make me add you to my costume collection! :P
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I did this because I wanted a Human looking character but didn't much care for the default Human racial trait.
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A lot of people want to make characters they can "relate to" meaning.... guess what, Human.

I personally like playing non-humans. in fact, out of all my chars (12+), i only have two humans, both are liberated borg though.

Edit: I dont have "white orions" either. any orion i play... noticably green skin.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Efficient springs to mind. Lots of people like that Efficient Trait. :)

Then make a Liberated Borg instead.
    They are Efficient. ;)
    jestersage wrote: »
    Also, those white girls? They are possibly orion. Reasoning is that Orion girls are the only one that can wear bikinis everywhere.

There is no possibily about it!
    That's how I know they're not humans, because they're wearing Orion only female costumes.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    There are lots of human looking aliens from TOS and a few in TNG also. They could be Capellans or El-Aurians.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    There is a chance that alien versions of humans are not human all the time. As an alien they have the best of all worlds in costume options as well as traits. They could be human one day, and an alien the next depending on their mood. It's good to have a choice.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Human-like aliens have been a thing since maybe even before baby Kal-El crashlanded in Smallville. Human-like aliens have been a staple in sci-fi things for quite awhile and probably won't end for quite awhile, if ever.

Frankly, I see it as an extension of that idea.

Now, I wanna scrap my old Romulan Alien and remake him into something better. I dunno.
  • fomobretfomobret Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    To answer the question in the OP, for me, part of the fun of a game like this is to put myself in to it. I happen to have been born a human, so that's the character I want to create. I really wish the KDF had an option to put a human character in them. I would love to be a human serving in the KDF.
  • ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    LOL one of my klingons is alien and an attempt at undead although I kinda changed him recently because I was tired of the look. The other klingon i call him a wood elf he is very short and faily human looking with pointy ears. I like to be different. I tried to make a hirogen but it didnt work out so well once so i changed him cause he really didnt look particularly hirogen to me.

I have one classic character which is romulan the rest are aliens because of the fact they get an extra trait and I can customize him and change his race sorta. OH and recently I made a talaxian yeah.. but I prefer the aliens because there is more variations possible.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2015
    I have a alien KDF

I can make a Klingon looking one

Then a human

Then a Gorn

Then a whatever until I run out of costume slots its something to do when you run out of pew pew pew
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Because there isn't much else to make aside from superficially copying some of the other established alien races.

Some people want their half Ferasan/Caitian fantasy character (not anime catgirls, but more along the lines of Final Fantasy Mi'qote or half-furry humanoids), but can't make it (without exploiting secret tailor bugs).

Some want to be a four-armed Goro being, but can't make it due to the limitations.

Some want to be a tentacled lovecraftian horror, but can't make it due to the limitations.

Some want to be a non-fleshy being like Devidians or Photonic beings, but can't make it due to the limitations.

Some want to be as non-standard as possible like the Undine, but can't make it due to the limitations.

So aside from superficially copying established or original races (I did see a few classic big-head, bug-eyed aliengen aliens), it's just another convenient means of creating a more flexible human/mostly human being.
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Necro! Necro!
    I need a beer.

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,643 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I wanted a goatee for my Romulan, but Cryptic only allows clean-shaven. So: Alien!
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    My "human alien" is actually a shapeshifted Devidian who appears in human form (which is a canon ability for the race per "Time's Arrow"). So, there is a good reason for him to appear as he does.

KDF-side, it's also the only way to create a QuchHa Klingon, which is kind of stupid considering the QuchHa are every bit as much canon Klingons as the "modern" growling Vikings.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    <-- Do I count as a "human" alien? My reasons are pretty much these:

1) Choosing "human" or (in the case of the pointy ears) "vulcan" would've locked me into that look. Why choose either when instead, I can choose alien and get dozens of additional options at my disposal? If at some point, I decide I want to change my look to having pink skin, purple eyes, and either be really tall or really short, I can do that as an alien. But not as a human.

2) The overall theme for this character isn't entirely star trek canon material, but even still, calling it "human" or really any other fixed race wouldn't have been accurate.

3) I was a noob when I made this character and thought "telekinesis" was cool. :)
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    My human Augment KDF General, is not a pale skinned Orion with the seduction trait.
    He is geared, with devastating ground traits.

That is all.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It also leaves exotic "spare" costumes open and, being real, real people's faces tend to fall outside the slider ranges available to pre-set species. STO humans look plastic-y whereas I feel I can make more natural looking humans with Alien slider options.
  • olliereportolliereport Member Posts: 721
    edited May 2015
    aliens are the most awesome choice, extra trait slot?, I wish all my chars were alien

it's just that after making every bug-eyed cool thing you can think of it's fun to make something low-key or "stealth"
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Because I'm bland and boring.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It also leaves exotic "spare" costumes open and, being real, real people's faces tend to fall outside the slider ranges available to pre-set species. STO humans look plastic-y whereas I feel I can make more natural looking humans with Alien slider options.

That's true. I've had a few people comment, on seeing Alyosha, about the fact that he was clearly custom-designed as opposed to the typical "human" look on STO's humans.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It's the only way the Federation can get humans in to the other Factions? Because the Romulans and KDF don't want them? Well ok.. as doffs they're decent. Even on my Fed chars... none of them are human. 1 Vulcan, 1 Alien(Pre-New Romulus Romulan), 1 Betazoid.

Other than that. The RP side of things comes to mind.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,782 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have not made one, but I can easily imagine one reason.

To break the height limit. I have seen very tall and very short Captains that still look human. Outside of Gorns and Orions I have seen few tall and or bulky toons.

Although, I do see some Klingons in this game as being to large. Cartoonishly large. Like this large.

But that is only because I personally expect Klingons, Vulcans and Romulans to exist within human limits. It's my personal bias, nothing to do with canon or anything like that. Just my preference.

I say, if you're playing an alien, go nuts and make the Captain you will have the most fun with. And I have even seen Captains dressed like superheroes, so somebody is setting new limits to the STO costume maker. :)
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    edited May 2015

In the end, it's all about the sliders isn't it? :)

There are threads and threads over on the Champs board about how to adjust the sliders to make a Superhero look like a real human. Even if the hero is purple with orange hair and a green tail, these guys insist on making the hero's body look realistic.

No judgements here. :)
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have not made one, but I can easily imagine one reason.

To break the height limit. I have seen very tall and very short Captains that still look human. Outside of Gorns and Orions I have seen few tall and or bulky toons.

Although, I do see some Klingons in this game as being to large. Cartoonishly large. Like this large.

But that is only because I personally expect Klingons, Vulcans and Romulans to exist within human limits. It's my personal bias, nothing to do with canon or anything like that. Just my preference.

I say, if you're playing an alien, go nuts and make the Captain you will have the most fun with. And I have even seen Captains dressed like superheroes, so somebody is setting new limits to the STO costume maker. :)

The problem with this is. I'm seeing people created these overly large character. You know, tall, broad shouldered, big armed, and barrel chested. Then from the waste down twigs. I've even seen them do this with the premade races. In some instances it works when they make them an actual alien.

But when its a human, especially a super-hero looking one. All they're doing is insulting that super-hero. Because even the original artist would agree, something that looked that s.tupid wouldn't grace any of their comics.

It reminds me of a gym meme I saw on my facebook about a year ago. Showing a guy that looked like that, broad shoulder, muscular, barrel chested from the waste up, twigs for legs and the caption read, "Friends don't let friends skip leg day."
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,446 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I did use alien-gen to make a human Romulan captain. It was because I wanted a character whose background was that he had been, as an infant, the sole survivor of a tragedy that crippled the ship his family had been on, and he'd been rescued and adopted by a Romulan who later retired to Virinat to raise the boy. Physically, he was human; culturally, he was as Romulan as any green-blooded point-eared practitioner of skulduggery.

Make the other factions' main races available for purchase (much as the Klingon can be purchased for a Fed player), and Cryptic might make a little more money...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Necro! Necro!

This.^^^^^

Where's BlueGeek (or one of the other forum mods) when you need him/them? :P
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
    edited May 2015
    This.^^^^^

Where's BlueGeek (or one of the other forum mods) when you need him/them? :P

Wow. Hadn't even noticed. I mean, had to look back three pages of post to find where the necro began.

Let me be the first to say it then...

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAINS.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Holy S!!!! We have a ghoul digging up necrothreads. I didn't figure out this thread was a year old, until it was pointed out.
  • skyzack65skyzack65 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Love this thread ... and all the ideas I got from it ... LOL

I just wanted to add that one might check background before passing judgment. I've seen background mentioned a few times. And that is very important. Background tells the whole individual's story and will probably answer that question for each player.

I personally use human looking aliens for humans taken into slavery by Orions, or for Ruddy Orions which are not recognized by Federation Science. I read somewhere that Federation Scientists considered them an "Alien" blend with Orions. I'm also sure when the Syndicate up and relocated into the Empire, some ruddies and grays went with them After all ... ruddies where the wealthy noble class of Orions, and grays did the dirty work and do not have the seductive traits.

I do the same in Starfleet as Orion's of any color cannot serve in Starfleet except as KDF exchange officers. And Orions are normally between 6 and 7 feet tall. Can't use Humans for that and Humans don't come in Brute. Rigel, aka Orion, also had many "Human" looking aliens that we did see in TOS. Rigel IV to VIII were all populated with mostly human look a likes.

Lots of cool reason to have human looking aliens.