test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

(Suggestion) Weapon Visual "Stack"

nitefiuunitefiuu Member Posts: 253 Arc User
I was wondering if we could have a visual GFX option in the settings to stack our weapon types on fire:

-example-

4x DHC + 3x Turret = only displaying a single DHC fire visual & a single turret fire visual

8x Beam Arrays = showing 1 beam from ahead and 1 from the back

and so on.. just to be more close to the start-trek series battlescenes

seeing 1 beam with the power of 4x imo would look super-cool instead of massing 4 beams from a single spot :P

one weapon GFX, same power. as a visual optional setting only ( like the way u disable borg visuals on your ship )
Battle Trek Online: KILL EVERYTHING
Post edited by nitefiuu on

Comments

• Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would love this. I really would. Don't see it happening though; it's been discussed before.
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    nitefiuu wrote: »

seeing 1 beam with the power of 4x imo would look super-cool instead of massing 4 beams from a single spot :P

It would look like the show. That is a good thing. Cutting down on visual spam: also a good thing.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    i dunno, i like seeing 8 diffewrent targets being hit at the same time with a 4x DBB FAW.
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I dunno, I kinda like the way it is now.
    I mean, for the show, the only reason it was usually just a single beam being shot at a time was pretty much because of budgetary constraints. But in certain episodes in TNG, for dramatic effects, we'd see ships shooting from multiple weapons banks in certain scenes. And as the years progressed and the shows got better budgets and equipment, we'd see the frequency of this phenomena increase.
    Plus, in a videogame format, it makes more sense to see more than one weapons bank firing in a combat situation.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I agree with this as an option for those who desire it. And as previously mentioned, the 'visual spam' could conceivably be cut down, and possibly improve the framerate of various machines.

But I'm not sure how practical such a suggestion is, other than maybe simply disabling the visuals on all but 1 of your weapons.

But then you get into the gray area of people disabling the visuals on all of their weapons so it doesn't look like they're firing at all, which would likely infuriate all four people in STO who pvp. :P
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    nitefiuu wrote: »

and so on.. just to be more close to the start-trek series battlescenes

This has no sense at all.. the fights right now are like star trek battlescenes, the only difference is, you dont see dozens of ships in em, just a couple most of the times.. and they are usually disabled after the two first beam attacks or a torp attack. Of course you cant do it that way in a game..

At first i thought your idea was about making some visuals not appear to make the lag-bug dissapear, but if that is not your goal.. it makes no sense at all.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    I agree with this as an option for those who desire it. And as previously mentioned, the 'visual spam' could conceivably be cut down, and possibly improve the framerate of various machines.

But I'm not sure how practical such a suggestion is, other than maybe simply disabling the visuals on all but 1 of your weapons.

But then you get into the gray area of people disabling the visuals on all of their weapons so it doesn't look like they're firing at all, which would likely infuriate all four people in STO who pvp. :P

unless the option is client side only, it would help those with lower end rigs and wont get all laggy in big battles.
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    I dunno, I kinda like the way it is now.
    I mean, for the show, the only reason it was usually just a single beam being shot at a time was pretty much because of budgetary constraints. But in certain episodes in TNG, for dramatic effects, we'd see ships shooting from multiple weapons banks in certain scenes. And as the years progressed and the shows got better budgets and equipment, we'd see the frequency of this phenomena increase.
    Plus, in a videogame format, it makes more sense to see more than one weapons bank firing in a combat situation.

It was never standard practice though, even after the bigger budgets. The Fire at Will ability would more than adequately represent it.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Anything that will help improve frame rates... :P