test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Feature request: No injuries allowed

questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
Lately i have noticed that many people enter Elite STF while having multiple injuries.

I would like to ask if a new feature can be added which stops people from entering Elite STF with injuries.
This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have an idea. To remove for good the STFS. lol.

More than that, i dont think there is a easy solution to that. People will not waste time going to buy regenerators or components if they dont have in their inventories. The good thing about stfs is that you can do em really fast between other things.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Oh great...

ObamaCare for STO...

If players want to enter STO with injures, then so be it.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have an idea. To remove for good the STFS. lol.

More than that, i dont think there is a easy solution to that. People will not waste time going to buy regenerators or components if they dont have in their inventories. The good thing about stfs is that you can do em really fast between other things.

I never use those components, I repair my ship and myself for free. :)
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Agreed on your idea. People should not enter an STF capable of 37 dps, due to being uberdamaged. A simple visit at ESD can fix up anyones ship. What should come in place with it is that people get a contact telling them why they cannot queue and how to fix it.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2014
    I think they should add fire and smoke trails comming from the ship

Each damaged system should cut your final reward by 20%

Damage to cargo bay would stop you from claiming loot ! hahaa

Your view screen would have lightining cracking across it...Fire /Flames comming up from the bottom of the screen getting bigger as you get more dmage
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The only way to get BNP's for Omega rep is elite content. The lower tier gear was removed.
    This is going to invite all the Derps to try elites for the BNPs.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »
    I think they should add fire and smoke trails comming from the ship

Each damaged system should cut your final reward by 20%

Damage to cargo bay would stop you from claiming loot ! hahaa

Your view screen would have lightining cracking across it...Fire /Flames comming up from the bottom of the screen getting bigger as you get more dmage

Might be even better.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Nice to have the NPC shutdown-for-repairs mechanic, then the more damage the more often the ship would shut itself down to repair
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    Lately i have noticed that many people enter Elite STF while having multiple injuries.

I would like to ask if a new feature can be added which stops people from entering Elite STF with injuries.

Stop infringing on my ability to roleplay!

The USS Tardigrade is currently stranded in the B'Tran, suffering from some serious battle damage after running into Donatra and her assimilated ship.

Also I'm RPing a captain with a broken leg that never actually healed.

The injuries are RP gold! Stop trying to take that away from us RPers!

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Stop infringing on my ability to roleplay!

The USS Tardigrade is currently stranded in the B'Tran, suffering from some serious battle damage after running into Donatra and her assimilated ship.

Also I'm RPing a captain with a broken leg that never actually healed.

The injuries are RP gold! Stop trying to take that away from us RPers!

;)

No problem with Role play, but everything has its time and place.

Guess what, an Elite STF (for what it's worth nowadays) is not the place for role play.
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    It doesn't matter really... People can do stfs with 2k dps.

Isn't that a strawman argument? Changing the subject so that the issue is perceived as more complicated than it really is and therefore more difficult resolve. You provide a poor counterargument to the solution the OP suggests as even a person with a measly 2k dps could potentially suffer a substantial loss in dps due to multiple injuries to the weapon systems and that's not even considering the ticking time bomb aspect of shield and hull damage. The point is that the potential loss of dps is easily preventable with a little bit of programming.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    anyonkaanyonka Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Why not add a npc medic at the beginning of the stf, because i've forgotten to heal before stf before.
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    anyonka wrote: »
    Why not add a npc medic at the beginning of the stf, because i've forgotten to heal before stf before.

or you are missing the particular medpack you need and don't want to run around the galaxy looking for the vendor....

One solution the problem is to make just ONE -ONE- class of heal/repair items. This would also cut down on Inv space needed. Like I have a bazillion "Critical" things and can heal any red level damage but never have to the lowest tier.

Or since you have a crew and a freaking sickbay on your ship, there is no reason you cant just heal your self all at one or over time.

Injuries were a silly mechanic added to appease a certain group of players who aren't even here anymore.

Its also NOT EQUAL. As a Tac I pull a lot of agro and mobs will seem me as the threat. Other ships/players are barely doing any DPS because they have some specific build about their shields or something and no one can be bothered to heal you or just assume because all the mobs are shooting at you, you are the tank
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Injuries were a silly mechanic added to appease a certain group of players who aren't even here anymore.
    I agree with this a little, although I wouldnt blame the players for it. The game was very rushed in the beginning and there are lots of little pieces of stuff lying around. Healing is an RPG mechanic, the only one in the game (no weight/agility or cargo weight or anything). Its like the crafting system, a monument to "hurry up and do something until we have time to think about it" and then they never think about it because "hurry up and do something" became institutionalized as the development methodology for everything.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Just make it so folks get reduced marks at end of stf... based on how damaged you are. and if you come in crippled you dont get the rep required component at all.

If folks want to fight at elite level they should be prepared... you can join in from anywhere so they should just park themselves at their local home system.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I've been afflicted on several occasions by a glitch that forced me to exit the game and restart before the game would allow me to heal injuries.... yeah, I can see that I have 6 injuries of various types, but the game would think I didn't....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Just make it so folks get reduced marks at end of stf... based on how damaged you are. and if you come in crippled you dont get the rep required component at all.

If folks want to fight at elite level they should be prepared... you can join in from anywhere so they should just park themselves at their local home system.

That isn't a viable solution; trolls don't care about the rewards. How does your solution account for that?
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    While I agree that it is bad form to go into any team event while riddled with injuries, I don't think there should be any mechanic explicitly stopping you from doing so.

What if you did it for the sake of creating a challenge with a team that had agreed to it?
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    While I agree that it is bad form to go into any team event while riddled with injuries, I don't think there should be any mechanic explicitly stopping you from doing so.

What if you did it for the sake of creating a challenge with a team that had agreed to it?

This is a case where the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2014

You can always throw in arguments "what if.."

Even if one or two want to enter with injuries for sake of Role Play or challenge this does not change the fact that in queued instances you put the rest of the team at an disadvantage.

So don't allow it for any queued STF. I could not care less if people create a team and enter filled with injuries, but keep that stuff (noobism bordering grieving) out of Elite STF

Use private matches if you want to RP or enter with Injuries.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    You can always throw in arguments "what if.."

Even if one or two want to enter with injuries for sake of Role Play or challenge this does not change the fact that in queued instances you put the rest of the team at an disadvantage.

So don't allow it for any queued STF. I could not care less if people create a team and enter filled with injuries, but keep that stuff (noobism bordering grieving) out of Elite STF

Use private matches if you want to RP or enter with Injuries.

Agreed. I would like to see Cryptic take a stronger stance on public que stf griefing and closing elite stf ques off to injured noobs/griefers would be a great start. Also, your use of the word noobism made me chuckle. Is somebody who practices noobism a noobist?
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    Agreed. I would like to see Cryptic take a stronger stance on public que stf griefing and closing elite stf ques off to injured noobs/griefers would be a great start. Also, your use of the word noobism made me chuckle. Is somebody who practices noobism a noobist?

There are newbies (new but willing to learn) and noobs (not necessarily new but unwilling to learn).

In the category "Noob" there are those who seem to strive for excellence in that particular category. One might just call them "noobists".
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2014

I'm not sure a lot of people are deliberately making injuries, so they can make a challenge match later.

Maybe the 5 players (or maybe they are 10 ?) concerned will be sad, but they'll find another way to have a challenge. Like for example making a shuttle team, t1 team, using only white gear....

There should be a warning for injuries, and the game should tell the player how to get rid of them, in case they doesn't know. And they should be restricted from queued events as long as the injuries are not removed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    No problem with Role play, but everything has its time and place.

Guess what, an Elite STF (for what it's worth nowadays) is not the place for role play.

An Elite STF is the perfect time for one to showcase ELITE RP skills, you ask me. A player that can balance their ability to perform under amazing pressure and still stay within the confines of characterization and star trek theme, is to me, the hardest of the hardcore.

Which is why I submit any suggestions that limit one's ability to role play a battle damaged ship, or a captain eschewing physical injury to take the helm in one last gasp glorious ride to victory, is not a suggestion I can get behind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    tigeraries wrote: »

I don't understand this sentiment above, as it contradicts itself.

If you want to fight at an elite level, you shouldn't take the lazy way out and just join in from anywhere. Especially the easy peasy lemon squeezy way of joining in from your home system. Fighting at an elite level should require you to fly to the static point of where the mission originates.

So on one hand you suggest elite hardcore players should be prepared and ready to face the toughest of the tough.

And on the other hand you suggest elite hardcore players should just be lazy and queue up for these missions from whenever and wherever.

That's contradictory.

If you truly support the ideal of eliteness and being hardcore, your ideas should make all things STF related harder and more difficult. Including basic entry into the encounter.

If, however, you're A-OK with people just popping in from wherever, all lazy and easy, then you really shouldn't press for these encounters to reflect anything elite. Including teammates harboring a damaged sick bay or some EPS malfunctions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014

I can understand where you're coming from, but there's better challenges than that. I think that there should be something preventing you from Queueing if you have too many injuries.

Hell, sometimes even I forget.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think the injury system needs a makeover as does the crew system, which devs have talked about ripping out. And if we're eyeing immersion, we also have too many ships blowing up.

Here's how I would handle it, through a mix of eliminating/modifying the penalty and modifying death:

1) When you hit zero hull, your ship is disabled, like what happens when you are knocked out in ground combat.

2) You have a repair timer, which is your time until you can make a free repair, in place. The timer gets longer with each death.

3) You can revive yourself, in place, ahead of the timer. But this will be based on a list of injuries/damages which determine the cost of an early revival. And rather than using commodities, you simply get an EC cost for early repairs.

So what you see here when you die is your ship, adrift, with a window that has "Time Until Repair" and a list of injuries below that. At the bottom of the window is "Cost to Repair Now" and if you have enough EC, you can press a button to revive instantly.

3) At the end of the timer, other players can revive you you in place, similar to a ground revival.

4) At the end of the timer, you also have the option to "Warp Out and Repair". Taking this option can only be done at the end of the timer. It will show your ship sputter out, damaged, and respawn at the last spawn point, intact.

So the window at the end of the Repair Timer no longer lists a cost and has two options:

Distress Signal (ala Call for Help on Ground)

AND

Repair and Regroup

At no point do you see player ships blow up unless there's a story reason (such as a mission that provides for destroying a ship as a means to trade in for a different one) -- and blown up ships if they ever happen are actually blown up.

This would enhance the team aspect considerably. It provides an EC sink. If the concern is about people going all Leeroy Jenkins, the system could also be coded so that each "disabled" state has more and more injuries and a longer timer, creating an EC sink. And tankier ships could get features which shorten the respawn or lower the EC cost of revival, making ships like the Galaxy and some of the clunkier carriers more viable. Self-rezzing is shorter and less costly for lower damage ships. This could be handled by a crew stat, by hull, and maybe even by weapon if, say, equipping dual heavy cannons causes more costly repairs than equipping torpedos. More damage? More can go wrong. Encouraging you to wait out the repair timer more or spend considerably more EC on higher damage potential ships.